ADVERTISEMENT

Ziaire Williams

Obviously I wasn't a big time recruit for any sport. But it's strange to me that there are basketball recruits that consider both Carolina and duke. Because the two programs couldn't be any more different than they are.

Again, I say this as someone that wasn't recruited in high school, but IF I was a big time recruit, I'd know where I was going early. And I'd end my recruitment early. The only things that would matter to me is the personality of the coach I was going to play for and the culture of the team. I reckon that's essentially what you mean when you say "fit". Outside of that, pretty much all the big time schools are going to offer roughly the same experience.

But I'll never begrudge a family for taking their time if they're taking their time for the right reasons (i.e.: vetting out coach, getting feel for program culture, etc). But I'd guess that of the ones that drag out the recruitment, like 5% are doing it for those reasons. The other 95% are doing it to feed their ego. And I'd bet it's more often than not, the parent's ego is the one getting in the way; not the kid's.

You’re thinking of this from the angle of a Carolina fan and someone who hates the long drawn out publicity bullshit that some of these kids do. I totally understand.

But it’s not the only thing to consider. As dad pointed out, coaching, culture, playing time, and the NBA all play a factor with highly ranked guys. It’s the world we live in and recruiting has a spotlight on it like never before. And unlike football, basketball has only a handful of truly impact guys that come in on a yearly basis.

So I don’t blame Zaire for taking his time. We aren’t even into the fall season yet. As far as I know, we are in good shape.

Reactions: dtodd4475
He and the other Dook crony did the same thing with Bacot too. Not worried yet.

I thought I read Ziaire said he would move I during early signing. Who knows.

Ziaire is not going to Duke. It didn't fit well with Ziaire and the family when the first thing K-Rat wanted to discuss was a reclass to 2019. It will be either UNC or Stanford. I like UNC chances.

Last edited:
After reading something today, I’d be very surprised if we don’t land Ziaire.

This just sounds like a UNC kid.

While I respect the Rivals national guys, I don’t agree with them at all on this one.

I have a good feeling about him too for some reason. Dadika, can you elaborate at all about what you read?

From Corey Evans:

“Williams, on the other hand, was favored heavily by North Carolina and Stanford throughout recent months, but if Duke continues to prioritize, my guess is that he could end up in Durham.”

From Corey Evans:

“Williams, on the other hand, was favored heavily by North Carolina and Stanford throughout recent months, but if Duke continues to prioritize, my guess is that he could end up in Durham.”

I like this. He also said Oregon was a real threat for Cole. Corey isn't very good

It would be great if Ziaire opted for UNC early, in the Nov/Dec period, then watch as several others join him. Or vice versa, others go with us and then Ziaire, either way I'd take it.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Ziaire Williams will give us his top 7 Sunday. I absolutely despise recruiting now. I'd like to add something foul but I'll keep it clean. It's gotten old and I'm to the point where I'll just see whose on the roster come October or November each season.

The top 7 and top 8 type of list really are silly. Nearly every recruit that has a list with that many schools likely isn’t serious about half of them. I’m sure most kids have 2 or 3 schools that they really like but no way they are seriously considering more than a few. At the end of the day, these list serve as bragging rights, self promotion and brand building for these kids.

Reactions: TheGLOV
The top 7 and top 8 type of list really are silly. Nearly every recruit that has a list with that many schools likely isn’t serious about half of them. I’m sure most kids have 2 or 3 schools that they really like but no way they are seriously considering more than a few. At the end of the day, these list serve as bragging rights, self promotion and brand building for these kids.
Brand building is a crock of *hit. Either you can play or you can't. Do you think any NBA GM or shoe company is going to remember some brand building BS when the kid didnt play well in college. Just ask Bolden how his brand building/wait to the last minute to pick a college has gone for him. I'm absolutely sick of these look at me I've got a top 7 list and it's all about me teenage kids. All of it is a big turn off for me. Do it for someone else because I'm done.

Last edited:
Brand building is a crock of *hit. Either you can play or you can't. Do you any think any NBA GM or shoe company is going to remember some brand building BS when the kid didnt play well in college. Just ask Bolden how his brand building/wait to the last minute to pick a college has gone for him. I'm absolutely sick of these look at me I've got a top 7 list and it's all about me teenage kids. All of it is a big turn off for me. Do it for someone else because I'm done.
9rYVxqH.jpg

Gonna get interesting if either Kentucky and Duke hit 3 commits soon. The dominoes will probably begin to fall.

2020 commits

Kentucky-2
Duke-2
Michigan State-1
Arizona-1
UNC-1
Kansas-0

Reactions: tarheels0015
So peeps are getting impatient yet our 2 biggest rivals have only 1 more than us? I'm enjoying an excellent Summer basking in the fact that UNC is back on the lips of the elite! I' loving the change in recruiting strategy by Ol' Roy and I can't wait to watch the impressive collection we already have. 2020 will shape up just fine!

So peeps are getting impatient yet our 2 biggest rivals have only 1 more than us? I'm enjoying an excellent Summer basking in the fact that UNC is back on the lips of the elite! I' loving the change in recruiting strategy by Ol' Roy and I can't wait to watch the impressive collection we already have. 2020 will shape up just fine!
What I find interesting is that Coach Roy does not get enough credit. When that garbage was going on we went to back to back Natty games plus we won several ACC Regular Season Titles and a Conference Title

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT