ADVERTISEMENT

Any Combine News?

Everybody talks about the danger of returning to school and getting injured. Nobody talks about the danger of entering the draft and getting injured. That'll teach him to test the waters.

Just kidding (and a poor joke, I know). Hope he gets better soon. And returns to school.
I have my doubts as to how injured he is. I have a feeling it's more of a "hope my stock doesn't drop" move on his part.

I hope Kennedy gets drafted and makes an NBA roster. The young man made great strides over his time at UNC and represented himself and the university with class. I'm proud to call him a Tar Heel.

And... the rebound vs Oregon, THE BLOCK! and the steal to seal the deal vs the Zags will live forever in this Tar Heel's fond memories.

Last edited:
I was happy to see Roy at the combine. How many other coaches were there to support their players?

I'm going on pure gut instinct here. I think Roy will ultimately be the guy to get Tony to come back to Carolina.

Regardless of what happens. All the best to Tony

Just another reason the NBA sucks.

The NBA sucks because they want players with high potential? Players aren't punished for staying 4 years, they're punished for not showing what the NBA wants to see in those 4 years. An NBA prospect is expected to show a lot by the time he's in his early 20s. An 18 year-old generally has more potential for improvement than a 21 year-old with similar production.

The NBA sucks because they want players with high potential? Players aren't punished for staying 4 years, they're punished for not showing what the NBA wants to see in those 4 years. An NBA prospect is expected to show a lot by the time he's in his early 20s. An 18 year-old generally has more potential for improvement than a 21 year-old with similar production.
Fair point. I wonder where Kennedy would have been drafted if he had this season as a soph.

Wow! Why didn't Kennedy get the green light more often from Roy if he can shoot like that?

Wow! Why didn't Kennedy get the green light more often from Roy if he can shoot like that?

Kennedy's #1 skill in college was his offensive rebounding. He was truly elite at that. Pulling him away from the basket was generally not a winning proposition for us. It obviously worked! Granted, that doesn't mean it was optimal.

Love that he's performing well.

GM's generally make the final decision and they love upside more often than not over 4 year guys. The coaches would rather have the polished , college seasoned players because they are worried about getting fired before said upside is ever realized by the high ceiling player.

I was happy to see Roy at the combine. How many other coaches were there to support their players?

I'm going on pure gut instinct here. I think Roy will ultimately be the guy to get Tony to come back to Carolina.

Regardless of what happens. All the best to Tony

Did anyone else catch how Roy was at Paul Pierces last NBA game a few days after the championship game? He was interviewed by David Aldridge during the game, and he said when he recruited Pierce at Kansas he told he would be at his first NBA game and last, and there he was keeping his promise. People dont get any more loyal then ol Roy.

He never hit one of the 3-point shots in a game...he took several and never hit one. If he would have hit one (just one!) perhaps Roy would have been more receptive to it. As Allen Iverson once said " Practice! We talkin about practice!"

He never hit one of the 3-point shots in a game...he took several and never hit one. If he would have hit one (just one!) perhaps Roy would have been more receptive to it. As Allen Iverson once said " Practice! We talkin about practice!"
Wait, when did he take several 3 pointers? I think I remember one at the end of shot clock or something, or maybe one on a Seondary Break.

Several? I don't even remember him taking one. Lol.

Here are the team stats from his Senior season from Go Heels.Com

SCORING GP FG-FGA FG% 3FG-FGA 3PT% FT-FTA FT% PTS PTS/G

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Justin Jackson...... 40 264-596 .443 105-284 .370 98-131 .748 731 18.3

Joel Berry II....... 38 182-427 .426 88-230 .383 106-137 .774 558 14.7

Kennedy Meeks....... 40 206-371 .555 0-0 .000 89-143 .622 501 12.5

Isaiah Hicks........ 39 174-302 .576 0-0 .000 113-145 .779 461 11.8

Tony Bradley........ 38 102-178 .573 0-0 .000 65-105 .619 269 7.1

Kenny Williams...... 26 58-139 .417 27-80 .338 19-30 .633 162 6.2

Theo Pinson......... 21 43-113 .381 9-38 .237 33-47 .702 128 6.1

Luke Maye........... 35 78-163 .479 16-40 .400 22-38 .579 194 5.5

Nate Britt.......... 40 64-181 .354 26-78 .333 27-37 .730 181 4.5

Brandon Robinson.... 37 22-64 .344 7-30 .233 18-27 .667 69 1.9

Seventh Woods....... 40 17-60 .283 2-11 .182 25-41 .610 61 1.5

Stilman White....... 27 10-20 .500 2-4 .500 16-18 .889 38 1.4

Shea Rush........... 20 4-14 .286 1-3 .333 6-12 .500 15 0.8

Kanler Coker........ 21 2-4 .500 0-0 .000 5-5 1.000 9 0.4

Aaron Rohlman....... 20 0-1 .000 0-0 .000 0-0 .000 0 0.0

Total............... 40 1226-2633 .466 283-798 .355 642-916 .701 3377 84.4

Opponents........... 40 982-2377 .413 319-939 .340 541-746 .725 2824 70.6

I'm wrong on the 3-point shots, but he took several long jumpers and he missed them all. In fact, this makes it even worse because they were shorter shots. He didn't hit any long outside jumpers and that's my point. He took one in the the Dance and Roy pulled him.

I'm wrong on the 3-point shots, but he took several long jumpers and he missed them all. In fact, this makes it even worse because they were shorter shots. He didn't hit any long outside jumpers and that's my point. He took one in the the Dance and Roy pulled him.
That's not true either. He did hit a few during his career, pull-ups inside the circle on the Secondary.

Reactions: dgheel57
Did anyone else catch how Roy was at Paul Pierces last NBA game a few days after the championship game? He was interviewed by David Aldridge during the game, and he said when he recruited Pierce at Kansas he told he would be at his first NBA game and last, and there he was keeping his promise. People dont get any more loyal then ol Roy.
Roy is loyal as an old hound dog. It's an admirable trait and the thing I love best of all his many positive attributes. I truly hope he does coach many more years and wins another title or two.

You're also wrong about that. I'm starting to wonder if we were even watching the same player. The initial fact that you thought Kennedy took several three pointers was mind boggling.

Meeks hit a good bit of mid range jumpers. Hicks showed in the preseason this year he could hit mid range and probably 3s. He was on fire from mid range preseason.

Our system is not really conducive to a stretch from the 5. It is a spot we like to get offensive rebounds from.

By midrange from Hicks I mean 1 step in from the 3 line. Go watch the lnwr scrimmage.

This is what DraftExpress had to say about Kennedy. Overall, their opinion of his NBA chances is not positive.

Meeks had a monster stat-line in a winning effort, scoring at will around the basket on the likes of Eric Mika, Yurtseven and Cam Oliver. His combination of strength, footwork, touch and instincts is very difficult for big men like that to contain in this type of setting, and his team did a great job of getting him the ball again and again in post-up, pick and roll and cutting situations, while also finding quite a few touches via the offensive glass. The problem is that Meeks proved to be a huge liability defensively in virtually every minute he played, as opposing teams just put him in pick and rolls repeatedly and were able to carve him up at will. His inability to step outside the paint, change directions of the fly and cover ground is a huge drawback in today's NBA, especially with his infrequently the ball gets thrown into the post offensively. Meeks' average length (7'1) and reach (8'10) for a NBA center, combined with his lack of quickness and explosiveness, will likely make it difficult for him to translate his gaudy production to NBA settings, barring significant improvement defensively. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/article/nba-combine-competitive-action-recap-day-two-5929/ ©DraftExpress

Get him on your team and work his butt off. He has proven to be willing to work as hard as necessary to improve already. This, his bball IQ, and his persistence are also missing from today's NBA, but it sure would be nice to get them back!

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
That's not true either. He did hit a few during his career, pull-ups inside the circle on the Secondary.
Pull-ups in the circle are the same as long jump shots just inside the 3-point line. Look at the distance in that NBA combine video. This is the range that Meeks didn't master in college. I know many want to put the best spend on this, but Roy almost had a heart attack (and most fans also) when Meeks took those long jump shots. He didn't hit any of those during the season. Roy pulled him out of a game in the Dance when if took one of those shots. I love myself some Meeks, but if he was a proven long range shooter his senior year he would probably be projected as a guaranteed second round pick. Lets call a spade a spade folks.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT