ADVERTISEMENT

Any Combine News?

Pull-ups in the circle are the same as long jump shots just inside the 3-point line. Look at the distance in that NBA combine video. This is the range that Meeks didn't master in college. I know many want to put the best spend on this, but Roy almost had a heart attack (and most fans also) when Meeks took those long jump shots. He didn't hit any of those during the season. Roy pulled him out of a game in the Dance when if took one of those shots. I love myself some Meeks, but if he was a proven long range shooter his senior year he would probably be projected as a guaranteed second round pick. Lets call a spade a spade folks.

Dude what are you talking about? First of all Meeks didn't take a ton of these shots secondly I recall him making some, sort of like Tyler zeller used to. I remember him maybe taking one of these in the dance, if at all. No ones arguing he's a proven long range shooter but you are talking nonsense. First you claimed he took a bunch of 3s and never made any and then when you were proven wrong you changed it to long range twos.

He rarely took those either but he did make some of them, which again contradicts what your claiming. Meeks has a nice touch on his shot and he really never took enough one way or the other to know for sure if he could step away from the hoop in the way you're describing.

Repetition Matters! So does confidence.

Big Meeks is playing alot more freely now that's he's trying to get paid, as well as knowing he wont get yanked if he misses one.

#FullHouse

Dude what are you talking about? First of all Meeks didn't take a ton of these shots secondly I recall him making some, sort of like Tyler zeller used to. I remember him maybe taking one of these in the dance, if at all. No ones arguing he's a proven long range shooter but you are talking nonsense. First you claimed he took a bunch of 3s and never made any and then when you were proven wrong you changed it to long range twos.

He rarely took those either but he did make some of them, which again contradicts what your claiming. Meeks has a nice touch on his shot and he really never took enough one way or the other to know for sure if he could step away from the hoop in the way you're describing.
The fact remains that Roy cringed every time Meeks took a long jump shot and the one he took in the Dance could have caused the Heels the game because it was at a critical moment in the game. I live for the day when all posters have the guts to come back on the board and say they mispoke in a prior post. I was wrong about the number of 3-point shots he took. What is the big deal about that? Bottom line which should not be in dispute, Meeks was not a reliable shooter from long range at any time during his UNC career and seeing him in a video at the NBA Combine hitting 10-12 shots in a row is a moot point. He didn't do it at UNC and that's the point I'm making which is not in dispute.

He didn't do it at UNC and that's the point I'm making which is not in dispute.

Not disputing his UNC career, the mid range game wasn't used for whatever reason.
My point is that he can make that shot. He did it often on the prep and AAU scene, and these videos don't lie.
He will more than likely need that part of his game again to play and be effective at the pro level.

The fact remains that Roy cringed every time Meeks took a long jump shot and the one he took in the Dance could have caused the Heels the game because it was at a critical moment in the game. I live for the day when all posters have the guts to come back on the board and say they mispoke in a prior post. I was wrong about the number of 3-point shots he took. What is the big deal about that? Bottom line which should not be in dispute, Meeks was not a reliable shooter from long range at any time during his UNC career and seeing him in a video at the NBA Combine hitting 10-12 shots in a row is a moot point. He didn't do it at UNC and that's the point I'm making which is not in dispute.

I still dont get what youre driving at. He rarely ever took these shots at UNC and when he did he was hardly as bad as Youre making it out to be. He "wasnt a reliable shooter from long range" because he wasnt used that way at all in our offense. It remains to be seen if he can do it or not. Your argument is null and void.

He never hit one of the 3-point shots in a game...he took several and never hit one.

That was your original post. You owe Kennedy an apology and quit trying to side-step what you posted. :p

That was your original post. You owe Kennedy an apology and quit trying to side-step what you posted. :p
Mikey, I already said I mispoke on the 3-pointers above. But, if it makes you feel better here you go:

Kennedy, I apologize for not realizing you were excellent long range shooter coming out of high school. I regret that Roy didn't let you display those skills at UNC. Research shows that you only took one 3-point shot your senior year and you failed to hit the one shot. The other long range jumpers you missed were not 3-point jumpers. Dummy me! :mad:

Last edited:
Kennedy, I apologize for not realizing you were excellent long range shooter coming out of high school. I regret that Roy didn't let you display those skills at UNC. Research shows that you only took one 3-point shot your senior year and you failed to hit the one shot. The other long range jumpers you missed that were not 3-point jumpers. :mad:

The dude knew how to get a crucial rebound and how to make a championship-winning block, so his lack of long range attempts is not a problem for me.

Pull-ups in the circle are the same as long jump shots just inside the 3-point line. Look at the distance in that NBA combine video. This is the range that Meeks didn't master in college. I know many want to put the best spend on this, but Roy almost had a heart attack (and most fans also) when Meeks took those long jump shots. He didn't hit any of those during the season. Roy pulled him out of a game in the Dance when if took one of those shots. I love myself some Meeks, but if he was a proven long range shooter his senior year he would probably be projected as a guaranteed second round pick. Lets call a spade a spade folks.
Yes they are, and he did hit some. Not sure where you're going with this? He didn't take many because that wasn't his role.

Kennedy showed he could hit the 15-18 footer in high school. But he was our best rebounder this year and Roy didn't want him straying too far from the basket, so he didn't get many opportunities to display that ability. It will serve him well as he plays for pay.

Yes they are, and he did hit some. Not sure where you're going with this? He didn't take many because that wasn't his role.
You are right, it was not his role. And people who assume he would have hit those those long jumpers on a consistent basis if given the green light is a moot point. The fact remains that it didn't happen and it will be something we will never know. Analogy...It's like saying a kid at the top of a higher hill with with a smooth surface will be able to roll down on his first try without falling over. How to the heck we know if the kid has never done it at that level? The same holds true for Meeks on the Division 1 level. Assuming that he would have been a good outside shooter if Roy would have given him the green light is a big assumption. Shooting long jumpers in practice does not prove anything..i.e Kenny Williams his freshman year. What we do know is that Roy shanked him out of the game in the Dance when he took that long jumper and missed at a critical point in the game. If you recall, Roy was very upset at that and kept him on the bench for several minutes. Hindsight is 20-20. I don't what else I can tell you if you still don't get my point. I wish Meeks the best and hope he has a productive NBA career which inludes nailing consistently long outside jumpers.

Last edited:
You are right, it was not his role. And people who assume he would have hit those those long jumpers on a consistent basis if given the green light is a moot point. The fact remains that it didn't happen and it will be something we will never know. Analogy...It's like saying a kid at the top of a higher hill with with a smooth surface will be able to roll down on his first try without falling over. How to the heck we know if the kid has never done it at that level? The same holds true for Meeks on the Division 1 level. Assuming that he would have been a good outside shooter if Roy would have given him the green light is a big assumption. Shooting long jumpers in practice does not prove anything..i.e Kenny Williams his freshman year. What we do know is that Roy shanked him out of the game in the Dance when he took that long jumper and missed at a critical point in the game. If you recall, Roy was very upset at that and kept him on the bench for several minutes. Hindsight is 20-20. I don't what else I can tell you if you still don't get my point. I wish Meeks the best and hope he has a productive NBA career which inludes nailing consistently long outside jumpers.
It was a situational thing when he got pulled for an unwise shot. My point was that Kennedy took pull-up jumpers from time to time during his career, and as long as it was in the flow, as in the Secondary, I didn't see Roy having a problem with it.

It was a situational thing when he got pulled for an unwise shot. My point was that Kennedy took pull-up jumpers from time to time during his career, and as long as it was in the flow, as in the Secondary, I didn't see Roy having a problem with it.

Gary, I'm going to bow out and go hide under a rock. Our discussion reminds me of a baseball arbitration case when the player's rep arguing with the team on what salary the player deserves the next season. The player is one of the best on the team and beloved by all the fans. The owner criticizes the player on some minor deficiency to justify why he should not get the higher salary. No one wins. Meeks is one of my favorite players ever and was a major contributor in the Heels title run. I love the guy. I bow out! Peace my brother..lol

I love it . Person bases their argument on a total lie-"Kennedy took and missed several threes." Then once thats shown to be wrong they shift gears."Well, ok, he didnt shoot any threes but he missed a lot just inside the arc which is the same.".Nope, wrong again. "Umm ok, well, once in a tournament game he got pulled by Roy for shooting a 15 footer.".wait..thats wrong too? "ok, well, its a moot point because I guess we will never know if he could hit those shots or not"

Sheed was decent from outside too, but never got a green light from Dean

Sometimes Good is the enemy of Best. Rebounders/Bodies/Skillsets like Sheed and Meeks were at their greatest utility to the team playing inside. I know you already know that though.

I wish it had gone in too, but....Ball Don't lie!

Love me some Sheed and Meeks; I hope Sheed ends up as a coach some day!

QUOTE="TarHeelMark, post: 868685, member: 2334"]Who?[/QUOTE]
LMAO....moo's Ted Kapita. A pretty decent player , will probably end up overseas.

Kennedy has a good stroke as shown on the video. In case you guys missed it, he wasn't being defended and showed zero lateral movement. It goes back to the challenges he has faced and will face at next level. He lacks lateral quickness to create separation and can't put the Ball on the floor and create his own shot. He can however hit the open shot and bang his way to the rim.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT