ADVERTISEMENT

Who would you say was the best small forward to play at UNC

Wing positions haven't always been so defined at UNC. The SG and the SF positions are often interchangeable. But here are some guys that I would offer.

Larry Miller - Maybe a 2, maybe a 3. But he was the real deal from all accounts. I of course never watched him play but he could flat fill it up. 2 time ACC POY.

Charles Scott - again, maybe a 2, maybe a 3. But the dude had 3 year averages of 22 and 8. Just to put that into perspective, Hansbrough won national POY with similar numbers in just one season. And Vince Carter isn't even in the ballpark.

Mike O'Koren - I know he's a favorite of Billy's and I never got to watch him play so maybe Billy can shed some light on why he was so great. I know he was super versatile though. Did a little of everything.

It's a shame that all those guys played before I was watching Carolina ball. As far as who I've watched, Vince, Danny, Rashad, Barnes and Rick Fox make that list.

I'd go with Larry Miller, he was tough, strong, excellent outside shooter, good rebounder, he could do it all. You could even lump Bob Lewis in there as he played the 2 & 3 depending on who else was there. He has the single game scoring record of 49 to this day, way before the 3 point shot.

Yes, I am a very big fan of Mike O'Koren . . great jump shot, though he was more of a slasher that could get to the rim at will, and a very good defender, here's a kid that brought us all of that from day 1 . .

Like point guards, UNC has had some great small forwards and that list is a fairly long one.

If, someone were to ask me who I wanted as my SF, then I'd have to lay claim to Al Wood . . . Wood put up some really big numbers in more than a few very important games the Heels played in. A pure shooter, there were times when he was just plain unstoppable as a scorer.

Originally posted by jah420:

Big Game James!!!
I always considered BGJ to be more of a PF than a SF . . either way, he was one of our very best and he carried the Heels in that '82 Title game with Georgetown. The Hoyas simply had no answer for him . .

I'm lucky enough to see all the above play.

If you can find a good tape with a close up of Larry Miller (say at the foul line), check his eyes. Guy was so dang good and worked his butt off all game every game.

Charlie Scott, to me, was a guard in some sets and then again a SF. I don't see him (in my memory) as an under the basket type forward, he was always moving on the floor.

O'Koren was just tough and scrappy. Not afraid to go inside and take it to you OR the rim (or both) and happy to get fouled cause he'd make the +1 or 2...

George Lynch without a doubt was another great ball player for the Heels. Glad we had him. He was incredibly important to a NC for the Heels. He simply did everything.

I'm sticking with the older list...not to slight the others, they were all great.

Originally posted by Tom79:

O'Koren was just tough and scrappy. Not afraid to go inside and take it to you OR the rim (or both) and happy to
Where did Bradley play while with O'Koren? I thought he was the SF but that was a long time ago.

Originally posted by CURRY2WOODYR80:

I'd go with Larry Miller, he was tough, strong, excellent outside shooter, good rebounder, he could do it all. You could even lump Bob Lewis in there as he played the 2 & 3 depending on who else was there. He has the single game scoring record of 49 to this day, way before the 3 point shot.
/\/\ This, and you can also add Mike O'Koren to this list. These 3 guys were the epitome of Carolina basketball when it was at its pinnacle.
I was fortunate to have been able to watch all of the mentioned players on this thread and let me tell ya. Larry Miller was DEADLY from anywhere on the court and could rebound with the best of them. He wasn't scared to get bloody and go in with the trees and come away with the ball. Same with Lewis and O'Koren.
Try and find some video of these 3 guys. Nothing flashy about them. They were all grit and determination and team ball. Something lacking in most college players today. Give me these 3 and a true Center who can step out and shoot the 3 along with a PG like Phil Ford, Steve Previs, or Ty Lawson and they would be a final four team every year.

Big Game James who I also love, but trying to find a reason to replace him above the 3 I mentioned is hard for me to do. I will say he would be then first off the bench to replace any one of them if needed.

Originally posted by franklin street:

how in the world do you guys see james worthy as a small forward?
That is the $64K question . .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT