ADVERTISEMENT

WSJ: Pending charges at top basketball programs

jcolucci

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2007
Federal investigators expected to unveil charges in probe into alleged kickbacks, bribery at top college basketball programs -- WSJ
Tuesday, September 26, 2017 01:21:21 PM (GMT)

• According to the WSJ, federal investigators are planning to arrest at least 6 people and unseal charges today as part of a broad investigation into alleged kickback schemes and bribery at some of the top college basketball programs in the country
  • The officials are said to have been investigating whether coaches at the institutions received payments from outside parties in exchange for encouraging their players to associate with said groups
  • Executives of at least one apparel company (which was not disclosed) are among those expected to be charged

Federal investigators expected to unveil charges in probe into alleged kickbacks, bribery at top college basketball programs -- WSJ
Tuesday, September 26, 2017 01:21:21 PM (GMT)

• According to the WSJ, federal investigators are planning to arrest at least 6 people and unseal charges today as part of a broad investigation into alleged kickback schemes and bribery at some of the top college basketball programs in the country
  • The officials are said to have been investigating whether coaches at the institutions received payments from outside parties in exchange for encouraging their players to associate with said groups
  • Executives of at least one apparel company (which was not disclosed) are among those expected to be charged
Well, that's interesting.

Roy involved?
So far nothing has been mentioned about UNC. Per Bloomberg the following have been charged:

-Lamont Evans- assistant at Oklahoma State University
-Emanuel Richardson, assistant at Arizona
-Chuck Person, associate head coach at Auburn University.

ETA: Tony Bland, assistant at USC has been charged as well.

Last edited:
Those aren't exactly top programs, other than Zona.
Must be more to come.
It's possible. These are federal charges, so you might start seeing a lot of people naming names to get reduced charges. The biggest potential thing to me is the apparel exec. I'm sure anything shady that he is doing isn't limited to just the few schools that are known so far. It appears it might be a Nike guy since 3 out of the 4 schools so far are Nike sponsored. That's just speculation on my part, but Nike sponsors a crap load of schools.

ETA: It looks like it is Adidas that is making the payments and UL is screwed. They are directly named multiple times in court documents.

Last edited:
I've been skimming through the court docs and UL might really get the death penalty or something that is just as bad. The FBI has wire taps, undercover agents and electronic surveillance showing a player was paid to go there. They are already on probation, so that just makes it worse. Same thing for Miami, although I'm not sure if they are still on probation.

All the Adidas schools were bragging last week about it passing Jumpman in athletic sales. That joy might be short lived.
I didn't really understand why that was a big deal. All they did was inch above a brand of Nike. Nike is still killing them and after this mess it might get a lot worse.

Reactions: heelz2345
EVidently two acc schools involved. Someone mentioned louisville, anyone know the other?
It's Miami. Court docs don't specifically name UL or Miami, but there is enough information given about school 6 and school 7 (as they are referred to in the documents) that it's obvious who they are talking about.

Reactions: nctransplant
"The men agreed to pay $100,000 to the family of one recruit and $150,000 to the family of another recruit, the complaint alleges. The schools were not named, though one was described as “a public research university located in Kentucky” with approximately 22,640 students. The other school was described as “a private research university located in Florida” with approximately 16,000 students."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...es-in-corruption-case/?utm_term=.58fedf94e65d

You mean to tell me college basketball is extremely dirty?! No way!

People talk about college football giving faculty headaches because they think it's dirty, but most people know it's always been CBB that's the dirtiest. Isn't even close, really.

I had to poke the bear a little on Radar lol.

And I'm not worried about this affecting UNC to be honest. We have run an even tighter ship the past 5+ years. I'm sure *something* involving us will come out, but it will be minimal compared to some of what's being reported about other schools.

Is anyone in the least worried that it might blow back on us in some way?

What? No. This is great for us. Everything about it is great for us. The timing is perfect. Once all of this is exposed, the shit that went on at Carolina will be seen as innocent mistakes.

As for our recruiting, I think it's pretty obvious we don't play the pay game. Either that or we're consistent lowballers.

What? No. This is great for us. Everything about it is great for us. The timing is perfect. Once all of this is exposed, the shit that went on at Carolina will be seen as innocent mistakes.

As for our recruiting, I think it's pretty obvious we don't play the pay game. Either that or we're consistent lowballers.
This!!

Yeah, I agree if anything this is good for us. It also looks like the schools really are byproducts here and not directly involved. Adidas apparently was paying but telling the schools none of that was going on, correct?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT