ADVERTISEMENT

Assuming Mack Will Be Retained

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
which 5 assistants would you fire first?

Stacy Searels: He is a poor OL coach and always has been. He picks favorites and never weavers from them, no matter how poor the OL production.

Jovan Dewitt: Has shown nothing as ST coordinator and nothing as OLB coach.

Dre Bly: No coaching experience and so in well over his head. He can recruit because he played in the NFL and is personable, but he cannot coach the position. We have the most talent in the D secondary we've ever had, and it plays erratically every game.

Larry Porter: Over the hill, formerly average RB coach who for years has lived on reputation of being great RB recruiter because he was at LSU when it had a string of super RBs. All RB coaches at LSU have top RBs.

Tommy Thigpen: Never a great position coach who now may be a below average position coach. No longer seems to be a major recruiter either.

firing 2nd tier assistants first is a half ass, let’s meet in the middle move after a bullshit season where we should have done much better considering how “down” the acc is. you have got fire D coordinator, and special teams coach. those should be a given. we were pretty bad in both areas from start to finish. once you do that, you let the new hires evaluate what we have and keep or bring in their guys as they see fit. the one asst on the offensive side that would
be fired without discussion is Searles. it’s a miracle Howell didn’t get hurt this year as many times as he was hit and pressured bc of our inept OL play.

firing 2nd tier assistants first is a half ass, let’s meet in the middle move after a bullshit season where we should have done much better considering how “down” the acc is. you have got fire D coordinator, and special teams coach. those should be a given. we were pretty bad in both areas from start to finish. once you do that, you let the new hires evaluate what we have and keep or bring in their guys as they see fit. the one asst on the offensive side that would
be fired without discussion is Searles. it’s a miracle Howell didn’t get hurt this year as many times as he was hit and pressured bc of our inept OL play.
None of this is happening with Brown. You think he's going to make major staff changes at this point? They are extensions of himself. He's not changing coordinators.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
I like Mack. Everybody likes Mack. Mack recruits well. But in year three, UNC should be better than mediocre. This isn't on any assistants, it's on Mack. This kind of stuff is what got him run out of Austin. And truth be told, if UNC were as serious about football as they should be, a change would be made this year. I don't see Mack making any changes for next year that would impact anything at all. And at his age, and maybe being on the hot seat, what quality assistant is going to jump on that train. But it is getting very old seeing UNC screw up time after time, then the camera cut to Mack as he stands there with his ever present supportive clap. Mack's time has passed. Time to break out the check book and get serious about winning

The problem with scrapping everything this year is that our options would be really limited and there are a number of big openings. I think they part ways with Searels and retain everyone else.

The safety miscue on the long pass and subsequent quick score, is inexcusable. That quick score gave them a chance. I’ve always viewed Coach Brown’s strengths to be his personality and recruiting. I think a few changes will be made after a mediocre season. Probably one on defense and one on offense.

The problem with scrapping everything this year is that our options would be really limited and there are a number of big openings. I think they part ways with Searels and retain everyone else.
Our line is so bad, it's hard for me to judge how good our secondary is. They can't be expected to cover a guy for 10 seconds with the QB having a clean pocket. They might be horrible, but I just can't tell. Searles is a must fire and based on how we get pushed around, I think our S&C should go too. Would like to see Longo gone, especially with a new QB starting, but I know Mack won't do that. If Mack doesn't do anything, then he isn't serious about winning.

UNC probably had more mental lapses in the last 4 minutes than a Georgia or Ohio State will make all year. Starting with the made field goal UNC made a major mistake on maybe 7 or 8 of the next 10 plays. I love Mack and what he has done for UNC football but he should make a LOT of changes.

That time has long passed. When were they ever serious about winning? Maybe they can't get a really good coach to come to Chapel Hill.
I would assume they could. Lesser universities have managed. I know for years, decades, that football has always played second fiddle to basketball at UNC. And rightly so as basketball was the elite sport that represented the schools sports identity. But it appears that we may now be entering the 4th consecutive year where basketball is mediocre. UNC has money, and has everything they need to compete with anyone in football. We took a walk down memory lane with Mack. In a lot of ways it worked. But on the field it really hasn't. Time for Bubba to do whatever needs to be done to fix it.

Stacy Searels: He is a poor OL coach and always has been. He picks favorites and never weavers from them, no matter how poor the OL production.

Dre Bly: No coaching experience and so in well over his head. He can recruit because he played in the NFL and is personable, but he cannot coach the position. We have the most talent in the D secondary we've ever had, and it plays erratically every game.

Larry Porter: Over the hill, formerly average RB coach who for years has lived on reputation of being great RB recruiter because he was at LSU when it had a string of super RBs. All RB coaches at LSU have top RBs.

Tommy Thigpen: Never a great position coach who now may be a below average position coach. No longer seems to be a major recruiter either.
First you need an Athletic Director that a) knows what he is doing and b) has a pair.
But we are talking about the same person that "hired" a basketball coach with zero head coaching experience to coach one of the top programs in the USA.

Reactions: strummingram
Our line is so bad, it's hard for me to judge how good our secondary is. They can't be expected to cover a guy for 10 seconds with the QB having a clean pocket. They might be horrible, but I just can't tell. Searles is a must fire and based on how we get pushed around, I think our S&C should go too. Would like to see Longo gone, especially with a new QB starting, but I know Mack won't do that. If Mack doesn't do anything, then he isn't serious about winning.

You're right about the line. Everything starts up front. It's at least promising we had five or six sacks last night. Murphy is a handful. Evans is going to be good. Gray is making plays. We just need to get to the point where the entire two deep is full of those guys. I appreciate Vohasek, Gimmel, Morrison, etc but the younger guys are just on a different level athletically. And, yeah, Searels should've been let go yesterday.

Searles, Bateman and Dewitt and Mack needs to turn over game/clock management to the OC/DC/STCs.

Porter the RB coach?
What about the British Brooks and all the other rb performances makes him a target.

Our OL is not good at pass pro, but we're cranking out some good ground games lately. The RBs don't seem to be the prob, unless you hate their pass blocking.

And we're landing good recruits....

Last edited:
RB coach, TE coach - those are recruiters in most programs. Tim Brewster is a good example. You need at least a couple of those guys.

OL is probably the second most important position group on the team. Having someone there as an OL coach that knows what they're doing is an absolute must.

Maybe a good, or great OL would make Longo’s scheme work more consistently and solve the red zone problems. If Searles isn’t gone next year then I think Mack puts a lot of pressure on himself because retaining a terrible OL coach becomes a decision he has to defend and take responsibility for.

Maybe a good, or great OL would make Longo’s scheme work more consistently and solve the red zone problems. If Searles isn’t gone next year then I think Mack puts a lot of pressure on himself because retaining a terrible OL coach becomes a decision he has to defend and take responsibility for.

His ineptitude as an OL coach has absolutely killed our momentum. Our OL lacks basic fundamentals - they give up the 'A' gap, miss assignments, don't finish plays, etc. It's been every game. All season. When you don't have an OL, you get FGs instead of TDs, give up field position, etc. You can point to key posessions in a lot of games where a mediocre OL gets us a win. Even last night, after disastrous mistakes in special teams, if we had any confidence in the OL to just punch it in from inside the five, or convert 3rd and short, it's likely gameover.

I'm not a Longo fan by any means. There's definitely room for improvement on his part. But he has taken a lot of heat this year when he doesn't really have an OL to work with thanks to an OL coach he didn't hire.

Reactions: riverswe
I'm not a Longo fan by any means. There's definitely room for improvement on his part. But he has taken a lot of heat this year when he doesn't really have an OL to work with thanks to an OL coach he didn't hire.
100%. And he's doing something to make all RBs look good even vs good defenses... So it's more than just Sam (or Javonte/Carter) making longo look good. Could be worse.

(Or rb coach is a god).

just think about the impact of having a poor O line has on play calling. at times we can open the book but often we have to call plays that can be executed in just over a second. how many times lately have we failed on 3rd or 4th and short trying to run the ball. we tend to rack up rushing yards on multiple explosives but on the majority of rushes we get few if any yards

Unless the new OL coach is calling the plays, our red zone problems won't go away.

thig, porter, galloway stay…the rest can go.

you might be able to talk me into bly staying, but the breakdowns on the back end are awful.

I posted before, I believe, and check out the loses after the start time of 7:30PM. UNC starts praise at 6 AM. Their bodies are ready to go to bed by 9 PM. Can any body verify this!!! My son, a State grad, was composing a regret e-mail with 3 Minutes to go but was, you know, elated. So I will have to eat crow for another year.

thig, porter, galloway stay…the rest can go.

you might be able to talk me into bly staying, but the breakdowns on the back end are awful.
Not a fan of Thig. Bly has been responsible for almost every big recruit we've gotten, offense or defense. Like others have mentioned, he's only coaching corners not the whole secondary. Let's see what he can do with a decent DL.

Reactions: Archer2
Not sure I follow. ND and NCSU have top-15 defenses and we got plenty of rushing yards.

To be completely honest - State really isn't that good. Lost to Miami. Lost to Wake. Two teams we beat. Didn't really play anyone outside the Atlantic except MSU and lost to them. Their best win was at home against Clemson and they really struggled on offense. So, I wouldn't put much into that defense ranking. Odds are they lose to another middling SEC program in their bowl game.

Reactions: tarheel0910
To be completely honest - State really isn't that good. Lost to Miami. Lost to Wake. Two teams we beat. Didn't really play anyone outside the Atlantic except MSU and lost to them. Their best win was at home against Clemson and they really struggled on offense. So, I wouldn't put much into that defense ranking. Odds are they lose to another middling SEC program in their bowl game.
Longo is the Doren of offensive coordinators. Beats shitty teams, beats average teams at home and never beats great teams.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT