ADVERTISEMENT

Big new offer...

This coming season, there may be a number of kids in a position to challenge Leaky for minutes - and maybe even his starting role. But they'll have to earn it.

It also seems to me that a lot of people are acting like Leaky can't get better.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't he struggling with injuries his first 2 seasons?

And when he finally got healthy and could finally have a productive off season, the off season was essentially cancelled.

If we manage to have a mostly normal off season this year, it will be Leaky's first. Let's see what that does for him.

I see no reason to be pessimistic. And while I'll be rooting for all our returning guys to make big strides, I may be pulling for Leaky most of all.

My prediction: Leaky will improve enough to hold onto his starting role, but other players will also get good enough to take some of his minutes at SF.

Keep in mind that even if he sheds minutes at SF, he may well recover them backing up at PF.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Yes he hasn't lived up to expectations yet! BUT
1. He hasn't had a complete off season yet (injury + covid)
2. He was asked to prepare for 3-4 positions
3. He had confidence issues related to his shot not falling
4. He never had a consistent lineup to work with to get in a groove

What if:
1. He is asked to prep for 3 positions that are natural to him
2. He has a complete off season and is healthy
3. He gets in a steady rotation that isn't disrupted
4. He gets confidence in his mid-range game

Well there is plenty of reason for optimism!
There is no reason for optimism. Every player had an even playing field last year. Covid is no excuse for him. He sprained his ankle three years ago. I think that it’s healed. He’s a bad outside shooter. He should lack confidence shooting

• Sad
Reactions: gd15nc and TPFKAPFS
Last year nobody was good enough, big enough and mobile enough to take Leaky's minutes.

Kerwin was good enough (offensively) but gave up 4 inches and, besides, he was doing great at SG, so why mess with success?

Ant was too short and coming off injury.

Puff wasn't ready, and then was injured.

Andrew was too short.

Garrison wasn't quick enough and his outside shot didn't really develop enough.

Kessler?

Some walk-on?

It's easy to see why Leaky started more games than anyone but Bacot (both started 28 games) and played more minutes than anyone but Caleb (who played just 3 more minutes over the entire season).
We could have used a 3 guard line up and played Ant more! I know he’s been injured but there comes a time when you gotta let him loose..that doesn’t mean he should have been playing 30 min a game but he should have been playing more and Leaky less! Walton could have played the 3 some as well! You can’t have a starter score 0 points every other night! It would be different if he was a freak athlete and total lockdown defender! Leaky is one of the most overrated defensive players we have had..he had his moments that were decent but also had some really bad ones both sides of the ball

This coming season, there may be a number of kids in a position to challenge Leaky for minutes - and maybe even his starting role. But they'll have to earn it.

It also seems to me that a lot of people are acting like Leaky can't get better.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't he struggling with injuries his first 2 seasons?

And when he finally got healthy and could finally have a productive off season, the off season was essentially cancelled.

If we manage to have a mostly normal off season this year, it will be Leaky's first. Let's see what that does for him.

I see no reason to be pessimistic. And while I'll be rooting for all our returning guys to make big strides, I may be pulling for Leaky most of all.

My prediction: Leaky will improve enough to hold onto his starting role, but other players will also get good enough to take some of his minutes at SF.

Keep in mind that even if he sheds minutes at SF, he may well recover them backing up at PF.
Ok, so this is just my opinion and nothing more. I just do not see the ability (talent) for Leaky to improve on the areas he needs to in order for him to play the same role he has played for us the last 3yrs. Let me explain WHY I say that. He has been exclusively used as both a wing (3) and a PG in his 3yrs with us, very little at any other position. Now those 2 positions absolutely require you to be a solid ball handler, at worst average passer, and solid facilitator to be at the point and at very least being enough of a jump shooter that opposing teams do not dare you to shoot wide open jumpers. Theo for example, was not a great ball handler and he certainly was not a great jump shooter but he facilitated a LOT out of the wing position, he tended to ignite our offense at times more than our PGs did, and his motor was non-stop. That has not been the case with Leaky, the attributes I associate with our PGs or our wings, I honestly do not see him as having consistently done and I frankly do not see the growth happening that tells me he is likely to greatly improve in those areas.

What Leaky does bring is first, he is a senior, has played for us for 3 years now, knows Roy's system so his learning curve to Hubert should not be to much. No matter what, we still will not a a big team experience wise. Leaky also can be a lock down defender when he is motivated to do so, I have not seen that motivation consistently in the first half of games nearly as much as the second halves and that to me speaks to motor. 1 other area he is pretty solid at is at the free throw line, hits some big free throws and over all pretty solid at the stripe.

1 area I do think Leaky can improve on is mid range jumpers, he actually can hit those and has the length to be able to get that of over most wing defenders and because when he takes those he is usually closer guarded, he just reacts rather than have the time to think about it. But I just do not see him adding the confidence he has to to develop in to a solid shooter and that definitely is not going to happen in just 1 off season. Last season, seemed like when the ball went to Leaky, he did all he could to get it out of his hands before he had to shoot it, that is not just not enough confidence, it is ZERO confidence and that doesn't often change much.

Reactions: TheGLOV
If we develop scorers then he is a perfect big minute guy. If we do not he is a liability at the three offensively. Again, this is the 4 year type guy so many pine for on here, he ain't a feature, need those types guys to be that as scorers, even if many here don't like those types. That dynamic would make Leaky an incredible mature asset in that role.

Gd writeup WWJD. Your position on topics seem to always come from a gd place and very well thought out. But for me, Leaky has been a disappointment most of his career. I honestly cant tell the diff between Fr Leaky and Jr Leaky! Unless there are major changes in his offensive game there is no way he should play more than 10minutes per game. And, imo, his defensive game is overrated...only because he is 6'8" does he get a pass in that department. 1 inch shorter, Blue Steel all day!
Ok, ok...LB did stay for 4yrs so I'll toss in another 2 1/2 minutes per game- BUT THATS IT👀!!!

Good thing my 2cent doesn't count for anything so leave me alone everybody!

Last edited:
Leaky wasn’t the problem last year! There were too many of them. I think with a good summer of working with alums, everyone returning will be better than this past season. Hopefully we pick up another big and another shooter and then I think we’ll be alright, alright, alright!

Leaky wasn’t the problem last year! There were too many of them. I think with a good summer of working with alums, everyone returning will be better than this past season. Hopefully we pick up another big and another shooter and then I think we’ll be alright, alright, alright!
I agree. I think we couldn’t afford to have Leaky as a non-participant on offense more because of Brooks’ play and lethargy along with the guard play/spacing etc. I would like for Leaky to be more aggressive and take open shots when the flow of the ball dictates it, especially if offensive rebounding remains a strength of the team.

I agree. I think we couldn’t afford to have Leaky as a non-participant on offense more because of Brooks’ play and lethargy along with the guard play/spacing etc. I would like for Leaky to be more aggressive and take open shots when the flow of the ball dictates it, especially if offensive rebounding remains a strength of the team.
defense win. what bout offense - who you like bo

Without going into detail, Leaky is on notice that he will have to earn his minutes going forward. If he indeed does, then good on him. But doing that will start with an attitude adjustment that he hopefully makes.

Without going into detail, Leaky is on notice that he will have to earn his minutes going forward. If he indeed does, then good on him. But doing that will start with an attitude adjustment that he hopefully makes.

I’ve always thought he needed an attitude adjustment..to me I think he pouts and is “too cool” on the court! I hope he improves a lot..especially in the attitude area! I just don’t see it tho! Personally I am ready to see a lot of Puff, McKoy, and Stylez at the 3

I hate the Portal. I hate this change teams every year thought process. It’s going to hurt the game so much. That said, go get them Hubert, we want the best.

What made college basketball so great was it was easy to keep up with. You root for players you thought you knew.

COLLEGE BASKETBALL meet AAU. I would guess by 2022 most top high school players will take a paying option straight out of high school. I will always root for my Heels, but college basketball is shaky to me right now.

What made college basketball so great was it was easy to keep up with. You root for players you thought you knew.

COLLEGE BASKETBALL meet AAU. I would guess by 2022 most top high school players will take a paying option straight out of high school. I will always root for my Heels, but college basketball is shaky to me right now.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Wanna bet?

You say "most". I'll be kind and make that 51%. I'll bet you that at least 49% of the top 25 kids in the class of 2022 do NOT take the pro route.

Just as an FYI - a grand total of 2 of the top 25 kids in the class of 2021 have taken the pro option so far. You suddenly think that balloons to 13 in 2022?

Fair points and I share your concern. Obviously Roy did as well.

Had a conversation during the season watching games as to how as a kid growing up, my friends and I could annually name the starters and key reserves for every ACC team, and you knew the internal matchups. rivalries and feuds amongst players and coaches like you were playing against them yourself.

Today? Check the free agency list it seems.

I love Leaky. But he does not deserve to start for UNC in my opinion. He got beat so many times by players off the dribble. His shots sometimes would miss everything and he was wide open. I hope he does improve his game but I have wanted that for three years now. We need to play our best players and not being led by seniority. This is hard for me to say because I am a true fan of Leaky’s and his Family. They are great ambassadors for our Tar Heel Family. I still can’t believe Kessler left. When it happened I had the same feeling as I did from decades ago about Clifford Rozier.

Is there anyway we can just stop trashing one of our upperclassmen???

Our team as a whole sucked major booty in many ways, but all we seem to be able to talk about is GB and LB!

New day, new regime, new optimism!

Hubs will bring a fresh perspective and one thing he has already hinted at is ALL positions will be competitive next season. This is exciting yet I fully expect certain peeps to step up to the challenge!

Starters: Love, Walton, Leaky, Manek, Bacot! (Book it!)

The best part of this is IF this lineup actually does show up on the floor it will mean:

1. Love improved and understands Hubs O (maybe even found his shot!)
2. Walton is beginning to figure out the D (maybe even some explosiveness)
3. Leaky has found a niche and I assume rediscovered his mid-range game (motor and confidence up)
4. Bacot returned! (beast mode ensues)
5. Manek arrived and showed he belonged! (maybe even learns to play a bit of D)

(Think about the options on the bench if any of the above doesn't happen!!!)

Great time to be a Tar Heel!

I’ve always thought he needed an attitude adjustment..to me I think he pouts and is “too cool” on the court! I hope he improves a lot..especially in the attitude area!
I've never seen an attitude problem with Leaky.

From day one I've said I thought his motor ran a little slow. And that's still what I see, although he's gotten somewhat better. Unfortunately, his motor runs fastest when he's handling the ball. But we don't need or want him to be a primary ball handler.

Can you teach motor? I honestly don't know.

I've never seen an attitude problem with Leaky.

From day one I've said I thought his motor ran a little slow. And that's still what I see, although he's gotten somewhat better. Unfortunately, his motor runs fastest when he's handling the ball. But we don't need or want him to be a primary ball handler.

Can you teach motor? I honestly don't know.
I just feel he kinda lags around and plays “too cool” if ya know what I mean...either way if it’s a motor issue or attitude problem he needs to adjust by next year..if not he might be looking at more bench time

I would guess by 2022 most top high school players will take a paying option straight out of high school.
I think that will be better for the college game.

Sure, we'll probably see fewer individual highlights with lots of the OAD types going straight to the pros, but we may get back to seeing nicer team ball.

The 1-free-transfer rule will have an impact, too, but most years won't be anything as crazy as this year - when people not only get a free transfer but also another free year of eligibility.

I imagine we'll see mostly unhappy players transferring. But that means we have mostly happy players staying, so that's not a bad thing. It's only really bad if you lose more guys than you can pick up.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Wanna bet?

You say "most". I'll be kind and make that 51%. I'll bet you that at least 49% of the top 25 kids in the class of 2022 do NOT take the pro route.

Just as an FYI - a grand total of 2 of the top 25 kids in the class of 2021 have taken the pro option so far. You suddenly think that balloons to 13 in 2022?
I think the numbers jump substantially when pro route is straight to NBA and not necessarily g league. I would not be surprised to see 2/3's of top 25 skipping college when that rule change goes into effect, even higher if rule requires at least 2 years in college.

I think the numbers jump substantially when pro route is straight to NBA and not necessarily g league. I would not be surprised to see 2/3's of top 25 skipping college when that rule change goes into effect, even higher if rule requires at least 2 years in college.
Sure - but that's not happening in 2022. We've been talking about OAD being over for 5 years now.

What if IF:
1. He is asked to prep for 3 positions that are natural to him
2. He has a complete off season and is healthy
3. He gets in a steady rotation that isn't disrupted
4. He gets confidence in his mid-range game

Well there is plenty of reason for optimism!
FIFY. Those are some pretty big ifs. And just what are the “3 positions that are natural for him?” I still think SF is his natural position, if he has one. But he needs to focus on becoming a consistently good defender, I think that’s where his limited skills are best suited. And he needs to play with more energy, less passivity.

I agree that he will initially start, his experience in the system will garner him that. I’d like to see Leaky have a great season, we all would.
Sure - but that's not happening in 2022. We've been talking about OAD being over for 5 years now.
We have. When is that rule supposed to go into effect? Buehler?

FIFY. Those are some pretty big ifs. And just what are the “3 positions that are natural for him?” I still think SF is his natural position, if he has one. But he needs to focus on becoming a consistently good defender, I think that’s where his limited skills are best suited. And he needs to play with more energy, less passivity.

I agree that he will initially start, his experience in the system will garner him that. I’d like to see Leaky have a great season, we all would.

We have. When is that rule supposed to go into effect? Buehler?
It was supposed to be 2021. That never happened.

dook & uk have not offered Lively as I read, Hubert sticking with Roy's offers and strong follow up.
Good for us.

dook & uk have not offered Lively as I read, Hubert sticking with Roy's offers and strong follow up.
Good for us.
Wow. I hadn't seen much on Lively. Seems a perfect fit (7'1, 220, very athletic, center). 25-50 range national ranking. Hopefully multi-year. We are now very thin in the front court. He probably still wouldn't start this year, which could be an issue for him. Would fill a huge hole for us.

Wow. I hadn't seen much on Lively. Seems a perfect fit (7'1, 220, very athletic, center). 25-50 range national ranking. Hopefully multi-year. We are now very thin in the front court. He probably still wouldn't start this year, which could be an issue for him. Would fill a huge hole for us.
He wouldn’t be starting at dook either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT