ADVERTISEMENT

Are We Done? Who Gets the Minutes?

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
Unless someone leaves*, it looks like were done building our 2022-23 team.

So . . .

Who starts? Presumably the 4 returning starters will step back into their roles. Who fills the vacant spot?

Who gets the minutes? I'm hoping we don't go the iron man route again. Here are the minutes and games numbers from last season. Listed in order of minutes per game, with the freshmen at the bottom in rank order.

PlayerGamesStartedMPG
Caleb Love393834.2
RJ Davis393933.9
Armando Bacot393931.6
Leaky Black383829.8
Puff Johnson24010.4
Justin McKoy3007.0
Dontrez Styles3005.8
D'Marco Dunn2304.1
Seth Trimble
Jalen Washington
Tyler Nickel
Will Shaver

*Edited to remove Kerwin since his entry into the portal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heels5150
I expect Washington to be starting at PF at some point, but won't be surprised if Puff is our 5th starter at first. And it's always possible he holds on to that starting role.

Without Brady, we might need someone else to step up with outside shooting. Puff is a likely candidate up front, but if he isn't on the floor and if Kerwin gets his touch back and works on the rest of his game, he might fit that role - for example when Washington and Bacot are both in but one or both of our starting guards are getting a rest.

I do expect Trimble to be the first guard off the bench - possibly backing up at both guard spots. But there could be opportunity there for Kerwin (or D'Marco), especially if Trimble isn't ready out of the gate.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I have't run the numbers but it's my impression that Puff and Dontrez played more down the stretch, while Kerwin and D'Marco played less. Whatever that might mean.
I have the same impression, and I was a little surprised at some of the MPG numbers probably because of that. Walton's especially being higher than I would have thought and McKoy's being maybe a bit lower.

Puff is going to be the man next season, and I'm hoping that Walton will decide to get his ass in gear.

Guessing that all the guys will get an opportunity early in the season to play. Then come February/ACC Tournament/NCAA Tournament, the rotation will be slimmed down to 8 or 9.

I am thinking RJ-Love-Leaky-Puff-Bacot with Trimble, Washington, Styles, Nickel, Dunn, McKoy, Walton, Shaver off bench (In that order as far as playing time goes). Wouldnt be surprised if Washington starts ahead of Puff as long as he is 100% healthy and getting better each day. I dont think Walton or Shaver will see many minutes, if any on a regular basis. Would like to see Walton improve and earn some minutes though.

I see it as puff. And he doesn't give his spot up. Him and leaky on the floor at the same time brings our pts allowed down by 5-8 a game!
1. Rj/ tremble back up
2. Love/ Dunn- walton
3. Black/ Styles
4. PUFF / Washington
5. Bacot/ Shaver- McCoy

Guessing that all the guys will get an opportunity early in the season to play. Then come February/ACC Tournament/NCAA Tournament, the rotation will be slimmed down to 8 or 9.
That's the Roy approach - which we definitely did not see from Hubert. But does that reflect an actual difference in philosophy on Hubert's part or just the team he had to work with in his first year, plus (probably) a need to win early.

I hope you are right. I'd like to see our frosh get some early burn. Ditto for our rising sophs, too.

I just read an article saying we are not done and top schools "have a way around not having scholarships available"

I see it as puff. And he doesn't give his spot up. Him and leaky on the floor at the same time brings our pts allowed down by 5-8 a game!
1. Rj/ tremble back up
2. Love/ Dunn- walton
3. Black/ Styles
4. PUFF / Washington
5. Bacot/ Shaver- McCoy
1 - RJ/ Trimble
2 - Love/Trimble
3 - Black/Styles/Nickel
4 - Puff/Nickel/Washington
5 - Bacot/Washington/McKoy

RJ/Love/ Trimble
Love/Trimble/ Dunn
Leaky/Puff/Styles/ Walton
Puff/ Washington/Styles
Bacot/ Washington/ Shaver
I still think there is a chance Walton leaves. I don't think we should replace him if it happens. There is enough here to hold that scholly and maintain chemistry.

I expect Washington to be starting at PF at some point, but won't be surprised if Puff is our 5th starter at first. And it's always possible he holds on to that starting role.

Without Brady, we might need someone else to step up with outside shooting. Puff is a likely candidate up front, but if he isn't on the floor and if Kerwin gets his touch back and works on the rest of his game, he might fit that role - for example when Washington and Bacot are both in but one or both of our starting guards are getting a rest.

I do expect Trimble to be the first guard off the bench - possibly backing up at both guard spots. But there could be opportunity there for Kerwin (or D'Marco), especially if Trimble isn't ready out of the gate.
I think you're expecting too much of Washington. He's missed a lot of time dye to injuries, I think being a strong 10-15 minute per game backup would be a pleasant surprise as a freshman. We didn't get that from Styles, Walton, nor Dunn last year. I don't think he'll be better than Puff, who I think will start.

Really interesting to see how the backup guard minutes shake out between Trimble, Walton, Dunn. I suspect not all three can continue in the rotation once we get into ACC play (maybe not even two of them depending on performance) so definitely a competition.

Seems like the roster is set, but would love to add one more if we found a way.as is I'd expect:

1: Davis 30 min, Love 10 min
2: Love 20 min, Trimble 12 min, Dunn 8 min
3: Leaky 30 min, Puff 10 min
4: Puff 20 min, Styles 20 min
5: Bacot 30 min, Washington 10 min

Walton, Nickel, Shaver, and McCoy don't get minutes in this model. Obviously they will get some, but 9 is a pretty deep rotation for competitive games. We may not even play that many guys.

Trimble, if he's as good as some say, may be sharing minutes with Love and RJ as much as just back-up minutes.

In some ways, I think RJ has become or is becoming the team leader, kind of like Joel Berry. If Trimble is as a good as advertised, may be better than RJ but RJ will still start with Trimble being the back-up pg.

But he may well get a lot of Love's minutes as well.

20 minutes a game late in the season, backing up RJ and Love?

Trimble, if he's as good as some say, may be sharing minutes with Love and RJ as much as just back-up minutes.

In some ways, I think RJ has become or is becoming the team leader, kind of like Joel Berry. If Trimble is as a good as advertised, may be better than RJ but RJ will still start with Trimble being the back-up pg.

But he may well get a lot of Love's minutes as well.

20 minutes a game late in the season, backing up RJ and Love?
If he’s better than RJ, then the heels will stomp their way to the ff. Big if

I expect Hubs to play everyone who earns it in practice and game situations! If that is 8 or 10, so be it! I see no logical reason not to play all who can be effective! Hubs already showed a propensity to think like an NBA coach. He plays those who help him win; plays the D his team can execute; feeds the hot hand; and subs based on situations and matchups! Next year's team starts with enough peeps who are familiar with our new system, that I fully expect to see a starting 5 of all veterans at some point! (Puff as 4). BUT, the lineup by ACC time will be those who have proven themselves, especially on D! Washington will most likely be a starter at some point. The only ones I think are real question marks are: Dunn, Walton, Shaver, and Nickel!-That means at least 9 will get significant minutes IMO!

I expect Hubs to play everyone who earns it in practice and game situations! If that is 8 or 10, so be it! I see no logical reason not to play all who can be effective! Hubs already showed a propensity to think like an NBA coach. He plays those who help him win; plays the D his team can execute; feeds the hot hand; and subs based on situations and matchups! Next year's team starts with enough peeps who are familiar with our new system, that I fully expect to see a starting 5 of all veterans at some point! (Puff as 4). BUT, the lineup by ACC time will be those who have proven themselves, especially on D! Washington will most likely be a starter at some point. The only ones I think are real question marks are: Dunn, Walton, Shaver, and Nickel!-That means at least 9 will get significant minutes IMO!
I don’t think Walton will play except in blowouts.

Walton might not get much time, but if he does, it means he has improved his D and our team will benefit from his +shooting! If he doesn't figure out how to use anticipation and knowledge of the scheme to offset his heavy feet, then he will be tied to the bench!

Well I would hope RJ would be the better PG considering he will be a Jr and is coming off a season that saw us playing in the natty game and he was our starting PG. I think the plan is and should be for him (Trimble) to back up both RJ and Caleb, 1st guard off the bench. RJ sits we could move Love to being the primary ball handler PG and Seth take the Caleb role and it be a direct sub if Caleb sits and RJ is on the court.

Hubert started to rein in some of Caleb's bad shot decisions last season bringing Ant in but then Ant lost his spot with the grades and Dunn was not ready so Hubert was stuck having to watch a lot of missed shots until Love heated up. Trimble will allow Hubert to pull Caleb and get him to refocus on the bench, that should effect his decision making in a good way. I think Seth could be getting near 20mins a game by mid season and lets face it, 30mins a game for both RJ and Love is better for us than 40mins a game is, fresher legs late is important.

Walton might not get much time, but if he does, it means he has improved his D and our team will benefit from his +shooting! If he doesn't figure out how to use anticipation and knowledge of the scheme to offset his heavy feet, then he will be tied to the bench!
Well... he is testing the NBA draft waters (LOL)... Any word yet from Creighton lebo, is he testing the NBA waters to? At this point I am really starting to question this kid's mental state...

Reactions: uncfootball-
Nothing wrong with the feedback he will receive and maybe he will respond better to it from that source. I am less worried about KW than I am about who may be his advisors! He has a unique personality and there is nothing wrong with that either IMO! I want to like the kid, but he is a little closed off and hard to read!

I believe that the issue with Washington as a starter is his health. Just how solid is that knee and can he handle the stresses of playing starter minutes at the college level

Nothing wrong with the feedback he will receive and maybe he will respond better to it from that source. I am less worried about KW than I am about who may be his advisors! He has a unique personality and there is nothing wrong with that either IMO! I want to like the kid, but he is a little closed off and hard to read!

The feedback will be to start planning for a career that doesnt involve playing basketball.

I cringed when only two players entered the game this past season and that was McKoy and Walton. I love them but I new that every time Kerwin came in the game he would throw the ball away to the other team and that usually ended up with the opposing team fast breaking us for a layup. McKoy seemed to think too much. He got to his assignments late and that would cause him to commit silly fouls, turnovers and opposing players to score. Hopefully they will get more comfortable in the off season

I believe that the issue with Washington as a starter is his health. Just how solid is that knee and can he handle the stresses of playing starter minutes at the college level
Even if he's fully recovered, I'm not penciling him in for more than 22-24 mpg.

He's a freshman after, after all. How many freshman bigs in the 4-star range have we had who played more minutes than that? I haven't checked, but I bet it hasn't happened a lot.

Then again, new coach. And this will be the first freshman big Hubert has had as head coach. So maybe that will change. We still have a lot to learn about Hubert as a head coach. Which will be fun (I hope).

If Washington plays 22-24 and Armando plays 30-32, that leaves 24-28 mpg to be filled up front. Add another 10-12 at SF and that's not bad for our bench guys.

Well I would hope RJ would be the better PG considering he will be a Jr and is coming off a season that saw us playing in the natty game and he was our starting PG. I think the plan is and should be for him (Trimble) to back up both RJ and Caleb, 1st guard off the bench. RJ sits we could move Love to being the primary ball handler PG and Seth take the Caleb role and it be a direct sub if Caleb sits and RJ is on the court.

Hubert started to rein in some of Caleb's bad shot decisions last season bringing Ant in but then Ant lost his spot with the grades and Dunn was not ready so Hubert was stuck having to watch a lot of missed shots until Love heated up. Trimble will allow Hubert to pull Caleb and get him to refocus on the bench, that should effect his decision making in a good way. I think Seth could be getting near 20mins a game by mid season and lets face it, 30mins a game for both RJ and Love is better for us than 40mins a game is, fresher legs late is important.
I hope we don't have Love at pg when Trimble is in for RJ.

I like it. Not sure about nickel. Not sure he has played against this level of athleticism.
I’m way out on a limb here I know, but if people only looked at Larry Birds athleticism he would have never played the game. Nichols is a shooter and a scorer and he will do well at this level. When is the last time we had a “Tyler” go wrong 😉

RJ/Love/ Trimble
Love/Trimble/ Dunn
Leaky/Puff/Styles/ Walton
Puff/ Washington/Styles
Bacot/ Washington/ Shaver
I still think there is a chance Walton leaves. I don't think we should replace him if it happens. There is enough here to hold that scholly and maintain chemistry.
If Walton does leave and someone like the young man out of S Dakota St (Baylor S.) wants to be a Heel, you don't pass that up. He can shoot the lights out of the bldg.

As long as we're playing the "if someone leaves, who should we consider?" game, how about Johni Broome from Moorehead State?

I find myself wondering what we're going to do for a true center after Armando leaves. A lot of people here are talking about Shaver as an outside threat, not so much as a post player. Plus, he's a project, so we don't yet know if he will be good enough to start.

Washington can play the post, but he's much better suited at PF, imo.

Johni Broome is 6'10 235. He scored 16.8 pts, grabbed 10.6 rebs and made 3.9 blocks while averaging 28.3 mpg as a soph.

Meaning he has 3 years of eligibility and is already good - albeit against lesser competition.

Bring him in now to play behind Armando for a year. Then the following year we have Washington and Broome, along with GG.

As long as we're playing the "if someone leaves, who should we consider?" game, how about Johni Broome from Moorehead State?

I find myself wondering what we're going to do for a true center after Armando leaves. A lot of people here are talking about Shaver as an outside threat, not so much as a post player. Plus, he's a project, so we don't yet know if he will be good enough to start.

Johni Broome is 6'10 235. He scored 16.8 pts, grabbed 10.6 rebs and made 3.9 blocks while averaging 28.3 mpg as a soph.

Meaning he has 3 years of eligibility and is already good - albeit against lesser competition.

Bring him in now to play behind Armando for a year. Then the following year we have Washington and Broome, along with GG.

I really like KJ Williams.

If Bacot leaves after next season I am pretty comfortable with a starting front line of Washington and GG, couple of 6'9-10" guys with well over 7ft reach, Washington has a 7'3-4" reach, that is John Henson like reach. We should know by end of next season what we have with Shaver, if he is a guy we can count on to relieve GG or Washington, if he isn't go to the portal, if he is don't really need the portal. There will be big time talented big men then as well, just as there are now.

I really like KJ Williams.
No doubt. And he is also a 3pt threat. Not Manek-like, but not bad.

Unfortunately, he only has 1 year left. Would he be willing to spend his only remaining year as a backup?

Whereas Broome has 3 years left. And while he rarely shoots from deep (and sucks when he does) he does have a good mid-range jumper. I'm just speculating that he'd be willing to back up this season with his eye on a starting spot (or starting minutes, at least) the following 2 years. Pencil him in the frontline rotation that also includes Washington and GG.

Interesting that Broome and Williams are both from the same conference, so the stats are based on basically the same competition. Broome is the better rebounder and shot blocker, while Williams is the better scorer. But the differences aren't that big.

If we really had a chance at either of these guys, it would be fun to watch a video of games they played against each other.

Unfortunately, he only has 1 year left. Would he be willing to spend his only remaining year as a backup?

Whereas Broome has 3 years left. And while he rarely shoots from deep (and sucks when he does) he does have a good mid-range jumper. I'm just speculating that he'd be willing to back up this season with his eye on a starting spot (or starting minutes, at least) the following 2 years. Pencil him in the frontline rotation that also includes Washington and GG.

Interesting that Broome and Williams are both from the same conference, so the stats are based on basically the same competition. Broome is the better rebounder and shot blocker, while Williams is the better scorer. But the differences aren't that big.

If we really had a chance at either of these guys, it would be fun to watch a video of games they played against each other.
I have not seen Broome play, but did see Williams a couple times in the regular season and all of their NCAA tournament games. Murray State was legit, won 30 games and made a nice run in the NCAA's, but got hit with terrible luck injuries or they may have went even farther.

Williams was impressive, a legit polished scorer. Solid enough stretch 4 ability, but nothing spectacular in that area, he does have a strong mid range, of the dribble ability, post fad away, finish at the basket, full bag of tricks A 6'10.

The thing with Brome is that he wouldn't start over Jalen and GG next year either. He is definitely not biting on a 2 year backup role at NC. I still contend we don't have any need this year or next year unless something really unexpected happens.

I would bet you that Tremble and Washington get 20 min a game each next year by conference time . Tremble behind both guard spots and Washington behind the 4 and the 5 . Washington could start against certain teams depending on matchups but Puff will have the most experience . That is if of course if Washington progresses in his rehab to the extent he's practicing with the team from day one . I will also say that personally I think that Walton , McCoy and Dunn will see very little of the court again come conference time . I may need to temper my expectations just a little but I think it's possible that in a lot of games we could possibly have a blue team next year capable of hanging with a lot of the teams in the conference . Thus the Hubert NBA approach to subbing . It'll be interesting and fun to watch . 😎 🥁✌️

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT