ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal Thread

I'm not saying Seth is a better or lesser pg than RJ but as a general rule RJ turns UNC in to a half court set play type team and that didn't bode well last season and it won't this season either. I just think Seth is much quicker to the basket and would not be looking for "his shot" first and foremost and would be more likely to involve others. jmo
Seth should watch some Bobby Lewis tapes. He was a master at driving and either scoring or kicking out.

Seth can do that, I think, if he works on it. I can see that working really well with Tyson or our frosh as kick-out targets.

Does anyone know anything about 6'11 kid from BYU who just entered the portal because his coach left?

Waterman I think???

He’s spot on in this article. You just seem mad that someone else won’t cough up the millions to buy a team that meets your expectations. Get out your checkbook and pony up a couple of million dollars.
Nope not at all…This POS that you are talking about was all over 99.9 the fan when the stuff went down with Butch Davis and throwing him under the Bus about the AFam BS….He basically said the hell with Football….

Then we found out Basketball Players were also in those classes….He changed his tune…

He is the type of people that has UNC in the situation they are in now…Cant see the future….Many mistakes have put this Athletic Department in the situation they are in now…

It don’t matter to me though I have seen every National Title won in Basketball….I am good…

Now Football I am not good…Also Baseball…I hate Beavers….

I’m not a Chansky fan either but to blame him for the current state of college sports is ludicrous. Sheer greed is responsible. Again, IMO what he said in this article is true.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
He’s spot on in this article. You just seem mad that someone else won’t cough up the millions to buy a team that meets your expectations. Get out your checkbook and pony up a couple of million dollars.
The thing that bothers me about this article - echoed by some here - is the apparent belief that UNC is somehow too noble and honorable to pay what the market demands. With the corollary implication that kids who aren't willing to take less just to play for us are somehow undesirable.

I think that's more in the fairy tale category. It would be nice, but it isn't realistic.

"Vanderbilt forward Ven-Allen Lubin entered the NCAA transfer portal with a no contact tag...."

That's from On3 on May 1.

The conventional wisdom here seems to be that when a kid says "no contact" that means he already knows where he's going.

Does that mean we're where he already knew he was going? Or did his initial choice fall through, and now he's removed the no contact instruction?

If a kid enters the portal no contact but then takes a while to commit, is that because they're haggling over money? Something else?

"Vanderbilt forward Ven-Allen Lubin entered the NCAA transfer portal with a no contact tag...."

That's from On3 on May 1.

The conventional wisdom here seems to be that when a kid says "no contact" that means he already knows where he's going.

Does that mean we're where he already knew he was going? Or did his initial choice fall through, and now he's removed the no contact instruction?

If a kid enters the portal no contact but then takes a while to commit, is that because they're haggling over money? Something else?
Maybe Dook involved with him

Maybe Dook involved with him
Since Duke just landed their 4th portal guy, I think we're safe from that angle. Lubin is somewhat lower ranked in the portal, so maybe our usual poachers haven't adjusted their sights that low yet.

I don't expect him to be our savior, but I hope we get him . . . and soon.

If he's not on board in the next few days, I fear that's a bad sign. Who's next on our list?

Unless I've miscounted, we have 10 guys now. That's 1 or 2 more than Calipari thinks he needs. Then again, he's probably assuming he has all 5-stars and top 4-stars in that count, and all of them can start. Whereas more than half of our guys have yet to prove they can start at this level, and a couple of them probably can't (yet).

Since Duke just landed their 4th portal guy, I think we're safe from that angle. Lubin is somewhat lower ranked in the portal, so maybe our usual poachers haven't adjusted their sights that low yet.

I don't expect him to be our savior, but I hope we get him . . . and soon.

If he's not on board in the next few days, I fear that's a bad sign. Who's next on our list?

Unless I've miscounted, we have 10 guys now. That's 1 or 2 more than Calipari thinks he needs. Then again, he's probably assuming he has all 5-stars and top 4-stars in that count, and all of them can start. Whereas more than half of our guys have yet to prove they can start at this level, and a couple of them probably can't (yet).
Dook would go after him just to ride the pine so he doesn't play / start for us

Lehigh transfer Burke Chebuhar has committed to Notre Dame. The 6’8” senior forward started 22/32 games, averaging 7.5 points, 5.0 rebounds, and 1.0 assist.

The thing that bothers me about this article - echoed by some here - is the apparent belief that UNC is somehow too noble and honorable to pay what the market demands. With the corollary implication that kids who aren't willing to take less just to play for us are somehow undesirable.

I think that's more in the fairy tale category. It would be nice, but it isn't realistic.
Accurate

Louisville just added its 12th player from the portal. Which they had to do, of course, since they lost everybody. With their single freshman, that completes their roster.

Most are 4-stars according to 1 or more rating services. Which may be why an article on TOS thinks they could be 4th in the ACC when the dust settles. We're #2 after Duke, and they say that could flip if we get a top big.

The good news for us is that presumably takes Louisville out of the running for Onyenso. Unless 1 of their 13 scholarship players is willing to walk on or decides to go elsewhere.

Louisville just added its 12th player from the portal. Which they had to do, of course, since they lost everybody. With their single freshman, that completes their roster.

Most are 4-stars according to 1 or more rating services. Which may be why an article on TOS thinks they could be 4th in the ACC when the dust settles. We're #2 after Duke, and they say that could flip if we get a top big.

The good news for us is that presumably takes Louisville out of the running for Onyenso. Unless 1 of their 13 scholarship players is willing to walk on or decides to go elsewhere.
K State and others have done well with a full roster move in, but that is a very volatile roll of the dice with chemistry.

I'm hoping for a more than a mere respectable ACC, it helps UNC for sure. BEAT SOME TEAMS OUT OF CONFERENCE.

Louisville

Frank Anselem-Ibe was Louisville's 13th scholarship player.

Why in the world would you have 13 guys on the schools dime and also have to pay NIL money in this day and age…It’s just plain dumb…No way in hell all 13 are going to play but you are wasting NIL money on them…I still feel 10 is the magic number moving forward…That way you can develop guys and have the money to keep them…

The days of full rosters are over…Plus nobody is playing 10 deep anymore…

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
Why in the world would you have 13 guys on the schools dime and also have to pay NIL money in this day and age…It’s just plain dumb…No way in hell all 13 are going to play but you are wasting NIL money on them…I still feel 10 is the magic number moving forward…That way you can develop guys and have the money to keep them…

But if you have the money and the players know and agree to come why wouldn’t you want a full roster of peeps who could play? Not just a few hand out scholarship players but guys who can compete.

But if you have the money and the players know and agree to come why wouldn’t you want a full roster of peeps who could play? Not just a few hand out scholarship players but guys who can compete.
What programs are doing that and winning…Let me know….Plus I am laughing at the people on this board about us playing 10 or 11 guys over 10 minutes…

Reactions: BCox83
What programs are doing that and winning…Let me know….Plus I am laughing at the people on this board about us playing 10 or 11 guys over 10 minutes…
Never talked about minutes but anyway. We used to do it quite often. Can’t do it so much now. But there’s been several times ol Roy would pull out five for five and still run teams off the court. Just because nobody not doing now doesn’t mean it won’t work. And who and the heck bitches about teams with too many talented players besides you. No one!

Reactions: TPFKAPFS

That's certainly the line Calipari has taken. But he can do that because he's poaching a bunch of top players.

While that strategy may work for Cal and a few others, for as long as they can get the top talent, for a team like Louisville, the calculation is different.

While Louisville got a bunch of 4-stars, they weren't the cream of the 4-stars. They're coming off an embarrassingly horrible "worse and worser" 4 years. They have a new coach. Everybody transferred out.

Kelsey may figure he needs to load up just to make sure he has enough talent to put together a non-cellar team. He may not care if half of them transfer after a year, as long as Louisville reverses its recent course.

Or, alternatively, he may be planning to develop some of the guys who will be coming off the bench - and may have recruited guys who said they were OK with that.

You can afford to have a short bench as long as you have 8 or 9 guys without major question marks. We have too many question marks at the moment, imo.

I mean, which of our players does not have a question mark or 3 next to their name? RJ and . . . ?

If we stop recruiting now, and several of our question marks resolve the way we hope, we'll be fine.

Is Coleman Hawkins still an option? He says he's all in on the NBA, but elsewhere he says he wants guaranteed money. On top of that, he says if he returns it won't be to the Big 10.

I think he'd be an excellent addition to the roster.

Are there any other players who might pull out of the draft that we have interest in and a chance with?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT