ADVERTISEMENT

Big new offer...

Manek and Bishop would round out our team perfectly.

Love, Walton, McKoy, Bishop, Bacot has a nice ring to it!
Love, Walton, Leaky, Manek, Bacot would also be devastating!
RJ, Love, Walton, Manek, Bacot-rebounding + shooting explosion!
Love, Ant, Walton/Leaky, McKoy, Bacot nice change of pace!
RJ, Love, Leaky, McKoy, Bishop could be an interesting small look!

Add a few pieces and Hubs can create some matchup nightmares, especially if perimeter guys find their shots and peeps like Ant (almost a given), Puff (very likely), Dunn, and/or Styles develop into + contributors!
We start with a pretty good base:
RJ
Love
Leaky
Walton
Ant
Puff
Dunn
Styles
McKoy
Bacot (most likely)
Bishop would not be a good fit starting alongside Bacot. Fortunately we got Manek.

I read Bishops comments on each of his 3 finalist. I will be very surprised if he doesn't pick Kansas. Oblivious to the Bill Self/NCAA investigation and cites him as, "a good man".

Hope I'm wrong, would like to have him here.
Do we really want him here? What is his role, backup 5? I don't see anything more than that, but he probably wants more.

Going forward, players can transfer one time without sitting out a year. If they transfer again, they must sit out.
Looking forward to Walker Kessler using that "One time transfer" to come back to Carolina and play the 5 spot like I am sure Ole Roy had in mind all along.
Kessler could have been Tyler Zeller on steroids.

Looking forward to Walker Kessler using that "One time transfer" to come back to Carolina and play the 5 spot like I am sure Ole Roy had in mind all along.
Kessler could have been Tyler Zeller on steroids.
Move on dude. He quit on us once and slapped our hand away when Hubert extended the olive branch. Let his parents convince him he's the next Dirk Nowitzki we need players who play harder than they sulk.

Reactions: Green C14
Manek has as quick a jump shooting motion as I’ve seen from a big guy. Hard to contest a shooter like that.

My starters at this point?
Love
Walton
Styles
Manek
Bacot

Last edited:
Reactions: OldSchoo01
Move on dude. He quit on us once and slapped our hand away when Hubert extended the olive branch. Let his parents convince him he's the next Dirk Nowitzki we need players who play harder than they sulk.
Sorry if the tongue in cheek wasn't obvious here? this was meant as a joke.
😏

Mabel has as quick a jump shooting motion as I’ve seen from a big guy. Hard to contest a shooter like that.

My starters at this point?
Love
Walton
Styles
Manek
Bacot

Don't you think Leaky will start at least to begin the year? He does a lot well, but will definitely need to improve offensive output and efficiency to keep the spot imho.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Anticipated starters:

Love, Walton, Leaky, Manek, Bacot!

ACC time:

Love, Walton, Leaky/Styles/McKoy, Manek, Bacot

3 is the only question mark to me and it depends on several factors to include: offensive improvement by Leaky; Styles development and adjustment to college; McKoy's fit/development; practice; gameplay; and opponent strengths!

We now have a deep and talented team. I can't wait to see who we add and how Hubs uses this versatile, talented, and deep team!

Looks like we aren't going after Tanner Groves, but I sort of wish we would. He isn't as smooth as Manek and takes most of his shots inside, but he shoots nearly as well from deep. Seems more willing to bang inside. And rebounds well.

Basically, he looks like a perfect backup for Manek at PF and for Bacot at center. Whoever needs a blow or gets in foul trouble, Groves can fill in. Plus he has 2 years of eligibility, so when Bacot and Manek are gone next year, the cupboard isn't empty.

From his point of view, he won't start his first year here, but could next season. And he'll get starter minutes this year, so that should be attractive.

Anticipated starters:

Love, Walton, Leaky, Manek, Bacot!

ACC time:

Love, Walton, Leaky/Styles/McKoy, Manek, Bacot

3 is the only question mark to me and it depends on several factors to include: offensive improvement by Leaky; Styles development and adjustment to college; McKoy's fit/development; practice; gameplay; and opponent strengths!

We now have a deep and talented team. I can't wait to see who we add and how Hubs uses this versatile, talented, and deep team!
If Manek lives up to his billing and some of our back court players not named Kerwin learn how to shoot, we won't care so much about Leaky's shooting, because we will only rarely need him to score. Plus, who knows, maybe Leaky's shot will finally come around. Stranger things have happened.

If Manek lives up to his billing and some of our back court players not named Kerwin learn how to shoot, we won't care so much about Leaky's shooting,
Yah. If Leaky wants to keep is spot, we have to find shooting somewhere. 1, 4, 5...Leaky move to the 4 and find a 3 who can make it? Last year Kerwin was the only guy shooting above average beyond 3. That means for large stretches in the game we had 0 players on the floor shooting above average from beyond the arc. Even if you want to play an inside out game, no way that's working with such poor spacing.

I look forward to seeing how Hubs uses Leaky! I fully expect him to be in the gym putting up shots all summer and working on getting stronger. I hope he works on the mental blocks he has as well because this is what prevents him from taking the next step. Not every player needs to be the Alpha, but they do have to have some dog in them!

Don't you think Leaky will start at least to begin the year? He does a lot well, but will definitely need to improve offensive output and efficiency to keep the spot imho.
I really do not like being so down on a player, fine kid but as a player at this level, I just see him as a liability on the offensive end and frankly, a bit over stated as a defender. When he locks in as a defender he can help us shut down a hot shooter and with his experience he does understand how to defend at this level. But he did not consistently defend last season. What I saw was a lot of first halves where we got torched, not all his fault for sure but he was a part of it. Then we come out second half and start to play some defense and all the sudden Leaky was locking in? You need to lock in for all of your 27mins a game (his minute average last season) and not just half of it, especially if you give us so little as a scorer, ball handler, or facilitator?

Do I think Leaky starts for us as a senior game 1, he would have if Roy were still our coach, I am not betting on it with Hubert. We have so much talent that can play the 3 for us that can not just defend but should give us a lot of scoring punch from the 3 spot. Hubert realizes, we have to score more and specifically, we need to be more efficient in our half court offensive attack and you motor needs to be wide open while you are on that court.

I certainly would bet that Leaky starts to begin the season! It would take some phenomenal play leading up to the season in practice for a youngster to supplant him. A little more concentration on D and focusing on 1-2 positions and focusing on his mid-range game and he becomes the do everything guy every team needs!

A little more concentration on D and focusing on 1-2 positions and focusing on his mid-range game and he becomes the do everything guy every team needs!
Nothing that I’ve seen from Leaky the last three years gives me confidence that we will see this improvement. Frankly, I just haven’t seen nearly as much growth in his game as I’d anticipated. I had hoped that he would develop into a poor man’s Theo Pinson. He hasn’t. IMO, his defense, rebounding, and passing ability are not good enough to offset his inability to score and his passivity on the court. I hope we go with other options and limit Leaky to 5-6 minutes off the bench.

He’s a nice young man, just not UNC starter quality. And that’s okay, most recruits aren’t. I hope he’s studying hard.

Nothing that I’ve seen from Leaky the last three years gives me confidence that we will see this improvement. Frankly, I just haven’t seen nearly as much growth in his game as I’d anticipated. I had hoped that he would develop into a poor man’s Theo Pinson. He hasn’t. IMO, his defense, rebounding, and passing ability are not good enough to offset his inability to score and his passivity on the court. I hope we go with other options and limit Leaky to 5-6 minutes off the bench.

He’s a nice young man, just not UNC starter quality. And that’s okay, most recruits aren’t. I hope he’s studying hard.
Not sure if I could agree anymore with what you said. Leaky getting almost 30 minutes a game is just flat out mind blowing.

One of McKoy, Puff, Harris, or Styles should easily be able to start over Leaky. If not, we are in trouble at the 3 IMO.

Leaky is very similar to the player he was as a sophomore in high school. UNC projected development and a high ceiling type guy if he could reach his potential and unfortunately he just never has. I fully expect to see the same Leaky in year 4 as we did years 1 - 3.

Leaky should give us 8-10 mpg off the bench. Puff needs to steal some of Leaky’s minutes because he needs court time to develop into what he can be. Leaky has had more than enough opportunity and now we need to see others.

Leaky is very similar to the player he was as a sophomore in high school. UNC projected development and a high ceiling type guy if he could reach his potential and unfortunately he just never has. I fully expect to see the same Leaky in year 4 as we did years 1 - 3.

Leaky should give us 8-10 mpg off the bench. Puff needs to steal some of Leaky’s minutes because he needs court time to develop into what he can be. Leaky has had more than enough opportunity and now we need to see others.

I agree! Between McKoy, Puff, Walton, Ant, Dunn, Stylez there’s no way Leaky should play more than 12 to 15 min a game!

Leaky played more last year due to a combination of injuries and Roy’s desperate search for the consistency that experienced players should bring. I thought at the least he would become a lockdown defender. But alas, he was good defensively one game and seemingly disengaged the next.

I don’t think he’s going to dramatically improve in his senior season, but stranger things have happened as someone stated above. I’m sure we’re all hoping for that. I’d love to see him have a great senior year and prove me wrong. If he can be outstanding defensively, he still has a chance to start(and probably will start initially). But if his game doesn’t improve considerably, I think his PT will decrease by 2/3rds.

IMO, every position should be in contention, every year. All else being equal, the nod goes to the more experienced guy. That’s only common sense. The NCAAT demonstrates the value of experience every year. But let’s play our best players, regardless of class. Every team I’ve ever played on was handled that way and it’s fair.

To paraphrase Dean, “On the court the team comes first, off the court the player comes first.”

FTR: I never said anyone on the team should play 30 minutes. I think we have the quality depth such that nobody should have to even play more than 25 per game. (Love + Bacot may reach 25 per) Leaky will most likely start at the beginning of the season unless someone really shows out in pre-season! His PT and everybody else's will be determined by: practice, game performance, defensive effort, chemistry, and team situational needs! I'm willing to bet Hubs will play the ones who play best together and this can often mean a player who is individually "better" might not start! It is all about the team but that does not mean that seniority has no place in the equation! AND starting is not the most important thing any way. I think it is way more important to look at who has the moist minutes and who ENDs the game!

It would take some phenomenal play leading up to the season in practice for a youngster to supplant him.

Leaky will most likely start at the beginning of the season unless someone really shows out in pre-season!
Leaky is not a phenomenal player himself so it won't take that kind of effort to supplant him. We'll only need someone to be better than Leaky.

I think his experience and expected improvement can offset someone simply being better individually. The person in question would have to either be significantly better OR demonstrate he can make the team significantly better to start the season as starter over an upperclassman! Conversely, Hubs and Leaky may discuss this and decide Leaky would help the team more by being the experienced anchor of the second team. In the end, I am certain Hubs will make a decision in the best interest of the team!

I think his experience and expected improvement can offset someone simply being better individually. The person in question would have to either be significantly better OR demonstrate he can make the team significantly better to start the season as starter over an upperclassman! Conversely, Hubs and Leaky may discuss this and decide Leaky would help the team more by being the experienced anchor of the second team. In the end, I am certain Hubs will make a decision in the best interest of the team!
What is realistic for his improvement though? He's a rising senior. I think any expected improvement at this point is based more on hope than reality. Hope he proves us all wrong though.

Leaky hasn't improved since his sophomore year in high school. I say that not as a knock, but truthfully, this kid was a phenom in 9th and 10th grade, and then the other elite players surpassed him in a big way, specifically being able to score the ball from the perimeter and off the dribble, which are the same issues he has now.

Reactions: Kadyn930
So what is wrong with hope?

I guess we will see, but I see not one shred of evidence that the young man will lose his spot. With this in mind, I think optimism is more sensible than pessimism in light of the new day the program as a whole is experiencing! I assume he will improve and I disagree that he is the same player from HS. The changes were smaller than expected but are there. He has not been allowed to focus and he hasn't had a full off season without interruption due to virus or injury.....maybe we see the real him now! I will always err on the side of optimism!

Leaky is not a phenomenal player himself so it won't take that kind of effort to supplant him. We'll only need someone to be better than Leaky.
Suppose it turns out - as many here expect - that we have 4 good scorers on the court most of the time. Say, for example,

Caleb
Kerwin
Brady
Armando

... who would you want out there with them? I think Leaky is probably the best choice. Lots of great UNC teams have succeeded with a weak scorer in the lineup - as long as they are good in other aspects of the game.

Leaky seems good in other aspects of the game...

#1 in steals
#1 in assist-to-TO ratio
#2 in assists
#4 in rebounds (#2 among returning players)

...plus he's generally considered to be an effective and versatile defender.

Not shabby at all.

So what is wrong with hope?

I guess we will see, but I see not one shred of evidence that the young man will lose his spot. With this in mind, I think optimism is more sensible than pessimism in light of the new day the program as a whole is experiencing! I assume he will improve and I disagree that he is the same player from HS. The changes were smaller than expected but are there. He has not been allowed to focus and he hasn't had a full off season without interruption due to virus or injury.....maybe we see the real him now! I will always err on the side of optimism!
fair enough. i'm all for optimism, but that line gets blurred when you've seen a kid play 3 years and not make any jump in improvement in the areas that we all recognize are his weaknesses. sometimes, it's ok for them to be who they are. he's in a long line of perimeter players that we've hoped and been optimistic about making a big jump in year 4 that simply didn't happen.

Reactions: gd15nc
Last year nobody was good enough, big enough and mobile enough to take Leaky's minutes.

Kerwin was good enough (offensively) but gave up 4 inches and, besides, he was doing great at SG, so why mess with success?

Ant was too short and coming off injury.

Puff wasn't ready, and then was injured.

Andrew was too short.

Garrison wasn't quick enough and his outside shot didn't really develop enough.

Kessler?

Some walk-on?

It's easy to see why Leaky started more games than anyone but Bacot (both started 28 games) and played more minutes than anyone but Caleb (who played just 3 more minutes over the entire season).

Yes he hasn't lived up to expectations yet! BUT
1. He hasn't had a complete off season yet (injury + covid)
2. He was asked to prepare for 3-4 positions
3. He had confidence issues related to his shot not falling
4. He never had a consistent lineup to work with to get in a groove

What if:
1. He is asked to prep for 3 positions that are natural to him
2. He has a complete off season and is healthy
3. He gets in a steady rotation that isn't disrupted
4. He gets confidence in his mid-range game

Well there is plenty of reason for optimism!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT