ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Recruiting

According to pretty reliable info on TOS , Bateman told Sampson that he wasn't a take.

According to pretty reliable info on TOS , Bateman told Sampson that he wasn't a take.
I'm not trying to be that guy as I'm just a regular fan on here but I assure you when it comes to this subject, I've got the reliable info. Bateman had zero interaction with KJ as Cross has been the contact in this particular recruitment. And no, Cross, nor anyone else, has ever told KJ he wasn't a take at UNC. He's a take at Ohio State, UGA, Clemson etc. And he's a take at UNC.

It’s a shame if he didn’t feel the love from the previous staff but unfortunately an in state school isn’t the dream for every one!!! Hope he does well at FSU
Bateman not thinking he was a fit on the defense pushed KJ away big time. They've tried to make amends with him but too little too late. Glad he isn't going to State tho, ha.

Another VA guy chooses to be a Tar Heel. Nolan McConnell apparently is the first OL player that Bicknell wanted. He is a 3* with an impressive offer list: Arkansas, Boston College, Duke, Florida State, Louisville, Maryland, Michigan State, Nebraska, Ole Miss, NC State, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, and West Virginia.

Note the first on the list: Sam Pittman wanted McConnell though he is very far from AR. The Michigan ST OL coach is Chris Kapilovic.

Guys, recruiting as we have come too know it has changed. For the best players it doesn't matter how nice Mack Brown is, doesn't matter about facilities, and doesn't matter about the school. What matters is the NIL. The best players are going to be going to the highest bidders. Cold, hard, cash is what recruiting is all about now. Have enough NIL money to compete, or get left behind.

Guys, recruiting as we have come too know it has changed. For the best players it doesn't matter how nice Mack Brown is, doesn't matter about facilities, and doesn't matter about the school. What matters is the NIL. The best players are going to be going to the highest bidders. Cold, hard, cash is what recruiting is all about now. Have enough NIL money to compete, or get left behind.
Unfortunately, I think you’re right. College football and basketball are no different from professional sports now. May as well make class attendance optional at this point. No more high road for UNC, we’re buying players just like UK, Bama, etc… We’re no different. I’m ashamed of the University.

Unfortunately, I think you’re right. College football and basketball are no different from professional sports now. May as well make class attendance optional at this point. No more high road for UNC, we’re buying players just like UK, Bama, etc… We’re no different. I’m ashamed of the University.
Been going on everywhere for a long time. But the genie was let out of the bottle years ago. When TV grew in college basketball, that is when things exploded. And it has been a business for a long time. Too many coaches making multi millions a year. Folks will go to any length to protect that payday, when half these were just hoping to be HC at the local high school one day. Like Jimbo Fischer said......the NIL has been around for a long time, just nobody talked about it.

Reactions: matt 1976
My guy, KJ Sampson, is taking visits to other schools even though he’s still committed to FSU. Looks like he’s going to take another visit to Raleigh.

Last edited:
Reactions: ohio tarheels
Welcome to Mr. Tobe. Another DB must be a position of extreme need. Hopefully we get lucky with Downs as well. Not sure if cost will ever make it to campus either.

UNC is officially out of the KJ Sampson sweepstakes. Cross said he doesn’t have the room now that the kid from Panther Creek committed. KJ is 10x better than the other kid but it is what it is. I was told by someone that attended the camp last weekend that UNC received several silent commits.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT