ADVERTISEMENT

GT vs UNC ultimate trap game?

DSouthr

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2002
Right off the bat, I HATE UNC PLAYING GT IN ATLANTA!!! Strange things happen there to UNC teams, seen really good UNC teams go to Atlanta to play not good GT teams and we come away tail handed to us. Go ahead and wrap your heat around this now, we are not going to get calls go our way, bet on some of our key players getting in to foul trouble, it is a cursed place for us!

Look at the set up, UNC playing like maybe the best team in the nation, coming off a long road win in Tallahassee Sat and short turn around to GT tomorrow night. GT, a candidate for worst in the ACC, they lose to everyone so they are not exactly easy to get up for or excited about. UNC at their place is their super bowl, it is their game 7 of world series, it is their season. They have nothing to lose, they are playing with house money, but we could lose a lot dropping to such a weak sister. Now that alone, with our history of STRANGE THINGS happening there is enough of a trap but look who we have coming up game after this, who we have coming to he Dome Sat, the dukies, UNC vs duke, the college basketball standard, the biggest game in all of college basketball. Duke lost their first game with GT this season while they beat them recently but maybe not by as much as you may have expected. WE are undefeated in the ACC so far, what is it, only 1 team by less than double digits and that was to the second ranked team in the ACC?

Not saying I think we lose this game but can't deny, this is the very definition of a trap game and as I said, CRAZY STRANGE THINGS HAPPEN TO UNC WHEN WE PLAY GT IN ATLANTA, don't forget, one of our 3 losses this season were where, Atlanta! So if the point spread on this one is at or near 20, ya may want to take a second and think about it, seen this one to many times to feel safe. What was that I just heard, crap, Cadeau just picked up his second foul and the game is not even played until tomorrow night!

Reactions: RHFD and r_u_worthy
Trap #5 in a row!

My comfort in this team stems from the fact that when we do have a lapse, we always make a correction! Could we start out flat-absolutely! Will we stay flat all game-unlikely!

Last edited:
Those trap games are less likely with experienced teams. Fortunately we have many players who have "been there and done that" so looking ahead should not be an issue.

I saw them play live at UGA early on, and they were just AWFUL that night... their inside guys were just throwing balls up inside like a middle school girls team. But they "looked" much better on the hoof. And of course they went on and beat dook (damn near twice). They have length and can shoot from outside. Their two freshmen who play are solid --- the PG is coming along and the Ndongo kid is gonna be a problem in the ACC, as he gets better every day.

They are going thru a rough stretch now, but I'm sure will lay it on the line Tuesday. Definite trap game if our guys come in with anything less than 100% focus.

As much as it sounds crazy, I want this team to lose sometime in the next month and a half.... just to take some pressure off... and I can live with an inexplicable road loss in Atlanta rather than losing in Derm.

I don't think so. Hopefully they watched some DVR of the last game and learned from it. This team, with all the experience, should never kook forward to more than the next game. That's the hallmark of a seasoned team and we should be there. That said it may well be under the vegas odds and a closer game than most think it should be.

This is now about staying undefeated as long as possible.

There are no trap games on the road.

This team will lose at home before on the road imo.

I would love to run the table all the way through the first week of April, but I will be perfectly happy with us maintaining our defensive intensity and fighting hard every game win or lose! (of course we will lose a game but so what)I had a discussion with friends last night and they keep telling me we will lose if.....

1. We don't play through Bacot-wrong!
2. If RJ has an off night-wrong!
3. If EC doesn't start hitting 3s-wrong!
4. If Ryan doesn't start hitting perimeter shots consistently-wrong!
5. If Pax plays at all-wrong!
6. If Ingram keeps backing peeps down all game-wrong!
7. As soon as they play either big or strong guards-wrong!

All of these things have happened and we are 10-0!
(17-3 and 2 of the losses are to top 10 teams!)

My answer = what exactly could any coach in history do to make our record any better? 10-0 and all but 1 by double digits-9-0 in the ACC-#3 in the country!

Well, by golly I sure hope Hubs makes some adjustments!

Reactions: Steat
I would love to run the table all the way through the first week of April, but I will be perfectly happy with us maintaining our defensive intensity and fighting hard every game win or lose! (of course we will lose a game but so what)I had a discussion with friends last night and they keep telling me we will lose if.....

1. We don't play through Bacot-wrong!
2. If RJ has an off night-wrong!
3. If EC doesn't start hitting 3s-wrong!
4. If Ryan doesn't start hitting perimeter shots consistently-wrong!
5. If Pax plays at all-wrong!
6. If Ingram keeps backing peeps down all game-wrong!
7. As soon as they play either big or strong guards-wrong!

All of these things have happened and we are 10-0!
(17-3 and 2 of the losses are to top 10 teams!)

My answer = what exactly could any coach in history do to make our record any better? 10-0 and all but 1 by double digits-9-0 in the ACC-#3 in the country!

Well, by golly I sure hope Hubs makes some adjustments!
Well your friends turned out to be right..

Last night we didnt play through Bacot and we lost - Right!
Last night EC didnt hit a 3 and we lost - Right!
Last night Ryan wasnt hitting perimeter shots consistently and we lost - Right!
Last night Pax played and we lost - Right!

Atlanta has always been a house of horrors for us, doesn't matter how good we are and how bad they are
I believe the last good UNC to struggle there was the 17 title team.. the 19 team with Coby white didn't have any issues against them

I disagree that it was because of it being a trap and feel it is more on GT playing and coaching a perfect game! We certainly contributed by missing bunnies and free throws, but they kept coming at us in waves and had several players playing above their pay grades! In addition, the switching from zone to 1 v 1 defenses was a brilliant stroke after fouling out our PG!

I don't mean to be dis-respectful toward GT, I do think they have the coach they need to get back what was once a really strong basketball program, Damon having that great Atlanta area hot bed of talent and he is a guy that can and I suspect will tap in to that hard. He does not have the talent level yet but his team plays really hard and when that talent level does get up watch out.

But this is not then, this is now and truth is our losing that game was not at all about what GT did, it was about what we didn't do, it wasn't about refs or any of that, it was that we simply did not match the effort and we executed poorly. It happens, it happens to every team and in the grand scheme of things it does not matter all that much. What matters is how we respond, how we respond to dropping a game that we should have easily won.

If you are a duke fan, would you rather UNC have beaten GT or lost to them in Atlanta, may sound like a crazy question up front but think about it. UNC was injured as a team by GT, we are hopefully like an injured animal now, injured animals are more dangerous because they are fighting for their life rather than fat and happy having fed on another meal. I suspect we see a team ready and eager to assert themselves physically, we may be to amped up to shoot it great but duke is going to have a fight on their hands and I don't know this duke teams is able to handle the physicality this UNC has both played against as well as played with so far this season. The joy in Durham about our loss to GT may be replaced with disappointment Sat night!

D, I did not mean to imply you were disrespectful to GT. BUT I didn't see many peeps remembering that the players on the other side have scholarships too! We let our level of focus an intensity drop and they took advantage.

I refuse to even try to imagine myself as a puke fan similar to never putting my face in a truckstop toilet! BUT they should be a little worried that this team is angry and knows it let an opportunity lapse! These players have demonstrated a tendency to bounce back hard after setbacks!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT