ADVERTISEMENT

Clown of the season...

I've lost all respect for Jonathan.

Sounds like he's has an agenda here, and you have young men like JB, Theo, Jalek, Manley careers being evaluated and trashed.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and gary-7
What recent roster was less talented than this year's in terms of NBA potential (without the benefit of hindsight)? His job is to evaluate players based on NBA potential, not college greatness.

"Luke Maye or bust", huh?
How did I know you would chime in and defend that crock of nonsense? Speaking of clowns... SMDH.

But seriously, which team was less talented from an NBA perspective?

The "they'll go as far as Luke Maye can carry them" bit is definitely off-base, but the main point - this roster has less NBA talent than basically every UNC roster in recent memory - holds up pretty well.

But seriously, which team was less talented from an NBA perspective?

The "they'll go as far as Luke Maye can carry them" bit is definitely off-base, but the main point - this roster has less NBA talent than basically every UNC roster in recent memory - holds up pretty well.
No, the main point is he took a cheap shot at UNC's team. If he just wanted to compare past rosters that would have been fair game, but he took a frankly dumbass shot. And BTW, JB can give him the finger as he signs his 1st round deal next year.

The other point is you will go to whatever lengths to defend this sort of post. o_O

Add that dope to the list. He is just another dope who is trying to get clicks. Well, he won't get any of mine. If his job is evaluate players why is he commenting on our team as a whole and the scandal. I would like to know what is the point of his tweet, honestly!! What about some of the positives of our guys??? How can he determine how much talent we have based off of 4 games? Just based off of our freshman Jalek definitely has pro potential and hasn't even come into his own yet and Sterling has great tools, but still hasn't taped into his full potential and Brandon just started playing basketball at 14, the kid could be an absolute monster in 3 years. There is no need to comment on Luke in that way, none at all. Luke is fundamentally sound and does a lot of things right. Tell him to keep talking up Cal and his recruits and Luuuuke will just nail another game winner, go to class the next day, have lunch with a kid not feeling well and keep busting his behind to make himself into the best he can be. Your also telling me a GM won't take a shot on JB, I could even see him in the 1st round: the kid is a winner, a bulldog, and as gary-7 would say a "junk yard dog" and I know I would want him on my team. He's going to battle with the best of them and never back down. Look at the way he has played the last two games, he's just getting going.
People just keep doubting us and I love it because our group of guys just continue to play the game, go about their business the right way and win games bringing home the hardware. Exhibit A: Stanford pony tail dude talks smack to JB- he goes off, John you may be next.
Beware of the DOG!!!

Last edited:
Yep, that was clearly a Dig tweet on several levels. Anyone who defends that type of tripe is most likely not actually a Tar Heel fan.

I could dissect it for them, but they would only look at the guts and offal and say "sure looks yummy to me!"

I don't really get what you guys are up in arms about. The part about going as far as luke takes us is blatantly wrong for sure, but would anyone really try and argue this isn't our least talented roster in some time?

Reactions: pln2013
I don't really get what you guys are up in arms about. The part about going as far as luke takes us is blatantly wrong for sure, but would anyone really try and argue this isn't our least talented roster in some time?
Answered your own question. Nuff said.

Yet some people love posting his “mock drafts” when it comes to players and the nba. Goes to show you how much these guys really know.

Reactions: gary-7
Look deep folks. It's not Luke Maye. It's really Kenny Williams. It's called the Kenny Williams "jump". There are a lot of crickets out there right now from our rivals about this kid. No one expected this kid to be this good, including me. Berry and Williams may end up being the best backcourt in the NCAA.

Reactions: Archer2 and gary-7
Jonathan is probably right with his superficial analysis, as on paper this team is in fact relatively low in overall talent. But insightful analysts go beyond what is on paper. Does a paper analysis account for what Pinson brings to the team ? How do you quantify his experience, skill set and contributions ? Does a paper analysis account for the invaluable experience that 4 of our current players -- Pinson, Maye, Berry and Woods -- obtained by playing in last year's tournament and championship game ? Does a paper analysis account for the tremendous improvement Manley, Brooks, Huffman and Williams have made so far this year ? Jonathan must be bewildered by why Calipari, with all the talent he has recruited at UK, has not won more national championships. Jonathan needs to realize that paper analyses are too easy to do, are rarely insightful and may reflect poorly on him.

Perhaps Jonathan is not looking forward to OAD being eliminated. His job will get a lot boring when all those OADs never go to college.

Reactions: Archer2
What recent roster was less talented than this year's in terms of NBA potential (without the benefit of hindsight)? His job is to evaluate players based on NBA potential, not college greatness.

I don't chime in often, but totally agree with those here that feel this is a moronic tweet. If his job is to evaluate NBA talent then stick to that. Don't opine about how far a college team can go. If college teams only went as far as their NBA talents took them you'd see the OAD factories winning every year. How many titles has Callipari won with his model? One. How many titles has Duke won since jumping on the OAD bandwagon? One. College basketball is a team game. Yeah, having some NBA talent helps, but it's not even close to the only factor. Look at Duke last year. Widely heralded as the greatest accumulation of returning and incoming NBA talent. And it got them a 5th place ACC finish and a first weekend flame out against lil Carolina. This guy shouldn't quit his day job soon because he's shown he knows nothing about the evaluating college basketball teams.

Wow. Just wow. What an utterly moronic tweet. That's so damned stupid it's offensive.
Not only offensive but NBA scouts will use him to evaluate our guys.
It just makes JB and Theo's job that much harder next summer trying to make a pro roster.

Look deep folks. It's not Luke Maye. It's really Kenny Williams. It's called the Kenny Williams "jump". There are a lot of crickets out there right now from our rivals about this kid. No one expected this kid to be this good, including me. Berry and Williams may end up being the best backcourt in the NCAA.
Steat I’ll be the first to admit that I was getting awful tied of Gary and a few others talking about Kenny’s shot looking good. A lot of people look good at stuff but still suck! But I’ll also admit I’ve had the same meal for a couple evenings lately. CROW and I love it.

28 and 16....suck it chump!!!!

You're not really contradicting his point, though. He said 2 main things:

1) We'll go as far as Luke takes us
2) We don't have much NBA talent

We won because Luke played awesome, which fits in with (1). And nobody on the floor looked like an NBA player, which fits in with (2).

That 2012-2013 roster was bad...

The tream was bad, but the roster was "talented" from an NBA standpoint.

Hairston and Bullock were drafted in the first round (which was roughly in line with expectations coming in), and McAdoo was viewed as an elite prospect but ended up far worse than everyone expected.

The tream was bad, but the roster was "talented" from an NBA standpoint.

Hairston and Bullock were drafted in the first round (which was roughly in line with expectations coming in), and McAdoo was viewed as an elite prospect but ended up far worse than everyone expected.

Would you really call that "talented from an NBA perspective"?

Beat me to it, steat. Anyone who thinks they're better? Bring em on.

Well sure. But his tweet was made with the benefit of hindsight

With the benefit of hindsight we know that McAdoo, Hairston, Bullock, and Johnson all spent at least a season in the NBA.

There's a small-but-real chance nobody on this team makes the league.

With the benefit of hindsight we know that McAdoo, Hairston, Bullock, and Johnson all spent at least a season in the NBA.

There's a small-but-real chance nobody on this team makes the league.

All but Hairston still in the league.

So Berry, Felton, Theo, Cam chances are small huh? All four plus Brooks I think will be on a roster.

maybe you don’t need all-NBA talent to consistently win college games..... or championships.... and isn’t that Roy’s job?

You 100% don't. It's one way to do it, but talented-but-not-elite juniors and seniors can do it too.

All but Hairston still in the league.

So Berry, Felton, Theo, Cam chances are small huh? All four plus Brooks I think will be on a roster.

I didn't say anyone's chances were small. I said there was a small(-but-real) chance nobody from the team made the league. There's no surefire NBA player on the roster. Felton should make it, but it's not a guarantee. Some other guys have a shot if things go very, very right for them.

Let's look player-by-player:

---

Berry isn't an NBA prospect at this point. Regardless of whether anyone here thinks the NBA should like him, he's not viewed as an NBA prospect. Doesn't have the size, length, quickness, explosiveness, or vision NBA teams want. Unless he starts getting to the rim a ton and finishing efficiently (neither of which he has done through 3+ years), he's playing in Europe.

Theo is closer, but he's probably on the outside looking in. Old wings with no jumper and limited off-the-dribble ability don't tend to make the league. He has solid physical tools and great vision, so maybe a team will take a flier on him in the 2nd round. But it's not likely at the moment.

Cam could play his way into consideration if he can play awesome defense or show offensive ability beyond shooting 3s, but he hasn't done either of those things yet and will be 22 on draft day. But there is real 3-and-D potential there, if he steps his defense up 3 notches.

Felton should make the league. I'd be kinda surprised if he didn't. He hasn't looked great early, but I think he'll get there if he develops a motor and discipline - his tools aren't elite, but they're NBA-caliber.

If Maye can maintain a 3pt percentage in the high 40s, he might have a shot (probably as an undrafteed FA). But I don't think that's likely, and even then he might be too much of a defensive liability for NBA teams to take a shot.

None of our first-year bigs have the recruiting rankings or on-court performance to suggest they're NBA prospects. Manley has by far the best shot with his length, hands, and touch, but he needs to extend his range and/or become a legit rim protector. Brooks isn't big or athletic enough. Huffman is too uncoordinated. Maybe they'll get there, but they have a long way to go for the NBA to give them consideration.

Kenny is an interesting case. If he can shoot mid-high 40s from 3 and add a pull-up jumper, I could see him making a roster as a 3-and-D guy.

Robinson and Platek aren't close. Woods might have a shot if the light ever came on, but that light looks to be buried at the bottom of the ocean.

---

I know everyone wants Carolina players to succeed, but the talent level of the NBA is so much different. We went through this same exercise with Hicks and Meeks last year. You're setting yourself up for disappointment. Quote me to tell me how dumb I am if I'm wrong. That's fine with me - I'd be happy to be wrong.

First off playing team ball is a talent. Playing defence is a talent. Are there a bunch of lotto picks on the team no. The thing that makes it a douchebag tweet are the shot at Luke and mention of scandal. Roy recruits to make UNC better not to hang out in the draft green room. If the players he recruits go on to be fantastic pros that's great but not his job.

First off playing team ball is a talent. Playing defence is a talent. Are there a bunch of lotto picks on the team no. The thing that makes it a douchebag tweet are the shot at Luke and mention of scandal. Roy recruits to make UNC better not to hang out in the draft green room. If the players he recruits go on to be fantastic pros that's great but not his job.

What's douchey about mentioning the scandal? He's just saying it hurt our recruiting for a while but won't be a factor going forward, allowing us to get more top prospects. Who on here would disagree?

It was unnecessary to bring it up. Typical of haters.

It wasn't, though. It was very directly related to his point, and it wasn't phrased in a "hateful" way. He's talking about pro prospects from UNC. So his statement that "the scandals and investigations are in the rearview, which should help w/the recruiting of pro prospects" is totally germane. He mentions it to point out that it's over.

Who cares. Pisses me off reading this crap. We r balling and exceeding even the most optimistic people’s opinion to this point and we are talking about future pros? Who cares, love watching this team, love watching Luke exceed our wildesst dreams and Kenny shut down his critics. Joel may not be a”future star” in the league but he is one of the best point guards we have ever had, enjoy it for God’s sakes!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT