ADVERTISEMENT

Bigs

Kid has just made bball a #1 priority in the last few months. Has the potential to be a great player with that boy dog mentality. I agree
This is the thing. He has an excellent shot. He just committed to basketball and inmediately dropped a ton of weight which shows commitment and will. Has size. Strength. Ferocity.

Turned down top notch d1 football offers to play basketball. That shows confidence and determination.

I want him a lot. Especially, for what I view as positive intangibles.

And it has nothing to do with one and dones or whatever. I want him OVER those guys regardless if they stayed 4 or not.

This is the thing. He has an excellent shot. He just committed to basketball and inmediately dropped a ton of weight which shows commitment and will. Has size. Strength. Ferocity.

Turned down top notch d1 football offers to play basketball. That shows confidence and determination.

I want him a lot. Especially, for what I view as positive intangibles.
and also look at the jump he has already made in the small amount of time that the "bball eyes" have taken a look. I'm with ya, could be a gem!!!

I do not know why this is so "lol" to you.

Was Brice Johnson not better than multiple people ranked higher than him? Are there not top players ranked lower every year? You see a star next to a name and assume they are better, which yes it a good PREDICTOR, but not an end all be all.

None of the players you are talking about is a Lebron James sure fire hit. So, why it is LOL to you, who knows. Maybe you just know the future though and those kids are future NBA All-Pros and NCAA POYs and Stokes pumps gas at Sunoco down the road.

If you feel those players are better, then state why with reasoning. I stated why I wanted Stokes more than them.

Was Brice Johnson not better than multiple people ranked higher than him? Are there not top players ranked lower every year? You see a star next to a name and assume they are better, which yes it a good PREDICTOR, but not an end all be all.

None of the players you are talking about is a Lebron James sure fire hit. So, why it is LOL to you, who knows. Maybe you just know the future though and those kids are future NBA All-Pros and NCAA POYs and Stokes pumps gas at Sunoco down the road.

If you feel those players are better, then state why with reasoning. I stated why I wanted Stokes more than them.

Brice wasn't a top 60 prospect, either. He didn't have too many players above him to prove he was better than. Also took him 3 solid years to what we saw last year. Same with Berry, who you're comparing him too. Both were Top 30

Of course the stars are not perfect, but they're also not random hocus-pocus magic. They're usually decent indicators of who's good and who's great. Jus thr like College Basketball throughout the season. Some are underrated, some are overrated. But usually they're on point.

I want Stokes @ UNC as much as the next guy. Maybe more. But this is a very unrealistic viewpoint.

EDIT: They were top 30. But the point still stands.

Last edited:
I hope Im wrong-but I don't see it with this guy. I will trust Roy but for those comparing him to a brice Johnson type I recall Brice being very effective in his first 2 years in fact in an ncaa game I believe against Iowa st he looked like the best player on the floor before he got hurt- and probably cost us the game. I don't see this kid having anywhere near that type of impact. these type of guys are fine as long as we bring in a stud to go with them. Also the rankings discussion is a weird one- if this kid wasn't a Carolina recruit I do wonder how many would be even questioning his rankings, or even more interesting if he were a dook recruit.

I hope Im wrong-but I don't see it with this guy. I will trust Roy but for those comparing him to a brice Johnson type I recall Brice being very effective in his first 2 years in fact in an ncaa game I believe against Iowa st he looked like the best player on the floor before he got hurt- and probably cost us the game. I don't see this kid having anywhere near that type of impact. these type of guys are fine as long as we bring in a stud to go with them. Also the rankings discussion is a weird one- if this kid wasn't a Carolina recruit I do wonder how many would be even questioning his rankings, or even more interesting if he were a dook recruit.

1. No one complains that Dook's one and only commit being Alex O'Connell. He wasn't top 100 more than 2 months ago and is barely even Top 100 now.

2. Probably also because this is not a site for Dook basketball or Dook fans, mind you.

1. No one complains that Dook's one and only commit being Alex O'Connell. He wasn't top 100 more than 2 months ago and is barely even Top 100 now.

2. Probably also because this is not a site for Dook basketball or Dook fans, mind you.

Im not sure how your first point really had anything to do with what I said, but okay. Im aware its not a site for dook basketball, I was simply trying to illustrate that I do feel in this case the rankings are probably pretty accurate(just my opinion, of course) and that I don't agree with some of the comparisons being talked about, that's all.

Last edited:
Im not sure how your first point really had anything to do with what I said, but okay. Im aware its not a site for dook basketball, I was simply trying to illustrate that I do feel in this case the rankings are probably pretty accurate(just my opinion, of course) and that I don't agree with some of the comparisons being talked about, that's all.
He has blown up this summer, and he is now being recruited by Carolina for a very good reason.

I bolded what that has to do with what you said.

You asked if Dook was recruiting him and we weren't, would we (or perhaps anyone else) question his ranking. I gave you the example of their current and only commitment that a few months ago, was ranked around the same spot as Brooks is. Before moving up in the rankings.

I'm pretty sure most of us don't care, and Dook fans seem to be glad to have a potential sleeper recruit that doesn't hinder top ranked players from committing.

Dude, say what you want. Stokes has 0 chance of having a better upside than PJ and Knox. What are you watching? Stop brining up your man love LeBron in everything. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to realize Knox and PJ are the better talent. To say you would rather have Stokes is boderline stupid.

Reactions: dadika13
Dude, say what you want. Stokes has 0 chance of having a better upside than PJ and Knox. What are you watching? Stop brining up your man love LeBron in everything. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to realize Knox and PJ are the better talent. To say you would rather have Stokes is boderline stupid.

+1

Plus, I'd eliminate the word borderline.

Kinda funny argument.... bit like a bunch of dogs arguing over the steaks in the butcher shop window.
At this stage I'd like any of the options to sign on as a Heel.... be it fillet, sirloin, rump, or brisket.
I'd like a big rump please.

Kinda funny argument.... bit like a bunch of dogs arguing over the steaks in the butcher shop window.
At this stage I'd like any of the options to sign on as a Heel.... be it fillet, sirloin, rump, or brisket.
It really is a puzzling argument. They're all different types of players, in that all three could be on a court at the same time. I mean, hell, you guys know how highly I regard PJ, but Stokes has a helluva upside, so ya never know in the long run. @imajericho 's opinion on this might not be mainstream but calling it stupid is over the top --- especially when you're talking about HS kids.

Reactions: alabamaheel
It really is a puzzling argument. They're all different types of players, in that all three could be on a court at the same time. I mean, hell, you guys know how highly I regard PJ, but Stokes has a helluva upside, so ya never know in the long run. @imajericho 's opinion on this might not be mainstream but calling it stupid is over the top --- especially when you're talking about HS kids.
I agree Gary. Kinda crazy to bash a kids "upside" when he's only been on the bball radar for a few months, and the last time I looked he has an older brother who made it to the league. Granted, that does not get him there , but the genes are there.

I agree Gary. Kinda crazy to bash a kids "upside" when he's only been on the bball radar for a few months, and the last time I looked he has an older brother who made it to the league. Granted, that does not get him there , but the genes are there.
...and his big bro readily admits Isaiah is more skilled.

Interesting....maybe we should consider taking this one. Trying to put it mildly so I don't appear "crazy"

Roy is a freakin' genius at discovering the emerging gems!

I used to love going to their bball camps. It was always well run and attended by well known bball players. But...even as a youngster I could tell it was BFE!

Reactions: gary-7
So, now I am "borderline stupid", "stupid", etc.

This is why people stop coming to this forum a lot.

Like I said, I posted why I wanted Stokes more. Feel free to explain why you want the other guys more instead of using insults and they are higher ranked arguments.

The only thing I have come close to seeing as far as an argument so far is "having more upside". Which means exactly what? Something you read somewhere? What does it mean?

Freshman Video:
Junior Video:

Now remember this is the year now where he has finally dedicated to basketball. He has already shot up the recruiting charts.

Tell me why the guys you are looking at are better. Because they might be taller? Make points. If you want to discuss something, make points. Don't insult me.

So, now I am "borderline stupid", "stupid", etc.

This is why people stop coming to this forum a lot.

Like I said, I posted why I wanted Stokes more. Feel free to explain why you want the other guys more instead of using insults and they are higher ranked arguments.

The only thing I have come close to seeing as far as an argument so far is "having more upside". Which means exactly what? Something you read somewhere? What does it mean?

Freshman Video:
Junior Video:

Now remember this is the year now where he has finally dedicated to basketball. He has already shot up the recruiting charts.

Tell me why the guys you are looking at are better. Because they might be taller? Make points. If you want to discuss something, make points. Don't insult me.

You are not stupid, ya know, sometimes we use words like stupid when what we see and believe is so far different than what someone else does. It is kind of one of those words that I can say face to face but when you write something like that it can be read in a demeaning and extremely negative way. The poster that used that word aimed at you was not saying that you are stupid but more he can not fathom agreeing with what you said. So don't take it personally, it is just one of those things that comes off differently being written than it does said face to face.

For the record, we may disagree time to time but you are anything but stupid, you are a very challenging guy to argue a point with, I enjoy that. Tho I do not agree I would not rather have Stokes than a guy like PJ, I can appreciate you may see more in Stokes than some may see. IT ain't nothing but opinion and opinions don't always agree.

Stupid is the wrong word and harsh...HOWEVER...

If you watch both PJ Washington and Isaiah Stokes...then come away with the thought that you'd want Stokes over Washington for any time period between 1-4 years then I'm sorry but you simply don't know basketball very well.

PJ is better now. His upside is way higher. He's the better player now and will be for the foreseeable future. Anyone who has spent an iota of time evaluating talent at a high level knows this.

Buies Creek can't be any worse than Ames , Iowa.... LMAO

Well I never been to Ames,
but I kinda like the music,
they say the ladies are insane there,
and they sure know how to ...

Wait, it is Ames and not Spain, never mind...

Reactions: gary-7
On a serious note, with Brooks, I have seen him listed anywhere from 6'9" 205lbs to 6'10" 235, to me he looks more like the 205lbs. Anyone know for certain what he measures out because the 6'10" 235 is a lot more impressive than the 6'9" 205 from a ready to play college ball stand point.

Interesting....maybe we should consider taking this one. Trying to put it mildly so I don't appear "crazy"

Roy is a freakin' genius at discovering the emerging gems!
I have never thought so - and he hasn't really been required to. But he is getting a chance to prove that with recruits like Maye and Platek.

Can you give me some examples of Roy spotting diamonds in the rough? I think of guys like Joel James, Desmond Hubert, Jackson Simmons, Stilman White, Mike Copeland.... I like all of those players, but none really panned out for more than spot minutes off the bench. Except for Jackson Simmons' great game against FSU, that is.

Stupid is the wrong word and harsh...HOWEVER...

If you watch both PJ Washington and Isaiah Stokes...then come away with the thought that you'd want Stokes over Washington for any time period between 1-4 years then I'm sorry but you simply don't know basketball very well.

PJ is better now. His upside is way higher. He's the better player now and will be for the foreseeable future. Anyone who has spent an iota of time evaluating talent at a high level knows this.
See that's not quite fair. That's using the rankings too strictly. Just a recent example, look at Brice's ESPN ranking of 34 back in 2012. Everyone at the time would've rather had #8 Cameron Ridley. It would've been stupid not to. His future over the next 1-4 years looked brighter than Brice's. But who was an All-American? Who got drafted higher? Who got drafted...at all?

I'm sure there were some folks out there who liked Brice more than Ridley. There are now some folks apparently who like Stokes over PJ. Let them. They're not stupid for it and the rankings aren't gospel. Me personally? Give me PJ over Stokes if I have the choice. But you can't tell a guy he doesn't know basketball because he sees big time potential in Isaiah Stokes and is excited about it.

Reactions: tarheel0910
See that's not quite fair. That's using the rankings too strictly. Just a recent example, look at Brice's ESPN ranking of 34 back in 2012. Everyone at the time would've rather had #8 Cameron Ridley. It would've been stupid not to. His future over the next 1-4 years looked brighter than Brice's. But who was an All-American? Who got drafted higher? Who got drafted...at all?

I'm sure there were some folks out there who liked Brice more than Ridley. There are now some folks apparently who like Stokes over PJ. Let them. They're not stupid for it and the rankings aren't gospel. Me personally? Give me PJ over Stokes if I have the choice. But you can't tell a guy he doesn't know basketball because he sees big time potential in Isaiah Stokes and is excited about it.

I'm not talking about rankings. When did I once mention rankings?

I watch HS and AAU basketball games and the players in them A LOT. I don't care about rankings. I know what I see on a court from a lifetime of playing, watching, coaching bball.

With that said, when comparing PJ and Stokes (we aren't talking about Brice Johnson or Cameron Ridley), PJ Washington is BY FAR the better player. Also, with his size, skill, athleticism he is also the better long term player.

So now, let's keep the convo to PJ vs Stokes on the court. Not any other players, not any rankings. When you do that, it's PJ by a country mile.

Reactions: Calabrias Inferno
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT