ADVERTISEMENT

Who says ECU is not our friend

HeelFan58

Hall of Famer
Oct 3, 2011
dook OC Scottie Montgomery set to be named ECU head coach. LMFAO I never even heard his name mentioned until today in connection with the job.

Ruff to uva as asst head coach isn't helpful, though. Hoos will be the most improved team in college football next year. Talent is in place; getting shed of Bunting Redux will pay off immediately.

with the changes at va tech and uva carolina may have an opportunity we haven't had for a long time: establish a strong recruiting pipeline in the tidewater virginia area! fedora, get those tidewater kids! GO HEELS!!!

with the changes at va tech and uva carolina may have an opportunity we haven't had for a long time: establish a strong recruiting pipeline in the tidewater virginia area! fedora, get those tidewater kids! GO HEELS!!!
who is our recruiting guy in that area?

But the changes at those two schools only make those two schools more attractive. That's the issue. I think we have a year or two of a head start, but Mendenhall and Fuente will both quickly show that their programs are on the rise killing any recruiting momentum we could develop.

But the changes at those two schools only make those two schools more attractive. That's the issue. I think we have a year or two of a head start, but Mendenhall and Fuente will both quickly show that their programs are on the rise killing any recruiting momentum we could develop.
What you say is true and all new head coaches experience a positive blip in recruiting their first 2-3 years, but.....

Selling division championships / being in the Top 10 / chance at the playoffs > selling hope and a rebuilding program

Appears that Miami, Virginia and VT are the winners in the coaching carousel. ezu
appears to have taken a step backward. Also, appears that dook football will drop back into the familiar slot near the bottom of the coastal

Ruff to uva as asst head coach isn't helpful, though. Hoos will be the most improved team in college football next year. Talent is in place; getting shed of Bunting Redux will pay off immediately.
The key there is to tap the Virginia recruiting pipeline and not let UVa/VT pull it away again like happened when Butch Davis was let go.

Selling division championships / being in the Top 10 / chance at the playoffs > selling hope and a rebuilding program

But we're selling division championships / being in the top 10 / chance at the playoffs to Virginia kids. VT and UVa will be selling hope and rebuild to kids that already want to go there and just need a reason to.

ECU's AD will be losing his job soon. What a dumpster fire. Comparative to NC State's most recent searches.

But we're selling division championships / being in the top 10 / chance at the playoffs to Virginia kids. VT and UVa will be selling hope and rebuild to kids that already want to go there and just need a reason to.
Them being from Virginia doesn't necessarily equate to them wanting to go to VT or UVA. I'm sure some do, and I'm sure for others, the proximity at least helps the Cavs' and Hokies' case. But as we've seen many times, a recruit simply being an in-state resident does not mean they can/would/do end up at an in-state school.

Carolina has had major success in Virginia, and I expect that trend to continue. And besides, Virginia is just one of three key states we focus on with our recruiting strategy (NC and GA being the other two + Jacksonville), so we just need to get a select few targets from Virginia, not our whole class.

Them being from Virginia doesn't necessarily equate to them wanting to go to VT or UVA. I'm sure some do, and I'm sure for others, the proximity at least helps the Cavs' and Hokies' case. But as we've seen many times, a recruit simply being an in-state resident does not mean they can/would/do end up at an in-state school.

Carolina has had major success in Virginia, and I expect that trend to continue. And besides, Virginia is just one of three key states we focus on with our recruiting strategy (NC and GA being the other two + Jacksonville), so we just need to get a select few targets from Virginia, not our whole class.

I agree for the most part. I'm just playing the numbers. What percentage of 3 star or better high school football recruits in the Commonwealth of VA stay in VA? I don't know the answer, but like most states, I'm sure it's significant. Throw in the fact that both schools now have solid to very good coaches and recruiters and I'm just seeing it as an uphill battle. So I don't think we can expect to expand our VA recruiting. In fact, I think we'll be lucky to keep the footprint we have.

I agree for the most part. I'm just playing the numbers. What percentage of 3 star or better high school football recruits in the Commonwealth of VA stay in VA? I don't know the answer, but like most states, I'm sure it's significant. Throw in the fact that both schools now have solid to very good coaches and recruiters and I'm just seeing it as an uphill battle. So I don't think we can expect to expand our VA recruiting. In fact, I think we'll be lucky to keep the footprint we have.
I think you're underselling our recruiting staff. Fedora's staff has kicked butt in the Commonwealth ever since he got here, especially in NOVA:

- M.J. Stewart
- Jeremiah Clarke
- Aaron Crawford
- Kyree Campbell (2016 class)
- Caleb Henderson
- Tyler Powell

Are all either current stars, currently in the 2-deep, or ones poised to have breakout years next year. Plus, not to mention Landon Turner is also from Virginia (an example of the elite talent we can and do nab from Virginia).

No doubt that UVA getting a competent staff makes things harder. I just think we'll do alright regardless. They've upgraded coaches. We upgraded our record!!

i agree the window of opportunity won't last forever, but recruiting is about building personal relationships. during a coaching transition there's an opportunity, however brief, for others to make some inroads. geographically, talent rich tidewater is closer to chapel hill than blacksburg, and not much farther than charlottesville. we can establish a recruiting presence in tidewater if fedora makes it a priority.

Reactions: Tru Blu Tar Heel
i agree the window of opportunity won't last forever, but recruiting is about building personal relationships. during a coaching transition there's an opportunity, however brief, for others to make some inroads. geographically, talent rich tidewater is closer to chapel hill than blacksburg, and not much farther than charlottesville. we can establish a recruiting presence in tidewater if fedora makes it a priority.
Spot on....If you can tap into Tidewater, Richmond, OR Nova, you've hit a major talent hotbed. NEED NEED NEED to make the inroads and make strong connections while both in state "powers" are in transition.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT