ADVERTISEMENT

2025 recruiting....

WWJD, this is the best post I’ve ever seen from you and one of the best on the entire topic.

I admit I severely dislike the current player bidding wars, and do not see how it is sustainable… but time will tell on that.

You’ve hit the nail on the head suggesting UNC might be better off targeting non-NBA ready players because these players have been the best for UNC over the last 25 yrs: May, Felton, McCants, Hansborough, Lawson, Ellington, Berry, Jackson, Hicks, Meeks, Bacot, RJ were all highly rated high schoolers but had flaws which kept them from being OAD.

The truth is, talent is needed…. But more necessary, is talent that sticks around.
Except for the past 18 months we are losing every recruitment we've been in for the 5-stars that fit the Felton, May, McCants, Hansbrough, Lawson, Ellington, Berry, Jackson, Hicks, Bacot mold.

Every one of these players: May, Felton, McCants, Hansbrough, Lawson, Ellington, Berry, Jackson, Hicks, Meeks, Bacot, RJ would command bidding wars if they were high school seniors today.

Carolina can get in the game or get left behind. It’s their choice.

May, Felton, McCants, Lawson, Ellington, Hansbrough, and Jackson were all ranked in the top 10 of their respective classes. They would be receiving massive NIL offers in the current era. They absolutely could have been one-and-done if they wanted to.

These attempts to rewrite history to make excuses for the current recruiting struggles are just sad.

Pretty much every jersey hanging in the Dean Dome rafters is a high ranked recruit who would be subject to a bidding war if they were a current high school senior.

Every one of these players: May, Felton, McCants, Hansbrough, Lawson, Ellington, Berry, Jackson, Hicks, Meeks, Bacot, RJ would command bidding wars if they were high school seniors today.

Carolina can get in the game or get left behind. It’s their choice.
People who haven’t taken a second mortgage out on their house to give to UNC for NIL aren’t doing enough. Don’t expect others to pony up all that money. You do it if it’s so important to you.

People who haven’t taken a second mortgage out on their house to give to UNC for NIL aren’t doing enough. Don’t expect others to pony up all that money. You do it if it’s so important to you.
It’s clearly not my money and I’ve said that before. They can do as they see fit, but we need to learn to live with sub par classes if the program isn’t going to ramp up NIL efforts. We’re just trying to discuss the reality of today’s culture and unfortunately this is reality. You might want to seriously consider unfollowing college basketball if this climate offends you.

Reactions: OldSchoo01
I bought a couple NIL boxes. That should get me a Paxton Wojick for a few games...🤪

Winning a Natty in basketball will not be about how much you can pay a OAD, it will be about what you can pay to retain your player another year, and what you will pay an experienced transfer.

Someone mentioned the Hans, Felton, McCants we had. Besides Hans non of these guys as "freshmen" where worth big money!

With current transfer rules. Felton, McCants, and that crew would have transferred after freshmen year (They all wanted out if you recall).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT