ADVERTISEMENT

Assuming Mack Will Be Retained

One could argue there aren't many really good teams. Outside of the top 10 everyone has some head scratching losses - even inside the top 10. It's about your schedule and simply beating the teams you should beat. The only real exceptions are games between a handful of SEC teams and games between a few B1G teams. Our lack of physicality would put us at a disadvantage against the top teams (SEC/B1G) but we could lose in a shootout to most others. How many games on our schedule this season looked like a definite loss - maybe ND? If we had simply won the games we should have VT, GT, FSU and pulled out a win or two from ND, Pitt, MooU (all games we had a chance to win and honestly should have won Pitt and MooU) then we're 11-1 and we're a top 10 team. Not saying this to show how close we are to being really good because there's a reason we lost those game - and it's not just because we need a lot more talent (atleast not more talent in the players).

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
Longo is the Doren of offensive coordinators. Beats shitty teams, beats average teams at home and never beats great teams.

Unfortunately seems to be the case at this point. I'm hoping that if we retain him and somehow get the OL working that our red-zone and short yardage issues work themselves out. But he does have that rep for a reason. So, I'm definitely not holding my breath.

Reactions: tarheel0910
One could argue there aren't many really good teams. Outside of the top 10 everyone has some head scratching losses - even inside the top 10. It's about your schedule and simply beating the teams you should beat. The only real exceptions are games between a handful of SEC teams and games between a few B1G teams. Our lack of physicality would put us at a disadvantage against the top teams (SEC/B1G) but we could lose in a shootout to most others. How many games on our schedule this season looked like a definite loss - maybe ND? If we had simply won the games we should have VT, GT, FSU and pulled out a win or two from ND, Pitt, MooU (all games we had a chance to win and honestly should have won Pitt and MooU) then we're 11-1 and we're a top 10 team. Not saying this to show how close we are to being really good because there's a reason we lost those game - and it's not just because we need a lot more talent (atleast not more talent in the players).

The extra covid year, combined with the portal, is really benefiting a lot of teams like Wake. We're a bit more reliant on recruiting given that Fedora left some position groups (like the DL) in shambles, Mack's first good class are only sophomores, and we haven't hit the portal very hard. Between that and some of the big programs having off years - there is more parity.

This is pretty spot on about winning the games you should. There's no reason we shouldn't at least win our division every year. UNC has what it needs to be successful off the field, but for whatever reason we can't figure out how to do it on the field.

Really I just want to see a change at OL and Mack needs to put and emphasis on doing the little things better. We have witnessed how good we can be when everyone does their job, now with this younger talent getting older and more experienced we can be a really good team if we just fix the little things

I would like to see a new DL coach myself. Our lineman never makes a double move or even counter move, it blows my mind.

Really I just want to see a change at OL and Mack needs to put and emphasis on doing the little things better. We have witnessed how good we can be when everyone does their job, now with this younger talent getting older and more experienced we can be a really good team if we just fix the little things
I think it goes beyond 'doing little things better'. We get stuffed so frequently in short yardage and RedZone (or other big moments) offensively despite such great arm talent while giving up tons of yards and first downs on the other side.

Take away Sam, insert Nathan Elliot and this team is winless other than a nail biter with Wofford.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT