ADVERTISEMENT

Ziaire Williams

I said from the time this news broke that it wasn’t good for Carolina. The whole Marvin Bagley/Lebron James situation with Sierra Canyon can’t be good for UNC. Dook has become the “business decision” for many of the top Nike kids.

This one will sting if he ends up at duke. I had him as the most likely 5 star commit for us.

It isn't over, yet.
By the by, there is a recruiting thread on the board.

Nah. No way Ziaire goes to Duke. He'll have to compete for playing time with O'Connell, Baker, Moore, and maybe Hurt. Not to mention Johnson.

Kidding aside, it's interesting that K offers Ziaire right after signing 6'8 SF #4 Jalen Johnson.

CB has Duke a near lock for centers 6'10 Walker Kessler and 7'0 Mark Williams, as well as a lock for 6'6 PF Henry Coleman.

Looks like K is putting together yet another "can't miss" team.

Would K leave that killer squad for his replacement if he wins a championship this season? Color me doubtful. He's not Dean.

Last edited:
Nah. No way Ziaire goes to Duke. He'll have to compete for playing time with O'Connell, Baker, Moore, and maybe Hurt. Not to mention Johnson.

Kidding aside, it's interesting that K offers Ziaire right after signing 6'8 SF #4 Jalen Johnson.

CB has Duke a near lock for centers 6'10 Walker Kessler and 7'0 Mark Williams, as well as a lock for 6'6 PF Henry Coleman.

Would K leave that killer squad for his replacement if he wins a championship this season? Color me doubtful. He's not Dean.

In a way, I hope K-rat goes ahead and get his 5-6 commitments for next season within the next few months. He will never win a NCAA title with 5 freshman OAD starters. He offered Ziaire to get some of the other heavy Duke leaners to jump. Ziaire is UNC bound. If K-rat couldn't win with Zion, he is not going to win with another group of OADs with less overall talent.

Kessler may end up at duke but if he does it will IMO be a mistake for him, he needs a program that works the ball inside out looking to get him the ball in position to finish. Duke's centers when they have been the center attraction have been guys that were able to create their own shots, Zion, Bagley. Kessler fits what we do much better because he isn't a create your own shot guy. Williams, who I do think they end up with is more a rim protector with limited scoring range, more jeter than Bagley. Now Coleman can play, hope they don't get hm.

To me Zaire is more a wing or maybe stretch 4 and with Johnson now in place, not sure I would see why Zaire would seriously consider duke. I get the pitch of Johnson and Zaire on the floor together I just don't buy it as a great pitch. Personally, I think Zaire stays west of the mississippi and we end up with Puff with duke having Moore come back (the smoke blown up his butt of being 1&D is just that, smoke).

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I do think Zaire ends up a Heel but I will say I don’t much like the idea of Bron and Wade in his ear telling him he needs to go to a OAD school like UK or Dook. Not to mention that’s prolly where BJ Boston’s headed anyways

I do think Zaire ends up a Heel but I will say I don’t much like the idea of Bron and Wade in his ear telling him he needs to go to a OAD school like UK or Dook. Not to mention that’s prolly where BJ Boston’s headed anyways

The irony of this is that neither son (Labron and Wade's sons) are good enough to play for K-rat. Ziaire's family is all about academics. The Admiral's (David Robinson) son has sat on the Duke's bench for 3 years with only mop-up playing time.

We are at the point and have been for awhile where we have to wait until some other schools fill their rosters to grab anyone.. Roy got in on Coby early, Nas probably goes elsewhere had there not been trouble.. Roy is doing a great job, But 2 of his 3 leading scorers this year could be graduate transfers and You wouldn't think that..

The irony of this is that neither son (Labron and Wade's sons) are good enough to play for K-rat. Ziaire's family is all about academics. The Admiral's (David Robinson) son has sat on the Duke's bench for 3 years with only mop-up playing time.
The Admirals son did not have NBA talent, let alone ready at 19-20 years old to get drafted. Zaire's family is big on education and college, but they are not blind. 1 or 2 years most playing at college is the goal. They will decide what is best for the next year, and then hopefully start his earnings toward his career as he has positioned himself to do.

I think UNC is a great fit !!!!!

LeBron's son is just leaving 8th grade. He is a big time prospect !!!

Roy wins out like usual based on who he is and his relationship with the families of the young men he brings in. Screw K...

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
You do realize that David Robinson’s son is a preferred walk on right?

Reactions: TheGLOV
Oh, is he the one that sits next to Joey baker?
I bet Bolden sat on the other side..wonder who takes Bolden seat this year for the cheerleading squad? Ellis was but he wised up and got out of there before his a$$ became a fixture to K bench

You do realize that David Robinson’s son is a preferred walk on right?
Moot point. He could have gone to another "prestigious academic school" and been a starter for 4 years.. Like one of those Ivy League schools. This one I can't blame on K-Rat. He told the Admiral that his son would never see any playing time. To add insult to injury, K-rat redshirted the kid one year. For what reason? Folks, you can't make this stuff up. David Robinson sold his son out. Sort of reminds me of those two Hollywood movie stars involved in the college cheating scandel. David Robinson wanted his son to have a Duke degree and didn't care about his kid getting the chance of "actually" playing college basketball. What a damm shame.

Last edited:
I bet Bolden sat on the other side..wonder who takes Bolden seat this year for the cheerleading squad? Ellis was but he wised up and got out of there before his a$$ became a fixture to K bench
Bolden left about 2-years too late. Another one bites the dust.

It isn't over, yet.
By the by, there is a recruiting thread on the board.
Honestly Tom, trying to cram something as expansive and dynamic as "recruiting" into one place just doesn't accomplish much. At some point these overcombined threads just get to be a great big mess. Zaire is not only a major UNC target but also one the staff has considered us to be in the lead for. Whether or not the recent developments mean anything, I think the subject at hand ITT merits it's own.

Always fun to speculate in July about why players haven't committed yet.

If Ziaire wants to be here, he knows there won't be a lot of competition for PT. BRob and the grad transfers will be gone. He and Leaky will split time at SF and maybe at PF, and Leaky could be logging minutes at other positions, as well. Plenty of minutes.

Point being, if you like UNC, no reason to wait to see who stays and who goes. You already know the answer to that. Not that kids of Ziaire's caliber are likely to be too worried about competition, but he knows the decks are pretty clear here. Wehreas, for example, Duke and UK already have top SFs on board (and still have offers out to others). Pick one of those teams and you might find yourself the 3rd option off the bench. I'm looking at you, Keion Brooks at Kentucky.

Of course there are always other reasons to wait. He could be waiting for an offer from a school he likes better. He could just want to enjoy the visits and being wooed.

OTOH, there are players who just want to get the commitment done so it doesn't distract them from their final HS season. I like players like that. Coby, for example.

Obviously none of these guys are "true" Tar Heels :rolleyes:

It always irritates me when people say shit like “I only want kids who want to be Tar Heels.” No crap, that’s why people choose us.

If we selected kids purely off that criteria, we wouldn’t be the household name we are today. Armando was a huge Duke fan growing up, and I can recall many on here thought we should give up on him because of that.

For many kids, it’s not about fandom it’s about the right fit. I feel pretty confident Zaire likes us and we have a great shot at him, but to suggest he should “know by now” is ridiculous. People take their time for a reason.

It always irritates me when people say shit like “I only want kids who want to be Tar Heels.” No crap, that’s why people choose us.

If we selected kids purely off that criteria, we wouldn’t be the household name we are today. Armando was a huge Duke fan growing up, and I can recall many on here thought we should give up on him because of that.

For many kids, it’s not about fandom it’s about the right fit. I feel pretty confident Zaire likes us and we have a great shot at him, but to suggest he should “know by now” is ridiculous. People take their time for a reason.

Obviously I wasn't a big time recruit for any sport. But it's strange to me that there are basketball recruits that consider both Carolina and duke. Because the two programs couldn't be any more different than they are.

Again, I say this as someone that wasn't recruited in high school, but IF I was a big time recruit, I'd know where I was going early. And I'd end my recruitment early. The only things that would matter to me is the personality of the coach I was going to play for and the culture of the team. I reckon that's essentially what you mean when you say "fit". Outside of that, pretty much all the big time schools are going to offer roughly the same experience.

But I'll never begrudge a family for taking their time if they're taking their time for the right reasons (i.e.: vetting out coach, getting feel for program culture, etc). But I'd guess that of the ones that drag out the recruitment, like 5% are doing it for those reasons. The other 95% are doing it to feed their ego. And I'd bet it's more often than not, the parent's ego is the one getting in the way; not the kid's.

Again, I say this as someone that wasn't recruited in high school, but IF I was a big time recruit, I'd know where I was going early. And I'd end my recruitment early. The only things that would matter to me is the personality of the coach I was going to play for and the culture of the team. I reckon that's essentially what you mean when you say "fit". Outside of that, pretty much all the big time schools are going to offer roughly the same experience.

How do you know the coach is still going to be there?
How do you know that school won't come under some investigation?
How do you know that school won't be stacked at your position?
How do you know the "culture" of the team when you'd be the first commit for your class?

Do kids drag out recruitments for the wrong reasons? Sure. But if my kid was a top recruit he'd be waiting til the last minute so we have all of the information to make the best decision for the most important decision of his young life.

I fault no parent for wanting that for their child.

Reactions: dtodd4475
How do you know the coach is still going to be there?
How do you know that school won't come under some investigation?
How do you know that school won't be stacked at your position?
How do you know the "culture" of the team when you'd be the first commit for your class?

Do kids drag out recruitments for the wrong reasons? Sure. But if my kid was a top recruit he'd be waiting til the last minute so we have all of the information to make the best decision for the most important decision of his young life.

I fault no parent for wanting that for their child.

I don’t know those things. But I guess I’d cross that bridge when I came to it. You’re citing rarities as if that’s justification for ego driven kids and parents to act like they’re important. And if that’s how you’d want to treat your recruitment or your child’s recruitment, that’s fine. I’m just saying, that wouldn’t be me or my kid. However, with that said, I acknowledge that I’m saying that as someone who didn’t have those options. Maybe I’d be that way too if I was a highly recruited athlete. But the me of today wouldn’t do it and the me of today doesn’t like kids and families that do it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT