ADVERTISEMENT

Zion asked for What? oh, stuff...

How does this moron still have a job? Can you be a credible investigative reporter after spending years reporting lies, half truths, and being fooled by an amateur cat Fisher? What would it take for that dying rag to cut their losses? I will never give them another click or one red cent!

Agree with everything here except 1, the Count was a PROFESSIONAL catfisher.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
So in a brief recap, Zion (or his family) made requests of KU for "things" to secure his commitment, things that KU may not have put forward as Zion has enrolled at dook, so the question at trial a couple of days ago was sure Preston & De Souza received "things" from KU but the Yahoo sports article tiptoed to the edge of dook involvement with an open question, so just what did Zion receive from dook?

Why is everyone so dang afraid of that asshole in derm?

Make my day Lyin Zion! Go ahead and play in games.....

And with that revelation, Lyin Zion Williamson potentially becomes college basketball’s new Cam Newton — a megastar recruit implicated in a pay-for-play scheme allegedly orchestrated by a family member. As with Newton, two schools are involved — one linked to a potential money deal, and one that actually signed the player. Also similar to Newton is the profile — Williamson has 1.7 million Instagram followers and is the Rivals.com No. 5 recruit in the country — and importance to a national championship contender.

Duke’s place within college basketball’s systemic problem will be under scrutiny in the coming weeks, as Lyin Zion either suits up or does not. The Blue Devils’ season starts Nov. 6.

Last edited:
My question is do they ONLY investigate the KU piece or do they do some actual investigative work and see if Duke did anything to get the kids committment? You would think that (at a minimum) the NCAA would look hard to see if the kid maintained some of those demands and recieved payment or if he dropped all of them?

I bet they limit it to Self and KU leaving rat and his program unscathed.

And with that revelation, Lyin Zion Williamson potentially becomes college basketball’s new Cam Newton — a megastar recruit implicated in a pay-for-play scheme allegedly orchestrated by a family member. As with Newton, two schools are involved — one linked to a potential money deal, and one that actually signed the player. Also similar to Newton is the profile — Williamson has 1.7 million Instagram followers and is the Rivals.com No. 5 recruit in the country — and importance to a national championship contender.

Duke’s place within college basketball’s systemic problem will be under scrutiny in the coming weeks, as Lyin Zion either suits up or does not. The Blue Devils’ season starts Nov. 6.

Well damn. What an unfortunate comparison. They need to do better than that because Cam didn't go to the only school (Miss. State) that offered him money. Let's hope KU is not the only one to offer Zion, and in this case dook actually did pay up.

What should happen right now is the NCAA notify duke that Zion is suspended immediately pending investigation. Further, even if the NCAA does not do that, the duke staff should suspend Zion immediately pending investigation (as if any were needed considering federal testimony already enters being enough to end his phoney eligibility). Now, not a chance in Hades K suspends him, slim but not likely chance the NCAA does, they can hide behind the FBI asked us to stand down until they were done and that will not occur until well after Zion is in the NBA. The NCAA could say at that point, if there is no smoking gun left that can absolutely prove K had direct knowledge, that the player is now gone so he can not be punished and no need to punish kids that were not involved.

I want to see how sports reporters will treat this when the season begins, that was when we really got hammered, when every game we played the AFAM stuff was discussed by those calling our games on national TV, they chipped away at us so often and for so long that the NCAA felt they had to find something on us, so the NCAA turned over any and every rock they could to bend to the media pressure top take us down, in the end there was nothing there that they could. Will that same media pressure now be aimed at duke, arizona, kansas, and down the line Ky and Indiana.

What should happen right now is the NCAA notify duke that Zion is suspended immediately pending investigation. Further, even if the NCAA does not do that, the duke staff should suspend Zion immediately pending investigation (as if any were needed considering federal testimony already enters being enough to end his phoney eligibility). Now, not a chance in Hades K suspends him, slim but not likely chance the NCAA does, they can hide behind the FBI asked us to stand down until they were done and that will not occur until well after Zion is in the NBA. The NCAA could say at that point, if there is no smoking gun left that can absolutely prove K had direct knowledge, that the player is now gone so he can not be punished and no need to punish kids that were not involved.

I want to see how sports reporters will treat this when the season begins, that was when we really got hammered, when every game we played the AFAM stuff was discussed by those calling our games on national TV, they chipped away at us so often and for so long that the NCAA felt they had to find something on us, so the NCAA turned over any and every rock they could to bend to the media pressure top take us down, in the end there was nothing there that they could. Will that same media pressure now be aimed at duke, arizona, kansas, and down the line Ky and Indiana.

Don't hold your breath on that one.

Well damn. What an unfortunate comparison. They need to do better than that because Cam didn't go to the only school (Miss. State) that offered him money. Let's hope KU is not the only one to offer Zion, and in this case dook actually did pay up.

On top of that, not one insider had Lyin Zion going to Duke. He shocked everyone. Now, we know why.

On top of that, not one insider had Lyin Zion going to Duke. He shocked everyone. Now, we know why.

giphy.gif

and down the line Ky and Indiana.
D, you make a point, but the onus for declarations of ineligibility actually resides at the college level. If a program gets wind of eligibility issues they are tasked with declaring the player ineligible and turning it over to the NCAA for a resolution. If they fail to do so, and he is subsequently ruled ineligible by the NCAA then there is hell to pay. In other words a school can at least mitigate a lot of liability for future penalties by geting out in front of it. Will K do that? Hmmm...

D, you make a point, but the onus for declarations of ineligibility actually resides at the college level. If a program gets wind of eligibility issues they are tasked with declaring the player ineligible and turning it over to the NCAA for a resolution. If they fail to do so, and he is subsequently ruled ineligible by the NCAA then there is hell to pay. In other words a school can at least mitigate a lot of liability for future penalties by geting out in front of it. Will K do that? Hmmm...

Yes, me likey.

What's the probability that the K-rat will do the latter? Unless there is a tremendous amount of pressure brought to bear on either him or his program
( albeit thru: media, school officials, trial revelations, etc.), the kid will play.

I think Duke rolls the dice on this and gambles that nothing will touch them.
He's shown he has the arrogance with his flippant attitude towards the subject of paying players to play.

Personally, I believe it's program Russian roulette for those guys. Will the firing pin fall on an empty chamber? Can't say conclusively, but will be an interesting watch and see.

So the Cam Newton rule is coming into play:

Yahoo Sports spoke with six people well-versed on NCAA rules and investigations, including Potuto, this week about the Williamson situation. All six agreed that what became known as the “Cecil Newton Rule” could apply to the Williamsons.

“An agent’s activity on behalf of a prospect renders the prospect ineligible under NCAA amateurism rules,” Potuto said. “An amateurism violation affects an athlete at all NCAA schools. Amateurism violations are not dependent on where the athlete enrolls.”

Potuto cited the so-called Newton Rule, a bylaw passed by the NCAA in January 2012, in her explanation. But she included a caveat in relation to how she would view such a case if she were involved in a Committee on Infractions hearing on the matter.

“I do not know the extent to which there would need to be at least some evidence from which a reasonable inference could be drawn that the son knew or should have known of the father’s actions,” Potuto said. “It could be that the parent/child relationship by itself is enough. Certainly that would close off an easy end-around of agent rules, where the parent carefully excludes the athlete from all conversations or information, but merrily pockets the money. And the NCAA bylaw language supports this conclusion.

Yes, me likey.

What's the probability that the K-rat will do the latter? Unless there is a tremendous amount of pressure brought to bear on either him or his program
( albeit thru: media, school officials, trial revelations, etc.), the kid will play.

I think Duke rolls the dice on this and gambles that nothing will touch them.
He's shown he has the arrogance with his flippant attitude towards the subject of paying players to play.

Personally, I believe it's program Russian roulette for those guys. Will the firing pin fall on an empty chamber? Can't say conclusively, but will be an interesting watch and see.
I suspect you're right... unless the heat gets too bad on Zion himself vis-a-vis eligibilty. Now, K would roll him under the bus in a heartbeat, but this could indeed get tricky if Capel gets linked.

Reactions: Tarheel75
I suspect you're right... unless the heat gets too bad on Zion himself vis-a-vis eligibilty. Now, K would roll him under the bus in a heartbeat, but this could indeed get tricky if Capel gets linked.

Agreed. If any revelations come out in the next set of trials, I kinda expect something of that nature to be exposed.
Then, it gets really interesting because, I think we all realize that Capel knows where all the closets containing all of the skeletons "reside" at Duke.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and gary-7
“An agent’s activity on behalf of a prospect renders the prospect ineligible under NCAA amateurism rules,” Potuto said. “An amateurism violation affects an athlete at all NCAA schools. Amateurism violations are not dependent on where the athlete enrolls.”

Some skeletons are harder to hide than others. Which closet, hey Mr. Capel?

I would live to hear what Jay Bilas has to say.

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
as long as we beat them let em play .. this has just surfaced it will get deeper not worried .. Go Heels

I would live to hear what Jay Bilas has to say.

Headen, I heard Bilas on a video with two other talking heads from the SEC network.
I like Jay, I especially like that he is a lawyer by training and education. He minced no words, he was adamant that the FBI will be at this for a bit but the ncaa's part, as we well know, could take years. His question was when will the admins, presidents, AD's or others of the alleged violators get out in front of the investigation?

As was said many years ago, follow the money and when is a denial a denial.

Headen, I heard Bilas on a video with two other talking heads from the SEC network.
I like Jay, I especially like that he is a lawyer by training and education. He minced no words, he was adamant that the FBI will be at this for a bit but the ncaa's part, as we well know, could take years.
He's a decent guy for the most part but his dook hood shows at times.
Let's see his tone when the wiretaps point at Durham.

Agree with that but I think he's fair & will call a spade a spade if it comes to that. Hope you're right about the wiretaps pointing at Durham, that would be a dream come true for me.

My question is do they ONLY investigate the KU piece or do they do some actual investigative work and see if Duke did anything to get the kids committment? You would think that (at a minimum) the NCAA would look hard to see if the kid maintained some of those demands and recieved payment or if he dropped all of them?

I bet they limit it to Self and KU leaving rat and his program unscathed.

If his family received money then that family member could well be determined to be an agent. That is a problem...

Reactions: headenheel
Agreed. If any revelations come out in the next set of trials, I kinda expect something of that nature to be exposed.
Then, it gets really interesting because, I think we all realize that Capel knows where all the closets containing all of the skeletons "reside" at Duke.

....with all due respect, it is tricky now...

I think Bilas is as fair as can be expected! It is unreasonable to expect someone who actually played for the Evil Empire to NEVER show any puke allegiance. I believe he will need irrefutable evidence, but would call them out if it was presented. I expect him to be on the forefront of the movement to clean up college bball since he played when money was only a fraction of what it is now. Ballers really used to play for the "love of the game" and for the name on the front of the jersey. Benefits were certainly there, but for most peeps they consisted of the free meals (and other perks), girlies, and $100 handshakes from big money boosters! The proliferation of Agents with piles of cash correlates to the Billion $ TV deal era! (Now Blue Chips did reveal that the odd bag of money might fall off a tractor at times back then, lol!) But Dang, I would be tempted to take $500K!

I think Bilas is as fair as can be expected! It is unreasonable to expect someone who actually played for the Evil Empire to NEVER show any puke allegiance. I believe he will need irrefutable evidence, but would call them out if it was presented. I expect him to be on the forefront of the movement to clean up college bball since he played when money was only a fraction of what it is now. Ballers really used to play for the "love of the game" and for the name on the front of the jersey. Benefits were certainly there, but for most peeps they consisted of the free meals (and other perks), girlies, and $100 handshakes from big money boosters! The proliferation of Agents with piles of cash correlates to the Billion $ TV deal era! (Now Blue Chips did reveal that the odd bag of money might fall off a tractor at times back then, lol!) But Dang, I would be tempted to take $500K!

Ya know what, for me, Jay Bilas is the gold standard when it comes to sports journalism, actually journalism as a whole. I don't care where he went to school, don't care who he played for, what I do see is a man that believes in what is right and I not only appreciate that, I admire it.

I really wish more people with access to platforms that allow millions to see, hear, and read their words would just make their decisions on what they believe is right, no other agendas at play, just the right thing because it is right. *If Bilas finds out for sure there is foul play going on at duke, I really believe he would address it, it would break his heart but I honestly believe he would address it fairly.

I appreciate that because being totally honest, if I discovered absolute proof Roy was doing things the wrong way or any UNC coach for that matter, I would not like it and I would be more than glad to lead the charge to have him dismissed. Pissed off a lot of folks but I was out front that Butch Davis had to go and I would be no different with Roy. I think Bilas would be much the same with K, as it would break mine to demand Roy be fired for cheating if I ever discovered he had, it would break Bilas's heart to have to go public with the right thing about K. It would take proof absolute and it should but Bilas is a good man and has my respect.

How could they not at some point. Sure seems if you are investigating you work every lead. Look in every closet....

Jay tries very hard to be diplomatic as well as unbiased. However I do not expect him to be totally unbiased when it comes to his Alma Mater. Come on now, could, or would you?

I remember Curry Kirkpatrick, who wrote for SI and other publications, had no problem showing bias when it came to the Heels. Being a Carolina Journalism Grad, he wrote many flattering pieces about the Tar Heels and especially DES. It made all other schools mad as hell too.

I have to say though, Curry was fair minded in his reporting and articles where other schools were concerned. K was not one of his favorite people, nor was Norm Sloan. He was not so kind to these guys due to comments both had made over time about DES.

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
Of course you would, not many wouldn't, including someone who doesn't need the money, Human nature at work, and in most cases those kids DO need the money and are not willing to wait a few more years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT