ADVERTISEMENT

WTF? Theo...

This just sucks.

I wouldn't count on mid December for a foot injury. Especially with his history of foot problems.
He missed 10 games as a Freshman with the same exact injury. Of course, I don't know how much of a time frame actually went into it, but with like 3 weeks until the season starts, I would guess that puts a mid December return as a likely guess.

I guess it depends on the type of fracture he had.

Type 1

• Classified as a fracture line with sharp margins and no widening of the fracture. Minimal evidence of periosteal reaction to chronic stress. A periosteal reaction is the formation of new bone in response to injury.
• Non weight bearing cast for 6-8 weeks or walking boot.

Type 2

• Fracture line that involves both cortices with an associated periosteal bone. The fracture will have a widening fracture line and there will be evidence of intramedullary sclerosis.
• A non weight bearing cast may be on for longer than 8 weeks.
• In athletes these fractures are usually treated with screw fixation.

Type 3

• Widening fracture line with complete obliteration of the medullary canal (this is the cavity containing bone marrow in the long part of a metatarsal) at the fractures site.
• Treated with screw fixation
• Healing times are much longer in this type of injury and there is a higher risk of a re-fracture.

If type one... 10 weeks is the longest I can see him being out.

If Type 2 or 3... well... let's just hope not.

I really am not sure what some people are watching, but Im guessing its not the same sport as I am because Theo is so clearly the starting 2 guard for this team its almost like saying Joel wouldnt start at PG. Of course Im not saying hed play ALL his minutes at the 2, but hed certainly spend most his time there. Anyways you can read here where it says he was expected to be in unc's starting backcourt...

http://www.scout.com/college/north-carolina/story/1719699-pinson-out-indefinitely
Ya may want to watch the 2 part interview with Roy, he actually addressed that question. Is Roy a solid enough source for ya? I will recap the pertinent part of the 2 part interview as it applies to who Roy will start at the 2. Roy says that he does not know who he would start, that he has practiced with Theo, Nate, and Kenny? PLEASE, watch it for yourself, excuse me for thinking Roy may know a lil more about this than you...

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
Ya may want to watch the 2 part interview with Roy, he actually addressed that question. Is Roy a solid enough source for ya? I will recap the pertinent part of the 2 part interview as it applies to who Roy will start at the 2. Roy says that he does not know who he would start, that he has practiced with Theo, Nate, and Kenny? PLEASE, watch it for yourself, excuse me for thinking Roy may know a lil more about this than you...

Jesus guys, the kid JUST got hurt and you're bickering over his role on our team?

Smh.

He missed 10 games as a Freshman with the same exact injury. Of course, I don't know how much of a time frame actually went into it, but with like 3 weeks until the season starts, I would guess that puts a mid December return as a likely guess.

Kinda scratching my head, correct me if I am wrong but didn't Theo miss the last 10 games of the season and the recovery took a large part of that off season for him to get in playing condition?

Kinda scratching my head, correct me if I am wrong but didn't Theo miss the last 10 games of the season and the recovery took a large part of that off season for him to get in playing condition?
Maybe. I just saw he missed ten games as a freshman due to a toe injury. I thought he came back at some point, but I could be wrong.

Broke the fifth metatarsal in his left foot on January 21st at Wake Forest (the same bone he fractured in high school) • Missed the next 10 games before returning to action with five points in two minutes at Georgia Tech on 3/3

Jesus guys, the kid JUST got hurt and you're bickering over his role on our team?

Smh.
Butteredbutt seemed to need to review what Roy stated in an interview about the 2 guard position so I invited him to listen to Roy's words. Maybe you should have quoted his post and shook your head at him, got it?

Broke the fifth metatarsal in his left foot on January 21st at Wake Forest (the same bone he fractured in high school) • Missed the next 10 games before returning to action with five points in two minutes at Georgia Tech on 3/3
He had to shut his season down shortly there after.

I hate it for Theo and wish him a full recovery, but there is no way he should play this season. Roy should redshirt him early and set the tone for the season. I would love to see Robinson start at the 3 and Jackson at the 2.

Picture this: Jackson drives in the lane and passes back out to Berry or Robinson for the 3. The Heels have the potential to have the best outside shooting starting line-up since the 2005 championship team.

Last edited:
Reactions: alabamaheel
I Don't see this as a season ending injury, therefore I don't expect him to redshirt. However, IF Theo were to redshirt, I don't see this team as a final 4 type team. That's how valuable Theo is to this team IMO.

Dave, he played. Got a little PT against Wisconsin in the last game.

OK, my apologies, coulda sworn he spent most of that off season rehabing and not able to get in development work?

I hate it for Theo and wish him a full recovery, but there is no way he should play this season. Roy should redshirt him early and set the tone for the season. I would love to see Robinson start at the 3 and Jackson at the 2.

Picture this: Jackson drives in the lane and passes back out to Berry or Robinson for the 3. The Heels have the potential to have the best outside shooting starting line-up they have had since the 2005 championship team.
What are you even talking about?

He should redshirt him to set a tone?

It is the damn kid's choice. If the doctor says he can recover in 6-8 weeks why the hell would he be redshirted. What are you even talking about? Yeah, redshirt a player against his will and the doctor's timetable to return and see how much that turns off recruits when Pinson inevitably gets upset.

Roy should redshirt him early and set the tone for the season. I would love to see Robinson start at the 3 and Jackson at the 2.

Agree with the redshirt thought, Steat . . but, not with Robinson as our SF starter . .

I Don't see this as a season ending injury, therefore I don't expect him to redshirt. However, IF Theo were to redshirt, I don't see this team as a final 4 type team. That's how valuable Theo is to this team IMO.

I mostly agree but I do not want him to rush back, if he comes back this season, I want him 100% and Theo IMO will not tell the docs if he does have some discomfort because the kid wants to play. I would much rather see him red shirt than to rush back and hurt it again is all I am saying. I do think he can recover and be back this season but I am thinking extra caution because he has had multiple breaks on the other foot.

By the way, when he comes back will depend on how well his recovery goes, if he has any complications. Way to early to even be talking red shirt IMO but we have to see how this goes.

Last edited:
Definitely would be eligible but the question would be does he want to stay around that long.
Probably not, but the pros may want him to prove he is durable before they will draft him very high. Sort of like Zeller. Z didn't redshirt his freshman year but he had 3 more years to prove himself. Which was fortunate because then he was injured the next year, too.

If it's a close thing (like not back until near the end of regular season play) then it would probably be better to redshirt. Like Jefferson did at Duke. If he blows up in the next year, he doesn't have to use the extra year of eligibility, but if he needs it, he's got it.

Whereas if it's not a close thing (like back in January), then probably shouldn't redshirt.

My gallows humor remark was in jest guys. Fact is, none of us know who was going to start at SG. Bottom line is we just lost one of our best. Let's rally around the team.

What are you even talking about?

He should redshirt him to set a tone?

It is the damn kid's choice. If the doctor says he can recover in 6-8 weeks why the hell would he be redshirted. What are you even talking about? Yeah, redshirt a player against his will and the doctor's timetable to return and see how much that turns off recruits when Pinson inevitably gets upset.

You are looking at it from a fan standpoint. I'm not. Theo has had the same injury before. Theo has NBA aspirations. There is no way any NBA team would touch him this year after this injury. In fact, he would not even get a free agent contract next season. Let's say he does come back after 8-10 weeks. How effective will he be this season playing 5-10 minutes a game? This injury seals Theo's return to the team next season. Take the time off and get completely healthy and be a force next season when the team ready needs the experience. One person's misfortune creates an opportunity for another player to step-up. I hate if for Pinson and I hate it for our fans, but the team has other players that can shoot better and it's time for them to step-up. The Heels will be a "better" outside shooting team with either Robinson or Williams in the starting line-up. That is indisputable.

Yes, the Heels suffer defensively with Pinson out, but when has Roy's teams been known for defense? Run and gun...kick it back for the 3-pointer...

Last edited:
You are looking at it from a fan standpoint. I'm not. Theo has had the same injury before. Theo has NBA aspirations. There is no way any NBA team would touch him this year after this injury. In fact, he would not even get a free agent contract next season. Let's say he does come back after 8-10 weeks. How effective will he be this season playing 5-10 minutes a game. This injury seals Theo's return to the team next season. Take the time off and get completely healthy and be a force next season when the team ready needs the experience. One person's misfortune creates and opportunity for another player to step-up. I hate if for Pinson and I hate it for our fans, but the team has other players that can shoot better and it's time for them to step-up. The Heels will be a better outside shooting team with either Robinson or Williams in the starting line-up. That is indisputable.

I am not sure its indisputable at all. Kenny Williams made a grand total of one 3 pointer all last season, and Robinson hasnt even put on a college uniform in a real game yet. Add to that the fact that Theos shot was looking and reported to be much improved, I would say its highly disputable. What I can say is the team in general is very much weaker without Theo, I think thats pretty clear.

Also, why are you just assuming its williams or robinson that slides into the starting spot? Nate Britts shot and game looked well above both of them in the scrimmage,especially kennys, plus hes a proven senior.

Last edited:
Or he recovers fine and feels fine. Has a breakout year and gets drafted to the NBA.

I don't know what exactly you are talking about. That he wouldn't play if he came back.

Are you secretly Pinson's doctor this whole time and know his injury is not a 6-8 week recovery time? Even if he took an extra month and we put it at 10-12 weeks, he still can come back and play without a medical redshirt.

Plus, you only have to miss a certain amount of games to get a medical redshirt. He could come back and play and still get one if he missed enough of the season due to the injury. (as far as I know).

Obviously this sucks for Theo and the team. And for us fans, too. But, as some have said, there are upsides. Not only will some of our younger players get more minutes, but it will actually be easier to juggle the lineups because we don't have such a logjam at SG.

Somebody will have to back up Justin at SF. I assume Brandon and Luke will be given shots there.

Nate, Kenny and Seventh will get good PT at SG and backing up Joel.

I've been figuring Theo would play close to 30 minutes. So that's 30 minutes for those guys to play in real games and for Roy to decide where the pieces fit best.

In addition to the loss of Theo himself and all he brings to a game, this also makes it much harder to play small ball.

That's important because our main problem before losing Theo was lack of depth up front. And one of the safety valves we had if we ran into trouble up front was that Theo could slot into an active small ball team. Now that option is off the table.

There are other possible small ball lineups, but the one with Theo in there was the best one.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and RP12
I am not sure its indisputable at all. Kenny Williams made a grand total of one 3 pointer all last season, and Robinson hasnt even put on a college uniform in a real game yet. Add to that the fact that Theos shot was looking and reported to be much improved, I would say its highly disputable. What I can say is the team in general is very much weaker without Theo, I think thats pretty clear.
Well, to be fair, we aren't working with a time machine and crystal ball and able to traverse multiple time lines to discern this information as much as Steat. He apparently knows exactly what would happen if Pinson would play, how well Pinson would shoot, how well others would shoot, and so on.

Or he recovers fine and feels fine. Has a breakout year and gets drafted to the NBA.

I don't know what exactly you are talking about. That he wouldn't play if he came back.

Are you secretly Pinson's doctor this whole time and know his injury is not a 6-8 week recovery time? Even if he took an extra month and we put it at 10-12 weeks, he still can come back and play without a medical redshirt.

Plus, you only have to miss a certain amount of games to get a medical redshirt. He could come back and play and still get one if he missed enough of the season due to the injury. (as far as I know).
I'm under the impression that if you come back after being medically cleared you can't change your mind - unless maybe you are injured again and still haven't exceeded the number of days allowed.

Maybe someone else can clarify for us.

Also, why are you just assuming its williams or robinson that slides into the starting spot? Nate Britts shot and game looked well above both of them in the scrimmage and way above kennys, plus hes a proven senior.

Theo's shot looking better in practice does not prove anything. He still needed to do it in actual games and he did not do it with a lot of playing time last year. Williams got very little playing time last year. Theo has a lot of intangibles, but to say he is a better outside shooter than either Robinson or Williams is comical.

Theo's shot looking better in practice does not prove anything. He still needed to do it in actual games and he did not do it with a lot of playing time last year. Williams got very little playing time last year. Theo has a lot of intangibles, but to say he is a better outside shooter than either Robinson or Williams is comical.

I never said it was "better", just that all signs were pointing to it being much improved and given the fact that he has a much higher shooting percentage than either Williams or Robinson so far in college, I disagree that a lineup with either one of them as being a much better shooting lineup being categorized as "indisputable." Even great freshman shooters struggle a lot of the time when adjusting to the college game, (thinking specifically of PJ hairston and wayne, both of whom came in much more highly touted than Brandon) and Kenny WIlliams has yet to prove that he can consistently make them at this level either.

This injury seals Theo's return to the team next season.
That sounds right - unless his recovery is really fast and he is able to significantly improve over last season in the time he has left when he returns.

That's 3 similar injuries in a little over 4 years (if I understand the timeline correctly). Hard to imagine any pro team offering guaranteed money without at least a full year of excellent play AND freedom from injury.

Also, why are you just assuming its williams or robinson that slides into the starting spot? Nate Britts shot and game looked well above both of them in the scrimmage,especially kennys, plus hes a proven senior.
In all probability Nate or Kenny now starts at the 2.. It could very well be Nate because of KW's versatility to play either Wing position as a backup, and having Stilman fully capable of backing up JB.

It also affords more opportunity than would have previously existed for BRob and 7th to get some PT under their belts.

Kenny Williams 1 - 13
Theo Pinson 7 - 26

I can't take it. Steat are you even serious?

"He still needed to do it in actual games and he did not do it with a lot of playing time last year"

Kenny Williams as our 2 is indisputable that we would be a better 3% shooting team.

I can't...really dude?

Nothing has shown Kenny Williams can outshoot Pinson in game situations. Kenny Williams shot horrible in the 3 point contest, as well. And, I think he missed all 3 point attempts in the scrimmage (I think he took 1 and missed - wide open if I remember correctly).

I never said it was "better", just that all signs were pointing to it being much improved and given the fact that he has a much higher shooting percentage than either Williams or Robinson so far in college, I disagree that a lineup with either one of them as being a much better shooting lineup being categorized as "indisputable." Even great freshman shooters struggle a lot of the time when adjusting to the college game, (thinking specifically of PJ hairston and wayne, both of whom came in much more highly touted than Brandon) and Kenny WIlliams has yet to prove that he can consistently make them at this level either.
Do I need to bring it up again... Pinson shot 50/40/90 in his HS senior year. Nothing has been shown that either Williams or Robinson is a better 3 point shooter than him (though I suspect Robinson might be). Williams and Robinson both shot good from 3 in HS as seniors but so did Pinson?

Do I need to bring it up again... Pinson shot 50/40/90 in his HS senior year. Nothing has been shown that either Williams or Robinson is a better 3 point shooter than him (though I suspect Robinson might be). Williams and Robinson both shot good from 3 in HS as seniors but so did Pinson?

I agree, its what I was pointing out in that post. Like I said as well,even great high school shooters a lot of times struggle in their freshman year(PJ,ellington)

I'm under the impression that if you come back after being medically cleared you can't change your mind - unless maybe you are injured again and still haven't exceeded the number of days allowed.

Maybe someone else can clarify for us.

To get a medical red shirt, if you play over a third (I think it is a third) of the total games your team plays in a season (includes post season) then you can not get a medical red shirt. Now lets say Theo come back, and all total he does not play in a third of our games, he still could not get a medical red shirt. Once you come back and check in to a single game your red shirt option is off the table. With only 1 exception and be if he re-injures and still has not played more than a third of the games the team plays in that season and plays no more for that season (including post season) he can take a red shirt.

Example, Jefferson for duke, had he checked in the very last game they ;played last season, he would not have been able to get the red shirt and play this season.

Kenny is a better 3pt shooter than Theo. It's not even really close.

50/40/90 in HS? Do you have some source verifying that. I ask because he's gone 37/27/61 and 40/29/67 in college. Which is fine, we don't need him to be one of our main shooters/scorers. His intangibles are off the charts and that's where he is so valuable.

Now y'all see why this oldtimer was upset?

Don't shift the blame . . had you locked it up or deleted it, Theo would be practicing today.

It was your one time to shine as a Mod . .
hide.gif

;)

Kenny Williams 1 - 13
Theo Pinson 7 - 26

I can't take it. Steat are you even serious?

"He still needed to do it in actual games and he did not do it with a lot of playing time last year"

Kenny Williams as our 2 is indisputable that we would be a better 3% shooting team.

I can't...really dude?

Nothing has shown Kenny Williams can outshoot Pinson in game situations. Kenny Williams shot horrible in the 3 point contest, as well. And, I think he missed all 3 point attempts in the scrimmage (I think he took 1 and missed - wide open if I remember correctly).
Seriously, dude. Put all those past numbers aside. KW did NOT have much PT last season.

In all probability Nate or Kenny now starts at the 2.. It could very well be Nate because of KW's versatility to play either Wing position as a backup, and having Stilman fully capable of backing up JB.

It also affords more opportunity than would have previously existed for BRob and 7th to get some PT under their belts.

gary, as I have shared all summer, I think Nate starts the season as our starting 2, Roy loves his seniors does he not? But as I have as well shared, I believe kenny will either earn that starter spot or at very least get starter minutes at the 2. I know, que up the kenny was 1 for 13 from trey last season so he can't shoot and I have to que up Roy's words when asked about kenny shooting when he reminded us that at one point Marcus was 2 for 24 or so last season but no one is suggesting Marcus couldn't shoot. Roy shared that Hubert Davis was 3 for 18 on his treys as a freshman yet Hubert was one of the best shooters ever. Not to mention that Roy spoke several times last season about how good a shooter kenny was in practice. Point being, Kenny can shoot. LOL

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT