ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina vs UVA gamethread

Took the defense off the field as if a punt was a given. Can't wait to hear more excuses for pathetic defensive football

Mack Brown needs to decide if he wants to make Carolina a playoff team or not. If so, then these guys have to go now. You can't wait around hoping that a 50 year old man is suddenly going to figure it out. We have a metric shit ton of talent coming in. These assistant coaches will waste it.

If you want to be a top level team then you need coordinators like Venables, Chad Morris, etc. Even Bateman should be told the rest of the season will be an audition. If you don't want to end up back at Army then get your f*cking shit together

Reactions: tarheel0910
I love Mack, but he is way past his prime and these assistants are awful. You can have talent and recruit talent, but if you cannot get results on the field... it's a wash.

This program is where it has always been and always will be- mediocre.

You don’t win games where you give up a fake punt conversion, have piss poor play calling leading to a fumble in the red zone, muff a punt, and have stupid turnovers. As much as I love Sam,.. the fumble when he should’ve thrown it away, the backwards pass fumble to close out the 1st half, and even the “inadvertent whistle” fumble recovery were all just not smart plays.

That game was pissed away about 12 different times throughout the game. I give UVA credit; they were dialed-in offensively.

Bronco played like he has nothing to lose. And they didn’t, really. Pulled out all the stops, went for it on 4th several times, faked a punt... and we didn’t come up with a stop.

Poorly coached team pure and simple ...HORRIBLE special teams that coach has GOT to go/ Defense??? Bateman is a major disappointment

Mack will give the usual post game talk " I am so proud of the way the kids came back and how they fought blah blah blah ....How about you get a little PISSED and especially at your COACHES for an undisciplined team that commits major bone head penalties and terrible tackling This team is a huge disappointment outside of a superb offense

DL clearly is a weakness, but Howell has to learn how to throw it away OR Longo needs to teach him when to throw away vs when to scramble like a reckless cowboy.

Recruiting will take a significant hit in 2022 unless we win out. All of the national hype is gone. The narrative is going to be "we thought unc was the real deal... lol"

DL clearly is a weakness, but Howell has to learn how to throw it away OR Longo needs to teach him when to throw away vs when to scramble like a reckless cowboy.

Hard for Longo to teach much of anything when his head is buried so far up his own ass that he can't see the light of day

Sadly, Longo will keep his job because statistically the offense looks great. But we are top 5 in offensive talent, and with better play calling we'd be undefeated right now.

Oh lord now everyone is against mack. We knew when he took the job we had some recruiting deficiencies and needed at least two above average classes to make up for fedoras crap pile of subpar talent. Need some big time offensive and defensive line help. Every game it’s something though tonight it seemed to be all three phases add some coaching too.

May wanna give up hoping we can land any big time RBs too. I mean would you wanna run behind that line? If the next wave of backs we have aren’t near as good as carter and Williams then we are in trouble.

Oh lord now everyone is against mack. We knew when he took the job we had some recruiting deficiencies and needed at least two above average classes to make up for fedoras crap pile of subpar talent. Need some big time offensive and defensive line help. Every game it’s something though tonight it seemed to be all three phases add some coaching too.

Not everyone is against Mack. He is clearly not the problem.

I'm not "against" mack at all. Mack made his intentions crystal clear when he came here. He's not Mack Brown from 1998. He's here in a much more "take it easy and enjoy it" mode. That's cool, but that's not hungry. He can definitely recruit, but you gotta win games. The two losses so far were embarrassments... period. They were mistake-prone, ill-prepared beatdowns that looked better than they were because of the offensive talent.

I'm not "against" mack at all. Mack made his intentions crystal clear when he came here. He's not Mack Brown from 1998. He's here in a much more "take it easy and enjoy it" mode. That's cool, but that's not hungry. He can definitely recruit, but you gotta win games. The two losses so far were embarrassments... period. They were mistake-prone, ill-prepared beatdowns that looked better than they were because of the offensive talent.

I haven't gotten that vibe from him at all. I'm 100% convinced his 2 goals at UNC are to win an ACC championship and a national championship.

We should be undefeated and ranked #4. Period. I don't give a shit what anybody says about us being overrated.
It took exceptionally pathetic efforts to lose to FSU and UVA. It's time for some heads to roll. Starting with the special teams coordinator. Show your players than anything less than winning every single week will not be tolerated and if you don't get the job done, then it won't be your job anymore. UNC football needs a culture shock.

Reactions: strummingram
I haven't gotten that vibe from him at all. I'm 100% convinced his 2 goals at UNC are to win an ACC championship and a national championship.

We should be undefeated and ranked #4. Period. I don't give a shit what anybody says about us being overrated.
It took exceptionally pathetic efforts to lose to FSU and UVA. It's time for some heads to roll. Starting with the special teams coordinator. Show your players than anything less than winning every single week will not be tolerated and if you don't get the job done, then it won't be your job anymore. UNC football needs a culture shock.
I'm sure he wants those titles, and would say that's what he wants. I'm referring to the fact that he has already achieved the pinnacle. It would be awesome if his leadership could bring that result. And, I agree, these two losses SHOULD have been clear wins. As I mentioned, UNC lost them, gave them away. They had the better talent in both matchups, but failed to perform on the field. I realize it's only the second season. But, it's really frustrating when the losses are pissed-away. The Clemson loss last year was acceptable. But, FSU and UVA should have been easy wins. The offense has actually produced big-time, despite Longo's suspect play-calls. UNC has, as always, scored more-than-enough to win the games they lost. The defense was whipped in the first series UVA ran! And, the turnovers were back-breakers. I'm not sure which was worse- the muffed punt fumble or Sam running backwards and fumbling. Howell's turnover should have NEVER happened.

The loss is still fresh.;)

If there are better coordinators available after this season, then Mack needs to get them. We're not going to be a 10 win team with the two we have and Mack doesn't have time to wait around.

Reactions: uncboy10
If there are better coordinators available after this season, then Mack needs to get them. We're not going to be a 10 win team with the two we have and Mack doesn't have time to wait around.

5 star poast.

Even if they're not available, we need to make them available. Open the checkbook the way clemson did and go find the next venables and Chad Morris.

I may be drunk but I'd bring Larry Fedora back as offensive coordinator in a heartbeat right now. The man is a terrible head coach but he can run the shit out of an offense. The biggest mistake he ever made was handing over the offensive play calling.

Reactions: blazers
I'm sure he wants those titles, and would say that's what he wants. I'm referring to the fact that he has already achieved the pinnacle. It would be awesome if his leadership could bring that result. And, I agree, these two losses SHOULD have been clear wins. As I mentioned, UNC lost them, gave them away. They had the better talent in both matchups, but failed to perform on the field. I realize it's only the second season. But, it's really frustrating when the losses are pissed-away. The Clemson loss last year was acceptable. But, FSU and UVA should have been easy wins. The offense has actually produced big-time, despite Longo's suspect play-calls. UNC has, as always, scored more-than-enough to win the games they lost. The defense was whipped in the first series UVA ran! And, the turnovers were back-breakers. I'm not sure which was worse- the muffed punt fumble or Sam running backwards and fumbling. Howell's turnover should have NEVER happened.

The loss is still fresh.;)

I don't disagree with anything in this poast. He has reached the pinnacle and can retire knowing he is one of the greatest college football coaches of all time. Nobody can take that away from him. Very few coaches have a national title under the belt.

When he came back I think we all (subconsciously?) got the sense that he was repaying a debt. We put him on the map. He never gets the Tejas job and wins that natty if it isn't for his success here. Mack is one of the most successful coaches in UNC football history. He could lose every game from now until the time he is fired and I would still love and respect him as a member of the carolina family.

That being said, you cannot lose these games. If you want to break through to the top level then you have to OVERachieve every single week. Clemson got to wear they are by winning football games and changing the way the national media viewed their program. We had that opportunity in one season because of Mack's relationships in the media. We got that bias because of those relationships and we pissed it away. I cannot express in words how dissapointed I am right now. We will take a major step back because of the FSU and UVA losses. I'd guess we will lose 3-5 spots (at least) in the national recruiting rankings in 2022 because of these bullshit losses.

Sam has not fully adjusted to the college game yet. He thinks a quick shuffle step and shoulder shrug is going to throw off D1 defenders. It won't. Just throw the f*cking ball out of bounds.

I'll be honest here, I think Sam is our Tahj Boyd, not our DeSean Watson. I know that won't be a popular opinion, but the 10 win seasons under Boyd are what brought in DeSean and the other guys that won a title for clemson. We won't win a title with Sam. But he can take us to the level where we can recruit the guy who will win it. Next year is Sam's last year as a Tar Heel. Is Drake Maye the guy? I guess we will find out.

Sh!t the bed on national tv again. HTF do we play like shit after playing so well last week?

We're 90th worst 1st half scoring D, 64th second half. And offense is 30 vs 8 scoring 1st v 2nd.

We're subpar 1st half, decent 2nd.

Frustrating and embarrassing to lose to this UVA team. Undisciplined penalties, turnovers, and dumb play selection. I could go on but won't. We consistently play down to the level of our competition this century; that's what irks me the most.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
Reminded me of the Baylor game.

Carolina couldn't stop the run and continues to lose opportunities because of penalties and mistakes in every phase of the game.

Reminded me of the Baylor game.

Carolina couldn't stop the run and continues to lose opportunities because of penalties and mistakes in every phase of the game.
I feel like running qbs are Bateman's cryptonite. Is he worse than others though?

It's an issue for all defenses. Running qb means extra blocker putting pressure on your size and physicality at point of attack. Morrison is a small nickel, the lbs aren't big, Hopper + Tomari (280) + Tomon + Ray/Jahlil is a small group.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT