ADVERTISEMENT

Your Favorite Chili Recipes . . ?

BillyL

Resident Idiot
Gold Member
Aug 17, 2005
I like having a pot of Chili on the stove on these cold days, then sometimes I'll cook it up on the stove and then transfer it over to a slow cooker to let simmer all day long . .

One of my favs is this Beefy Corn and Black Bean Chili :

1 lb. of grond beef

2 teaspoons of chili powder

1 pkg. of frozen corn

Can of low sodium black beans

14 oz. of reduced sodium beef broth . . I use College Inn or Swanson's brand.

15 oz. can of tomatoe sauce . . I may not use the entire can, 3/4 seems to work fine.

Can of diced tomatoes . . I really like the Hunts brand

Optional : garnish with cheese, sour cream or green onions to your liking.

Combine beef and chili powder (or your seasoning) in a dutch oven and cook on medium heat 7-8 minutes or until beef is browned, stirring until crumbled. Drain and return to pan.

Stir in corn, black beans, tomatoe suace, and diced tomatoes and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat, let simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.

Substitute your own chili seasoning package depending on how spicy your personal tastes are . .

Where can I get this "grond beef" you speak of?
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Yum. Chili sounds good. I have a pretty good recipe for white chili made with navy beans and grilled chicken breast. Maybe I'll post it when I get home tonight. For now I have to find somewhere that serves good chili for lunch!

Incidentally, have any of you ever had Cincinnati chili? Curious to hear others' thoughts on this important subject....

Sirloin diced

Can of chiles
Onion
Bell pepper
Mushrooms
Pinto and kidney beans
Mccormick chili seasoning
Diced tomatoes
Can of beer
Two tbsp brown sugar
Cup brewed coffee
Two tbsp unsw cocoa

Brown sirloin, sautee onions peppers n shrooms, combine all ingredients and cook low and slow for an hour.

I've won several chili cook offs over the years with this one
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by heelmanwilm:
Sirloin diced

Can of chiles
Onion
Bell pepper
Mushrooms
Pinto and kidney beans
Diced tomatoes
Can of beer
Two tbsp brown sugar
Cup brewed coffee
Two tbsp unsw cocoa

Brown sirloin, sautee onions peppers n shrooms, combine all ingredients and cook low and slow for an hour.

I love a green bell pepper in my chili, also in my baked beans . .

I'm going to try your recipe sometime this winter, HeelManWilm . . I'm interested in how the coffee and cocoa affect the flavor here.

Thanks for the share.

I have a white chicken chili that is nearly world famous. But I would never share my recipe with you hacks.

But that does give me an idea, should we consider putting together a OOTB cookbook? Featured dishes would include:

Nuk'em's Nuked Nachos - "Take your finest American raised ground beef, pile it high on top of potato chips (hell no, I'm not using those illegal corn chips from Mexico) and smother it in American cheese. Add any other American grown ingredients if desired. Nuke in the microwave until that sucker is cryin' for help...and then nuke it again.

Cory's Casserole - "Start with chicken,...no wait,...ground beef. Or maybe chicken, I don't really have a strong opinion either way. Then add some cheese. If you want to, that is. I would never tell you how to make your own casserole. Then bake it at your desired temperature for as long as it suits you. Serve with some disturbing horror flick."

Billy's BBQ - "Roll out of bed whenever the f*ck you want because you're retired. Pour yourself a drink. Throw a pork butt on the smoker and forget about it while you play on the computer all day."

Coolwater's Concoction - "Pour some Fruit Loops and crushed bacon in a bowl. Eat it. Chase it with a 2 liter of Crystal Pepsi. That wasn't as good as I hoped. Go to bed."

THN11's Tailgater - "Drive 6 hours to your desired tailgating spot. Stop by Firehouse Subs on the way. Drink beer and lament the tailgating experience. **Make sure to chastise those that are attempting to enjoy their less than ideal tailgating experience."

MikeIrbyusa's Mouth Full of Death - "Kill a deer. Then kill something else. Hack the deer and whatever else you killed into pieces. Cook over an open flame. Eat it."

Raising Heels' Raisin Bread
- "1 cup dog food. 2 cups moist cat food. 1 tablespoon of bird food, a dash of fish food several gerbil pellets, some raisins and some bread. Mix it together. I personally like this dish because it can be made just from stuff any person would have lying around the house... and it keeps!"

UNC71-00's Spotted Dick (no wait,...that was my last STD. The name of this dish is notSpottedDick71-00) - "Start drinking. Walk with oldest tattooed child to the store for ingredients. If stopped by police, start mouthing off. Spend night at police station. Resume cooking whatever the next day."

The Chickenhunter Special - "Fight angry mob of teens to front of line. Pick up school lunch. Reluctantly eat it."

And many more.

Sounds like a best-seller to me.

roll.r191677.gif

OMG . . . that is some very funny stuff right there. That post truly deserves it's own thread . .

This post was edited on 1/8 2:44 PM by BillyL

Originally posted by gunslingerdick:

Nuk'em's Nuked Nachos - "Take your finest American raised ground beef, pile it high on top of potato chips (hell no, I'm not using those illegal corn chips from Mexico) and smother it in American cheese. Add any other American grown ingredients if desired. Nuke in the microwave until that sucker is cryin' for help...and then nuke it again.

Cory's Casserole - "Start with chicken,...no wait,...ground beef. Or maybe chicken, I don't really have a strong opinion either way. Then add some cheese. If you want to, that is. I would never tell you how to make your own casserole. Then bake it at your desired temperature for as long as it suits you. Serve with some disturbing horror flick."

Billy's BBQ - "Roll out of bed whenever the f*ck you want because you're retired. Pour yourself a drink. Throw a pork butt on the smoker and forget about it while you play on the computer all day."

Coolwater's Concoction - "Pour some Fruit Loops and crushed bacon in a bowl. Eat it. Chase it with a 2 liter of Crystal Pepsi. That wasn't as good as I hoped. Go to bed."

THN11's Tailgater - "Drive 6 hours to your desired tailgating spot. Stop by Firehouse Subs on the way. Drink beer and lament the tailgating experience. **Make sure to chastise those that are attempting to enjoy their less than ideal tailgating experience."

MikeIrbyusa's Mouth Full of Death - "Kill a deer. Then kill something else. Hack the deer and whatever else you killed into pieces. Cook over an open flame. Eat it."

Raising Heels' Raisin Bread
- "1 cup dog food. 2 cups moist cat food. 1 tablespoon of bird food, a dash of fish food several gerbil pellets, some raisins and some bread. Mix it together. I personally like this dish because it can be made just from stuff any person would have lying around the house... and it keeps!"

UNC71-00's Spotted Dick (no wait,...that was my last STD. The name of this dish is notSpottedDick71-00) - "Start drinking. Walk with oldest tattooed child to the store for ingredients. If stopped by police, start mouthing off. Spend night at police station. Resume cooking whatever the next day."

The Chickenhunter Special - "Fight angry mob of teens to front of line. Pick up school lunch. Reluctantly eat it."
picgifs-not-bad-agreement-711606.gif

Originally posted by heelmanwilm:
Sirloin diced

Can of chiles
Onion
Bell pepper
Mushrooms
Pinto and kidney beans
Diced tomatoes
Can of beer
Two tbsp brown sugar
Cup brewed coffee
Two tbsp unsw cocoa

unreal how close this is to the chili I like to make, cobbed together from different recipes. I use small red
beans and I don't usually use mushrooms but I do use some Better-Than-Boullion (?) mushroom or beef base,
and I only sometimes use cocoa and/or beer. I make my own seasoning
but you probably couldn't tell it from McCormicks. But I always cube
some sirloin or sirloin tip and I always add some strong coffee along
with onion and tomato and some jalapenos. Usually add some garlic cloves. Sometimes I start by frying
fatback to brown the meat in or just use lard because it's chili, dammit.

If you
do a search for the Marlboro chili recipes you'll get dehydrated from
excessive drooling over the authentic chuckwagon recipes. Not for the
cholesterol-concerned.

OK, I was involved in a chili cooking competition 3 years ago at the Rolex 24 race in Daytona Speedway. Our team won first place and beat professional teams as sponsored by Pepsi, etc. I can't give up the recipe because we may be competeing again. Although, it has one ingredient I will share. Catfish.

Originally posted by Louigi:

OK, I was involved in a chili cooking competition 3 years ago at the Rolex 24 race in Daytona Speedway. Our team won first place and beat professional teams as sponsored by Pepsi, etc. I can't give up the recipe because we may be competeing again. Although, it has one ingredient I will share. Catfish.

1st place . . ? Okay, we'll take your word for it this go 'round . . . but, that story really sounds 'fishy' . .

laugh.r191677.gif

Okay, here's the white chili recipe I have on file. Nothing fancy but it gets the job done. I usually grill the chicken breasts after dusting them with seasoned pepper, and cumin.

=================================

White Chili Recipe

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cooked, boneless chicken breasts, chopped
32 ounces chicken broth
8 ounces (2 cans) canned green chili peppers, chopped
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1.5 teaspoons cayenne pepper
4 (14.5 ounce) cans great Northern beans, undrained
1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese

Directions:

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute for 10 minutes, or until onions are tender. Add the chicken, chicken broth, green chili peppers, cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat to low and add the beans. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until heated thoroughly. Pour into individual bowls and top with the cheese.

Well done Dick.

219.gif

This post was edited on 1/8 9:55 PM by UNC71-00

Originally posted by BillyL:

1st place . . ? Okay, we'll take your word for it this go 'round . . . but, that story really sounds 'fishy' . .

laugh.r191677.gif
My wife is holding 1st place trophy, I am on far right, my daughter with zebra print rain coat. Inside Pit garages at Daytona Speedway.

MOV01604_zps3ac3f423.jpg

My wife is holding 1st place trophy, I am on far right, my daughter with zebra print rain coat.
See, this is the problem with avatars. I was convinced you looked like Paul Newman. Just like gteeitup looks like Al Swearengen.

Originally posted by Raising Heel:

My wife is holding 1st place trophy, I am on far right, my daughter with zebra print rain coat.
See, this is the problem with avatars. I was convinced you looked like Paul Newman. Just like gteeitup looks like Al Swearengen.
Oh, but I do. Just remove the cap.
wink.r191677.gif

bumping from the back of the rack . . .

Anyone else got sumthin . . ?

INGREDIENTS

· 1 pounds ground beef chuck

· 1 pound bulk Italian sausage

· 3 (15 ounce) cans chili beans, drained

· 1 (15 ounce) can chili beans in spicy sauce

· 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice

· 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste

· 1 large yellow onion, chopped

· 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped

· 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped

· 2 green chile peppers, seeded and chopped

· 2 tablespoon real bacon bits (make your own)

· 4 cubes beef bouillon

· 1/2 cup beer

· 1/4 to 1/2 cup chili powder depending your taste

· 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

· 1 tablespoon minced garlic

· 1 tablespoon dried oregano

· 2 teaspoons ground cumin

· 2 teaspoons tobasco sauce

· 1 teaspoon dried basil

· 1 teaspoon salt

· 1 teaspoon ground black pepper

· 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

· 1 teaspoon paprika

· 1 teaspoon white sugar (this will help reduce tartness of tomatoes)

DIRECTIONS
  1. In large skillet on medium-high heat, crumble the ground chuck and sausage into the hot pan, and cook until evenly browned. Drain off excess grease and transfer to a slow cooker on high.

2. Pour in the chili beans, spicy chili beans, diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Add the onion, green and red bell peppers, chile peppers, bacon bits, bouillon, and beer. Season with chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, oregano, cumin, hot pepper sauce, basil, salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, and sugar. Stir well to blend, then cover and cook over high heat at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

3. After 2 hours, taste, and adjust salt, pepper, and chili powder if necessary. Turn heat to low and continue to simmer for two more hours. The longer the chili simmers, the better it will taste. Remove from heat and serve, or refrigerate, and serve the next day.

4. Serve plain or over cornbread or rice. Some of our "fam" like to add sour cream or shredded cheddar on top.

This is probably sacrilege, but we often make chili in the crockpot. I don't have the recipe at hand, and it varies a little each time depending on what we have on hand and how spicy we want it, but it's generally pretty good. Oh, and ridiculously easy.

Reactions: Raising Heel
This is probably sacrilege, but we often make chili in the crockpot. I don't have the recipe at hand, and it varies a little each time depending on what we have on hand and how spicy we want it, but it's generally pretty good. Oh, and ridiculously easy.
I'm not sure why someone would feel its sacrilege. It's just another heat source. I used to do it all in a cast iron pot or cast iron Dutch oven but they are a bitch to clean and it doesn't improve anything. I do use a cast iron skillet for the browning of the meats though. And I will say that I do prefer cast iron for cooking lots of things.

The only thing I have to add to this thread is if you use cheese as a topping for God's sake shred your own cheese don't use that God awful packets of shredded cheese you see in the grocery stores.

Reactions: UNC '92
The only thing I have to add to this thread is if you use cheese as a topping for God's sake shred your own cheese don't use that God awful packets of shredded cheese you see in the grocery stores.
I wouldn't even know what to say if my wife or anyone brought home a package of shredded cheddar. I'd probably ask her/them to leave.

Who shreds their own cheese? I let the good folks at Publix do that for me.
Packaged shredded cheese is simply not as good. Shredding cheese exposes more of its surface area to oxygen and accelerates the drying process. So all of the aromatic oils in the cheese are mostly now on the surface and already drying up. So if you aren't using it right away the drier and less tasty it will be.

holy moly, what a great post @gunslingerdick

i've gone to grass fed beef for chili and burgers...that makes a huge difference, imo.

i'll throw in kidney beans, diced tomatoes, and okra.

i wait to put onions on top because i like the different texture.

Reactions: gunslingerdick
Packaged shredded cheese is simply not as good. Shredding cheese exposes more of its surface area to oxygen and accelerates the drying process. So all of the aromatic oils in the cheese are mostly now on the surface and already drying up. So if you aren't using it right away the drier and less tasty it will be.
Plus they dust the stuff with flour or something to keep it from sticking together..yuk..

Reactions: UNC '92
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT