ADVERTISEMENT

Coronavirus

Getting vaccines for your kids is a big deal. It's not something a parent should just hop on board with. Personally, my kids have gotten some recommended and haven't gotten others. I encourage parents to be as informed as you can be about all vaccines and don't just inject something into your kids because a doctor that barely knows your family told you to do it.
Anyone who takes parenting advice from OOTB should have their kids immediately taken away from them.

I encourage parents to be as informed as you can be about all vaccines and don't just inject something into your kids because a doctor that barely knows your family told you to do it.
if you don’t trust your doctor’s advice I would find another doctor and get a second opinion. Any doctor has to know more about this than I do.

Oh, well congratulations on your child. They must be new. You have much to learn. Good luck.
Thank you.

Listen, we've probably done the same research, just arrived at different opinions. When they ask what vaccines you want your kid to have in the hospital after birth we did all that prior research on them a few months before birth...when they give you the heads up on what vaccines they give at 2 months we also did researched all of them and the need for the subsequent boosters at 4 months and 6 months. We're now looking into the shots at 1 year.

We came away with nothing that was remotely close to stopping us from giving our child any of those vaccines. Reading some stories on kids with Rotavirus, etc. was scary shit. Also read on kids who had reactions to the vaccines and those rare cases just never outweighed the risk of getting the actual thing they were being vaccinated against. To us at least.

But you're right, a lot to learn...on minimal sleep.

Thank you.

Listen, we've probably done the same research, just arrived at different opinions. When they ask what vaccines you want your kid to have in the hospital after birth we did all that prior research on them a few months before birth...when they give you the heads up on what vaccines they give at 2 months we also did researched all of them and the need for the subsequent boosters at 4 months and 6 months. We're now looking into the shots at 1 year.

We came away with nothing that was remotely close to stopping us from giving our child any of those vaccines. Reading some stories on kids with Rotavirus, etc. was scary shit. Also read on kids who had reactions to the vaccines and those rare cases just never outweighed the risk of getting the actual thing they were being vaccinated against. To us at least.

But you're right, a lot to learn...on minimal sleep.
Regarding minimal sleep - wait til the nites after getting actual vaccines.

I agree with a lot of what you’re saying, I still don’t understand people risking their health.
Theres A lot of people that blame a covid conspiracy for trump losing. So they see getting vaxxed as “giving in” to the evil forces at play and not a health risk at all. That’s not all the unvaxxed people. That may not even be the majority. But there’s certainly a lot of that thinking out there.

Reactions: strummingram
Theres A lot of people that blame a covid conspiracy for trump losing. So they see getting vaxxed as “giving in” to the evil forces at play and not a health risk at all. That’s not all the unvaxxed people. That may not even be the majority. But there’s certainly a lot of that thinking out there.
As of yesterday, I know of TWO people who are now dead because of that exact reasoning. They see refusing to get vaccinated as a way to "stick it to the liberals." They got the Delta variant and they died. That will teach those liberals to fvck with Trump!

What if someone just doesn't want to take the shot? Can't that be a reason? They just don't want to? Maybe they want to die. Maybe they believe microchips are in it. Maybe they have a phobia of needles. The point is, I don't know how we got to a point where YOUR health is MY responsibility. Freedom means I don't have to consider you.

What if someone just doesn't want to take the shot? Can't that be a reason? They just don't want to? Maybe they want to die. Maybe they believe microchips are in it. Maybe they have a phobia of needles. The point is, I don't know how we got to a point where YOUR health is MY responsibility. Freedom means I don't have to consider you.
So I get that line of thinking...but I have three issues with it:

First, if you think that's what Freedom means then man, that's some weak ass shit to bitch about. I do truly believe that Freedom comes with responsibility. Which is to my second point...

...your Freedom can harm others who also want to be free. Is part of your Freedom ensuring that your fellow citizens also get to enjoy that? If you're walking around with Covid because you aren't vaxed and someone is out trying to enjoy their Freedom because they are vaxed and you give them Covid then what about them? You could be confusing Freedom with selfishness. They aren't one in the same. In fact, there are a few essays from our founders that argue freedom is synonymous with inclusion.

Third, why is this your line? Why is this the thing where you say "you can't tell me what to do." You're being told what to do by the government every day of your life. You work a job, you pay taxes. You have no choice or you have your Freedom taken away. You want to fly on a plane? Gotta wear your seatbelt. If you don't, they will take away your Freedom of wanting to be on that plane by kicking you off of it. I could go on and on.

So why this? Why is this the thing? Because it's easy? Because the punishment isn't severe? Are you only willing to stand up to things where the consequences for that stand aren't that severe? There's another one where the founders have argued the opposite is really fighting for Freedom.

It just all feels like a lame excuse. From it's not FDA approved, to I found some crackpot doctor who says don't take it, to "it's my body my choice" from people who don't at all think that way when it comes to other hot button issues, to just hiding behind the word Freedom. It's all lame.

Reactions: strummingram

First, if you think that's what Freedom means then man, that's some weak ass shit to bitch about. I do truly believe that Freedom comes with responsibility. Which is to my second point...

...your Freedom can harm others who also want to be free. Is part of your Freedom ensuring that your fellow citizens also get to enjoy that? If you're walking around with Covid because you aren't vaxed and someone is out trying to enjoy their Freedom because they are vaxed and you give them Covid then what about them? You could be confusing Freedom with selfishness. They aren't one in the same. In fact, there are a few essays from our founders that argue freedom is synonymous with inclusion.

Third, why is this your line? Why is this the thing where you say "you can't tell me what to do." You're being told what to do by the government every day of your life. You work a job, you pay taxes. You have no choice or you have your Freedom taken away. You want to fly on a plane? Gotta wear your seatbelt. If you don't, they will take away your Freedom of wanting to be on that plane by kicking you off of it. I could go on and on.

So why this? Why is this the thing? Because it's easy? Because the punishment isn't severe? Are you only willing to stand up to things where the consequences for that stand aren't that severe? There's another one where the founders have argued the opposite is really fighting for Freedom.

It just all feels like a lame excuse. From it's not FDA approved, to I found some crackpot doctor who says don't take it, to "it's my body my choice" from people who don't at all think that way when it comes to other hot button issues, to just hiding behind the word Freedom. It's all lame.

First, before I answer your questions about why I'm choosing to die on this hill, why is the onus on me to protect you? If you're scared of getting COVID, why is it not you that should stay in the house. I know if I'm scared of being in a car accident, I don't ask everyone else to stop driving. I'd stop getting in cars. If I'm scared of drowning, I don't ask the pool to drain the water. I'd just not get in. And what will this lead to? Why would the rabid pro-vaxers stop with COVID? During flu season, do I have to get the flu shot because you might get the flu from me?

But as far as your question, it's not really that I'm dying on this hill. The only place I even acknowledge COVID is on this board. I don't give it a second thought outside of the debates here at this board. So it's not like I'm lobbying for others to resist it. You do you. I'm not getting the vax and I don't have to explain my reasoning - however flimsy it might be to me or you - to anyone. But again, I don't even think about it. If the news comes on the TV at home and they start reporting COVID stuff, I change the channel. If someone starts discussing it with me, I walk away. It is in the rear view for me. I want to make that clear. This isn't some mission I'm on.

And I do have a problem with taxes. A big problem. If you don't, then you're not paying attention. As far as my commitment to that cause, I'll just say that I do my best to not take part - anywhere I can. I won't be any more explicit than that.

Last edited:
First, before I answer your questions about why I'm choosing to die on this hill, why is the onus on me to protect you? If you're scared of getting COVID, why is it not you that should stay in the house. I know if I'm scared of being in a car accident, I don't ask everyone else to stop driving. I'd stop getting in cars. If I'm scared of drowning, I don't ask the pool to drain the water. I'd just not get in. And what will this lead to? Why would the rabid pro-vaxers stop with COVID? During flu season, do I have to get the flu shot because you might get the flu from me?
See...I'd argue you're using metaphors that aren't the same.

The car metaphor, I'd argue is more like wearing a seatbelt vs. not. Car accidents will happen and it's not practical to tell everyone who is afraid of one to stop driving. Hell, we are all afraid of them in some sense or else we would just be completely and utterly reckless on the road. What we do, since not driving isn't practical for most people, is wear seatbelts. Car accidents will happen with them on (just like Covid cases will happen while vaxed) but your chances of being safe walking away from the accident go up exponentially when wearing a seatbelt (being vaxed while getting Covid).

On the flu shot, about 50,000 people died from the flu in 2019 (if you're arguing stats, flu is also one where it's tough to tell if they died from that or some other condition, similar to Covid so the numbers are probably equally fcked). 675,000 people died from Covid in 2020 (again, numbers fcked but probably similarly fcked to flu). So are we being more cautious with something that is 10x more likely to kill you? Yeah, as we should be.

But as far as your question, it's not really that I'm dying on this hill. The only place I even acknowledge COVID is on this board. I don't give it a second thought outside of the debates here at this board. So it's not like I'm lobbying for others to resist it. You do you. I'm not getting the vax and I don't have to explain my reasoning - however flimsy it might be to me or you - to anyone. But again, I don't even think about it. If the news comes on the TV at home and they start reporting COVID stuff, I change the channel. If someone starts discussing it with me, I walk away. It is in the rear view for me. I want to make that clear. This isn't some mission I'm on.

And I do have a problem with taxes. A big problem. If you don't, then you're not paying attention. As far as my commitment to that cause, I'll just say that I do my best to not take part - anywhere I can. I won't be any more explicit than that.
Yeah I'm not on some Covid hill either. I don't discuss it much outside of this thread and if I do it's generally because someone else brought it up. I'm sure I take more precautions than you but that's just personal preference and honestly something I'm just used to at this point.

I do genuinely wonder why people just won't get what's proven to be a very safe and effective vaccine. Since you also don't want to take any precautions against getting Covid, I wonder even more why since there are some things that you cannot do now (at least up here) if you aren't vaxed. To me, if I wanted to keep my freedoms to do what I want, when I want, how I want I'd make sure I could do it as safely as possible.

And on taxes, my point wasn't that you have a problem with it (I do as well and I think we feel fiscally pretty similarly) but moreso that you're doing it. You're paying taxes. Are we all doing things to pay less, sure...but you're doing it. The government has you there. Same with the plane thing.

I just won't understand why this is the thing that sparks the "we're not gonna take it" stance from a lot of people. Oh well.

I think there ought to be some legitimate exceptions / exemptions to not get the vaxx. Like if you've already had COVID and recovered. Or if you're a kid. Or if you're looking to get pregnant. Or if your doctor recommends against it. The reporting seems to go back and forth on this almost weekly but at least monthly. Now it seems like natural immunity is acting as a superior protection vs. the vaccine.

From what I can tell, being vaxxed only protects you from getting severely sick yourself. It doesn't prevent you totally from catching COVID, and it doesn't prevent you entirely from spreading COVID either.

Someone earlier in this thread said " those who are unvaxxed should have fewer rights than others." Wow. Outrageous. Take that same statement, and replace "unvaxxed" with:
  • heavy smokers​
  • heavy drinkers​
  • prescription drug abusers​
  • illegal drug abusers​
  • unhealthy / obese, poor eaters, lack of exercise​
  • elderly (I know - they can do nothing about their age...)​
A lot more people die from these causes above, mostly under the individual's control. Why do we not treat these causes of sickness, death, and hospital occupation with same level of scorn, judgment, stripping of rights? And if one says "well, the unvaxxed are making the vaxxed sick...wait...if it is truly an effective vaxx, then the vaxxed should have nothing to worry about, regarding catching COVID from the unvaxxed.

Two more points:
1) If the "experts" (Fauci, CDC, WHO, Biden and any other clown his administration rolls out with a different story daily) would have been up front and honest about what they do (did) and don't know - and come clean with the public, people would be more receptive.

But the constant changing story, different standards and rules for different groups of people (sophisticated, elites, swells, intelligent vs. the "MAGA rubes"), makes people generally mistrust them, and you can't win that back. "Just STFU and take the jab, don't ask questions, don't come up here with your exception" isn't compelling. Doesn't win anyone over.

2) I am still amazed (I guess I shouldn't be - our media are such lying low-grade scum) how anti-vaxxers are categorized on air as "mostly, MAGA, QAnon, Repubs, red state , science-free death wish morons".

The media knows which groups are largest in not getting vaxxed. BIPOCs, by a very wide margin. I know some moron will come on here and call this a racist shot at BIPOCs. Couldn't be further from the truth.

Maybe BIPOCs have a legit reason to be skeptical, they sure have a right to be skeptical / hesitant given how the govt has treated them in the past.

I sure would like these lying scum maggot race baiters like Don Lemon and Joy Reid have to bring groups of BIPOCs on air, then brow beat them for not getting vaxxed. Ha ha - good one, right? What are chances of that ever happening?

See...I'd argue you're using metaphors that aren't the same.

The car metaphor, I'd argue is more like wearing a seatbelt vs. not. Car accidents will happen and it's not practical to tell everyone who is afraid of one to stop driving. Hell, we are all afraid of them in some sense or else we would just be completely and utterly reckless on the road. What we do, since not driving isn't practical for most people, is wear seatbelts. Car accidents will happen with them on (just like Covid cases will happen while vaxed) but your chances of being safe walking away from the accident go up exponentially when wearing a seatbelt (being vaxed while getting Covid).

Then on this point, we just disagree. I think my comparison is damn near perfect. So for this, it's best we just agree to disagree.

On the flu shot, about 50,000 people died from the flu in 2019 (if you're arguing stats, flu is also one where it's tough to tell if they died from that or some other condition, similar to Covid so the numbers are probably equally fcked). 675,000 people died from Covid in 2020 (again, numbers fcked but probably similarly fcked to flu). So are we being more cautious with something that is 10x more likely to kill you? Yeah, as we should be.

So what is the threshold and who sets it?
I do genuinely wonder why people just won't get what's proven to be a very safe and effective vaccine. Since you also don't want to take any precautions against getting Covid, I wonder even more why since there are some things that you cannot do now (at least up here) if you aren't vaxed. To me, if I wanted to keep my freedoms to do what I want, when I want, how I want I'd make sure I could do it as safely as possible.

Restrictions probably aren't the same down here but even if they were, I've tailored my entertainment and needs. COVID has done many things. One thing it has done was help me realize that I don't really want to be around other people. Certainly the political climate has played a part but frankly, the less people I see and interact with, the better. It's also helped me realize that I don't need nearly as many things as I thought I did. I've seen Carolina games so I don't need to go to them anymore. And I have a big TV. I've been to music shows enough and I have a great bluetooth speaker. I have no desire to travel outside the country or anywhere where I would need to fly. If I want to go bad enough, I'll drive (can't take trees on planes anyway).

I do exactly what I want, when I want. I've just realized that what I want doesn't depend on anyone else for anything.

And on taxes, my point wasn't that you have a problem with it (I do as well and I think we feel fiscally pretty similarly) but moreso that you're doing it. You're paying taxes. Are we all doing things to pay less, sure...but you're doing it. The government has you there. Same with the plane thing.

Yes. For sure. I pay as much as I'm supposed to. Yep. If the government is reading this, HE IS RIGHT...I"M PAYING ALL THE TAXES I SHOULD BE PAYING. Yep, you got me here. No funny business whatsoever. I promise.

If they can manage to obscure the brain trauma and long term brain injury, then, yeah, it will stay around a while longer. It's not going to happen overnight. But, it is declining.
You can share as many of these types of articles all you want, Strum, but these are't sportswriters. They are doomsday journalist hacks who, like you, are too busy being chicken little to realize that numbers speak louder than words, at least in this case.

For ten years, if not longer, you have been predicting the demise of collegiate and professional football. Yet, in those ten years, how many FBS or FCS schools have had their program threatened due to a lack of participating student-athletes? The answer is ZERO.

Sure, peewee and even high school football might be seeing some falloff, but the revenue-generating leagues we all care about are not suffering any hardships whatsoever based on your crackpot theories. Just the opposite. The game of football continues to be as popular as ever.

Go root for a team in that desert of talent in America called MLS and leave football for the big boys.

Reactions: uncfootball-
You can share as many of these types of articles all you want, Strum, but these are't sportswriters. They are doomsday journalist hacks who, like you, are too busy being chicken little to realize that numbers speak louder than words, at least in this case.

For ten years, if not longer, you have been predicting the demise of collegiate and professional football. Yet, in those ten years, how many FBS or FCS schools have had their program threatened due to a lack of participating student-athletes? The answer is ZERO.

Sure, peewee and even high school football might be seeing some falloff, but the revenue-generating leagues we all care about are not suffering any hardships whatsoever based on your crackpot theories. Just the opposite. The game of football continues to be as popular as ever.

Go root for a team in that desert of talent in America called MLS and leave football for the big boys.

In football one team tries to take the pumpkin from one end of that cow pasture to the other end without getting knocked down or stepping in something. Brain injury happens in the course of this game.

In boxing one guy tries to knock the other guy unconscious, which will cause brain injury.

No one complains about boxing.

Weird.

In football one team tries to take the pumpkin from one end of that cow pasture to the other end without getting knocked down or stepping in something. Brain injury happens in the course of this game.

In boxing one guy tries to knock the other guy unconscious, which will cause brain injury.

No one complains about boxing.

Weird.
Plenty of people complain about boxing. I think the reason football gets the most attention is because they tried to hide the CTE situation and then once everyone knew about it, they tried to downplay it.

Sure, peewee and even high school football might be seeing some falloff, but the revenue-generating leagues we all care about are not suffering any hardships whatsoever based on your crackpot theories.
They're not my "crackpot theories" at all. If someone had told me that high school football would "fall off" 20 or 30 years ago, I'd say they were insane. When the roots die, the tree dies. Don't bitch at me. Go bitch at the neurologists that have been finding the damage it's causing.

I watch football every weekend. But, I also know what I'm seeing, in terms of the CTE situation, is not going away.

DazzlingParallelJumpingbean-max-1mb.gif

if you don’t trust your doctor’s advice I would find another doctor and get a second opinion. Any dog has to know more about this than I do.
let me see if I've got this right. Don't trust one doctor so go to another doctor you know not at all, and put complete trust in that one based on...what? Another opinion you're not qualified to concur with? On what do you base that trust, an opinion he gives you that aligns with what you want to hear, or is it the mere fact that he's the second doctor to provide an opinion? So you've wasted time and money and you're still getting an opinion that's no more valid than the first one. Makes perfect sense...to you, apparently.

Fixed the bolded for you, BTW.

BLM protests vaxx mandate in NYC

I just knew it. Very predictable. BLM coming out with what seems to be a legit beef against the NYC restaurant vaxx enforcers.

I'm guessing you won't hear much about this in the MSM....such a dilemma...who to support...BLM and the black community? Or the vaxx mandate enforcers? I would love the race hustlers like Don Lemon or Joy Reid to have to address this issue/conflict on air.

I sense this sort of issue / push back will grow, and will lead to the end of vaxx mandates at least in big city dining establishments. Maybe it will lead to end of vaxx mandates in other places. Who is the vaxx mandate good / productive for?

• No way will it ever lead to a significant majority of BIPOCs getting vaccinated.
  • Restaurants, entertainment venues are losing millions of $ weekly due to the mandates
  • Would you want to be a hostess / waiter now required as part of your job to be vaxx card police / enforcer? NFW. It'd be enough to make me move to a different job, one where I didn't have to do this completely undesirable, possibly dangerous part of my job
  • The vaxx mandate has led to so many people in vital support industries walking off their jobs: health care, cops, firemen, etc. This cannot be sustained.

“What seems to be a legitimate beef”

They assaulted someone, and when they lawyered up, suddenly they claim the n word was being thrown around and they engaged in “mutual combat.”

Seems totally legit.

“What seems to be a legitimate beef”

They assaulted someone, and when they lawyered up, suddenly they claim the n word was being thrown around and they engaged in “mutual combat.”

Seems totally legit.

How did we get to a point where certain language makes it ok to get physical?

BLM protests vaxx mandate in NYC

I just knew it. Very predictable. BLM coming out with what seems to be a legit beef against the NYC restaurant vaxx enforcers.

I'm guessing you won't hear much about this in the MSM....such a dilemma...who to support...BLM and the black community? Or the vaxx mandate enforcers? I would love the race hustlers like Don Lemon or Joy Reid to have to address this issue/conflict on air.

I sense this sort of issue / push back will grow, and will lead to the end of vaxx mandates at least in big city dining establishments. Maybe it will lead to end of vaxx mandates in other places. Who is the vaxx mandate good / productive for?

• No way will it ever lead to a significant majority of BIPOCs getting vaccinated.
  • Restaurants, entertainment venues are losing millions of $ weekly due to the mandates
  • Would you want to be a hostess / waiter now required as part of your job to be vaxx card police / enforcer? NFW. It'd be enough to make me move to a different job, one where I didn't have to do this completely undesirable, possibly dangerous part of my job
  • The vaxx mandate has led to so many people in vital support industries walking off their jobs: health care, cops, firemen, etc. This cannot be sustained.
I feel like we've seen this at specific restaurants/clubs with dress codes instead of vaccine rules. Any different?

How did we get to a point where certain language makes it ok to get physical?

It doesn’t. It’s just a bullshit argument being used by their lawyer to try and get them out of trouble. That’s why they specifically used the language of mutual combat to try and make it look like anything other than three people attacking someone physically. I don’t think anyone is taking this defense seriously.

Idk what the law is in NY but in some states it is a much more serious crime when multiple people assault a single person. In SC it can be considered a lynching and can get you a long ass jail sentence.

When you hear the word “lynching” you might think of a racially motivated killing. You might also think a lynching is a hanging. But South Carolina defines lynching as an act of violence inflicted by a mob that results in the death of the victim (which is first degree) or physical injury to the victim (which is second degree). (See S.C. Code § § 16-3-210 and 16-3-220).Therefore, a racist motive is not required of a lynching but a mob killing is. A mob consists of at least two people who without color or authority of the law have a premeditated intent of committing an act of violence on the person of another. The act of violence committed by the mob does not have to be a hanging to constitute a lynching.

Reactions: uncfootball-
If some video comes out proving the waitress was throwing around the n word then I’ll gladly eat my words. But this sounds like a load of crap to me. It will be fun to watch some hardcore right wingers start defending BLM and claiming vaccine requirements are racist though.

Even if the hostess used a racial slur, so what? We might all be ok with her getting her comeuppance but it's still against the law to physically assault someone because of it. You know, that whole "sticks-and-stones" thing. Being racist is not against the law nor is it grounds for justifiable violence against someone.

With that said, those bitches are lying and just playing the race card to get out of acting like animals. This is the society we've created by allowing minorities to break the law under the guise of "systemic racism". Complete lunacy.

Even if the hostess used a racial slur, so what? We might all be ok with her getting her comeuppance but it's still against the law to physically assault someone because of it. You know, that whole "sticks-and-stones" thing. Being racist is not against the law nor is it grounds for justifiable violence against someone.

With that said, those bitches are lying and just playing the race card to get out of acting like animals. This is the society we've created by allowing minorities to break the law under the guise of "systemic racism". Complete lunacy.

If we allow words to make it ok to assault someone then that will open a large can of worms. What one can claim offends them will start to get crazy. What folks say has never got me all worked up to the point of wanting to fight. I remember a few years ago during a disagreement I was called "whitey". Two reasons it didnt escalate.. first off just didnt bother me to the point of getting my clothes all dirty rolling around on the ground with some dude. Second reason.. the dude was about 6'2, 230lbs and I was only bringing about 165 to the table.

If we allow words to make it ok to assault someone then that will open a large can of worms. What one can claim offends them will start to get crazy. What folks say has never got me all worked up to the point of wanting to fight. I remember a few years ago during a disagreement I was called "whitey". Two reasons it didnt escalate.. first off just didnt bother me to the point of getting my clothes all dirty rolling around on the ground with some dude. Second reason.. the dude was about 6'2, 230lbs and I was only bringing about 165 to the table.
I taught at an intercity school before I moved out here. Was called Coach Whitey on a daily basis. I'm just glad everything is deescalating under Biden and he's doing it with not a single mean tweet.

Bring a 40 cal to the tables. Everyone is 8" tall afterwards :)

Reactions: nctransplant
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT