ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches Hot Seat for the 2019 season

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
Paul Finebaum is often a dork who just likes to use his forums to lead people to argue wildly - he likes to stir trouble for ratings. But at times he nails something that others know is true but that they do not wish to say then.

Finebaum says that Gus Malzahn is not likely to return to Auburn for 2020. He does not state the main reason that makes sense: that the Auburn boosters are as crazy as they are amoral when it comes to trying to win.

Finebaum does say that the 2019 Auburn schedule is very tough. And he notes that many boosters wanted Malzahn fired last year but the Auburn President saved his job. Now that Auburn President has been forced out. So there is nobody with power to save Malzahn this fall.

If I were Malzahn, I would start true frosh QB Bo Nix. Bo may be the best QB prospect from the state of AL in years, and his father is a very well liked former Auburn QB who was signed by Pat Dye.

If Malzahn gets canned, he will walk away with big cash, more than enough to take a job as HC for low dollar amount on the front end. Both FSU and VT boosters and ADs should be actively aware in case Taggert and/or Fuente fail to get things turned around this year. Syracuse should be ready to woo in case Babers has another very good team and gets a huge money offer from elsewhere.

And Mack should be ready to ask Malzahn if he wants to spend a year in Chapel Hill as a consultant before thinking about a new HC job.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
I would absolutely LOVE for VT to hire Malzahn. He is a terrible coach.

I wouldn't say he's a great coach but I believe he's proven to be a solid coach, certainly not a terrible coach.
Malzahn has been Auburn HC for 6 seasons. He has been SEC West champ twice, and Saban and Bama have won the division the other 4 years.

If you can knock Saban out of the division title a third of the time, you are doing something better than just OK.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT