ADVERTISEMENT

ZEKE NNAJI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not just a visit but an un-official that he is paying his own way for! Hard to understand why he would pay his own way to visit us if he were not extremely interested. Personally, think he fits what we need better than Matt Hurt does because he would fit our team chemistry better.

My head tells me we are really late to the party but my heart wants us to have a great shot for this kid, he has an impressive offer list already.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
DSouthr, I personally think he's a better fit then JRE. With Maye graduating we don't have a power forward with Nnaji skill set on the entire roster. Also I think KU problems have thrown a monkey wrench in the works. There's no way Bill Self can look a recruit in the face and say there aren't big problems coming their way.

Last edited:
DSouthr, I personally think he's a better fit then JRE. With Maye graduating we don't have a power forward with Nnaji skills set on the entire roster.

WoW, I don't know that I can go all the way there with ya, Earl IMO will be a heck of a player but yeah, what little I have seen from this kid he wouold fit what we need really well.

WE have Bacot coming in next season and Sharpe the season after but they are not stretch 4s in any imagination, they may be able to play the 4 spot but would do so as a BIG 4 (second center on the floor). The ability to force big men to step outside and defend a stretch 4 is under estimated because it takes that big defender out of rebounding position. And yeah, you are right, assuming that Naz is 1&D, we don't have a guy like that for next season's team, Brooks is more a mid range and in 4.

The fact that he's visiting is great news. He would be a good fit for the program.

He's a multi year guy that could really excel here. Exactly the sort of player that wins championships.

Reactions: Archer2
Not gonna hold my breath .....just way too late IMO
I’m with ya. I’m sure after hearing Roy’s pitch, he certainly wants to visit and see for himself but it is extremely hard to land a guy when entering the picture a few weeks before his commitment date.

Roy will be challenged with overcoming the negative recruiting too. Opposing coaches will tell him he has to wait his time at Carolina and there is no way they will start you over Garrison Brooks next year. Between this and the long relationship he has with the other staffs, I’m just not optimistic but would love to be wrong.

Reactions: keysersosay#1
Getting a kid to pay a couple hundred bucks to take a visit on his own accord is nothing to scoff at. But seeing his decision date hasn't been changed, I'll temper my excitement until he officially commits. We're still going up against 3 of the slimiest programs, so it won't be an easy get.

I think we are too late on this kid. I hope we get him. But he already has a decision date. That usually means, his mind is already made up. He might just be taking a trip to UNC to make sure he's checks all his boxes.

Not gonna hold my breath .....just way too late IMO

I think we are too late on this kid. I hope we get him. But he already has a decision date. That usually means, his mind is already made up. He might just be taking a trip to UNC to make sure he's checks all his boxes.

We are way too late here. Had Roy reached out about 4 months ago, then I'd think we had a legitimate shot.

I can see the logic associated with these posts. Typically, it doesn't work out.
What should give us pause though is: His final 5
1.Arizona
2.Baylor
3.Kansas
4.Purdue
5. UCLA

Of these 5, Arizona and Kansas have been implicated in the FBI probe, and according to Evan Daniels on the 247 site,the father intimated that they have some concerns about Arizona and Kansas, as they should.

UCLA & Baylor are not threats I'm thinking, as his only praiseworthy comments have been about his OV @ Purdue, while a fine school, decent program and middle of the road coach, they are not a blueblood program with the stature of a UNC. This is a fact and not braggadocio. What hasn't been thought of, that maybe should have been, is who made the initial contact?
Was it Roy or was it Nnaji's Dad?

Again, you do not spend $1K-$11/2K to come to Chapel Hill if there is not genuine interest on their part, that's economically stupid, and I do not think Mr. Nnaji's stupid at all. I believe he wants the best school & basketball program for his son and his son's career. It could be, that they make the trip and find that UNC is not the place for Zeke.

However, they also could come down, review with Roy his plans for Zeke, review the academics, and fall in love with it all. Personally, if they are interested enough to come listen to Roy's pitch, and have a good look at the campus, I really like our chances here. May all come to nothing, I just firmly don't think so.

Last edited:
Roy may be late to the table, but something about the way this has unfolded makes me optimistic.
Is it possible the staff had been in contact for a while and openly/honestly let the kid know they were waiting on the decision of others?
Conversely, could Zeke’s family/coach have reached out to Roy after JRE popped?
As ‘75 says, they’re travelling to the Hill on their own dime so they must be interested.

Roy may be late to the table, but something about the way this has unfolded makes me optimistic.
Is it possible the staff had been in contact for a while and openly/honestly let the kid know they were waiting on the decision of others?
Conversely, could Zeke’s family/coach have reached out to Roy after JRE popped?
As ‘75 says, they’re travelling to the Hill on their own dime so they must be interested.

I agree with this thinking. Add to this that maybe now that he received an offer, he realizes that he has an amazing opportunity that he didn't have before. Maybe UNC is one of his favorite schools and programs, but again just never offered. And while we all love Brooks and his effort, improvement, hustle, etc., I'm not sure any top recruit would see their potential path to playing time blocked by the current UNC big men.

But this thread has it all covered as usual:

- Roy waited too long, kid will never commit, he's using Roy, just checking the boxes, etc.
- Never say Never.....
- Coming on his own nickel, momentum is going the right way, timing looks good
- I like our chances.....

Results:

(1) Commits - Roy is the man

(2) Commits elsewhere - Told ya so

I disagree with being too late. He's as good as ours, IMO.

Any intel or just a gut feeling. I would actually be really surprised if he committed, considering how recent we are. I mean some of these coaches have probably built a relationship over years.

Any intel or just a gut feeling. I would actually be really surprised if he committed, considering how recent we are. I mean some of these coaches have probably built a relationship over years.

And being a follower of UNC recruiting since before my hair turned gray I can tell you relationships with teenagers don't mean ish .. jmho

I on occasion do business with a prominent AAU coach. Said coach replied to my text tonight asking his opinion. He told me no way on Arizona. And that once the kid's family sits with Roy, it's on. He said he doubts the kid signs any letter of intent until spring. He said this kid has peaked alot of interest in last 6 months. And the way Roy uses bigs, this kid would be a monster addition, and a force by year 2 and 3. Lastly he said he thinks it's Carolina or Purdue.

And being a follower of UNC recruiting since before my hair turned gray I can tell you relationships with teenagers don't mean ish .. jmho

As a high school teacher, I completely disagree with your opinion on “relationships with teenagers not meaning ish.” I would also point out that’s basically why we didn’t get Josh Green.

Reactions: Pusha_D
There is a group of negative posters you fit in with to a T .. but if a family pays out of their pocket to visit a school then in no f'in way is it a bad thing .. some people .. jmho

I think Carey looked bored on his visit. That’s all. Hope this kid enjoys his visit.

No intel. You don't just up and make a 2,000 mile round trip for no reason at this point. Just my gut feeling.

I agree. There's something else to consider. Say that you want to by a certain piece of property. You thought that it was out of your price range. Then, BAM! you discover the owners are under a huge tax bill and are willing to accept your bid. The previous properties perhaps now don't look quite as good as before....

I on occasion do business with a prominent AAU coach. Said coach replied to my text tonight asking his opinion. He told me no way on Arizona. And that once the kid's family sits with Roy, it's on. He said he doubts the kid signs any letter of intent until spring. He said this kid has peaked alot of interest in last 6 months. And the way Roy uses bigs, this kid would be a monster addition, and a force by year 2 and 3. Lastly he said he thinks it's Carolina or Purdue.
In the article I read Dad said they will announce this month but not sign until spring. Dad brought positive things that we talk about on here that go unnoticed outside of UNC. Brought up the great strength coach and liked how almost all coaches played for UNC and coach. Also mentioned 3 national championships since Roy's been here.

Last edited:
This can be viewed multiple ways. I see it as a parent that simply wants his son to explore all his options and make the very best decision for the next 3-4 years of his life. Any parent with the financial means and kids best interest at heart would make the trip to ensure their kid has all information on each of his top schools.

In the article I read Dad said they will announce this month but not sign until spring. Dad brought positive things that we talk about on here that go unnoticed outside of UNC. Brought up the great strength coach and liked how almost all coaches played for UNC and coach. Also mentioned 3 national championships since Roy's been here.
Agree about the Dad bringing up the strength coach. The kid is 6'10 215 being interested in the strength coach is a good sign. He know's that his body needs work.

I just read where Nnaji said he wanted to be a OAD player. Recruiting players that vocalize this hasn’t been kind to UNC. As we all know, Roy will not pitch that whereas Alford, Miller, Drew and Self certainly will.

I just read where Nnaji said he wanted to be a OAD player. Recruiting players that vocalize this hasn’t been kind to UNC. As we all know, Roy will not pitch that whereas Alford, Miller, Drew and Self certainly will.
Eh, what person wouldn't want to be making millions of dollars a year rather than be a sophomore in college? I don't put much stock in that statement, as I expect it's true for most kids if they're honest. The vast majority just aren't good enough to make it happen.

I don't know what Roy pitches, but I can't imagine he actively disparages going pro. Probably more like he says "I want to make you as good a player as possible, and I want to win. Let's make that happen, and then be your own boss of your career".

Roy has been quoted often saying that he and UNC wanted and went after many of the same kids that were OAD at Kentucky and Duke. The perception may be out there that he is not ideal for that route, but he is not discouraging that. I'm sure part of his pitch deals directly with why OAD aspirations do fit with UNC, or they wouldn't even go after a large chunk of their targets. Hopefully his message hits with some. Cole Anthony especially.

IF this kids comes on an unofficial... i say he becomes a heel. They can run some tape of Zeller, Brice, Henson and even some of Cam.. just so he can see that we get up and down the court and that he fits the system to the tee....

I wonder if Zeke can handle the SF position. He looks moble for a guy his size, but staying in front of a quick offensive player might be asking too much.

Either way I'd love to see this kid become a Tar Heel.

Reactions: Heels5150
I mean, we are probably too late but spending that much on an UV is a big deal. The dad has some reservations about this whole FBI ordeal so that helps. I wouldn't think anyone would be confident but I think it is naive to think a kid would visit in this way without there being some serious interest.

Bringing up Carey is silly. No one thought he came on his visit with any thought of even giving UNC a fair shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT