ADVERTISEMENT

Clown of the season...

I didn't say anyone's chances were small. I said there was a small(-but-real) chance nobody from the team made the league. There's no surefire NBA player on the roster. Felton should make it, but it's not a guarantee. Some other guys have a shot if things go very, very right for them.

Let's look player-by-player:

---

Berry isn't an NBA prospect at this point. Regardless of whether anyone here thinks the NBA should like him, he's not viewed as an NBA prospect. Doesn't have the size, length, quickness, explosiveness, or vision NBA teams want. Unless he starts getting to the rim a ton and finishing efficiently (neither of which he has done through 3+ years), he's playing in Europe.

Theo is closer, but he's probably on the outside looking in. Old wings with no jumper and limited off-the-dribble ability don't tend to make the league. He has solid physical tools and great vision, so maybe a team will take a flier on him in the 2nd round. But it's not likely at the moment.

Cam could play his way into consideration if he can play awesome defense or show offensive ability beyond shooting 3s, but he hasn't done either of those things yet and will be 22 on draft day. But there is real 3-and-D potential there, if he steps his defense up 3 notches.

Felton should make the league. I'd be kinda surprised if he didn't. He hasn't looked great early, but I think he'll get there if he develops a motor and discipline - his tools aren't elite, but they're NBA-caliber.

If Maye can maintain a 3pt percentage in the high 40s, he might have a shot (probably as an undrafteed FA). But I don't think that's likely, and even then he might be too much of a defensive liability for NBA teams to take a shot.

None of our first-year bigs have the recruiting rankings or on-court performance to suggest they're NBA prospects. Manley has by far the best shot with his length, hands, and touch, but he needs to extend his range and/or become a legit rim protector. Brooks isn't big or athletic enough. Huffman is too uncoordinated. Maybe they'll get there, but they have a long way to go for the NBA to give them consideration.

Kenny is an interesting case. If he can shoot mid-high 40s from 3 and add a pull-up jumper, I could see him making a roster as a 3-and-D guy.

Robinson and Platek aren't close. Woods might have a shot if the light ever came on, but that light looks to be buried at the bottom of the ocean.

---

I know everyone wants Carolina players to succeed, but the talent level of the NBA is so much different. We went through this same exercise with Hicks and Meeks last year. You're setting yourself up for disappointment. Quote me to tell me how dumb I am if I'm wrong. That's fine with me - I'd be happy to be wrong.

Bringing up the NCAA BS was a dig and uncalled for no matter how you spin it.

PLN, regardless of whether it's technically true, it's meant as a dig against this current team.

Talentless will never be anything but an insult.

UNC isn't getting much respect, and that suits me fine. Joel and Theo clearly thrive off of it.

Reactions: Archer2
Maye will play in the NBA he will put himself into the 2nd round of the draft as a senior , somebody will take the chance on an easy to coach kid ...

PLN, regardless of whether it's technically true, it's meant as a dig against this current team.

UNC isn't getting much respect, and that suits me fine. Joel and Theo clearly thrive off of it.

"Insult" requires malice - an intent to demean.

His job is to evaluate NBA players for their NBA ability. That is his only job. Even when he evaluates HS prospects, he doesn't care how they'll do in college - he talks about whether they'll fit in the NBA. So he evaluates this UNC team for its pro potential. And he doesn't see much, which is surprising for a UNC team - so he points it out and explains why (the scandal).

If a doctor tells you that you're at risk for diabetes, he's not insulting you. He's giving an evaluation because that's his job.

The defensiveness of this fanbase is silly. Not everything is an insult. Not everyone is out to get us.

We're ranked #9 despite losing 4 of our best 6 players from last year. That's not disrespect! If we beat Michigan State tomorrow, I promise we'll get a ton of talk from national media.

I don't really get what you guys are up in arms about. The part about going as far as luke takes us is blatantly wrong for sure, but would anyone really try and argue this isn't our least talented roster in some time?

lol

He really hates us...

So how does an observation of the game redeem him from his last asinine tweet? Anyone with eyes that watched the game could've come to that conclusion that Maye was playi well. It still contradicts what he said yesterday.

For someone who defends the competition so often, you're pretty terrible at it.

So how does an observation of the game redeem him from his last asinine tweet? Anyone with eyes that watched the game could've come to that conclusion that Maye was playi well. It still contradicts what he said yesterday.

For someone who defends the competition so often, you're pretty terrible at it.

Tell me how it contradicts his first tweet.

As I said in a previous post, he had two original points:
(1) We'll go as far as Maye takes us
(2) We're seriously lacking in NBA talent

People reasonably criticized point (1). But the Arkansas game actually supported that point, and his follow-up tweet was a continuation of that point. Maye has been easily our best player so far.

People took point (2) to be a "dig" or an "insult" - the result of some irrational dislike for Carolina. I posted the follow-up tweet to show that he doesn't dislike us; he just doesn't think we have much NBA talent. And neither the game nor his follow-up tweet contradicted the idea that we lack NBA talent.

So tell me - specifically - where did he contradict himself?

People losing their minds over something as ridiculous as a tweet. This is where evolution has led the human race. If you can't laugh at the ridiculousness of this species then you're doing it wrong.

Jonathon was the biggest clown until pln 2013 replaced him.

This is rich.

So anytime someone goes against the mainstream opinion on this site, it’s perfectly okay to insult or demean them which people on radar do on a constant basis. FlaTarHeel is allowed to insult people, yet I’ve had my posts deleted for doing the exact same thing.

Some of you need to take a damn midol.

Tell me how it contradicts his first tweet.

As I said in a previous post, he had two original points:
(1) We'll go as far as Maye takes us
(2) We're seriously lacking in NBA talent

People reasonably criticized point (1). But the Arkansas game actually supported that point, and his follow-up tweet was a continuation of that point. Maye has been easily our best player so far.

People took point (2) to be a "dig" or an "insult" - the result of some irrational dislike for Carolina. I posted the follow-up tweet to show that he doesn't dislike us; he just doesn't think we have much NBA talent. And neither the game nor his follow-up tweet contradicted the idea that we lack NBA talent.

So tell me - specifically - where did he contradict himself?

• "We'll go as far as Luke Maye takes us, which says it all really."
  • Mentions the scandal just to

Look, I realize you love being an anti-UNC apologist like a few others on this board, but this is clear as day a shot at our team. Were considered the "least talented team" by his standards being driven by the 3 * prospect playing at All American levels. You're attempts at trying to pass it off as some mere observation are pathetic. You're one of those people who try to tell others the piss on our heads is just rain.

I distinctly recall one of the teams between 2013-2015 being much less talented. And a quick Google search would have probably told him that. But I imagine research is a foreign concept to most "Analysts" these days, especially considering how little he knows about our teams.

Meanwhile, One of the most talented teams, Arizona, just lost 3 straight with a likely Top 3 draft pick on board. #1 Duke struggles to beat Texas. Sounds like our lack of NBA talent from that scandal is really hindering us from playing the game of COLLEGE BASKETBALL.

Furthermore, you posting the tweet about him posting the stats of Luke Maye, then sarcastically Tagging it "he really hates us" is the issue here. Explain how simply discussing the stats of the game absolves him from any accusations of bias against UNC.

So you're right, he didn't contradict himself. His point was and still is irrelevant. Our untalented 3* is playing at an All American level. Our players that may go in drafted are putting up huge numbers for our team. But let's harp about us having no NBA talent.

People losing their minds over something as ridiculous as a tweet. This is where evolution has led the human race. If you can't laugh at the ridiculousness of this species then you're doing it wrong.

Somehow you continue to set the bar even lower with every post.

Your levels of pretentiousness are off the charts compared to how little knowledge or insight you provide to this forum.

Guess we have our new tweedle-dee and tweedle-dum combo.

Look, I realize you love being an anti-UNC apologist like a few others on this board, but this is clear as day a shot at our team. Were considered the "least talented team" by his standards being driven by the 3 * prospect playing at All American levels. You're attempts at trying to pass it off as some mere observation are pathetic. You're one of those people who try to tell others the piss on our heads is just rain.

Again, his entire point is that we don't have NBA talent. Maye playing at an AA level has nothing to do with the NBA talent on our team.

His very next tweet said, "Doesn't mean this team won't win a lot college games. But that's not the focus of my job, personally." He doesn't care whether we're good. He cares whether we have NBA talent.

I distinctly recall one of the teams between 2013-2015 being much less talented. And a quick Google search would have probably told him that. But I imagine research is a foreign concept to most "Analysts" these days, especially considering how little he knows about our teams.

Those teams had multiple guys who stuck in the NBA for at least a year. Hairston, Bullock, and McAdoo (plus Brice) were legit NBA talent. Maye is a much better college player than McAdoo ever was, but he doesn't have the same level of ability to play in the NBA. It's a different game.

Meanwhile, One of the most talented teams, Arizona, just lost 3 straight with a likely Top 3 draft pick on board. #1 Duke struggles to beat Texas. Sounds like our lack of NBA talent from that scandal is really hindering us from playing the game of COLLEGE BASKETBALL.

Again - he does not care how many games a college team wins. He cares about NBA talent. Because that is his job.

Furthermore, you posting the tweet about him posting the stats of Luke Maye, then sarcastically Tagging it "he really hates us" is the issue here. Explain how simply discussing the stats of the game absolves him from any accusations of bias against UNC.

What is the evidence that he's biased against us? He praised us when we played well, so it's unlikely he doesn't like us. He just doesn't see many NBA players on our roster.

So you're right, he didn't contradict himself. His point was and still is irrelevant. Our untalented 3* is playing at an All American level. Our players that may go in drafted are putting up huge numbers for our team. But let's harp about us having no NBA talent.

Sure, his point is irrelevant when it comes to discussing how successful our team will be this year. I agree! Because he's not talking about how good our team is; he's talking about our team's NBA prospects, because that is his job. It's an irrelevant point to anything beyond NBA Draft discussions --- so why did folks on here decide to get mad about it?

He's an NBA draft analyst. If you don't care about the NBA or the NBA draft, that's totally fine. But don't raise your pitchforks when an NBA Draft analyst talks about players' NBA draft stock prospects.

A Blue Blood with a Napoleon Complex is a bad look.

Last edited:

Somehow you continue to set the bar even lower with every post.

Your levels of pretentiousness are off the charts compared to how little knowledge or insight you provide to this forum.

I may be pretentious. However I don't let some guy with a twitter and a phone send me into a bitch fit. Any unc fan stable in the program and confident in the team wouldn't even give it a second look. I really don't see anything in the tweet that would cause a rational fan to do anything but take it for what it is.

alice_in_wonderland84.jpg

Reactions: Green C14
This is rich.

So anytime someone goes against the mainstream opinion on this site, it’s perfectly okay to insult or demean them which people on radar do on a constant basis. FlaTarHeel is allowed to insult people, yet I’ve had my posts deleted for doing the exact same thing.

wait wait, didnt you call someone a "tool" yesterday?

Again, his entire point is that we don't have NBA talent. Maye playing at an AA level has nothing to do with the NBA talent on our team.

His very next tweet said, "Doesn't mean this team won't win a lot college games. But that's not the focus of my job, personally." He doesn't care whether we're good. He cares whether we have NBA talent.

Then THATS the one you should have posted. Not the one about him throwing some praise about Luke Maye during a game. The biggest UNC fan with the lightest of blue-shaded goggles can admit Dook destroyed Elon earlier this year.

Those teams had multiple guys who stuck in the NBA for at least a year. Hairston, Bullock, and McAdoo (plus Brice) were legit NBA talent. Maye is a much better college player than McAdoo ever was, but he doesn't have the same level of ability to play in the NBA. It's a different game.

There was at least one year that only McAdoo was on the team from that list. And no disrespect to McAdoo, but You'd be a bit hard pressed to call him an NBA talent at this point. Haven't seen him play from the moment he donned a GS jersey. And Brice was not a "legit NBA talent" until his 4th year. And that was in 2016, so I wouldn't include him.

Again - he does not care how many games a college team wins. He cares about NBA talent. Because that is his job.

What is the evidence that he's biased against us? He praised us when we played well, so it's unlikely he doesn't like us. He just doesn't see many NBA players on our roster.

The part about the scandal is mainly why most, myself included, immediately assumed that he was throwing shade at us.

There is a saying that "it's not what you say it's how you say it". This is prime example. Everyone knows we don't land boatloads of NBA Talent like UK and Dook. But saying we're untalented is a poor conclusion and a very poor choice of words,

From first glance, his comments can easily be misconstrued as an untalented COLLEGE team, not that we just don't have pro talent.

Sure, his point is irrelevant when it comes to discussing how successful our team will be this year. I agree! Because he's not talking about how good our team is; he's talking about our team's NBA prospects, because that is his job. It's an irrelevant point to anything beyond NBA Draft discussions --- so why did folks on here decide to get mad about it?

For starters, we've played about less than a fifth of this seasons' basketball but we're hearing this as if we've already played 30+ games. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Brice wasn't a projected first round pick until midway through the season. Luke Kennard was not a mid-first round pick 6 games into the season last year. Meanwhile, how many of those talented Dook and UK guys didn't end up where they were projected in the preseason projected draft? Maybe let us play a few more games be played before writing off "untalented" Luke Maye and co.

He's an NBA draft analyst. If you don't care about the NBA or the NBA draft, that's totally fine. But don't raise your pitchforks when an NBA Draft analyst talks about players' NBA draft stock prospects.

A Blue Blood with a Napoleon Complex is a bad look.

It goes without saying that after 6-7 years of shots being thrown at us, these blue blood fans are tired of our school and team being undermined. Not hard to understand why some of us don't appreciate poorly structured criticism from media figures anymore.

I may be pretentious. However I don't let some guy with a twitter and a phone send me into a bitch fit. Any unc fan stable in the program and confident in the team wouldn't even give it a second look. I really don't see anything in the tweet that would cause a rational fan to do anything but take it for what it is.

Well "this guy" with a Twitter and a phone has an audience north of 100k viewers. Regardless, I don't see anyone in a bitch fit. I see people disagreeing with his critique with others coming to his rescue. A bitch fit would be the meltdowns when we miss out on recruits nowadays.

Anyway, Is it hard to believe someone who's very comfortable with being the defending national champions and playing as well as any team chocked full of NBA OADs in the country with mostly 3 and 4 star talent aren't too keen on being called untalented less than 10 games into the season?

Reactions: Ozheelfan
Very reasonable response, though I have some minor quibbles.

There was at least one year that only McAdoo was on the team from that list. And no disrespect to McAdoo, but You'd be a bit hard pressed to call him an NBA talent at this point. Haven't seen him play from the moment he donned a GS jersey. And Brice was not a "legit NBA talent" until his 4th year. And that was in 2016, so I wouldn't include him.

McAdoo has played in over 100 NBA games over 4 years and is still in the league. He's a fringe player for sure, but he's carved out a decent career.

Ditto for Bullock (still in the league) and Hairston (who would probably still be in the league if he was less of an idiot).

Brice wasn't a major prospect at the time - that's why I only mentioned him in a parenthetical.

We've had less NBA talent than normal ever since the scandal, but this year it's particularly pronounced. The only player generally expected to play in the NBA is Felton, who hasn't looked great so far.

The part about the scandal is mainly why most, myself included, immediately assumed that he was throwing shade at us.

You can't talk about our recruiting and talent level without talking about the scandal. It's a very direct cause. And he only said that it was behind us, so our NBA talent should tick back up (as it has, with Little and White).

There is a saying that "it's not what you say it's how you say it". This is prime example. Everyone knows we don't land boatloads of NBA Talent like UK and Dook. But saying we're untalented is a poor conclusion and a very poor choice of words,

From first glance, his comments can easily be misconstrued as an untalented COLLEGE team, not that we just don't have pro talent.

He didn't say we're untalented. He's not comparing us to the rest of college basketball - he's comparing us to other UNC rosters. We have more NBA talent than the vast majority of teams, but we're not at UNC standards.

For starters, we've played about less than a fifth of this seasons' basketball but we're hearing this as if we've already played 30+ games. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Brice wasn't a projected first round pick until midway through the season. Luke Kennard was not a mid-first round pick 6 games into the season last year. Meanwhile, how many of those talented Dook and UK guys didn't end up where they were projected in the preseason projected draft? Maybe let us play a few more games be played before writing off "untalented" Luke Maye and co.

He's commenting in real time about what he's seen from players so far (and in their careers to date). He didn't guarantee nobody from the team will be drafted. If players give him reason to think otherwise, he'll give a new take.

It goes without saying that after 6-7 years of shots being thrown at us, these blue blood fans are tired of our school and team being undermined. Not hard to understand why some of us don't appreciate poorly structured criticism from media figures anymore.

I get that; there have been plenty of genuine shots at us over the years, and they're not over. But not every seemingly-negative comment is criticizing our players, team, or program. Sometimes people are just making their best judgments.

This is rich.

Seems to me like you might need one yourself.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Brice wasn't a projected first round pick until midway through the season. Luke Kennard was not a mid-first round pick 6 games into the season last year. Meanwhile, how many of those talented Dook and UK guys didn't end up where they were projected in the preseason projected draft? Maybe let us play a few more games be played before writing off "untalented" Luke Maye and co.

bqkszzzuflqwvzuxdhp2.gif

Reactions: RoseHeel

UNC isn't get
ting much respect, and that suits me fine. Joel and Theo clearly thrive off of it.

Me too, in fact, there's not much l would rather be than underrated!

Just keep looking past UNC and we'll turn around and whop your ass on the head!!!

The man is a troll, albeit one of the more sophisticated ones I've encountered. He is at least subtle enough to try to appear civil and objective while arguing against everything we believe and down playing even the slightest amount of good news or praise! He even slips in a backhanded compliment occasionally, but usually balances it with a jab at one of our hot button issues! The work and attention to detail required to pull off something long term like this is actually a testament to how much pain we have caused for opposing fans and teams!

It has been beautiful to watch, but even trolls can't detract from the joy with which our team plays and the incredible success they have shared with us for three seasons now!

Dadgum, It's Good to be a Tar Heel!

He really hates us...

Yeah, wonder what kind of BS he would've said had we lost?He's a typical hack who goes with flow.
This is rich.

Your posts are edited because of your language in which you and others have been warned.

Yeah well you try dealing with the hive mindset of this place. Say something the majority don’t like, you’re ganged up on.
Has it ever occurred to you that the majority doesn't agree with a few of you, because you don't have a clue what you're talking about or some of you don't appear to be Tar Heels fan at all? If some of you are fans, I'm sure the team would rather you be "fans" of another team. The majority is usually on point.

Has it ever occurred to you that the majority doesn't agree with a few of you, because you don't have a clue what you're talking about or some of you don't appear to be Tar Heels fan at all? If some of you are fans, I'm sure the team would rather you be "fans" of another team. The majority is usually on point.

Has it ever occurred to you, that you can root for the same team while having vastly different opinions on what is best for the team? I do not have to subscribe to anyone. I do not care how authoritative Gary or anyone else might seem on basketball (he’s not).

The majority is usually on point? That’s a load of crap not supported by history or fact. The majority have supported many things in the past, were they always right?

Bottom line, there is favoritism shown to certain members of this board who hold the “correct” mindset and they are allowed free reign, while those who differ are not.

Yeah, wonder what kind of BS he would've said had we lost?He's a typical hack who goes with flow.

Your posts are edited because of your language in which you and others have been warned.

Total cop out. You know others are just as insulting and you don’t edit their posts.

Has it ever occurred to you, that you can root for the same team while having vastly different opinions on what is best for the team? I do not have to subscribe to anyone. I do not care how authoritative Gary or anyone else might seem on basketball (he’s not).

The majority is usually on point? That’s a load of crap not supported by history or fact. The majority have supported many things in the past, were they always right?

Bottom line, there is favoritism shown to certain members of this board who hold the “correct” mindset and they are allowed free reign, while those who differ are not.
I'm not one of those who have favoritism shown toward me. I don't take this board seriously enough to try to flex my basketball knowledge. That doesn't mean I'm not sick of the "supposed" fans that find more negative than positive in our coach & team. Some people know nothing, but NBA impact or high school ratings. Neither of those are determining factors on how good a college team will be. Some of you seem to forget, UNC is a college team. Before commenting on our players, one should try to better understand what makes a good college player & how they develop. Those who appear to know nothing, but high school rankings & NBA impact can be totally clueless about college basketball. That's proven here all the time.

Last edited:
I'm not one of those who have favoritism shown toward me. I don't take this board seriously enough to try to flex my basketball knowledge. That doesn't mean I'm not sick of the "supposed" fans that find more negative than positive in our coach & team. Some people know nothing, but NBA impact or high school ratings. Neither of those are determining factors on how good a college team will be. Some of you seem to forget, UNC is a college team. Before commenting on our players, one should try to better understand what makes a good college player & how they develop. Those who appear to know nothing, but high school rankings & NBA impact can be totally clueless about college basketball. That's proven here all the time.

Where are you going with this? I wasn’t referring to you specifically when talking about favoritism.

It is true I have my concerns about lack of NBA star power and lack of as many high school 5 stars. I also fully realize that’s not all that makes a great college team. Roy has done a good a job as I’ve ever seen him do these past few years. We are exceeding expectations despite not clearing the recruiting trail as well as dook or Kentucky.

Lastly, I do not claim to be any kind of expert. Merely a fan with observations. But I try to be as balanced as I can, because as much as I love UNC, being objective is also just as important.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT