ADVERTISEMENT

Playing Time vs Last Year

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
I was really hoping our Iron Men would get a break compared with last year. But has that happened?

Bottom line seems to be that while D'Marco and Puff have seen their minutes increase - which is great - none of our returning starters seem to have benefited (yet).

Obviously there are variables that mere averages can't show. Like the 4 OT game. Or Amando's 1 minute game. But in general, our Iron Men are still being asked to be Iron Men.

PlayerMPG last seasonMPG this seasonDifference
Caleb 34.236.0 +1.8
RJ33.934.8+0.9
Armando31.631.60.0
Leaky29.730.6+0.9
Brady/Pete30.429.8-0.6
Puff10.415.5+5.1
Dontrez5.85.5-0.3
D'Marco4.113.3+9.2

The key to our success will be if our bench players can contribute points on a more consistent basis.
Several guys have had their moments/games with a scoring flurry, but haven’t proven their
consistency or dependability on both ends of the floor. Only playing time will solve this, and that’s the
conundrum. We need victories; experimenting with lineups doesn’t mesh well with that plan.

Are they not good enough to get minutes or is Hubert and staff not developing anyone?
Good questions. I'm no guru but my sense is that Hubert wanted to develop Seth, and that was coming along well for a while, but his confidence took a big hit against UVa and he's still reeling.

It's also pretty clear that Hubert wants to bring Washington along, but doesn't want to push too hard. And as long as Pete stays healthy, that's a good plan.

Puff has not lived up to expectations. Again. He's plenty energetic and is getting more minutes, but it's starting to look like he may need another year to "get there." Fortunately we still have Leaky.

I don't know what's up with Styles. It almost seems like Hubert decided he needed to focus on Puff or Styles, and Puff won the toss. And even though Puff isn't doing great, he's doing OK, so I expect him to still get most of the minutes that Leaky leaves.

Dunn been the pleasantest surprise so far. When D'Marco was injured and Sett was doing well, it looked like it might be hard for D'Marco to get many minutes. But then Seth flagged and D'Marco made the most of his minutes. At the moment, he's the brightest light on the bench. Along with Washington, but Dunn is further along.

The losers are Nickel, Styles and McKoy - with Nickel and Styles competing for the very few scraps that Leaky and Puff let fall off the table.

I wish some of our starters would contribute points on a more consistent basis.
Just one. Love obviously. And I guess Nance, too, now that I think about it. Hard to see him getting to where he contributes what Brady Manek did last year

I think he believes the strongest lineup is his starting 5, barring injury or foul issues they are going to be on the court big minutes. He wants them on the court. His mantra of bench be ready when needed is his belief on how playing time is given.

I think he trusts Dunn and Seth as guards off the bench. Depending on the given matchup of the opponent one or the other will get the bulk of the 10 to 15 combined minutes, as they have different strengths, the other gets only a couple spot minutes according to the best matchup per opponent.

Puff and Washington have earned the front court bench time. I think 10 to 15 minutes combined between them is his want, which one also depending on the need of the matchup as to which one in any given game is relegated to spot minutes of those 10 to 15 minutes or so.

Just one. Love obviously. And I guess Nance, too, now that I think about it. Hard to see him getting to where he contributes what Brady Manek did last year
I think Love's overall play is what you mean, and/or more efficient scoring? Maybe I'm wrong, don't want to speak for you, but looking for starters to contribute points as jaywint asked for, Caleb is up top in scoring along with Mando and RJ.

Last edited:
The starters points are 17.8, 16.8, 16.3, 10.3, and 7.1. They account for 68 of the 80 points per game.

Last year they were 16.3, 15.9, 15.1, 13.5, and 4.9. Accounting for 66 of the 78 points per game.
Those are averages. Averages don't speak to consistency.

I wish some of our starters would contribute points on a more consistent basis.
That's another interesting question.

PlayerPPGLowHigh
Armando17.811*28
RJ16.8627
Caleb16.3734
Pete10.33*28
Leaky7.2018

At a glance, Armando and RJ are somewhat more consistent than our other starters, but the difference isn't dramatic.

I'm too lazy and statistically bereft to crunch the numbers for standard deviation. Maybe someone else can do that.

*not counting games when Armando and Pete were out in the first couple of minutes.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT