ADVERTISEMENT

Arkansas Coach

I will tell you right now that dude is a great coach and he pushed and pressed his team above and beyond . He didn't have all the talent UNC had but got the best out of his team .. hands down.
Awesome effort from the Hogs !! Great Game ! Survive and advance.
I knew there were a few good ones over here. I agree. This was Anderson's best coaching job, by far. He had 7 newcomers this year and it took some time for us to get all on the same page and play with max effort every second of the game, but we really turned it on over the last few weeks.

I just wish the controversy could have been avoided down the stretch so no one could have an issue with the result, no matter the outcome.

Reactions: viking131
We took a ton of bad shots and couldn't throw it in the ocean. And Arkansas hacked us all night long. They play an ugly style of ball. Neither Roy nor the team a very good game, but to advance far in the NCAAT you normally have to win a couple of fugly games. That was one.

Hog fans were calling for his head halfway thru the season....different sentiment today!!

Yeah, I'm not sold on Anderson being a great coach. Good, yes. But great? He's going to have to produce much more than he has to date for me to say that.

Reactions: GACMAN
Our lack of concentration going into the half and midway through the second is what made him look better than he is,the end of game showed who really wanted it more period.

Reactions: Archer2
Yeah, I'm not sold on Anderson being a great coach. Good, yes. But great? He's going to have to produce much more than he has to date for me to say that.
The one thing that he has finally done with recruiting is to keep the best players in the state.....2017 and 2018 he has the top 6 players staying home....that has been a huge criticism by the fans!!

We took a ton of bad shots and couldn't throw it in the ocean. And Arkansas hacked us all night long. They play an ugly style of ball. Neither Roy nor the team a very good game, but to advance far in the NCAAT you normally have to win a couple of fugly games. That was one.
Describe the term "ugly style of basketball". Any style of basketball that helps you win is pretty to me. Just saying...

Describe the term "ugly style of basketball". Any style of basketball that helps you win is pretty to me. Just saying...
I think any style that is overly physical is ugly. It makes a beautiful game a slog by sending players to the FT line so often that it interrupts the flow of the game. This overt use of physicality by teams like SC and Arkansas has been adopted in order to compensate for UK's ridiculous advantage in talent, IMO. But it's ugly ball, effective yes, but ugly.

I think any style that is overly physical is ugly. It makes a beautiful game a slog by sending players to the FT line so often that it interrupts the flow of the game. This overt use of physicality by teams like SC and Arkansas has been adopted in order to compensate for UK's ridiculous advantage in talent, IMO. But it's ugly ball, effective yes, but ugly.
I have watched them all year and been to numerous games.....they have always played very aggressive and I do agree that it can get real ugly but that is not the norm with this team. They do play that way against a bigger more athletic team because they wont beat them any other way! Very few games this year has Arkansas been out athleticed( is that a word?) They simply did what they had to do to compete....you either do that or accept losing! I commend them for making a game out of it!!!

he is a VERY good coach.... Arkansas is lucky to have him
He is a good actor too
Morgan-Fights-a-Wolf-in-The-Walking-Dead-Season-6-Episode-2.jpg
search

Reactions: snoopy2000
I think he will get better each season. He's a former longtime assistant of Nolan Richardson who was an awesome coach. My cousin played 2 years for Nolan at Arkansas in the early 90's when Anderson was the assistant. He called me right after the game (actually he called with about 5 minutes left.. he thought his hogs had it in the bag but I don't answer phone calls or text when the heels are playing).. but he said that early in the season Anderson was trying to implement that 40 minutes of hell defense/offense that Nolan Richardson ran so successfully in the 90's but my cousin explained that he didn't have the depth to do it and they struggled early in the season. He then got away from that and had them play to there strengths. I think he's found a good formula just needs to continue to bring in talent.

I will tell you right now that dude is a great coach and he pushed and pressed his team above and beyond . He didn't have all the talent UNC had but got the best out of his team .. hands down.
Awesome effort from the Hogs !! Great Game ! Survive and advance.
Anderson's a good coach. That being said, he comes from the Nolan Richardson tree of helter skelter mayhem as frankly a short-cut. When things got tight their buttholes got a little tight as well. I see folks dogging Roy for time-outs, but our guys are coached to be prepared for end-game situations. Anderson had exhausted his time-outs and it was painfully clear that Arky's kids in contrast, were a bit lost in crunch-time.

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
Anderson's a good coach. That being said, he comes from the Nolan Richardson tree of helter skelter mayhem as frankly a short-cut. When things got tight their buttholes got a little tight as well. I see folks dogging Roy for time-outs, but our guys are coached to be prepared for end-game situations.

And the leader of men was left screaming at the refs when he ran out of time outs, and the opportunity to do some real coaching.

Reactions: gary-7
And the leader of men was left screaming at the refs when he ran out of time outs, and the opportunity to do some real coaching.

The LOM's chance to do some real coaching past him by very early in the year when (1) he never really scheduled any true tough road games in the preseason (nothing new there), (2) he never gave that Jackson dude the chance to develop as a point guard (which I think he could have been very good at) .. and he never even considered developing some incredible burger boy talent that he left molding on the bench all year. Some of the "poasters" here want to post crap about Roy and his time outs and substitution patterns but if you want to see what an epic f'in fail looks like, by what is supposed to "one of the greatest coaches in college basketball", then look no further than this ..and maybe the last 3 or 4 yrs of the derm Dbags .. they / LOM have set the bar somewhere near the ceiling/roof for under achieving. jmho ..

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
The LOM's chance to do some real coaching past him by very early in the year when (1) he never really scheduled any true tough road games in the preseason (nothing new there), (2) he never gave that Jackson dude the chance to develop as a point guard (which I think he could have been very good at) .. and he never even considered developing some incredible burger boy talent that he left molding on the bench all year. Some of the "poasters" here want to post crap about Roy and his time outs and substitution patterns but if you want to see what an epic f'in fail looks like, by what is supposed to "one of the greatest coaches in college basketball", then look no further than this ..and maybe the last 3 or 4 yrs of the derm Dbags .. they / LOM have set the bar somewhere near the ceiling/roof for under achieving. jmho ..
For all his objectionable qualities, K is a good basketball coach. He knows his Xs-and-Os and is a solid teacher. Still he has incessantly taken shortcuts to win at all costs. And here's the part that is confounding to anyone defending him: It has so obviously caught up with him in how he handles his personnel.

As we know, his last-hurrah shortcut has been in recruiting OADs via USA Basketball and hiring that slimey Capel. OK, so you get this wealth of HS talent and let them go underdeveloped? And here's the rub --- his system has been dumbed-down over the years. In other words he can't blame a "learning curve". His system has devolved into a constant shortcut of dribble-drive/kick-out garnished with their normal ref-baiting, head-whipping, leg-kicking flop-o-rama.

In other words, unlike say, Roy, who runs and teaches a complex actual system and yet still somehow always seems to be able to go 10-deep, the Rat only trusts his chosen few to perpetrate his failry simple formula of dookie evil. God forbid they actually get called for their shenanigans and have their favored bitch-boys sent to the bench. You'd think there were nothing but walk-ons remaining rather than 5*s gathering splinters.

Instead of basing your success on butt-f***ing the rule book and rewarding your favorite "assholes" (as he himself affectionately calls his dirtiest players), how about developing talent?

OK, so you get this wealth of HS talent and let them go underdeveloped? And here's the rub --- his system has been dumbed-down over the years. In other words he can't blame a "learning curve". His system has devolved into a constant shortcut of dribble-drive/kick-out garnished with their normal ref-baiting, head-whipping, leg-kicking flop-o-rama..

And his post game drama included these comments, "We need depth", "We need to be as physical as teams like South Carolina".

:rolleyes:

As La
And his post game drama included these comments, "We need depth", "We need to be as physical as teams like South Carolina".

:rolleyes:

As Larry the Cable guy would say .. "That's funny right there, don't care who ya are". Guess LOM wants 15 5*'s so he can play eight .. maybe.

Reactions: Archer2
And his post game drama included these comments,"We need to be as physical as teams like South Carolina".
what he means is "we finally had a game where the refs didn't call our opponents for touch fouls while letting us hack and shove as much as we wanted."

Back on to Anderson...
I respect how he coached his guys against the Heels... giving up size , talent and depth his kids pushed their bodies to the limit and the helter-skelter defense caused a ton of turnovers.
Yes, there was a lot of uncalled "stuff" but none of it seemed dirty, just aggressive.
My take: I'd love for him to build up that program to knock off the SEC's d-league team.

Reactions: GACMAN
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT