ADVERTISEMENT

Dook to broadcast muslim call to prayer

Strum,

If your point is that this only began happening after WWII, how do you explain the caliphates from the 6th century until WWII?

The solution is not genocide. The best solution is showing the non-radicals that we support them and that we are there for them. That is not achieved through isolationism. But we can't do it alone. We need the non-radicals to take a stand. But when so many (yet still a minority) believe that wanton murder (suicide bombing) is acceptable, if even occasionally, then what?

Originally posted by UNC71-00:
Strum,

If your point is that this only began happening after WWII, how do you explain the caliphates from the 6th century until WWII?

The solution is not genocide. The best solution is showing the non-radicals that we support them and that we are there for them. That is not achieved through isolationism. But we can't do it alone. We need the non-radicals to take a stand. But when so many (yet still a minority) believe that wanton murder (suicide bombing) is acceptable, if even occasionally, then what?
I mean the terror attacks toward the USA. I realize there have been Islamic people before WWII. I don't recall any terror attacks in the 19th Century or early 20th Century on the USA. If I'm not making sure people in Kansas are doing what they're supposed to, am I being an isolationist? For that matter, my next door neighbor?

If you really think that sending troops and occupying their homeland will keep them from acting out in acts of revenge and terror, knock yourself out. It will guarantee the opposite. I do agree that more Muslims need to denounce the actions of their radical fringe.

Originally posted by strummingram:

I mean the terror attacks toward the USA. I realize there have been Islamic people before WWII. I don't recall any terror attacks in the 19th Century or early 20th Century on the USA. If I'm not making sure people in Kansas are doing what they're supposed to, am I being an isolationist? For that matter, my next door neighbor?

If you really think that sending troops and occupying their homeland will keep them from acting out in acts of revenge and terror, knock yourself out. It will guarantee the opposite. I do agree that more Muslims need to denounce the actions of their radical fringe.
I can't tell if you are intentionally obstinate or just logically defunct. For starters, no one, other than the British empire, had the ability to attack the US until Pearl Harbor

also, the radical mooslims were committing acts of terror on infidels for 1400 years prior to the creation of Israel. Just because these attacks didn't occur on US soil doesn't meant they didnt happen.

I don't think anyone, other than non radical mooslims, can fix the problem. But does that mean we are to abandon all infidels who live amongst the radical mooslims? Should we not do something to help the people of Nigeria? and the Syrians and Iraqis? The only thing these people ever did was chose to be born in the wrong place. What should we do about them?

I can't tell if you are intentionally obstinate or just logically defunct. For starters, no one, other than the British empire, had the ability to attack the US until Pearl Harbor

also, the radical mooslims were committing acts of terror on infidels for 1400 years prior to the creation of Israel. Just because these attacks didn't occur on US soil doesn't meant they didnt happen.

I don't think anyone, other than non radical mooslims, can fix the problem. But does that mean we are to abandon all infidels who live amongst the radical mooslims? Should we not do something to help the people of Nigeria? and the Syrians and Iraqis? The only thing these people ever did was chose to be born in the wrong place. What should we do about them?
If you don't think anyone other than non-radical Muslims can fix the problem, then I think you answered all your other questions.

Non-radicals can't do it alone.
Make up your mind.
Mine are not mutually exclusive positions. No one other than the people of the East Bloc could overthrow the communists, but they couldn't do it without help from the West. Same thing here.

Non-radicals can't do it alone.
Make up your mind.
Mine are not mutually exclusive positions. No one other than the people of the East Bloc could overthrow the communists, but they couldn't do it without help from the West. Same thing here.
Communism in the USSR failed for economic reasons as well. Not from US invasions and occupations. Look, man, being fearful of all Muslims (like freaking out over this call to prayer) is not helping the situation.

Communism in the USSR failed for economic reasons as well. Not from US invasions and occupations. Look, man, being fearful of all Muslims (like freaking out over this call to prayer) is not helping the situation.
And the economic reasons were all based in the fact that they were devoting way too many resources for keeping up with US military strength and selective use of that strength. That is one way we helped.

Would blacks have have civil rights in this country if they had not taken it upon themselves to demand them? Yet though without help from the majority of people in this country that weren't black but against segregation, it never would have happened.

Your determination to ignore everything that doesn't directly affect your day to day life is selfish and made from a position of privilege and strength, if I understand it correctly. Hopefully I am wrong though.

And the economic reasons were all based in the fact that they were devoting way too many resources for keeping up with US military strength and selective use of that strength. That is one way we helped.

Would blacks have have civil rights in this country if they had not taken it upon themselves to demand them? Yet though without help from the majority of people in this country that weren't black but against segregation, it never would have happened.

Your determination to ignore everything that doesn't directly affect your day to day life is selfish and made from a position of privilege and strength, if I understand it correctly. Hopefully I am wrong though.
The Soviet Union collapsed for many reasons. But, yes, choosing guns over butter helped. They went beyond their means in "defense" spending, military spending. It gets expensive.

And, no need to be hopeful that you're wrong... you are. You confuse "ignoring everything" with "not doing it your way." Being critical of bad policy and voicing that I believe we are going about it the wrong way is not ignoring it. Quite the opposite. I agree that southern blacks needed help to get their rights. I agree that you can help a situation and should help it... in the RIGHT WAY! Meddling and making it worse is not a good solution. As I've said, many times, if you think that spending our money on militarization and invasions and occupations will make these people less resentful and less likely to act-out in a terrorist fashion, be my guest. All it has done is increased the resolve and the destructive potential of their vengeful spirit. Fanning the flames of fear of Islam only makes it worse. Erring on the side of "well, all Muslims are probably dangerous and Islam is a religion of violence" is making it worse. I'm doing anything BUT ignoring this. Trying to encourage empathy from all angles is more effective to me. Encouraging people to get to know people who ARE Muslim, that they can speak with and get to know and better understand their ideology and perspectives, is my idea of progress. I don't advocate sending troops into these places and changing entire countries by threat of force. You may help some, and you're definitely going to upset that many and more, especially if you're doing it based on greed. Believe me, people (government, people in power) don't invest men, resources, and money unless there is a reward. And, "bringing democracy to them" is a big lie.

I agree that you can help a situation and should help it... in the RIGHT WAY! Meddling and making it worse is not a good solution. As I've said, many times, if you think that spending our money on militarization and invasions and occupations will make these people less resentful and less likely to act-out in a terrorist fashion, be my guest. All it has done is increased the resolve and the destructive potential of their vengeful spirit. Fanning the flames of fear of Islam only makes it worse. Erring on the side of "well, all Muslims are probably dangerous and Islam is a religion of violence" is making it worse. I'm doing anything BUT ignoring this. Trying to encourage empathy from all angles is more effective to me. Encouraging people to get to know people who ARE Muslim, that they can speak with and get to know and better understand their ideology and perspectives, is my idea of progress. I don't advocate sending troops into these places and changing entire countries by threat of force. You may help some, and you're definitely going to upset that many and more, especially if you're doing it based on greed. Believe me, people (government, people in power) don't invest men, resources, and money unless there is a reward. And, "bringing democracy to them" is a big lie.
Ok Strum, then how do you propose to help those under constant threat from mooslim extremists? I have read this soliloquy several times and I still don't understand what course of action you think should be taken.

And please- fewer words are better than more words.

I agree that you can help a situation and should help it... in the RIGHT WAY! Meddling and making it worse is not a good solution. As I've said, many times, if you think that spending our money on militarization and invasions and occupations will make these people less resentful and less likely to act-out in a terrorist fashion, be my guest. All it has done is increased the resolve and the destructive potential of their vengeful spirit. Fanning the flames of fear of Islam only makes it worse. Erring on the side of "well, all Muslims are probably dangerous and Islam is a religion of violence" is making it worse. I'm doing anything BUT ignoring this. Trying to encourage empathy from all angles is more effective to me. Encouraging people to get to know people who ARE Muslim, that they can speak with and get to know and better understand their ideology and perspectives, is my idea of progress. I don't advocate sending troops into these places and changing entire countries by threat of force. You may help some, and you're definitely going to upset that many and more, especially if you're doing it based on greed. Believe me, people (government, people in power) don't invest men, resources, and money unless there is a reward. And, "bringing democracy to them" is a big lie.
Ok Strum, then how do you propose to help those under constant threat from mooslim extremists? I have read this soliloquy several times and I still don't understand what course of action you think should be taken.

And please- fewer words are better than more words.
Empathy

and how should this empathy be manifested?
This post was edited on 1/17 1:45 PM by UNC71-00

and how should this empathy be manifested?
This post was edited on 1/17 1:45 PM by UNC71-00
Start with yourself and work your way outward. Imagine you are them in every situation that arises- how would you feel. You're not in charge of the country. Nor am I. You can make all kinds of proposals on here about whoever actually is in charge should do this, or do that, but, it's all just talk and wishful thinking. You and I have very, very, VERY little influence over anything that will happen on a national scale, let alone a global scale. As I said, go out and meet and get to know a Muslim... some Muslims, near you.That will give you an actual personal precedent. To me that's a lot more solid and something I can relate to than watching some pundit on TV, or politician, who's entire livelihood literally depends on a perpetuation of conflict. Forming an attitude about entire groups of people is almost always a mistake, too.

I know a bunch of mooslims. They are good people.

How does this address the murders and terrorism being perpetrated by radicals?

I know a bunch of mooslims. They are good people.

How does this address the murders and terrorism being perpetrated by radicals?
I'm not going to be able to "personally address" these murders anyway, dude. Nor are you. I think it's pretty arrogant to believe you can "address" it beyond your opinion. Aside from commentary, what else do you think YOU can actually do? Whatever it is, by all means, please get to doing it and stop arguing with me over what you think it should be. Run for Congress! I told you what I am doing. And, referring to them as "mooslims" comes-off to me as intentional disrespect on your part as well. That sort of kills your credibility on your empathy, from my viewpoint. And, since you know so many good Muslims, then you should be asking THEM what you should and could do. They would be the best authority and you already said that they were the ones who could fix it. Run along and make plans with them.

I can personally support them by voting for politicians who will support countering the radicals. I can support them by speaking out against the radicals and not apologizing for their actions. Mooslims is an accepted spelling and I like it because it is phonetically proper. You are looking for anything at this point to justify your childish thought process. It's called rationalization and its up to you to quit rationalizing and accept facts.

You aren't doing anything.

So you would help the person across the street being mugged. What about the one a few blocks down? My guess is no. You choose to only deal with things you can actually see first hand and if you can't see it, then it is not real. Fantasyland is nice, but most of us have to leave it when we become adults.

I can personally support them by voting for politicians who will support countering the radicals. I can support them by speaking out against the radicals and not apologizing for their actions. Mooslims is an accepted spelling and I like it because it is phonetically proper. You are looking for anything at this point to justify your childish thought process. It's called rationalization and its up to you to quit rationalizing and accept facts.

You aren't doing anything.

So you would help the person across the street being mugged. What about the one a few blocks down? My guess is no. You choose to only deal with things you can actually see first hand and if you can't see it, then it is not real. Fantasyland is nice, but most of us have to leave it when we become adults.
I have a 3 block, 4-house limit. Then my empathy turns off. Your guess is just that, a guess. If anyone is in Fantasyland it's you with these endless hypothetical "What-If's"

Speak out, vote, do whatever you like. I never said what I don't see doesn't happen or isn't real. I'm simply being practical about what I can actually influence, change or alter directly. I'm not doing anything by your standards because I choose a different path. And, keep on think political routes will change it and I'll watch it stay the same. Those people NEED IT to legitimize their offices and livelihood. And, mooslim is NOT an "accepted spelling" at all. Congratulations on being an adult. It sounds like an indoctrinated, subjugated, crystallized life to me.

Is there anything you can change in the realm of public policy? If so, what and how?

And mooslim is perfectly acceptable. I asked my friends ( the Khans) once and they told me they preferred it because it was the proper pronunciation.

You are not just "watching" anything. You are constantly chirping in thse threads. If you don't care and think it all in vain, why waste your time typing? You are actually taking a stand against people taking a stand, but you offer no alternative but "empathy". These threads draw you in, more than any other poster, like a moth to a flame. But still no one understands your point. I have tried, in a passive and sympathetic way, to give you an opportunity to explain yourself.

What's your point in your joining these threads Strum, other than just trying to get under people's skin?

The recent episodes in Ferguson, MO, where there was vandalism and riots were terrible things. How would you feel if Russia or China sent in troops to "help us" take care of whoever the "victims" might be in their view? Sometimes it's possible that people can overcome adversity without the help of people who have no idea whatsoever as to what is actually going on.

Is there anything you can change in the realm of public policy? If so, what and how?

And mooslim is perfectly acceptable. I asked my friends ( the Khans) once and they told me they preferred it because it was the proper pronunciation.

You are not just "watching" anything. You are constantly chirping in thse threads. If you don't care and think it all in vain, why waste your time typing? You are actually taking a stand against people taking a stand, but you offer no alternative but "empathy". These threads draw you in, more than any other poster, like a moth to a flame. But still no one understands your point. I have tried, in a passive and sympathetic way, to give you an opportunity to explain yourself.

What's your point in your joining these threads Strum, other than just trying to get under people's skin?
And, what are you doing? Arguing back with me? Wow, what altruism toward the downtrodden, innocent, peaceful Muslims.

You choose to help these people by advocating these sweeping ideas that all Muslims are potentially evil and all Muslim countries are violent and a threat to the civilized world. I'm taking a stand that a generalization, based on that propaganda, is a bad idea. If you don't understand that point, that's not my problem. I'm not defending any of these acts of violence by insisting that most Muslims are peaceful and Islam is not inherently evil and violent. See if the Khans agree or disagree.

Challenging how people view things is change, or potential change. Even Raising Heel admitted he "liked how his mind works" even if he doesn't agree with me. That's enough for me. I definitely enjoy challenging how people think. I like being challenged on how I think! Why does ANYONE participate on here other than to serve their ego on some level? You have an opinion, you share it. You disagree, you share that, too. The alternatives I offer are simply not what you're used to or expect. You think you can vote-in these necessary changes. I don't. Where are you speaking-out publicly next? I wanna be there.

frederick_douglass_agitate_keepsake_box.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT