ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal Thread

Wake's Hunter Sallis returns. CBS rates him a top ACC POY candidate, so I imagine Forbes is very happy.

They'll miss Andrew Carr, but could be in the hunt again this year, after tying Clemson for 5th in the ACC last season.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
As expected, Harrison Ingram stayed in the draft.

He's set to become the first UNC player drafted since 2021.

We could have a few guys go pro from this year's squad.

As expected, Harrison Ingram stayed in the draft.

He's set to become the first UNC player drafted since 2021.

We could have a few guys go pro from this year's squad.
Wishing him the best. Probably high 2nd round is his ceiling, bottom or undrafted the floor? Mid second round most probable? He had a solid draft camp. Get it, young fella !

Wondering if someone can offer an opinion. Looking purely at income next year what’s the difference in $ between middle second round draft pick, NIL from a school like UNC, and playing professional overseas.

Wishing Ingram the very best. Thanks for being a part of Tar Heel nation.

Wondering if someone can offer an opinion. Looking purely at income next year what’s the difference in $ between middle second round draft pick, NIL from a school like UNC, and playing professional overseas.

Wishing Ingram the very best. Thanks for being a part of Tar Heel nation.
I get your question but I doubt he’s going for the short term money.

Players like Ingram are unlikely to see a first round pick and their best course of action is to play their way onto a team. I guess he’s ready to start that process now.

I hope he makes it. He has a number of very unique skills that could see him get on a roster - predominantly hustle.

I get your question but I doubt he’s going for the short term money.

Players like Ingram are unlikely to see a first round pick and their best course of action is to play their way onto a team. I guess he’s ready to start that process now.

I hope he makes it. He has a number of very unique skills that could see him get on a roster - predominantly hustle.
You can get contracts from the second round and ideally get to your second contract, where the money is. I know you probably know this but I’m just being optimistic. lol

I'd love to see serious reporting on this.

Really...??
Depends on who steps up. It's easier to be confident in our shorter players at this juncture, but that could change.

If guys like JWit and JWash step up, we won't need to go small. But we might go small anyway - just because we have lots of small talent.

If Ian and Drake are ready for this level, it will be hard to deny them.

Even if JWit and JWash improve, that doesn't necessarily mean the team will do better with them on the floor while guys like Ian and Drake ride the pine.

If we can go small because we have an abundance of talented guys who are ready, that should make for a fun season.

OTOH, if we must go small because our bigs aren't good enough, that lowers our ceiling.

I would think hoping for a 2-way G-League contract like Leaky got?
You don’t think he could get a roster spot? I’m not really sure but hopeful. I know he played well in the scrimmages. He bullied several players to score and facilitate. I was a little mad on the second game I think. All the showed was the James crew.

You don’t think he could get a roster spot? I’m not really sure but hopeful. I know he played well in the scrimmages. He bullied several players to score and facilitate. I was a little mad on the second game I think. All the showed was the James crew.
I wouldn't eliminate the chance, but he is old for the group he was "muscling" and as a bottom of the roster spot that hurts, not really the plus skill they see at the next level.

Bronny is getting drafted, he preformed very well to his strength and shot lights out, Ingram would of helped himself greatly if he shot it like Bronny. His, Bronny's, dee skill is seen similar to Leaky, but as a guard not a wing, it is seen as a plus level skill, will get him looks, but I think he will be on a 2 -way as well. His age and performance playing up in those scrimmages give teams a higher possible ceiling for him in 3 years, with a possible plus skill area.

Both would be down the road potential guys to develop though. I think they will be drafted in a similar spot. Best of luck to each.

You can get contracts from the second round and ideally get to your second contract, where the money is. I know you probably know this but I’m just being optimistic. lol
Yup. And the key to getting a call-up from the g-league is having non-scoring intangibles which will add value to a team.

Justin Jackson was a terrific g-league scorer but teams often aren’t looking for scoring when bringing up g-leaguers. Defense, hustle, rebounding etc will see a player brought up.

That’s why I hope Ingram will get his chance - he carries many of those in-demand intangibles.

I wouldn't eliminate the chance, but he is old for the group he was "muscling" and as a bottom of the roster spot that hurts, not really the plus skill they see at the next level.

Bronny is getting drafted, he preformed very well to his strength and shot lights out, Ingram would of helped himself greatly if he shot it like Bronny. His, Bronny's, dee skill is seen similar to Leaky, but as a guard not a wing, it is seen as a plus level skill, will get him looks, but I think he will be on a 2 -way as well. His age and performance playing up in those scrimmages give teams a higher possible ceiling for him in 3 years, with a possible plus skill area.

Both would be down the road potential guys to develop though. I think they will be drafted in a similar spot. Best of luck to each.
For Ingram, age isn’t an issue. When teams look to fill their last roster spots they’re looking at immediate help vs potential.

For Ingram, age isn’t an issue. When teams look to fill their last roster spots they’re looking at immediate help vs potential.
I would agree for just a "deeper" roster spot (8‐10), maybe, but 11 through 15 on a roster is usually developmental first and foremost, or old vets for guidance. The guys they think have a shot to get into a rotation often are 2-way contract guys. NBA teans don't go 12 deep for immediate help. No minutes for that. The best play, no sub in to develop at that level. You do that on your 2-way.

I did think Ingram was older than 21 though also. I'm rooting for him to find a good fit to develop.

Last edited:
Yup. And the key to getting a call-up from the g-league is having non-scoring intangibles which will add value to a team.

Justin Jackson was a terrific g-league scorer but teams often aren’t looking for scoring when bringing up g-leaguers. Defense, hustle, rebounding etc will see a player brought up.

That’s why I hope Ingram will get his chance - he carries many of those in-demand intangibles.
True, they want a skill that can translate. The terrific scorer on the D-squad ain't getting 15-20 featured looks in the Association. He isn't the scorer on that NBA roster. If he is a three and dee then that translates. Have to have a plus skill for the NBA rosters need. If they were a plus scorer for the Association scorer level, then they are already in the rotation.

According to Zagoria...

Kentucky transfer Ugonna Onyenso is planning several visits after withdrawing from the NBA Draft.​
The 7-footer from Nigeria will visit Kansas State on Monday and is also planning to visit North Carolina, Mississippi State and Oregon, a source with direct knowledge told ZAGSBLOG. No other dates have yet been scheduled.​
Onyenso, ranked No. 47 in the ESPN 100 among NBA draft prospects, averaged 3.6 points, 4.8 rebounds and 2.8 blocks in 19 minutes last season at Kentucky.​
“I want the NBA to know that I am a big that can shoot the ball,” Onyenso told ESPN last month before pulling out of the draft. “I am not just a defensive player. It’s not only about blocking shots with me. I did what I needed to do to help the team, but I don’t think anyone saw what I am capable of doing. I am excited to show people that.​

Would it be reasonable to think that we are in contact with him? Would he plan to visit if we weren't interested?

Also interesting that Arkansas is not (yet) on his list. Was he unhappy with Calipari?

Meanwhile, Coleman Hawkins is reportedly looking for more money than we are likely to be willing to spend.

“Per a source, his agent has already let schools know he’s looking for a pay day on par with Great Osobor (reported $2 million). In other words, if you’re not ready to pay – don’t call.”

And then there was this headline:

Coleman Hawkins’ 7-figure NIL demands in transfer portal after NBA Draft withdrawal​

According to Zagoria...

Kentucky transfer Ugonna Onyenso is planning several visits after withdrawing from the NBA Draft.​
The 7-footer from Nigeria will visit Kansas State on Monday and is also planning to visit North Carolina, Mississippi State and Oregon, a source with direct knowledge told ZAGSBLOG. No other dates have yet been scheduled.​
Onyenso, ranked No. 47 in the ESPN 100 among NBA draft prospects, averaged 3.6 points, 4.8 rebounds and 2.8 blocks in 19 minutes last season at Kentucky.​
“I want the NBA to know that I am a big that can shoot the ball,” Onyenso told ESPN last month before pulling out of the draft. “I am not just a defensive player. It’s not only about blocking shots with me. I did what I needed to do to help the team, but I don’t think anyone saw what I am capable of doing. I am excited to show people that.​

Would it be reasonable to think that we are in contact with him? Would he plan to visit if we weren't interested?

Also interesting that Arkansas is not (yet) on his list. Was he unhappy with Calipari?
I stopped believing Zags after he convinced everyone that Dom Cheeks was likely coming to Carolina.

Onyenso hasn't scheduled a visit to UNC. Somebody "with direct knowledge" claims he's planning a UNC visit.

Onyenso committed to K State.

Brazille is returning to Arkansas.
Transfer portal has been an absolute clown show in Chapel Hill. Can't even get them to visit much less commit. Let's ride with Wirhers and Washington said no sane coaching staff in the entire country. The same Withers that jacked a shot with the game on the line. My God what a failure. We're running a country club not a basketball program.

• Haha
Reactions: RoseHeel and RP12
Transfer portal has been an absolute clown show in Chapel Hill. Can't even get them to visit much less commit. Let's ride with Wirhers and Washington said no sane coaching staff in the entire country. The same Withers that jacked a shot with the game on the line. My God what a failure. We're running a country club not a basketball program.
Did Lubin decommit? I understand that it’s not been the best but they have brought in two great guys.

Reactions: RP12
Please keep away from sharp objects and high ledges.

Recap:
Teams out there had to retool their entire rosters and managed to get multiple peeps. Teams out there got new coaches and players they had already recruited or signed opted to go with them. Teams out there had no ethical center + wide open, deep pockets and were willing to pay mercenaries and got them. OK, good for them!

UNC had 3 open schollys and exactly 2 needs: Shooting and a Big who can contribute. 1. Hubs got arguably the best shooter in the portal AND he won't cause further PT angst at 2! (and he is willing to compete at wing)
2. Hubs got a D1 starting Big who is willing to compete without a promise of starting and will not cause PT angst in our front court!
3. Both guys can play and defend multiple positions and are coachable!

So that is called a failure???? I'm mystified as to what success would have been. Hubs went after and missed on 2 peeps and got the third he went after so.....Oh, and 2 peeps who others called misses dropped out of the draft and are dying for some Tar Heel love but Hubs is a failure.......Entitlement must be one heck of a drug!

Onyenso committed to K State.

Brazille is returning to Arkansas.
If Hawkins is too expensive and these guys are gone, are there any others we should be looking at?

How about Arthur Kaluma?

There are still 2 excellent, taller SFs on the board, the last I checked. Watkins looks all but gone, but how about Jaylen Wells? Then again, why would he want to go somewhere where he'd have to play PF? It worked out for Ingram, but Ingram was strong like bull.

Last week I would have put the odds we were done at 90%. With Onyenso gone it's more like 99.9%.

If Hawkins is too expensive and these guys are gone, are there any others we should be looking at?

How about Arthur Kaluma?

There are still 2 excellent, taller SFs on the board, the last I checked. Watkins looks all but gone, but how about Jaylen Wells? Then again, why would he want to go somewhere where he'd have to play PF? It worked out for Ingram, but Ingram was strong like bull.

Last week I would have put the odds we were done at 90%. With Onyenso gone it's more like 99.9%.
I think the only way you'd go after a small-forward like Jaylen Wells is if you view Tyson mainly as a 4. But if you view Tyson as a 4 you certainly aren't going after an Arthur Kaluma.

I think the only way you'd go after a small-forward like Jaylen Wells is if you view Tyson mainly as a 4. But if you view Tyson as a 4 you certainly aren't going after an Arthur Kaluma.
From the clips I watched, I hate to think of Cade playing much, if any, at PF.

Sure, he showed a willingness and success at going inside for Belmont. But he was taking advantage of people who had to take his outside shot very seriously. I don't think he should be playing inside much as a default position. Then again, with his shooting, could he be a shorter Brady Manek?

Manek had the advantage of playing with Armando in the middle. Cade won't have that luxury, unless one of our bigs manages to fill that hole better than I currently expect. Could happen.

How about Arthur Kaluma?

We were 100% done after Lubin committed

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT