ADVERTISEMENT

Any Combine News?

ESPN2 is currently covering a 5 on 5 scrimmage . . 3-7 pm.

I caught the last 45 minutes.

1. Hicks faced the basket, knocked down the 16-18 footer with ease, put the ball on the floor like a true wing.

2. I heard Big Meeks dominated the paint early, but I missed that part. But he did look good rebounding and blocked a few shots that I saw.

Hicks measured 6'8 1/2 with shoes---alot shorter than I thought

Meeks measured 6'10 1/2 with shoes and 276lbs---he looks much slimmer

Not sure if the results are complete, but as of 5/11:

Kennedy was dead last in lane agility, shuttle run, and 3/4-court sprint. He was 3rd to last (tied) in max vert. Ouch.

Bradley was 2nd to last in both standing vert and max vert (which is no surprise, really).

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
Not sure if the results are complete, but as of 5/11:

Kennedy was dead last in lane agility, shuttle run, and 3/4-court sprint. He was 3rd to last (tied) in max vert. Ouch.

Bradley was 2nd to last in both standing vert and max vert (which is no surprise, really).
Troll!!!

Hicks measured 6'8 1/2 with shoes---alot shorter than I thought

Meeks measured 6'10 1/2 with shoes and 276lbs---he looks much slimmer
Despite being a below the rim player , those measureables are big for Meeks. Keep in mind though that Hicks and Meeks have pretty much the same wingspan.

Also Jackson with a 7'3" wingspan. Everywhere prior to the combine had it listed at 6'11". How were the previous measurements off by that much?

Also Jackson with a 7'3" wingspan. Everywhere prior to the combine had it listed at 6'11". How were the previous measurements off by that much?

The switched the "Justin Jackson" measurements. It's the Maryland JJ with the 7'3" wingspan.

This is some misleading ass shit you posted.

http://stats.nba.com/draft/combine

Meeks is 2nd aka dead last by .04 seconds in the shuttle run.

Three quarter sprint he is dead last... aka third by .05 seconds.

Meeks is 3rd in standing vertical leap for centers and 5th for max vertical for centers. Like whoa. Wtf.

Huh?

Looks like a couple of additional numbers have been added, but he's almost dead last in every speed/agility drill. How is that misleading?

In the lane agility drill, he's 7th of 7 players listed as "C" or "PF-C" and 43rd of 43 players overall.
In the shuttle run, he's 7th of 7 players listed as "C" or "PF-C" and 41st of 42 players overall.
In the 3/4-court sprint, he's 7th of 7 players listed as "C" or "PF-C" and 41st of 42 players overall.

Hicks and Meeks will both play in the L, and probably for a long time.
And the naysayers around here wont have much if anything to say.

Hicks and Meeks will both play in the L, and probably for a long time.
And the naysayers around here wont have much if anything to say.

I'll have plenty to say, because I'll be thrilled. I'm pulling for every single player who leaves UNC in good favor. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it. Will you?

Read where Bradley isn't playing in the 5 on 5 game.... has a tweaked ankle..... huuuummmmm?
Everybody talks about the danger of returning to school and getting injured. Nobody talks about the danger of entering the draft and getting injured. That'll teach him to test the waters.

Just kidding (and a poor joke, I know). Hope he gets better soon. And returns to school.

Meeks has constantly proven his ability to outperform his stats, speed and jumping ability. He's a proven hustle guy who is dependable. Hard to see him ever starting and may very well be a late 2nd round draft pick at best. Question to me is will a coach want a great guy like that on his roster instead of having some "athletic flier" on the roster instead.

Everybody talks about the danger of returning to school and getting injured. Nobody talks about the danger of entering the draft and getting injured. That'll teach him to test the waters.

Just kidding (and a poor joke, I know). Hope he gets better soon. And returns to school.

Pagin @mikeirbyusa.... wwjd made a joke. Doesn't his "butt" belong on tos? Just asking for some consistency here.

Meeks has constantly proven his ability to outperform his stats, speed and jumping ability. He's a proven hustle guy who is dependable. Hard to see him ever starting and may very well be a late 2nd round draft pick at best. Question to me is will a coach want a great guy like that on his roster instead of having some "athletic flier" on the roster instead.

25 years ago, Meeks would have been a first round pick and a guy that would have a 10 year career in the NBA ahead of him. The game has changed drastically over the years and the NBA is played differently now. There are few traditional, low post big men these days. Everybody wants bigs that can step out and shoot the ball and can cover guys on the perimeter. Meeks may expand his range. I've always thought he had a soft touch (and I've always been befuddled as to why he's such a lousy FT shooter). But he will never be able to guard other bigs out on the perimeter. But 25 years ago, bigs stayed down low. And Meeks holds his ground pretty well. He did a masterful job defending Gonzaga's bigs - both of which I expect to play professionally. And those two bigs for Gonzaga have two different styles of play and Meeks faired well against both showing he can guard in the post. But again, his lack of ability to guard out top and his lack of explosiveness will probably prevent him from having a career in today's NBA. I imagine he'll make a very good living overseas. Deon Thompson has and Meeks is the better player.

25 years ago, Meeks would have been a first round pick and a guy that would have a 10 year career in the NBA ahead of him. The game has changed drastically over the years and the NBA is played differently now. There are few traditional, low post big men these days. Everybody wants bigs that can step out and shoot the ball and can cover guys on the perimeter. Meeks may expand his range. I've always thought he had a soft touch (and I've always been befuddled as to why he's such a lousy FT shooter). But he will never be able to guard other bigs out on the perimeter. But 25 years ago, bigs stayed down low. And Meeks holds his ground pretty well. He did a masterful job defending Gonzaga's bigs - both of which I expect to play professionally. And those two bigs for Gonzaga have two different styles of play and Meeks faired well against both showing he can guard in the post. But again, his lack of ability to guard out top and his lack of explosiveness will probably prevent him from having a career in today's NBA. I imagine he'll make a very good living overseas. Deon Thompson has and Meeks is the better player.

Great assessment. Meeks ended up being a very good college player and an essential part of a championship team. But the NBA is just different.

Reactions: Archer2
The segment says it all. Kevin Durant was critized and laughed at during the combine because he could not bench press 185 pounds. As stated in the segment, the only thing needed to determine whether a player is a player is the eye test and all the tape of that player's game. KD certainly is a player and him not being able to bench press 185 pounds had nothing to do with anything. Meeks certainly isn't KD but the point KD was making and the points made on this show are true. Look at those types and determine whether the guy can play or not. Who cares if he can run suicides under x amount of time.

Durant was drafted #2 overall behind a player who was viewed as a generational talent (Oden) because he was (and is) a freakish combination of measurables (6'9" barefoot, 7'4.75" wingspan, 9'2" standing reach), coordination/touch, and production. Durant is freakishly talented, and nobody ever said otherwise.

Yep. I think he has to show he can stretch the floor at this point to stick for a long time. But at the same time is he any worse than I guy like Rony Turiaf was from an NBA standpoint? WHo had a 10 year career off the bench.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT