ADVERTISEMENT

Will we beat UGA?

Will Carolina beat UGA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If i'm uga I go with the guy that is gonna make the least mistakes while they lean on the running gm.

With Dalton and Bart banged up, plus Drennon out - that's 3 starters off a DL that was not so good last yr. Uga should be able to do some real damage on the ground regardless of whether or not we load the box due to weak passing game.

I bet our FG kicker is strong this yr. I still think it'll be a shoot-out and come down to special teams, turnovers or whoever has the ball last.

Hi, I was just wondering if u (or anyone) had a link(s) to Dalton, Bart, and Drennon's injuries and/or status. Just trying to learn about ur DL and wasn't finding anything. Thanks & I hope neither of our teams suffer any injuries.

Hi, I was just wondering if u (or anyone) had a link(s) to Dalton, Bart, and Drennon's injuries and/or status. Just trying to learn about ur DL and wasn't finding anything. Thanks & I hope neither of our teams suffer any injuries.

You won't really find links out there because Fedora doesn't talk about or release any info on injuries unless they are season ending. So we are all kinda reading the tea leaves. The word on the street is that Bart and Dalton's injuries weren't significant and will hopefully be ready to go but Drennon's less and less likely to play every day that goes by without him practicing.

Reactions: avgfootballfan
caught the gist of a chat on an UGa website where an "insider" was sharing pearls with the faithful and from what I can remember the 3rd QB, Ramsey, is the one who can run, Eason is like Lambert, big but doesn't run as they are strictly pocket passers...

the O-line is being taught a new blocking scheme which by mid-camp they had not mastered yet, dnk if that will have any impact by game time,,,

and, like other teams there were questions about the readiness of some of the new folk and injury updates on others...

nothing of any real consequence except for the unmastered technique which might no longer be the case although that often leads to 1st game missed assignments, but who knows...

'bout all I can remember...

Last edited:
You won't really find links out there because Fedora doesn't talk about or release any info on injuries unless they are season ending. So we are all kinda reading the tea leaves. The word on the street is that Bart and Dalton's injuries weren't significant and will hopefully be ready to go but Drennon's less and less likely to play every day that goes by without him practicing.
This is sorta what I've been hearing too.

couldn't help thinking this could also be tit for tat...

if Kirby Smart wants UNC to wonder who will play QB for UGa then they might as well wonder who starts on D for UNC...

have also heard/read Dajuan is "likely" the only one out...

seems JMU might be when he returns...

couldn't help thinking this could also be tit for tat...

if Kirby Smart wants UNC to wonder who will play QB for UGa then they might as well wonder who starts on D for UNC...

have also heard/read Dajuan is "likely" the only one out...

seems JMU might be when he returns...

Hoping you guys start the same defensive players that allowed the Baylor backups to roll up 645/111 rushing/passing. ;)

Hoping you guys start the same defensive players that allowed the Baylor backups to roll up 645/111 rushing/passing. ;)
It's funny that the media here in Atlanta keep talking about "well UGA is just gonna run it all over UNC because last year, UNC couldn't stop anyone!" That totally ignores the fact that, you know, teams can improve from year to year. It's amusing to me because all fans do this. They say "well we got better in the secondary so now THIS season, we'll be able to stop Team X's passing game"....which totally ignores the concept that Team X might have improved their passing game lol.

That was a pathetic effort no doubt, but also a bit of an anomaly and people are fixating on that game a little too much. We had guys out and played a very basic 2 high safety formation all night even though it was painfully obvious it wasn't working. We were generous against the run all year, but we also won 11 games and gave up a lot of rushing yards in most of them. Also, UGA's OL is not Baylor's OL. Time will tell but I don't expect any repeats of that game this year.

That was a pathetic effort no doubt, but also a bit of an anomaly and people are fixating on that game a little too much. We had guys out and played a very basic 2 high safety formation all night even though it was painfully obvious it wasn't working. We were generous against the run all year, but we also won 11 games and gave up a lot of rushing yards in most of them. Also, UGA's OL is not Baylor's OL. Time will tell but I don't expect any repeats of that game this year.
I agree that people are fixated a bit too much on it, but at the same time..............can you blame them? That was PATHETIC defense.

Hope you guys show up with the same team that got Richt fired last year ;)

this actually made me lol...

and the know-nothing approach that the D-line will be the same when Naz Jones was in a walking boot for that bowl game, not just the best and most experienced player but the leader of that D-line, leaves me wondering what these folks actually know about the game of football...

the knowledge that basically the same people played so much better for most of the year, as compared to 2014, after Chizik came on board (which, taken alone, logically proves a big change is possible), should put someone with a functional brain on notice that the requisite improvement is not only possible, it may be likely...

but if you have QB questions/problems and your stud RB has not played a single down in a real game since returning from a major injury and surgery (and has only been hit by his own teammates who undoubtedly understand they need to be careful about the knee), and your team has a whole new coaching staff, installing new systems, you may think instead with your heart (or your posterior), rather than your brain...

such is the off-season...

it's time to play this game!

Reactions: maugwa
I agree that people are fixated a bit too much on it, but at the same time..............can you blame them? That was PATHETIC defense.

Yeah I totally get why people are hung up on it.

It was 1 game out of 14 though, and we've seen time and again that bowl game performance has very little correlation to success the next year, and is basically meaningless if you aren't in the bcs/playoffs.

I understand where it's coming from, but I'm getting tired of hearing UGA will run for 500 yds bc Chubb is really good and that Baylor game!

Yeah but it was also only 1 of 3 legitimate Top 20 programs we faced all season, and they were missing their starting QB. They started a receiver at QB.

Bowl games always have to be taken with a grain of salt. Remember a couple years back when Oklahoma destroyed Bama in the sugar bowl and Trevor Knight threw for like 400 yds? All the talk all offseason was how the Bama dynasty was dead and Knight was going to be the next big thing in college football. Well how did that turn out? Hell we got curb stomped by freaking Rutgers two years ago then came back to win 11 games.

It is true that we were not very good defending the run last year, and we might not be much better this year. But people are still putting waaaaaay too much stock into a meaningless bowl game where neither team was at full strength. If UGA runs for 400 yds and blows us out then I'll admit they were all right and I was wrong. But that's not likely at all in my opinion.

Whole different ball game fellas. Our run defense will be better because our OL will be a little better as will our LB. Just my opinion but I firmly believe that.

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH WHEN YOU'RE TALKING TO ME. NOW GO "BARBECUE" ME SOME CHICKEN AND WE'LL EAT IT OUTSIDE AT THE FAMILY BARBECUE AND ALL OTHER MISUSES OF THE WORD BABECUE
Don't you dare yell at me! You know who I am?

image_zpsjqhlol7h.jpeg

and you guys show up with the one who gave up 413 yards/258 rushing to the terrible offense of UF and you scored 3 points on offense.

Thanks!

I read about OL Ferranto's injury - sorry about that, I feel for him since he's a senior. Maybe with some luck he can make it back before the end of the regular season and play. I was wondering if you or anyone knows who's replacing him and does his absence weaken the OL?

Thanks!

I read about OL Ferranto's injury - sorry about that, I feel for him since he's a senior. Maybe with some luck he can make it back before the end of the regular season and play. I was wondering if you or anyone knows who's replacing him and does his absence weaken the OL?
The loss of Ferranto weakens the OL because of his versatility. He has played every OL spot except center and was slated to start at RG. There are still quality options at RG. It looks like redshirt freshman Tommy Hatton is going to get the start there but we might also play junior Brad Henson. The other 4 spots are manned by returning upperclassmen.

The 2-deep doesn't have much experience. UNC has recruited well on the OL but they're just not seasoned. Center and RG are arguably the deepest positions, so Ferranto plus two backups could've been moved around to fill any injury that arose. With him unavailable, UNC could be sent scrambling to find replacements, especially at the tackle spots.

The loss of Ferranto weakens the OL because of his versatility. He has played every OL spot except center and was slated to start at RG. There are still quality options at RG. It looks like redshirt freshman Tommy Hatton is going to get the start there but we might also play junior Brad Henson. The other 4 spots are manned by returning upperclassmen.

The 2-deep doesn't have much experience. UNC has recruited well on the OL but they're just not seasoned. Center and RG are arguably the deepest positions, so Ferranto plus two backups could've been moved around to fill any injury that arose. With him unavailable, UNC could be sent scrambling to find replacements, especially at the tackle spots.

Thanks!

As a Dawg fan, I'm hoping Kirby & Tucker got a plan to exploit that RG position bc if ur OL consistently gives Trubisky time and/or consistently opens space for Hood, the pressure will be on GA's O to keep up.

caught the gist of a chat on an UGa website where an "insider" was sharing pearls with the faithful and from what I can remember the 3rd QB, Ramsey, is the one who can run, Eason is like Lambert, big but doesn't run as they are strictly pocket passers...

the O-line is being taught a new blocking scheme which by mid-camp they had not mastered yet, dnk if that will have any impact by game time,,,

and, like other teams there were questions about the readiness of some of the new folk and injury updates on others...

nothing of any real consequence except for the unmastered technique which might no longer be the case although that often leads to 1st game missed assignments, but who knows...

'bout all I can remember...
Okay, I'm a combo Heels/Dawgs fan (undergrad at one, grad school and postgrad training at the other), so here's my take on this discussion:

1. Brice Ramsey can't run--and he's the third string QB. It's unlikely he will play, except maybe at punter. Eason is expected to start. He was the Gatorade National Player of the Year last year--but he is a true freshman (early enrollee, yes, but still a true freshman). Lambert, last year's starter and a Virginia graduate transfer, is the backup.
2. The Georgia OL is being taught a zone blocking scheme by Sam Pittman, arguably the best OL coach in college football. They've been a pleasant surprise. I don't think there are major issues with learning it at this point.
3. One of the expected starters on the DL, Ledbetter, is suspended for a DUI. He will not play.
4. The biggest concern is the readiness and depth of the Georgia DL. Sophomore Trent Thompson is one starter there. He was a five star recruit in high school and the consensus #1 player in the country his senior year. He'll be solid. John Atkins, another starter on the DL, was a starter there last year. With Ledbetter out, the other line positions are unclear. Much of the depth is provided by freshmen, all of whom are talented, but green.
5. Inside linebacker will be solid--an upgrade from last season. In fact, one of last year's starters, Tim Kimbrough, was so upset that he was beaten out by underclassmen that he left the team.
6. Outside LB lost two players to the NFL from last year's team, including a first round draft pick in Leonard Floyd. Taking their places are Lorenzo Carter, a former high school five star player who backslid last season after a stellar freshman season, and Davin Bellamy, who played extensively (and well) last season. Both are physical freaks with lots of experience and potential. i do not see any significant dropoff here.
7. The secondary ranked seventh in the nation last season in pass efficiency defense, and all four starters (and their backups) return. They will be solid.
8. Chubb is the starter at tailback. You all know him. Word is that he is close to 100%. Michel, who broke his arm in preseason, is a game day decision. Depth is provided by senior Brendan Douglas, freshman Brian Herrien and freshman Elijah Holyfield. And yes, Elijah's father, former world heavyweight champ Evander Holyfield, will be in attendance at the game.
9. The receivers are solid, but not spectacular. The tight ends, however, are extremely deep--three or four of them could eventually play in the NFL. Look out for the freshman Nauta. He's Eason's roommate--and a future All-American.
10. The kicking game may be shaky, with freshman starters at both kicking positions. The return game is in good shape, however, with lots of returning talent (pardon the pun).

That's the real scoop on Georgia. Looking forward to an exciting game in the ATL.

Let's put our defense, or lack thereof, during the bowl game into perspective - a task that most rival fans often ignore.

1. Health and depth issues on the DL.

2. Baylor had four all-conference OL.

3. Lack of preparation for stopping the single-wing.

4. They ran the ball 84 times.

We struggled mightily against their rushing attack - they averaged 7.7 yds per carry. Briles is a no-nonsense (at least on the field) type of coach and he wasn't going away from what worked. He knew our weakness, and given the circumstances, couldn't have done a better job exploiting it.

But as much as opposing fans like to bring it up, it's blown out of proportion.

We totaled almost 400 yds on the ground against State - averaged 9 yds per carry. And against Duke, we dialed up 400 yds through the air in the first half. Even against Baylor, they only gave up 0.9 yds per carry less than we did.

I agree Joe, it was a perfect storm situation. Their four all conference offensive linemen made our task very difficult, especially with Naz out. For the season, they ran the ball almost twice as much as they threw the ball, averaging 6 yards per carry in a good conference. They averaged over 600 yards of offense a game with over 7 yards per play. IOW, that's an extremely explosive offense guys. They were ranked in the top 5 for several weeks until losing three, that's right three, QB's to injury.

Bottom line is they had an absolutely dominating OL and were especially good at running the ball, something we struggled to defend all year long. We put 38 points on the scoreboard and had almost 500 yards of offense and only 2 TO's. That will win most games for you. But their OL manhandled our DL and there wasn't much we could do about it short of putting everyone in the box and leaving their receivers to run free.

Under Briles, Baylor has become one of college football's powerhouses and that game demonstrated that we have a ways to go before we're a top 10 program. But know what? If we have the kind of year I hope we're going to have, I think we'll be perceived as a team to reckon with and one that can be a top 25 team year in and year out.

I hope i am wrong on this but i dont think we do. Last 2 times we opened with an sec team we s!#/ the bed. After watching the baylor game agaisnt us i still dont see us stopping the run against a big strong sec front. Unless we have somehow become monsters up front on defense i just dont see it. GA will have a new coach and qb running a new system so there is hope

Ans I keep thinking about how Carolina looked in that Clemson game. Its a toss up. I might even give the edge to Carolina. It will be interesting. I think Carolina's offense is better than the UGA defense (which isn't bad, think Clemson) and the Carolina defense is facing a new UGA offensive system and QB.

Games are generally won lost in the trenches. And with both teams potentially starting QB's who have never started before, line play will be even more telling. Frankly, I believe both defenses will be a little overmatched which should help both QB's. Georgia would be foolish to not try and establish the run early and often to test whether or not UNC's porous run defense has improved from last season and to ease Eason's transition into college ball. I look for UNC to be a little more wide open in their offensive approach.

My keys for UNC are the same every game, stay out of 3rd and long situations, limit big plays and win the TO battle.

Chubb doesn't worry me that much as long as our DB's come to play so we can stack the box and blitz like crazy.

Reactions: randman1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT