ADVERTISEMENT

Will we beat UGA?

Will Carolina beat UGA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Getting back to the game predictions, I think this is a 50/50 toss up. The most recent line I've seem is UGA -4.5, so Vegas certainly thinks UNC can win especially when you consider that line is likely shaded by a point with the way UNC's D ended the season and the historical ball-dropping in these season opening games and against the SEC in particular.

As we all know the game will hinge on two things:

1) UNC Run D vs. Chubb/Michell

2) Is Trubisky as good as everyone in program seems to think he will be.

Make no mistake if 2) is answered in the affirmative then we can give up 200+ yards on the ground and still win. Whether it's Lambert or Eason, Georgia won't be firing on all cylinders through the air and our secondary should be very good. As long as we don't give up 350 yards on 8.5 per carry we don't need our Run D to be anything special. Bend but don't break will give us a great chance of winning because or offense will score.

The Baylor game was a bit of a mirage imo. They mauled us in the trenches but two things were clear: we weren't prepared for the spread single wing offense they threw at us, and we didn't make any schematic changes to try and break it down. Late in the game even with way they had trampled over us while only completing a handful of passes, we were still playing two deep safeties with six guys in the box. Hell there were plays where we were outnumbered in the box at the snap of the ball. The defense basically has no chance in that scenario.

There's no way we line up and play as conservatively in this game. Chizik will be more prepared to throw multiple looks and possibly some different blitzes if the base D isn't getting it done. And our D tends to play much better against more traditional pro-style offenses than the spread. I still expect Chubb to get his and UGA will score.

They are replacing a lot of guys in the front 7 and will have a couple suspended for the opener. We should be able to run the ball and possibly wear them down as the game goes along. Their passing D was rated very highly last year but if you look at their schedule it was filled with pathetic offensive teams. Probably the two best offenses they played were Tennessee and Bama, both of whom were much more run oriented. Not saying we will cut through them like butter but I expect our offense to move the ball and score some points.

When it comes down to it I think this is a very even matchup. We seem to have the edge in experience (both coaching and on the field) but they will basically have a home crowd behind them. They have more experience in "big games" but the Clemson and Baylor games gave our squad a great snap shot of where they are and how much better they need to play to beat top teams. And the blown game against Scar could end up being a positive. Guys like Switzer aren't going to look at it from the fans' perspective of "we never win these types of games against the SEC". They know they had the Scar game won but blew it, and they saw how that anchored perceptions for the rest of the year. They'll be hungry to go out and prove they've gotten better and they won't want to have to hear all year "yeah but they lost to UGA so really who have they beaten?"

My head says that this will be a very close game that could be swung by a key turnover or big special teams play. We'll have to bring our A game to win.

My heart says it's close for 3 quarters but Hood wears them down and we pull away in the 4th. 45-28 Heels.

we are going to WHIP THAT NO GOOD GEORGIA BULL DOG DONKEY!

!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TAR HEELS !!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: randman1
I hope he's ready to go for the UNC game. I want Georgia at full strength, no excuses.

From one of my favorite comedies:

Maj. Demming: I think that I would rather live in the rottenest pig sty in Tennessee or Alabama than the fanciest mansion in all of Georgia. How about that?

Will Stockdale: Well, sir... I think where you wanna live is your business.

hqdefault.jpg

Getting back to the game predictions, I think this is a 50/50 toss up. The most recent line I've seem is UGA -4.5, so Vegas certainly thinks UNC can win especially when you consider that line is likely shaded by a point with the way UNC's D ended the season and the historical ball-dropping in these season opening games and against the SEC in particular.

As we all know the game will hinge on two things:

1) UNC Run D vs. Chubb/Michell

2) Is Trubisky as good as everyone in program seems to think he will be.

Make no mistake if 2) is answered in the affirmative then we can give up 200+ yards on the ground and still win. Whether it's Lambert or Eason, Georgia won't be firing on all cylinders through the air and our secondary should be very good. As long as we don't give up 350 yards on 8.5 per carry we don't need our Run D to be anything special. Bend but don't break will give us a great chance of winning because or offense will score.

The Baylor game was a bit of a mirage imo. They mauled us in the trenches but two things were clear: we weren't prepared for the spread single wing offense they threw at us, and we didn't make any schematic changes to try and break it down. Late in the game even with way they had trampled over us while only completing a handful of passes, we were still playing two deep safeties with six guys in the box. Hell there were plays where we were outnumbered in the box at the snap of the ball. The defense basically has no chance in that scenario.

There's no way we line up and play as conservatively in this game. Chizik will be more prepared to throw multiple looks and possibly some different blitzes if the base D isn't getting it done. And our D tends to play much better against more traditional pro-style offenses than the spread. I still expect Chubb to get his and UGA will score.

They are replacing a lot of guys in the front 7 and will have a couple suspended for the opener. We should be able to run the ball and possibly wear them down as the game goes along. Their passing D was rated very highly last year but if you look at their schedule it was filled with pathetic offensive teams. Probably the two best offenses they played were Tennessee and Bama, both of whom were much more run oriented. Not saying we will cut through them like butter but I expect our offense to move the ball and score some points.

When it comes down to it I think this is a very even matchup. We seem to have the edge in experience (both coaching and on the field) but they will basically have a home crowd behind them. They have more experience in "big games" but the Clemson and Baylor games gave our squad a great snap shot of where they are and how much better they need to play to beat top teams. And the blown game against Scar could end up being a positive. Guys like Switzer aren't going to look at it from the fans' perspective of "we never win these types of games against the SEC". They know they had the Scar game won but blew it, and they saw how that anchored perceptions for the rest of the year. They'll be hungry to go out and prove they've gotten better and they won't want to have to hear all year "yeah but they lost to UGA so really who have they beaten?"

My head says that this will be a very close game that could be swung by a key turnover or big special teams play. We'll have to bring our A game to win.

My heart says it's close for 3 quarters but Hood wears them down and we pull away in the 4th. 45-28 Heels.
I hear everything you're saying, and I agree it appears on paper to be a pretty even matchup.

But I just shudder to think of what Chubb will do to our defense. I can see it now: Chubb comes into the game and the talk is "well how effective will he REALLY be in this game?" And then he goes out and still gashes us for 200 yards.

I hear everything you're saying, and I agree it appears on paper to be a pretty even matchup.

But I just shudder to think of what Chubb will do to our defense. I can see it now: Chubb comes into the game and the talk is "well how effective will he REALLY be in this game?" And then he goes out and still gashes us for 200 yards.

Yeah I imagine Chubb's stat line will look pretty nice regardless of the outcome. But he can have a big day and we still win. He just can't have a career record breaking day. Which is definitely possible...

Uhmmm, so a couple dudes on TOS want Henderson to get a series against UGA, basically regardless of score. One of them stated, and I quote:

"Unless it really can't be justified in the game, I would love for Henderson to get a series against Georgia. And if not Georgia, at LEAST get him in against Illinois."

How about no? Lol. The ONLY reason I want to see Henderson in the game at QB is if we're winning by four touchdowns with 5 minutes left to go, and that ain't going to happen. Seriously, some of those guys over there.......I don't know what reality they live in, but it's a strange reality.

We very may well need EVERY offensive series we get against UGA, especially if we cannot stop Chubb. Why on earth would we throw away one of those series by plugging in our backup QB when there is no QB controversy to speak of? Fedora learned his lesson on doing that with Trubisky back in '14.

Uhmmm, so a couple dudes on TOS want Henderson to get a series against UGA, basically regardless of score. One of them stated, and I quote:

"Unless it really can't be justified in the game, I would love for Henderson to get a series against Georgia. And if not Georgia, at LEAST get him in against Illinois."

How about no? Lol. The ONLY reason I want to see Henderson in the game at QB is if we're winning by four touchdowns with 5 minutes left to go, and that ain't going to happen. Seriously, some of those guys over there.......I don't know what reality they live in, but it's a strange reality.

We very may well need EVERY offensive series we get against UGA, especially if we cannot stop Chubb. Why on earth would we throw away one of those series by plugging in our backup QB when there is no QB controversy to speak of? Fedora learned his lesson on doing that with Trubisky back in '14.

Yikes. Good thing we are paying Fedora the big bucks and not those clowns.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
To clarify, I'm all for backups getting playing time, especially the QB(s) of the future. But do that in your cupcake game on the schedule or if you have an insurmountable lead. Don't do it against one of the two best teams you'll face all year.

Plus, Henderson hasn't even won the backup role yet. Elliott could very well take it from him during fall camp.

Reactions: uncboy10
To clarify, I'm all for backups getting playing time, especially the QB(s) of the future. But do that in your cupcake game on the schedule or if you have an insurmountable lead. Don't do it against one of the two best teams you'll face all year.

Plus, Henderson hasn't even won the backup role yet. Elliott could very well take it from him during fall camp.
My feelings exactly. We'll have games where we can afford to get our backup some seasoning, I doubt seriously that will be the case against the Dawgs. We'll have to scratch and claw for 60 minutes to have a chance of winning this game. Still, my gut says we win a close one.

More news from Athens

Sounds like he had been a starter at LB but lost his spot. Yet was the leading tackler last year?

Was leading returning tackler because all other LBs had graduated - but two true sophs and a kid who reshirted with injury last year were ahead of him so was 4th ILB at best.

You can be a really mediocre ILB and get a lot of tackles.

Just want to say it again. There is way too much pessimism on this board at times.
GA does not have the O-line that Baylor had. Yes, they have a very good running game but Baylor had the highest scoring offense in college football last season and we were severely depleted by injuries and a lack of experience and depth.

It still was basically a shooting match. They could not stop us either.

We start the season without all those injuries, though there have been some. If Mitch plays as well as we all think is likely, our offense should be a powerhouse. Our O-line is rated by Athlon at 7th best in the nation. Our running backs are flat out awesome. Our WRs are too.

Exactly what is the worry here? GA's defense? You think they are going to stop us?

I don't.

That we can't defend the run better than we did against Baylor? I think we will. They have a new coach, learning a new system, not likely as great of an offense, our DTs are healthy and look good, and Chizik seems high on the linebackers.

Georgia's #1 and #3 tacklers have left. Their DL lost some starters as well. The bottom line is that both teams' strengths will be their offense. This should be a high scoring affair. Personally, I think both teams are going to have a difficult time time stopping the opposing offense.

This from Bleacher Report re: Georgia's interior DL:

First Team: DE Trent Thompson (So., 6'4", 307), NG John Atkins (Jr., 6'4", 300), DE Jonathan Ledbetter (So., 6'4", 251)

Second Team: DE DaQuan Hawkins (So., 6'4", 302), NG Julian Rochester (Fr., 6'5", 327), DE Chauncey Rivers (So., 6'3", 272)

"But with five underclassmen out of the six players on this two-deep, and fellow linemen Justin Young and Michael Barnett also relatively young, this crew will have to grow up in a hurry."

Much like UNC, the strength of their defense is probably their secondary. They also have a bit more experience at LB. And it's pretty much a given that their overall talent level is better. Still, I feel good about our chances.

Last edited:
Just want to say it again. There is way too much pessimism on this board at times.
GA does not have the O-line that Baylor had. Yes, they have a very good running game but Baylor had the highest scoring offense in college football last season and we were severely depleted by injuries and a lack of experience and depth.

It still was basically a shooting match. They could not stop us either.

We start the season without all those injuries, though there have been some. If Mitch plays as well as we all think is likely, our offense should be a powerhouse. Our O-line is rated by Athlon at 7th best in the nation. Our running backs are flat out awesome. Our WRs are too.

Exactly what is the worry here? GA's defense? You think they are going to stop us?

I don't.

That we can't defend the run better than we did against Baylor? I think we will. They have a new coach, learning a new system, not likely as great of an offense, our DTs are healthy and look good, and Chizik seems high on the linebackers.

I just hope we beefed up our D Line,after watching Baylor's O-Line manhandle our guys,it showed just how far we have to go to compete with the Big Dogs.No pun intended.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I just hope we beefed up our D Line,after watching Baylor's O-Line manhandle our guys,it showed just how far we have to go to compete with the Big Dogs.No pun intended.

We've beefed it up. Looks like both Dalton and Naz Jones will start and play together. Crawford, Dunlap and Clarke are all pretty beefy, particularly Crawford and Dunlap. Dinkins is not as beefy but apparently has made a lot of strides and might be best against some teams on the 2-deep.

Bart is very stout. Not so sure he can hold his own against elite O-lines but we'll see come Sept 3rd. He is a senior and so should be at his best with a lot to prove. Big question is whether Strowbridge will play like the high 4-star guy he was rated at but he's still green, at least hasn't played in a game yet.

Powell is another guy that might be a lot better after correcting a problem he's had since high school. Let's hope so. Looks like he'll play DE.

We need Drennon healthy and hopefully upping his game. The DE position and play is probably the biggest question mark now as far as the D-line.

Reactions: deandisciple
We've beefed it up. Looks like both Dalton and Naz Jones will start and play together.

Powell is another guy that might be a lot better after correcting a problem he's had since high school. Let's hope so. Looks like he'll play DE.

We need Drennon healthy and hopefully upping his game. The DE position and play is probably the biggest question mark now as far as the D-line.

Very excited about Naz and Dalton playing together, I think they'll mesh well. I agree about DE being a key for our DL. Drennon and Powell have the potential to be very effective if they can stay healthy.

I think our DL and our LB's will be improved. A year of experience in the new system can't hurt. our guys can think less and play more instinctively.

Reactions: randman1
Georgia's #1 and #3 tacklers have left. Their DL lost some starters as well. The bottom line is that both teams' strengths will be their offense. This should be a high scoring affair. Personally, I think both teams are going to have a difficult time time stopping the opposing offense.

This from Bleacher Report re: Georgia's interior DL:

First Team: DE Trent Thompson (So., 6'4", 307), NG John Atkins (Jr., 6'4", 300), DE Jonathan Ledbetter (So., 6'4", 251)

Second Team: DE DaQuan Hawkins (So., 6'4", 302), NG Julian Rochester (Fr., 6'5", 327), DE Chauncey Rivers (So., 6'3", 272)

"But with five underclassmen out of the six players on this two-deep, and fellow linemen Justin Young and Michael Barnett also relatively young, this crew will have to grow up in a hurry."

Much like UNC, the strength of their defense is probably their secondary. They also have a bit more experience at LB. And it's pretty much a given that their overall talent level is better. Still, I feel good about our chances.

All of the talk about our terrible run D is causing this to get lost in the shuffle. Between graduation/attrition/suspensions/injuries Georgia will be extremely thin up front for our game. If we can get Hood rolling downhill early and often we could have them completely gassed late in the game.

The pessimism is understandable give our history, but also think some are putting too much stock into that Baylor game and giving UGA a little too much credit. They are a talented team, but they aren't Bama, and they come into this year with a lot of questions on both sides of the ball.

If you took the names off the jerseys and just looked at what each team has coming back, and their overall strengths and weaknesses, you'd be hard pressed to come up with many reasons why UGA should be favored.

UGA would be foolish to rush their young QB ... especially when they have very solid runners ... Smart will put this on the shoulders of the OL / RBs and give his QB some easy throws. Should UGA have to make up ground fast then he might be prone to making a mistake. I think UNC can compete with UGA and will win this game but its going to be a dog fight. Everyone is talking O and D but don't forget about special teams ... run one back / make FGs / deep punts ... these all help also.

Reactions: tarheel0910
UGA would be foolish to rush their young QB ... especially when they have very solid runners ... Smart will put this on the shoulders of the OL / RBs and give his QB some easy throws. Should UGA have to make up ground fast then he might be prone to making a mistake. I think UNC can compete with UGA and will win this game but its going to be a dog fight. Everyone is talking O and D but don't forget about special teams ... run one back / make FGs / deep punts ... these all help also.
Good shout on special teams. Ryan Switzer and Sony Michel (if he plays) are arguably the two best punt returners in college football. Furthermore, both teams are shaky at long FGs and Carolina is very shaky at punter as of now. We brought in an Australian to shore up the punting haha

Good shout on special teams. Ryan Switzer and Sony Michel (if he plays) are arguably the two best punt returners in college football. Furthermore, both teams are shaky at long FGs and Carolina is very shaky at punter as of now. We brought in an Australian to shore up the punting haha
Switzer is a boss. Michel is good but think you may be thinking of #16 Isaiah McKenzie - he's returned 2 punts for TDs each of the last 2 years.

I expect we'll be starting freshmen at K and P, so that'll be a huge question mark.

Should be a fun game.

Reactions: matt 1976
Switzer is a boss. Michel is good but think you may be thinking of #16 Isaiah McKenzie - he's returned 2 punts for TDs each of the last 2 years.

I expect we'll be starting freshmen at K and P, so that'll be a huge question mark.

Should be a fun game.
That's good to hear. Maybe we can force a bad punt or two.

I was in Anaheim Stadium for that game in '93 and a lot of Trojan faithful had these stunned looks on their faces...

it was great!

9/3 can't come too soon...

Reactions: Raising Heel
I hope he's ready to go for the UNC game. I want Georgia at full strength, no excuses.

From one of my favorite comedies:

Maj. Demming: I think that I would rather live in the rottenest pig sty in Tennessee or Alabama than the fanciest mansion in all of Georgia. How about that?

Will Stockdale: Well, sir... I think where you wanna live is your business.

hqdefault.jpg

You got your wish.....he's back........

http://www.11alive.com/sports/ncaaf...et-to-return-against-north-carolina/307353765

Really hope Dalton and Bart are ready to go. I've all but written off the possibility of Drennon playing, but if those other two are out there and at least close to 100% then I think we'll be fine.

Really hope Dalton and Bart are ready to go. I've all but written off the possibility of Drennon playing, but if those other two are out there and at least close to 100% then I think we'll be fine.
Even if they all play, our D-Line is too weak to stop Chubb. We better redefine the term "bend but don't break defense."

Looks like Kirby is trying to find an excuse not to start Eason. He's by far the only QB on the roster who can strike fear in a defense....the kid can fling it. The run game should set up Eason nicely........not expecting Jacob to have to win this one himself but if it came down to that he's the only QB we've got talent-wise that could carry GA to victory. Oh, and expect the Dawgs defense to be nasty......we are very deep in the secondary.

Even if they all play, our D-Line is too weak to stop Chubb. We better redefine the term "bend but don't break defense."

Yeah definitely not going to "stop" him no matter who plays, but can we at least contain him? That will be the question. There will be some improvement in the DL from the end of last year, but will it be enough? Naz and Dalton are potential studs and we actually have nice depth in the middle, but still lots of questions and inexperience at end, and that's even if you include Drennon. Our offense is going to score points though, so it's not like the defense has to be totally lights out for us to win.

Looks like Kirby is trying to find an excuse not to start Eason. He's by far the only QB on the roster who can strike fear in a defense....the kid can fling it. The run game should set up Eason nicely........not expecting Jacob to have to win this one himself but if it came down to that he's the only QB we've got talent-wise that could carry GA to victory. Oh, and expect the Dawgs defense to be nasty......we are very deep in the secondary.

Lambert or the other guy will probably start but Eason is definitely the wild card. Our secondary, and pass D in general, should be very good despite all of negativity towards our run D. If your QBs aren't sharp they will pick off a pass or two. From everything I've seen I agree your secondary should be very good, but it seems like you'll be thin and inexperienced up front at least for our game with a couple guys suspended. It also stands to reason that it could take a little while for everything to come together due to the complexity of Kirby's scheme.

It should be a really fun game to watch, even though one fanbase will be leaving disappointed. I'm expecting a shootout and *cliché alert* it will probably come down to turnovers and a couple big plays one way or the other.

Is he doing that to lessen the pressure on Eason? I'd be willing to bet Eason plays significant minutes against the Heels unless Georgia is able to run the ball down our throats.

Is he doing that to lessen the pressure on Eason? I'd be willing to bet Eason plays significant minutes against the Heels unless Georgia is able to run the ball down our throats.
From everything I've gathered -- they talk about the Eason situation daily on the radio down here -- Lambert will be the "starter" but Eason will play early and often.

That's exactly what I think will happen. Eason is the future for them at QB and while he might not start, he'll be in there at crunch time, IMO. He's supposedly significantly more talented than his competition. Bring him on.

If i'm uga I go with the guy that is gonna make the least mistakes while they lean on the running gm.

With Dalton and Bart banged up, plus Drennon out - that's 3 starters off a DL that was not so good last yr. Uga should be able to do some real damage on the ground regardless of whether or not we load the box due to weak passing game.

I bet our FG kicker is strong this yr. I still think it'll be a shoot-out and come down to special teams, turnovers or whoever has the ball last.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT