ADVERTISEMENT

Will we beat UGA?

Will Carolina beat UGA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Chubb doesn't worry me that much as long as our DB's come to play so we can stack the box and blitz like crazy.
We blitzed very seldomly last season and when we did, it wasn't very effective. I know Chizik is stepping up the complexity this year, but I wouldn't expect a ton of blitzing. Maybe I'm wrong though.

We blitzed very seldomly last season and when we did, it wasn't very effective. I know Chizik is stepping up the complexity this year, but I wouldn't expect a ton of blitzing. Maybe I'm wrong though.
If Eason starts, I expect we will blitz more. Not like that's a leap or anything and it may not even signal any kind of real change in our defensive play calling this year. It's just the obvious thing to do to a guy who is starting his first game.

If Eason starts, I expect we will blitz more. Not like that's a leap or anything and it may not even signal any kind of real change in our defensive play calling this year. It's just the obvious thing to do to a guy who is starting his first game.
My main problem with this approach would be....a good rushing attack would render our blitzing useless. I have visions of bringing a DB on a blitz from the outside and Chubb breaks through to the second level on that side, and only the safety would remain between him and a monster TD run. If we blitz linebackers, I'm fearful our DL won't create enough of a surge and UGA's OL will get to the second level and seal off our backers.

I'm terrified of Chubb in this game, as you can tell. I really do think he will run all over us. Our offense better be effective early and stay effective. That's our only chance IMO. A lot of our fanbase, even on premium, are expecting a win. I think that's very naive.

Reactions: grillheel
Chubb will get his yards, but I look at Chizik and how he has prepared for guys like Chubb before. He has had a long time to get this defense ready for the kid, so I think that, along with being a better defense overall, will serve us well.

UGA has a new coach with new ideas, a lot of question marks in key positions and this is his opening game. I like our chances, but since we are relatively new at such games (as we saw by tanking against USuCk last season) you just never know. Aside from that, I have been pretty excited over UNC football before only to have my hopes dashed, so I am hopeful, but also realistic. I think we have a very good chance at winning and would love to really make a good showing, but UGA is no pushover and I think they could make some noise in the SEC this year if things come together the right way for them.

Either way, I think this is going to be a pretty exciting game to watch for college football fans.

Reactions: lerario
My main problem with this approach would be....a good rushing attack would render our blitzing useless. I have visions of bringing a DB on a blitz from the outside and Chubb breaks through to the second level on that side, and only the safety would remain between him and a monster TD run. If we blitz linebackers, I'm fearful our DL won't create enough of a surge and UGA's OL will get to the second level and seal off our backers.

I'm terrified of Chubb in this game, as you can tell. I really do think he will run all over us. Our offense better be effective early and stay effective. That's our only chance IMO. A lot of our fanbase, even on premium, are expecting a win. I think that's very naive.
Yes I don't think we are going to shut Chubb down, but I don't think we get less aggressive and not go after their freshman because of it. That may end up being a bigger mistake. I don't want the freshman to gain any confidence. I want him to prefer handing it off.

5 days remaining........................

My keys to the game:

- Put up a good number --> scoring as much points as possible will help our defense. In an ideal scenario, our offense would hum from the opening kick, and first-year coach Kirby Smart may panic and abandon the running game too soon if his team is down by 14+ early (this happened against us a lot last season by the way. The Pitt game especially. Pitt abandoned the run way too early, but they did so because our offense was so kickass and built such an early lead).

- Limit the bleeding from Nick Chubb & Co. --> let him get his yards but do not give up the home run. Bend but don't break. This works in tandem with our offense from Key #1. If we are consistently putting up 6, we can afford to let UGA take the air out of the ball and build long drives that we can try to "bend but don't break" against, like we did last season.

- Make Eason beat us --> Make the kid beat us. If he does, tip your cap to him.

My keys to the game:

- Put up a good number --> scoring as much points as possible will help our defense. In an ideal scenario, our offense would hum from the opening kick, and first-year coach Kirby Smart may panic and abandon the running game too soon if his team is down by 14+ early (this happened against us a lot last season by the way. The Pitt game especially. Pitt abandoned the run way too early, but they did so because our offense was so kickass and built such an early lead).

- Limit the bleeding from Nick Chubb & Co. --> let him get his yards but do not give up the home run. Bend but don't break. This works in tandem with our offense from Key #1. If we are consistently putting up 6, we can afford to let UGA take the air out of the ball and build long drives that we can try to "bend but don't break" against, like we did last season.

Good list. I'd add, don't turn the ball over.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
one more advantage for georgia: i hate to sound paranoid but georgia will be the beneficiary of a huge gift by one of the refs -- a horrible call at a crucial point in the game that will cause even the announcers to express shock. the fact that it's an SEC opponent with their home crowd makes this sad prediction even more likely. i hope i'm wrong but recent examples abound.

one more advantage for georgia: i hate to sound paranoid but georgia will be the beneficiary of a huge gift by one of the refs -- a horrible call at a crucial point in the game that will cause even the announcers to express shock. the fact that it's an SEC opponent with their home crowd makes this sad prediction even more likely. i hope i'm wrong but recent examples abound.

lol okay. Never too early to break out the excuse machine.

Reactions: Raising Heel

Maybe do some zone blitzes where we line up 5 on the D-line with a guy like Carney or maybe Fox if he's ready who drops back for coverage sometimes, sometimes rushes, and sometimes when dropping back, we bring a safety or cornerback blitz.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
Maybe do some zone blitzes where we line up 5 on the D-line with a guy like Carney or maybe Fox if he's ready who drops back for coverage sometimes, sometimes rushes, and sometimes when dropping back, we bring a safety or cornerback blitz.
It just depends how much the guys learned during spring and fall camp. If they learned a lot and have a good grasp on things, Chizik can get real creative like that with zone blitz looks. If they didn't....we'll have to be a bit more vanilla.

Reactions: randman1
To be fair if you want to blame officials for a loss then college football is your sport - it's usually pretty brutal.
And what's amazing is the calls always go against your team AND my team! And the announcers talk shit about your team AND my team. It's humorous what the bias of fans can do to distort our view of reality.

Oh good grief! The game hasn't been played yet, so let's not worry about bad calls until they happen. It is a FACT the ACC refs were horrible last year. It is a FACT that EVERYONE always feels they got hosed by refs at some point in some game. It is also a FACT that fans of UGa and UNC are passionate about their teams and with both teams having something to prove by a good start to this season, these fans are even more passionate leading up to this game. But, until the game is played, speculation about a ref might or might not do is pointless and makes us all look like moo fans. Sorry, but I don't want to ever stoop to that level!

With ALL that said, I confess that I would LOVE to get this game scheduled regularly. I LOVE UGa and always have. Beautiful campus, great school and aside from running off your coach last year who I happen to really like and respect, I have never had a reason to not like the place. Oh, and some of the other "scenery" is quite lovely, too! :)

Back to the game - Like I said, I think this will be a tough, hard fought game that is close to the end. As much as I would love for us to have a blow out, I just don't see it. I think we can put up a lot of points, but until our defense shows it has really improved, I have to think UGa will be able to score a lot as well. If that happens, then we could be in for a roller coaster ride.

Now, IF our defense has vastly improved, which I am cautiously optimistic it has, then we could win this one pretty easily, but I just don't see that happening. I think this game will go down to the 4th quarter and may even go down to the last minute. Who knows?

Regardless, I have always like UGa and likely always will. I like Kirby and I hope he does well - AFTER this game!

Reactions: lpayne21
To be fair if you want to blame officials for a loss then college football is your sport - it's usually pretty brutal.

NBkMP3m.jpg

Oh good grief! The game hasn't been played yet, so let's not worry about bad calls until they happen. It is a FACT the ACC refs were horrible last year. It is a FACT that EVERYONE always feels they got hosed by refs at some point in some game. It is also a FACT that fans of UGa and UNC are passionate about their teams and with both teams having something to prove by a good start to this season, these fans are even more passionate leading up to this game. But, until the game is played, speculation about a ref might or might not do is pointless and makes us all look like moo fans. Sorry, but I don't want to ever stoop to that level!

With ALL that said, I confess that I would LOVE to get this game scheduled regularly. I LOVE UGa and always have. Beautiful campus, great school and aside from running off your coach last year who I happen to really like and respect, I have never had a reason to not like the place. Oh, and some of the other "scenery" is quite lovely, too! :)

Back to the game - Like I said, I think this will be a tough, hard fought game that is close to the end. As much as I would love for us to have a blow out, I just don't see it. I think we can put up a lot of points, but until our defense shows it has really improved, I have to think UGa will be able to score a lot as well. If that happens, then we could be in for a roller coaster ride.

Now, IF our defense has vastly improved, which I am cautiously optimistic it has, then we could win this one pretty easily, but I just don't see that happening. I think this game will go down to the 4th quarter and may even go down to the last minute. Who knows?

Regardless, I have always like UGa and likely always will. I like Kirby and I hope he does well - AFTER this game!
My affection for UGa goes back to the Bill/Vince Dooley connection when I first became a fan as an 8-9 year old and more recently Todd Gurley being from my hometown.

I always thought it was based on the state abbreviation. For Georgia that would be GA.
When I asked a few posts up why Carolina fans do it, I was asking it rhetorically. 'UGa' is wrong and I was trying to point it out by being polite and not being an asshole.

As for state abbreviations, they vary based on what style you're using. For postal service abbreviations, it's "GA" ... for AP Style (journalism), it's "Ga."

Legit question. I guess I have just always spelled it that way. If I upset Bulldog fans, sorry. Certainly wasn't my intention.

Legit question. I guess I have just always spelled it that way. If I upset Bulldog fans, sorry. Certainly wasn't my intention.
It's not a big deal to me, it just looks odd seeing it as 'UGa' because 'UGA' is the accepted way. Perhaps, it was 'UGa' in the past? Looks like an old-school way to style it.

It just depends how much the guys learned during spring and fall camp. If they learned a lot and have a good grasp on things, Chizik can get real creative like that with zone blitz looks. If they didn't....we'll have to be a bit more vanilla.

It'd hard to imagine with a full year under Chizik they haven't progressed to be able to blitz more. These guys have been playing football for a long time now.

We have some serious speed at LB. My guess is we blitz a lot more.

My keys to the game:

And keep the referee Ron Cherry off the field....."Hodin on the offense"

I think I'm equally or maybe more worried about Sony Michel than Chubb.. dude gets into the second level quicker than any back I have seen in a while. I look back at some of the similar backs(speedy, shifty, catch out of the backfield) that we have played and they have gashed us. Watched some of his highlights on youtube...I would prefer to only have to deal with Chubb and not Sony and Chubb.. that is a handful ladies and gentleman..

I think I'm equally or maybe more worried about Sony Michel than Chubb.. dude gets into the second level quicker than any back I have seen in a while. I look back at some of the similar backs(speedy, shifty, catch out of the backfield) that we have played and they have gashed us. Watched some of his highlights on youtube...I would prefer to only have to deal with Chubb and not Sony and Chubb.. that is a handful ladies and gentleman..
Michel won't play, IMO.

Reactions: TarheelontheHill
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT