ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (dook game 2)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and let's make it 10.

Y'know, I thought I knew a thing-or-two about Carolina basketball history, but I didn't realize til a oouple of days ago that we've won 9 straight dook games that were for the regular season title. Well, alrighty then...

- Gonna start here to get it outta the way: We know what to expect zebra-wise in durham --- believe me, I've seen worse --- but what an odd crew to get this assignment... and Bert Smith is just awful.

- Speaking of which, how in the hell did Flopowski not get that 5th foul call when he absolutely flattened RJ? SMDH. And speaking of that jackass, Flopowski is just the latest in the line of punk dookie cheap-shot artists. That trip on Ingram was typical and Laettner-worthy.

OK, let's get to the good stuff:

- Ingram was a grown-ass man again vs these guys

- Mando missed too many inside in the first half, but he kept his focus after the break. And it was pretty obvious the staff had no respect for #15 --- isoed him every time he guarded Mando. Speaking of that, Mando should have been at the line several more times.

- I told a buddy before the game that Withers could be big for us as a match-up problem, and he sure was. That tip before the break was huge, BTW. I thought we might use him more late when dook went to 2 Bigs.

- Seth played his usual strong D and made some positive moves offensively at key times, and love that JWash slam

- Credit where it's due, dook scouted our base actions well --- especially our PnRs and the off-screens for RJ --- and that led to some TOs. And here's the thing, as we get into March, that scouting will get picked up. Hope to see some X-and-O tweaks by Hubert and Jeff as we head for tourneys.

- As usual, when we hit transition we were on the verge of blowing them out, and that starts with defense. With a few lapses aside, we got after it from the get-go.

- speaking of defense, I was really worried about #0, who has been lighting it up recently --- a phalanx of defenders made him work and never let dook go on any extended run at home

- When that first phantom call on EC happened, I got a sick feeling, and sure enough the second foul that sent him to the bench stalled the Ferrari --- went from a 15-pt lead to 6. Again, that Withers tip to get us to 9 at the half was huge.

- And whew! Cormac F***ing Ryan!. Our elder statesman saved it for the biggest stage, baby! And speaking of Cormac, make no mistake -- he bailed us out of some UGLY possessions when Cadeau was on the bench, and that was the difference-maker. We never let dook get to a lead, and much of that was from clutch Cormac daggers.

- Finally, our guys showed the kind of resolve on a night when RJ was iunder assault, and that bodes well in coming weeks. That was a championship performance.

Anyway, having the vampire sitting next to the court made it all the sweeter, reminding him of losing his last home UNC game. Great night, guys! Let's don't stop now....
😁 :cool:

The ACC commissioner has to do something with Bryan Kersey. This is down right criminal behavior. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Great finish to the regular season. Sending the Dook seniors out with that "L" can help them relate to Coach K...😆

The white hot start was perfect, led from wire to wire. Cormac gave a taste of what was to come. He was GREAT, assigned the chase dee role he played the dee and 3 without withering, (he is used to the load) to near perfection. 9-10 free throws going to the bucket when needed or fouled late to salt it away as well.

The back to back blocks by Withers and Mando leading directly to buckets after Trimble attacked leaving Withers hustling to clean up, and then the absolute "dime" 3 quarter court pass to Cormac from Seth came at a perfect time to stymie the dookies momentum. Very controlled efficient game from Seth.

Controlled the glass, beat them to the floor for loose balls, got after them with physicality. Winning stuff right there.

Happy for Cormac. An up and down season but caps it with a legendary performance and it will be remembered for years to come. He deserves the ultimate credit tonight and hopefully everyone will give them.

I’m sorry but Cormac is the lead story tonight over the refs.

Thought it was a Cormac and bench game. With key contributions from everyone else at important times throughout the game.

A performance worthy of winning an outright regular season title. And a team worthy of being outright regular season champs.

Well done.

Happy for Cormac. An up and down season but caps it with a legendary performance and it will be remembered for years to come. He deserves the ultimate credit tonight and hopefully everyone will give them.

I’m sorry but Cormac is the lead story tonight over the refs.

Thought it was a Cormac and bench game. With key contributions from everyone else at important times throughout the game.

A performance worthy of winning an outright regular season title. And a team worthy of being outright regular season champs.

Well done.
And a 1 seed. I feel like that is in order if they don’t bow early in the ACC tourney. Heels spanked UT who lost at home to a teens ranked team - Heels won on road vs top 10.
Zona might lose to a below mediocre USC. team.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and gary-7
Wow. Not a good good game by zona. And Love, yikes.
We’ve seen that version of Love. He can be good, but when he has an off night, no matter - he’s still jacking up his massive number of shots.

Is why rj is light years better than cl. Rj is better shooter ball handler AND so much better leader and smarter about getting others involved when a team doubles him, tries to take him away.

We’ve seen that version of Love. He can be good, but when he has an off night, no matter - he’s still jacking up his massive number of shots.

Is why rj is light years better than cl. Rj is better shooter ball handler AND so much better leader and smarter about getting others involved when a team doubles him, tries to take him away.
I literally cringed watching the second half of their game tonight. His teammates hesitated and looked away from him several times, knowing he’d just jack it up again. Shake it off and reload. It happens

Bet Lunardi decides to keep Tennessee as a #1 seed in his next update. Dude hates UNC so much.
Yeah but it matters zero what lunardi says. Nobody on committee remotely listens or answers to him.

I find it super hard to imagine if the teams have similar records and one team beat the other - both at full strength- how the committee puts the head to head loser on the one line?

Yeah but it matters zero what lunardi says. Nobody on committee remotely listens or answers to him.

I find it super hard to imagine if the teams have similar records and one team beat the other - both at full strength- how the committee puts the head to head loser on the one line?
Don't count on that. These talking heads do in fact create narratives and influence, going back to when ESPN single-handedly steered the Heisman to Gino Torreta, maybe the least deserving candidate ever.

Reactions: RP12 and TPFKAPFS
Don't count on that. These talking heads do in fact create narratives and influence, going back to when ESPN single-handedly steered the Heisman to Gino Torreta, maybe the least deserving candidate ever.
Love how people here create narratives before the final games are played, then they blame ESPN on creating false narratives.

I don’t even see the ESPN connection to the NCAA Tournament. It doesn’t have any media rights to it. Not TV or radio in the USA.

I guess the media really f’d over UNC the 8 times or whatever Roy was a 1 seed.

And i haven’t taken a look at bracketology at all so I don’t know if this is even possible with the regionally protected seeds. But if UNC is the 2 and Tennessee is the 1 in the same region, I’ll take that. I don’t think that’s a bad draw for UNC.

Love how people here create narratives before the final games are played, then they blame ESPN on creating false narratives.

I don’t even see the ESPN connection to the NCAA Tournament. It doesn’t have any media rights to it. Not TV or radio in the USA.

I guess the media really f’d over UNC the 8 times or whatever Roy was a 1 seed.

And i haven’t taken a look at bracketology at all so I don’t know if this is even possible with the regionally protected seeds. But if UNC is the 2 and Tennessee is the 1 in the same region, I’ll take that. I don’t think that’s a bad draw for UNC.
Yeah, humans on committees totally tune out media narratives. Riiight,.,
Seriously, GMAFB with that shit.

Yeah, humans on committees totally tune out media narratives. Riiight,.,
Seriously, GMAFB with that shit.
And human fans of all teams think the media hates their team.

I would favor UNC over Tennessee for a 1 seed because of the H2H win. But everyone makes it sound like it’s a blowout.

Our best non conference win apart from Tennessee is against an unimpressive Oklahoma team. Tennessee beat Illinois. Tennessee’s losses also came to Purdue and Kansas. We also lost to a pretty mediocre Nova team.

Tennessee had 0 terrible losses in conference. We had 1. Tennessee probably has the better conference resume since the SEC was reg season better.

Again, I would favor UNC because of H2H but to make it sound like it would be some grand conspiracy against UNC if Tennessee got a 1 is something else.

We’ll see how conference tourneys play out. But if UNC and Tennessee both win it, for me it’s like 55/45 UNC. Both have a great case for a 1.

And human fans of all teams think the media hates their team.

I would favor UNC over Tennessee for a 1 seed because of the H2H win. But everyone makes it sound like it’s a blowout.

Our best non conference win apart from Tennessee is against an unimpressive Oklahoma team. Tennessee beat Illinois. Tennessee’s losses also came to Purdue and Kansas. We also lost to a pretty mediocre Nova team.

Tennessee had 0 terrible losses in conference. We had 1. Tennessee probably has the better conference resume since the SEC was reg season better.

Again, I would favor UNC because of H2H but to make it sound like it would be some grand conspiracy against UNC if Tennessee got a 1 is something else.

We’ll see how conference tourneys play out. But if UNC and Tennessee both win it, for me it’s like 55/45 UNC. Both have a great case for a 1.
Not think. Know.
Obviously, nothing is set until after conference tournaments, but the premise I responded to was what about as of now.
And, as for now, we hung a c-note on TN and they just lost at home on senior night. Shouldn't even be a discussion.

Not think. Know.
Obviously, nothing is set until after conference tournaments, but the premise I responded to was what about as of now.
And, as for now, we hung a c-note on TN and they just lost at home on senior night. Shouldn't even be a discussion.
Btw. Bracket Matrix tracks bracketologist accuracy (teams picked correctly, teams seeded correctly, teams seeded within 1-2 seeds correctly).

Joe Lunardi ranks as the 97th most accurate (out of 174) in his accuracy over the last 5 years.

DAMN ANTI UNC MEDIA THAT CARRIES ANTI UNC INFLUENCE FOR NCAA TOURNAMENT SEEDING!!!!

Unexpected nice strong finish/dunk Wash. That was Brice Johnson like!

Flop is a joke. He finally hits a shot and starts yelling all day. Never seen a guy with 4 fouls allowed to play like he has 0 for over 3 min…. Well except for other dook players. I love how they didn’t call a foul or review his trip but TV Teddy went over and had a discussion with him. What was that conversation…. “Hey we are trying to help you out but if you keep doing that I will eventually have to call you”.

Bacot WTF man I had a nice 6 leg SGP that included you getting 12+ pts with 8+ RBs, you are sitting on 9 pts with with almost 11 min to go and don’t score another point. Even had UNC ML in that parlay. In your defense they didn’t call anything when you were getting the crap bet out you. But come on finish those bunnies! Oh well nice victory!

This game will for me be known as Ryan's Song with respect to Ryan O'Neal and Ali Mcgraw, this was Ryan's swan song for regular season play for his career, he said good bye to Carmeron! He has been up and down all season shooting wise but last night he was on fire and we needed it. He has worked hard to become a solid defender all season, been very vocal out there, showed great leadership, and he saved his best for last!

The refs allowed a LOT of physical play, after running thru RJ I began to wonder exactly what Flipperkwalski had to do to pick up that 5th foul, I guess we will never know? That guy has great talent but he has a bush league streak in him that is very Laetner like. Clearly duke made an effort after half time to get the flipper flopper more involved, in doing so McCain went quiet for a long stretch. That trip on Ingram is just one example of this kid's bush league traits. They straight up robbed Cadeau on that trey they called a 2 even AFTER reviewing it. I didn't like they called Bacot for shoving off and yes he did and yes it was a foul but they had allowed that from both teams al game yet tagged Bacot for it late? Just running over RJ for what may have been flipper flop's 10th foul and no call and no make up for any of those? The refs did let both teams play and not get whistle happy and I do prefer that to the quick whistles but some things just have to be called and duke benefitted constantly from the slow whistle. The trip should be reviewed by the league office and action taken but you know they will take no action against a dukie.

Ingram, man, that kid played such a good game, he may not have shot great but he was every where, big time rebounding game AGAIN, hit critical free throws late, and just put in work. Seth was really good and you just can't look at the box score to see it, when he comes in a scorer goes quiet, what he chips in with points is gravy! JWit with 8 huge boards and just hard solid play/work, really happy for him. Bacot was more focused on the defensive end and I don't think he had a first half foul? Flipper flopper held him all night, clear hook & hold and what was it called, a common foul?

Credit to RJ, he just played within the flow and didn't try to force things, the attention they gave to RJ left Ryan clean looks, just shows the un-selfish nature of this team. JWash gave us really good minutes, that was a man's stick back in the deep paint with dukies all around him.

But yeah, this was Ryan's song and he was in tune!

We wanted this game SO MUCH MORE than dook did and played like it for the full forty
minutes. We executed our game plan effectively on both ends on the floor and rode
the coat tails of Cormac Ryan’s career night to ruin Mike and Mickey’s date night for
the third straight time.
This just never gets old and will age like fine wine on the shelf of Carolina victories
(along with the ACC Champions Trophy that we broke out on Franklin Street again) versus the blued evils.

As an aside, be honest, is there anything more fun than going into Hansbrough Indoor Stadium
and rubbing it in the face of the dook student section? Face-painted, cartoon costumed, cheer sheet
yelling buffoons! And how about the dozen guys taking the night off from their jobs as Williamsburg
tour guides in their powdered wigs? 🤣😂🤭😲😅🥲

GDTBATH, GDTBCR!

If Ryan can channel that beast mode he showed last n8ght into 6 straight games we could be even more deadly. Hope he can reflect Manek and leave a king. With RJ mugged and hacked all night, and Mando having a meh scoring night, Ryan gave us a hold my beer performance. Glad we have that 25 year old kid on our team

Btw. Bracket Matrix tracks bracketologist accuracy (teams picked correctly, teams seeded correctly, teams seeded within 1-2 seeds correctly).

Joe Lunardi ranks as the 97th most accurate (out of 174) in his accuracy over the last 5 years.

DAMN ANTI UNC MEDIA THAT CARRIES ANTI UNC INFLUENCE FOR NCAA TOURNAMENT SEEDING!!!!
BTW, :rolleyes:

Id rather take a 2 in the South with Tennessee as a 1 and first 2 games in Charlotte than be a 1 seed in LA with Arizona as the 2. Whoever gets the 2 in Boston with UCONN is getting the shaft. Hopefully its Dook

I think there are 3 clear 1 seeds at this moment and 3 very similar teams, with almost identical merits vying for the last 1 seed. I would have no complaints with UNC, Zona, or Tennesee getting it if selection Sunday was today. No "stolen" "biased" 1 seed complaints by any of the fan bases would be valid in my opinion.

I agree that if UT is the last 1 seed, we have little to complain about, but Zona????

I told a friend before the game that we would have to survive playing 5 v 8 and I said at half time that Floptripsky would have to commit murder to foul out! It is unbelievable how many "lucky" breaks puke gets! How could aqnyone look at EC's shot and say there was enough to call it a 2. How could anoyone wqtch Flopsy plow over RJ and not call a foul? How can you trip Ingram right in front of the ref and that same ref not call a flagrant 1???

I called it before the game and it is true: Few things are more satisfying than watching those face painted, cheer sheet reading, no basketball knowledge having punk arses as it slowly dawns on them that UNC is their Daddy once again!

BUT: UNC is so much tougher than pukie none of that mattered! We showed peeps we are able to defend and score with the best of them. We gave notice that you might be able to shut down one of us, but you have no shot at shutting down all of us and you just don't know which one will explode each night!

I agree that if UT is the last 1 seed, we have little to complain about, but Zona????

I told a friend before the game that we would have to survive playing 5 v 8 and I said at half time that Floptripsky would have to commit murder to foul out! It is unbelievable how many "lucky" breaks puke gets! How could aqnyone look at EC's shot and say there was enough to call it a 2. How could anoyone wqtch Flopsy plow over RJ and not call a foul? How can you trip Ingram right in front of the ref and that same ref not call a flagrant 1???

I called it before the game and it is true: Few things are more satisfying than watching those face painted, cheer sheet reading, no basketball knowledge having punk arses as it slowly dawns on them that UNC is their Daddy once again!

BUT: UNC is so much tougher than pukie none of that mattered! We showed peeps we are able to defend and score with the best of them. We gave notice that you might be able to shut down one of us, but you have no shot at shutting down all of us and you just don't know which one will explode each night!
If Zona is a 1 I would want to be the #2 in their bracket. Not the other 3. Can we make that happen please?

Zona played a very tough non conference schedule. They are 8-3 in quad 1. We are 7-4, Tennesee 7-6. We are behind both in the NET and Kempom. Not by much though.

With the pod system or whatever we will play the 1st two rounds basically at home either way as a top 2 seed. I'm OK with it being a 1 or a 2. Going to be similar matchups.

Lunardi and the polls love Tennessee.. when Tennessee lost 3 in a row they were still high up in the rankings (even though they lost to good teams). And now with 7 losses and a loss to UNC, they should not be ahead of us when we have 6 losses and beat them. Same with Arizona, they have 7 losses to our 6. Our resume is good enough to keep us above either team without hearing any excuses.

Zona played a very tough non conference schedule. They are 8-3 in quad 1. We are 7-4, Tennesee 7-6. We are behind both in the NET and Kempom. Not by much though.

With the pod system or whatever we will play the 1st two rounds basically at home either way as a top 2 seed. I'm OK with it being a 1 or a 2. Going to be similar matchups.
NET is a joke.. who is to say these teams in the SEC are better than the ones in the ACC? That's just opinion based. Last time I checked, we tied in the ACC vs SEC challenge. ACC could potentially get 6 teams in this year and would be more if they didn't hate our conference so much... keep hating..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT