ADVERTISEMENT

Dick Crum

Barry 24

Freshman
Jul 22, 2019
Mack Brown recently passed Dick Crum for most wins as head coach at UNC. I looked up Crum on Wikipedia. It says that he is still alive and 85 years old. I learned that his first head coaching job was at Mentor HS in Ohio more than fifty years before Mitchell Trubisky played there. I watched one of his old interviews. He was dull to the point of being fascinating to

Reactions: heel1973
Thank Dick Crum for recruiting UNC's most memorable football player...

81pS7oVY6ML._SX425_.jpg

And, one of UNC's coolest helmet logos!

Reactions: TarHeelMark

81pS7oVY6ML._SX425_.jpg

Bill Dooley recruited LT, but it was under Crum that LT became something beyond the best.

Coach was indeed dull. The very definition of dull midwestern. And he was very hard-headed: what worked for Miami of OH in the 70s was going to work in the '80s at UNC. He half-heartedly tried to switch UNC to a Veer, which made his Woody Hayes-era midwestern sense of football kick in doubly hard. Over time, the dull midwestern personality and the midwestern determination to do it as, he assumed, midwesterners always had and to better effect than anybody else could do it, did him in.

He is the last UNC coach to win the ACC - with LT. He also rightly summarized what he found most difficult in being UNC football coach: on Saturdays, UNC football fans want you to be Bama or OU, and the rest of the week, the administration and faculty want you to be Ivy League.

Crum apparently felt that same issue was not true of Ohio St or even Michigan: meaning that Crum knew their administrations were willing to give nothing but lip service to the Ivy League talk and were basically the SEC-North.

I liked the UNC on the helmets as a change for awhile, but the interlocking NC is perfect.

Bill Dooley recruited LT, but it was under Crum that LT became something beyond the best.

Coach was indeed dull. The very definition of dull midwestern. And he was very hard-headed: what worked for Miami of OH in the 70s was going to work in the '80s at UNC. He half-heartedly tried to switch UNC to a Veer, which made his Woody Hayes-era midwestern sense of football kick in doubly hard. Over time, the dull midwestern personality and the midwestern determination to do it as, he assumed, midwesterners always had and to better effect than anybody else could do it, did him in.

He is the last UNC coach to win the ACC - with LT. He also rightly summarized what he found most difficult in being UNC football coach: on Saturdays, UNC football fans want you to be Bama or OU, and the rest of the week, the administration and faculty want you to be Ivy League.

Crum apparently felt that same issue was not true of Ohio St or even Michigan: meaning that Crum knew their administrations were willing to give nothing but lip service to the Ivy League talk and were basically the SEC-North.

I liked the UNC on the helmets as a change for awhile, but the interlocking NC is perfect.
I remember watching a documentary on LT on SHowtime a few years back. They actually mentioned Dick Crum in the documentary. I dunno... maybe they screwed-up.

81pS7oVY6ML._SX425_.jpg

I always disliked that stair-step helmet. In Crum's first year the team wore the crossed NC, but switched to the stair-step in year two.

North_Carolina_OLD5.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT