ADVERTISEMENT

Do you feel Ingram is better offensively posting up or shooting three point shots?

IDUNK4HEELS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
kernersville nc
As he showed against Duke when he hit five bombs from downtown he is capable of doing damage from long distance but I REALLY LIKE IT when he posts up on the left side and takes his defender into the paint and shoots from closer in.

Yes I realize he is shooting pretty close to 40 percent from three point land but I also realize he is either first or second in the league in rebounds so if he gets closer to the basket he has a great chance to get a offensive rebound and score or get fouled. He is just about a 60 percent free throw shooter but I still like him in the paint. Which do you think he helps the team the most?

The last 5 games, he’s been much better from 2 (14-20). He was pretty bad from 2 before then (43%).

This season, I think his best role is a catch and shoot 3PT shooter. Then attacking the offensive glass.

I don’t think he’s particularly good at the iso post back down. I know he has a physical advantage most of the time but I don’t think he’s a good finisher in that area. I also think his handle is average. BartTorvik has him shooting 48% around the rim. That’s a pretty low percentage if you want him in that back down iso left block area.

Also, for this team, I want the paint as open as possible for Cadeau. If you’re a player who has shot credibility and can stretch the defense, that’s a huge value in today’s game. Why take that value away from Ingram and play him in the paint? He would have to shoot 66% from 2 to equal his 3PT efficiency.

Keep the lane spaced for Cadeau and Bacot. Keep making catch and shoot 3s. And attack the glass.

Reactions: John_Mexico
There is no right answer there. Ingram plays best when he plays within the flow of the game whether it's a three or a drive as long as it's good shot. He is surely a valuable player and his contributions on both ends of the floor would be hard to replace.

For me, it depends on where he's playing. When he is playing 4 for us, I don't mind him hoisting a few up and drawing an opposing big out to try and cover him.

What I REALLY love is when he is playing 3 for us and does exactly what you described. Left side of the floor, iso bully ball against an overmatched 3. Almost unstoppable.

That's the beauty of Ingram. He is a matchup nightmare who can do it all!

He's not a good post-up option, as he's not a good finisher. Only shooting 48% on close twos this year -- that's close twos only, not counting any mid-rangers! It's barely better than the 41% he shoots on threes. Put another way, we score a dominant 1.23 points on every Ingram 3, and only 0.96 points for every 2 within three feet of the basket.

Combine that with Ingram's propensity for turnovers in traffic, and it's not close. I think that's why we've seen less of these post-ups as the season wears on. He should only use them against undersized mismatches.

He's not a good post-up option, as he's not a good finisher. Only shooting 48% on close twos this year -- that's close twos only, not counting any mid-rangers! It's barely better than the 41% he shoots on threes. Put another way, we score a dominant 1.23 points on every Ingram 3, and only 0.96 points for every 2 within three feet of the basket.

Combine that with Ingram's propensity for turnovers in traffic, and it's not close. I think that's why we've seen less of these post-ups as the season wears on. He should only use them against undersized mismatches.
Spot on IMO.

Also, if he’s playing the 3 with Washington and Bacot, there isn’t enough space in the paint for him to iso post back down.

But up until this point, the numbers say he’s a knockdown catch and shoot player who can’t create efficient offense off the bounce.

Reactions: gauchoheel
As he showed against Duke when he hit five bombs from downtown he is capable of doing damage from long distance but I REALLY LIKE IT when he posts up on the left side and takes his defender into the paint and shoots from closer in.

Yes I realize he is shooting pretty close to 40 percent from three point land but I also realize he is either first or second in the league in rebounds so if he gets closer to the basket he has a great chance to get a offensive rebound and score or get fouled. He is just about a 60 percent free throw shooter but I still like him in the paint. Which do you think he helps the team the most?
It depends on his matchup, when he has a smaller 4 his back down is really effective. I prefer he start a game with a couple back down ops just to get his game cranked up by starting inside and then stretching to the outside jumper. On the more classic type bigger 4s his back down is not as effective, which should be expected. On the bigger 4s he is more effective taking them out to deep water and away from the rebounding position bigs prefer.

Spot on IMO.

Also, if he’s playing the 3 with Washington and Bacot, there isn’t enough space in the paint for him to iso post back down.

But up until this point, the numbers say he’s a knockdown catch and shoot player who can’t create efficient offense off the bounce.
And that is where I would like to see us invert Jalen outside in jump shooting position while Ingram backs down a wing. Ingram is really good at waiting for the double to come to him and finding the open shooter, he is very patient in his back down, does not rush his decisions.

The last 5 games, he’s been much better from 2 (14-20). He was pretty bad from 2 before then (43%).

This season, I think his best role is a catch and shoot 3PT shooter. Then attacking the offensive glass.

I don’t think he’s particularly good at the iso post back down. I know he has a physical advantage most of the time but I don’t think he’s a good finisher in that area. I also think his handle is average. BartTorvik has him shooting 48% around the rim. That’s a pretty low percentage if you want him in that back down iso left block area.

Also, for this team, I want the paint as open as possible for Cadeau. If you’re a player who has shot credibility and can stretch the defense, that’s a huge value in today’s game. Why take that value away from Ingram and play him in the paint? He would have to shoot 66% from 2 to equal his 3PT efficiency.

Keep the lane spaced for Cadeau and Bacot. Keep making catch and shoot 3s. And attack the glass.
LOL

Ingram's back downs are duo threats, his first option is to pass the ball once he draws a double, he is looking to draw the double but if it doesn't come he spins and is good at it.

I think his strength is in his versatility mixing up the attack with heavier doses of one or the other depending on who is checking him.

His 3ball is at a far and away carreer best for him, it has got him to be our only player with a 2nd round draft projection, and we need the spacing as 1 of the 3 stay at home shooting options we have. So normally, maybe a 70/30 type split seems about right off hand to me.

Spot on IMO.

I agree that a front line of Mando/Washington/Ingram makes us an extremely slow, plodding team on both ends of the court. I don't think that will come into play much at all though, as Mando and Washington will rarely share the court.

When Withers at the 4 is where his SF flexibility can play in my opinion.

I agree that a front line of Mando/Washington/Ingram makes us an extremely slow, plodding team on both ends of the court. I don't think that will come into play much at all though, as Mando and Washington will rarely share the court.

When Withers at the 4 is where his SF flexibility can play in my opinion.
So we become a plodding team when Jalen is put in at the 4 and Ingram moves to the 3, just the inserting of Jalen makes is plodding? Slower than using small ball, well of course but slower does not equal plodding. Folks seem stuck on calling Jalen slow, now the case they make has been his lateral movement due to his knee issues of the past and now you raise that anty to include straight line speed? Looks to me like he runs the court fine, he gets beaten defensively at times but basically he may not even be where a typical freshman is due to all the time he has spend recovering from surgery or rehabbing. High was able to play more games than Jalen before coming to UNC, Jalen is learning is more the reason for his defensive struggles.

Big ball is always going to be slower than small ball but big ball gives other advantages small ball does not, it is always a trade off. But to call big man ball plodding is just not fair nor is it accurate.

So we become a plodding team when Jalen is put in at the 4 and Ingram moves to the 3, just the inserting of Jalen makes is plodding? Slower than using small ball, well of course but slower does not equal plodding. Folks seem stuck on calling Jalen slow, now the case they make has been his lateral movement due to his knee issues of the past and now you raise that anty to include straight line speed? Looks to me like he runs the court fine, he gets beaten defensively at times but basically he may not even be where a typical freshman is due to all the time he has spend recovering from surgery or rehabbing. High was able to play more games than Jalen before coming to UNC, Jalen is learning is more the reason for his defensive struggles.

Big ball is always going to be slower than small ball but big ball gives other advantages small ball does not, it is always a trade off. But to call big man ball plodding is just not fair nor is it accurate.
Slow and plodding with Mando and Washington in at the same time fits to me. I'm not sure how I could describe that combo otherwise. They each are sub par in the quickness area, together it is accentuated. If Ingram is then at the 3, we are slow across the board on the front line to the average player.

I just think Ingram will continue to get his minutes at the 3 when Withers is on the court with either Mando or Washington at the 5. But very rarely will Mando and Washington be paired together.

Slow and plodding with Mando and Washington in at the same time fits to me. I'm not sure how I could describe that combo otherwise. They each are sub par in the quickness area, together it is accentuated. If Ingram is then at the 3, we are slow across the board on the front line to the average player.

I just think Ingram will continue to get his minutes at the 3 when Withers is on the court with either Mando or Washington at the 5. But very rarely will Mando and Washington be paired together.
Especially if it’s Cadeau/Ingram/Washington/Bacot together. That’s not enough spacing. If it’s RJ and Ryan in the backcourt, maybe you can get away with Ingram at the 3 and there would be enough space to iso post him.

I guess the question is do you like the quality of shot that comes from him being in that iso post up spot. The numbers say he isn’t a good finisher but if you think that’s more of a fluke and you like Ingram taking 5-10 footers off that action, then that’s your call.

IMO, you’re playing at a disadvantage if you’re having a 40% 3PT shooter shoot more 2s and reducing the number of 3s he takes. I would rather him shoot a catch and shoot 3 than a 2 off multiple back-in dribbles. He would have to shoot an insanely high percentage on those post ups to make it equal to his 3PT efficiency.

Unless you think he isn’t a 40% 3PT shooter in reality then I think that’s a tremendous value to this team right now. We have 2 consistently excellent high volume 3PT shooters. It doesn’t make sense to me to limit one of those player’s 3PT output.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT