ADVERTISEMENT

D scheme?

blazers

Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2001
4 man front or 3 or multi? Chizik wasn't as 'multiple' as many of the current dcs.

I feel like offenses have changed a ton the last few yrs and decade with more running qbs, rpo, hung, and spread.

We have a few guys like Chris Collins that might need to beef up for 4-man end. Or is Ritzie big enough for interior DL?

Probably not enough linebackers on the team to play 3 MLB.

Vanilla two-deep that keeps throws underneath but soft against the run as we saw in the bowl game and during his two seasons here in which we gave up ~230 rushing ypg. Will likely be better with better personnel this time around. But he adamantly opposes NIL and isn't a recruiter. So remains to be seen whether we maintain the level of talent.

I think he adjusts to the talent he has and doesn't try to force anything. That said it will be a more old school D overall.

I think we'll see a lot of 4-2-5, which will morph into a classic 4-3 when we aren't facing a spread team.

I am waiting for someone to bring to the table how much his schemes suck and won’t work because I know somebody is saying it now and waiting to proclaim it later. To me it seems like a good hire but I am no expert by far.

4 man front or 3 or multi? Chizik wasn't as 'multiple' as many of the current dcs.

I feel like offenses have changed a ton the last few yrs and decade with more running qbs, rpo, hung, and spread.

We have a few guys like Chris Collins that might need to beef up for 4-man end. Or is Ritzie big enough for interior DL?

Probably not enough linebackers on the team to play 3 MLB.
Ritzie could play inside or outside on a 4 man front, he’s 285 could get heavier this off-season

I am waiting for someone to bring to the table how much his schemes suck and won’t work because I know somebody is saying it now and waiting to proclaim it later. To me it seems like a good hire but I am no expert by far.

I'm not thrilled with the hire, but I don't think his scheme sucks. It's kinda vanilla if it's anything like what he ran in '15 - '16. There are pros and cons to it like just about every other scheme. It's simple and easy to pick up. Forces a lot of throws underneath so fewer big plays over the top. But what it takes away in the passing game, it gives up on the ground. Teams took what we gave them and ran the ball a lot against us during his first stint.

That's the game-inside-the game right now on that side of the ball. How do you stop RPO/spread offenses, get pressure, and still maintain adequate run support? It's what's made the 3-4 popular (again). You can disguise your look, and bring "safe" pressure from the slot or second level. UGA does that extremely well especially on early downs. They also have Jordan Davis, Devonte Wyatt, etc. That's the knock on the 3-4. You have to go out and find those types of players - big athletic DL.

I don't know how the 4-3 is going to look against those offenses or how often we'll be in a base 4-3. The good news is we've accumulated a lot defensive talent for the next couple years.

Last edited:
I'm not thrilled with the hire, but I don't think his scheme sucks. It's kinda vanilla if it's anything like what he ran in '15 - '16. There are pros and cons to it like just about every other scheme. It's simple and easy to pick up. Forces a lot of throws underneath so fewer big plays over the top. But what it takes away in the passing game, it gives up on the ground. Teams took what we gave them and ran the ball a lot against us during his first stint.

That's the game-inside-the game right now on that side of the ball. How do you stop RPO/spread offenses, get pressure, and still maintain adequate run support? It's what's made the 3-4 popular (again). You can disguise your look, and bring "safe" pressure from the slot or second level. UGA does that extremely well especially on early downs. They also have Jordan Davis, Devonte Wyatt, etc. That's the knock on the 3-4. You have to go out and find those types of players - big athletic DL.

I don't know how the 4-3 is going to look against those offenses or how often we'll be in a base 4-3. The good news is we've accumulated a lot defensive talent for the next couple years.
So you don't feel Chizik is capable of adjusting what he has done in the past after watching football evolve over the last five years?

Reactions: heelfan1961
So you don't feel Chizik is capable of adjusting what he has done in the past after watching football evolve over the last five years?
He cut his teeth a certain way. Hard to change after 40 years of a certain style and be successful

So Chizik hasn't been successful?
Chizik’s last successful stint as a DC was at Texas a king, king time ago. He was average to good here. Not great. We gave up 240 yards a game rushing and had less sacks in 2016 than we had this past year.
The success of 2016 wasn't that long ago.. The game hasn't change much since then.
Actually, offenses have changed wildly since 2016. In 2016, Air Raid was still a niche defense. Spread was poo pooed by the likes of Saban.

I think we upgraded but Chizik is needed more to change the culture of the program and that includes coaches.

Scheme-wise if Chizik doesn't going to change much we're going to need depth. Modern offenses are going to pick him apart for 1st downs. We were decent in the redzone his last go... we're going to need to be fresh to keep that up all game.

I don't expect Chizik's impact to come from a scheme change as much as an attitude change and renewed focus on drilling the fundamentals and sorting out the stuff that kept going wrong under Bateman. If we can tackle better and get some push/penetration up front then we'd see significant improvement regardless of the scheme. If guys continue to blow their assignments, play soft, and miss tackles then next year is going to be rough.

If Warren can get the secondary playing really well again them hopefully that will allow Chizik to put a little extra help in the box to slow down the run.

@uncboy speaks the truth! first and second to dos are to improve defensive fundamentals and get the calls in early enough to have the team ready at the snap. those 2 things improve this defense a lot. and i think chiz knows that if you don't have any D linemen that require a double team (at least part of the time) you can't run a man front. we don't think the 3-4 is a bad defense - we just didn't have the guys to run it. our OLBs were terrible in coverage and ILBs were not physical. seriously doubt we have all the breakdowns between CBs and Ss next season.

Reactions: heelfan1961
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT