ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Basketball

Some recruiting guru's have forecasted her to UCONN, as UNC and Duke are the Darkhorse's. Would be great if she would remain in the state of North Carolina and build a legacy. Guess we will find out at halftime of the game which starts at 10:00 am today.

Reactions: ohio tarheels
Well the announcement was made moments ago, she's headed to UCONN, the only good thing about that is it's not Duke. The second question is will she stay there for her entire career, or will she be in the portal in a season or two, since UCONN always over recruit current players.

• Sad
Hard to compete with UCONN when they really want a player! I was getting my hopes up as I saw our players transferring--thought they all might have known something.

Well there is a fifth reserve player departing freshman Rylee Grays, that's 5 of the bench players who have opted for the portal. So far none of the starters have opted out, including the ones who are eligible for a fifth Covid year.

Banghart is down to 9 scholarship players at the moment after Grays announcement of entering the portal. It's pretty much a no brainer now that Banghart will have to go to the portal for additional players, hopefully she will be able to add a couple who will be able to contribute. With Toomey and Thomas they have sufficient inside height and depth, just need to add some forwards who are shooters and rebounders.

Deja Kelly in the portal. Not good! We don’t need to lose our top player.

Different opinions regarding Deja Kelly, she seem to have regressed since her sophomore and junior season, for some reason or another this year was not her best season. Not sure if she tried to do too much, along with injuries surrounding the team, or something else.

Reactions: chickenhunter
Different opinions regarding Deja Kelly, she seem to have regressed since her sophomore and junior season, for some reason or another this year was not her best season. Not sure if she tried to do too much, along with injuries surrounding the team, or something else.
Even with regression, they are a better team with her than without her. Supposedly she's leaving open the door to stay. I wonder if this is somehow tied to RJ's decision.

Was wondering if it did have anything to do with the RJ's decision which has not been made yet, but this is pure speculation on my behalf, I wonder if there is something else going on here. Look at the pros, she's making a lot of money with NIL at Carolina, if she goes somewhere else and not be the focus point of that team will the NIL sponsorships continue?

I think she and UNC need a new start. While she is a superb player, a new school would be in her and UNC best interest.

Reactions: kjcooper
Well it appears that Grace Townsend will be joining the women's team as a PG starting the 2024 basketball season. She was a PG at Richmond for the past 4 years, and average 13.5 and 5.2 assist per game. Guess this may close the door on Deja Kelly returning this upcoming season. More to come later.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Find it somewhat odd that the women's team have four points guards currently on the roster, this is excluding Deja Kelly who has entered the portal. Based upon what I have read, and this is not 100 percent accurate is that she will not be coming back to Carolina for her Covid year. Must admit that Carolina has not been able to keep the starting PG's healthy for a whole season. Regina Kelly, McPherson have been unfortunate as they are unable to shake the injury bug. Probably the reason that Lanie Grant and Townsend have been added as PG's for this upcoming season, since Banghart needed some reassurance that she had someone to play the position.

Heard that Teonni Key will be transferring to Kentucky, with the players they are currently getting through the portal and new commitments, do not foresee her playing time increasing. But with that being said wish her the best with her two years of eligibility remaining.

One thing of note, Destiny Adams has turned out to be a pretty good players at Rutgers. Not sure what transpired with her and Banghart but she's the one transfer that left and I have said wish she was still here. She's putting up monster numbers since she enrolled at Rutgers. The other players who left seem to have regressed from their play at Carolina. Based upon what is out there now, it appears that Ustby may stay for her Covid year, currently they have 10 players on the roster for 2024 - 2025 season.

Reactions: tarheel0910
The information below is courtesy of The Next presented by XI. There are over 1.100 women currently in the transfer portal. Will be interesting to see where some of these end up.

North Carolina

Rylee Grays, 6’3, F, Fr. (1.4 ppg)

Alexandra Zelaya, 6’4, F, Sr. (2.1 ppg)

Teonni Key, 6’4, G, Soph. (2.7 ppg) Kentucky

Anya Poole, 6’2, F, Sr. (2.8 ppg)

Paulina Paris, 5’9, G, Soph. (5.9 ppg) Arizona

Deja Kelly, 5’8, G, Sr. (16.3 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 3.2 apg)

Great news, just hope that she will get more comfortable with her outside shooting this upcoming season. She's able to hit the 3 pointers, but do not attempt very many, and hope she is able to improve on her FT shooting, she should be better that 50 per cent at the line.

Lots of rumors about Deja Kelly, most of them negative. Is there anything to them? Do we want her back is it better for our team and her to move on?

There are some rumors out there, but do not take them as being authentic. Will say one thing though it's strange that she entered the portal, and there has been no information about any team of destiny for her.

With Grace Townsend transferring in, and Lanie Grant reclassifying believe any chance of Deja returning are about zero. Still have Kayla McPherson and Reniya Kelly coming off the injury list for next season the backcourt is jammed packed. Wish Deja nothing but the best on her future endeavor wherever that take her, and as stated she has been an ambassador to the Carolina women's program for the past four years.

Thanks for the info. I know she was one of my wife and my favorites although she seemed to have struggled this year.

Some of her struggles might have been a result of a depleted backcourt, there was three guards that were on the injury list the latter part of the season. Believe she was probably trying to do too much to compensate for lack of depth and tired legs prevailed. Still waiting to see where she ends up at, do not believe that she will be back at Carolina for her fifth year. But stranger things have happened.

Update on the Carolina women who enter the portal, and the one's who have found a new school.

North Carolina

Rylee Grays, 6’3, F, Fr. (1.4 ppg)

Alexandra Zelaya, 6’4, F, Sr. (2.1 ppg) - UNC Wilmington

Teonni Key, 6’4, G, Soph. (2.7 ppg) Kentucky

Anya Poole, 6’2, F, Sr. (2.8 ppg)

Paulina Paris, 5’9, G, Soph. (5.9 ppg) Arizona

Deja Kelly, 5’8, G, Sr. (16.3 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 3.2 apg)

Will update it as announcements are made.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT