ADVERTISEMENT

Clown of the season...

Where are you going with this? I wasn’t referring to you specifically when talking about favoritism.

It is true I have my concerns about lack of NBA star power and lack of as many high school 5 stars. I also fully realize that’s not all that makes a great college team. Roy has done a good a job as I’ve ever seen him do these past few years. We are exceeding expectations despite not clearing the recruiting trail as well as dook or Kentucky.

Lastly, I do not claim to be any kind of expert. Merely a fan with observations. But I try to be as balanced as I can, because as much as I love UNC, being objective is also just as important.

I'm not trying to go anywhere with it, just stating how I feel & why many fans may not agree with those who are so obsessed with high school 5* players & those who are destined for the NBA. Neither automatically equal championships in college basketball. That has been proven many times by teams winning the championship without being loaded with 5* recruits. Some teams have no 5* recruits, but a lot of experience. Naturally, I hope all of our players play for money & succeed in life, but most fans are concerned about the Tar Heels, which are a college team. The obsession with 5* players shows a lack of understanding of college basketball. Some people refuse to accept that & constantly malign our recruits due to their ranking. That gets old.

If many people agree that your (or anyone's) balance comes off as criticism the majority of the time, you have to wander how balanced your opinions are. Honestly, a true fan isn't expected to achieve balance. There's an inherent bias that most people understand. Striving to constantly achieve balance shows a lack of dedication to any team.

Roy has done a good a job as I’ve ever seen him do these past few years. We are exceeding expectations despite not clearing the recruiting trail as well as dook or Kentucky.

Lastly, I do not claim to be any kind of expert. Merely a fan with observations. But I try to be as balanced as I can, because as much as I love UNC, being objective is also just as important.

As good a job as you've ever seen him do? Isn't that an understatement? Hasn't he done as good a job or better than any coach EVER given the circumstances and "lack of pro talent"? Exceeding expectations? After b2b Final 4s and a natty? That's simply exceeding expectations in your world?? What does it take for you to give Roy and the asst. coaches the credit that's due them? And please explain to me, a true fanatic of UNC basketball, why being objective is important or even relevant??

Are there a bunch of lotto picks on the team no. The thing that makes it a douchebag tweet are the shot at Luke and mention of scandal. Roy recruits to make UNC better not to hang out in the draft green room. If the players he recruits go on to be fantastic pros that's great but not his job.
No, it isn't. Roy's job is to take a group of variously talented guys and mold them into a team that is capable of winning at the highest level of college basketball. I think he also sees his job, much as Dean did, as being a mentor to his players by helping them develop into young men who will be good citizens while being successful in whatever endeavor they choose, understanding that the vast majority of them won't be playing for pay down the road.
I did. I let my temper get the best of me.

But others do the same and act with impunity
We see diverse opinions on the board every day without attacks on the minority opinion. Some posters just rub other posters the wrong way. I think it's not as much what is posted, as how it's phrased.

BTW, you've developed one hell of a persecution complex.

The man is a troll, albeit one of the more sophisticated ones I've encountered. He is at least subtle enough to try to appear civil and objective while arguing against everything we believe and down playing even the slightest amount of good news or praise! He even slips in a backhanded compliment occasionally, but usually balances it with a jab at one of our hot button issues! The work and attention to detail required to pull off something long term like this is actually a testament to how much pain we have caused for opposing fans and teams!

It has been beautiful to watch, but even trolls can't detract from the joy with which our team plays and the incredible success they have shared with us for three seasons now!

Dadgum, It's Good to be a Tar Heel!
Nice post. I couldn't agree more.

I agree with PLN that this guy's job is strictly to evaluate NBA potential/talent. Since I'm a college sports fan, his opinion means very little to me. The only bearing it has on me at all is in my desire to see some of our guys get a shot at their dream career.

This guy knows enough about college basketball to realize we can still win a lot of games, I'll give him that. I know some rival fans that were taking us very lightly in the preseason but they're beginning to take notice now.

I have another theory about Kenny. The big thing in the off season was Cam, Cam Cam. When Cam went down Kenny looked around and said it's my time and he jumped on it from a confidence standpoint. Perhaps only a small thing, but it's something to think about. Theo took off when Kenny got hurt last year. Kenny would never admit it publicly, but deep down within he may have these thoughts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT