ADVERTISEMENT

For the Fedora haters - Which ACC coaches would you swap him with?

ticket2ride04

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
May 13, 2004
Not a Fedora hater, but Dabo is the only for sure, can’t miss coach in the ACC. I’ve soured on Jimbo (yes, I know he left) after the collapse this year. He’s really only won with a generational type talent at QB.

Probably would swap out with Richt, though he’s probably a bit overrated.

Dabo, Jimbo (if he counts still), and Richt for sure. Fuente and Mendenhall are trending in a better direction, and probably Petrino (oh, but he's a meanie!). Based on head to head record I guess I have to throw Cutcliffe in the mix as well.

Dabo, Richt and Fuente for sure. Don't know enough about Mendenhall, but he seems to have UVA headed in the right direction.

richt or dabo, that’s it for me.

i’d be more inclined to change assistants though...i don’t mind fedora being in charge of the program, it’s the other s i can’t get behind.

Reactions: Realfreedom
I've heard rumors that Dabo would be the heavy favorite to take the Alabama job when Saban leaves.

Reactions: dgheel57
I've heard rumors that Dabo would be the heavy favorite to take the Alabama job when Saban leaves.

heard those rumors also...imo, he’s got his alabama now...if he wins this year, he should retire there...they’ll pay him whatever he wants and give him whatever he wants to hire his staff.

Reactions: ClemsonCalhoun
heard those rumors also...imo, he’s got his alabama now...if he wins this year, he should retire there...they’ll pay him whatever he wants and give him whatever he wants to hire his staff.
The coach who replaces Saban will be compared to both Bryant and Saban, from day one. That could be Hell on anyone. The worst case for Dabo would be to leave Clemson, where he is already a Legend and truly beloved and respected, and have Bama fans resent him because he fails to win a National championship within 4 or 5 years.

UNC football is not in a position to take any successful HC from schools like Clemson, FSU, VT, Miami. I'd take Dabo over any coach in the country right now, in part because Saban is much older, but as that is impossible, it doesn't matter.

Save in this sense: unless you are happy with UNC football always looking up, then you must demand a coach who can beat out the above 4 programs, as well as GT. And no UNC coach can come close to doing that halfway consistently if he cannot dominate Dook and Moo.

If we were restricted to ACC HCs, things are a bit less obvious. Petrino would put up nice offensive numbers at UNC, and when he can get a top D, his teams can win truly big. But his baggage is just too much for UNC.

Clawson is a possibility, because he knows how to rebuild and build up from what he inherits. He coached at 3 schools before Wake and won a least 1 league championship at each. Clawson at a state school might prove to be the real deal. And he is a class act.

Mendenhall has UVA turned around. He inherited a dumpster fire, and in his 2nd season has the Hoos in a bowl. He coached at BYU 11 years and never had a losing team. He had 5 teams that were double digit in Wins. His last BYU team won 9.

Nor did Mendenhall inherit a winner at BYU. The last 3 teams before Mendenhall took over were: 5-7, 4-8, 5-6.

The current coach in the ACC I would most want as UNC HC, with a caveat, is Brent Venables. The caveat being that Kevin Wilson be his OC. Yes, I would take the uncertainty of a 1st time HC, because Venables may be the best all around DC in the country, and now he knows the ACC.

richt and dabo for me too

and also, not everyone who questions some of the things Fedora does is a Fedora hater

Reactions: Archer2
I would be fine with any coach who at the very least can beat Duke on a consistent basis.

Screen_Shot_2017_03_31_at_3.39.09_PM.0.png

Reactions: TarHeelMark
I don't believe Dabo will leave Clemson for Alabama, one reason due to what was said above. You do not want to follow in the foot steps of a legend. Dabo is building his own empire in Clemson, and he ain't finished yet. Like Dabo says, "The best is yet to come." Clemson is nearly recruiting at the level of Alabama. I said "nearly" because that is a level almost impossible to match. Now Georgia is pushing the envelope. Since Clemson cannot quite recruit the overall talent that Alabama has, they have to counter with good coaching, preparation, and especially scheme.

That being said, at the state of the UNC program, any coach coming there would face a rebuilding of monumental proportions. When I looked at UNC's recruiting class, even knowing how bad your record was this year, it is shocking to see so many 2 stars and 3 stars making up your class. If that continues something is not done soon, it will take years to fix the problem beyond where UNC is now. If you keep Fedora and your recruiting classes continue to be this low, you'll be competing with the Wofford's of the world.

Army just completed their second 10 win season.......ever
And while that's awesome for them, Army completed 1 out of 4 passes for 6 freaking yards in that bowl game! Seriously, who wants to see that style offense at UNC? If you think attendance is bad now, imagine how low it will go when the Heels throw 5 passes per game. Ugh... no thanks.

McCauley gained most of his 1,720 on option plays.
I get that. But the game has evolved tremendously in the last 40+ years. Are you seriously wanting the Heels to run an option?

There's a reason that armed forces teams usually revert to that style offense but other than GT, I can't think of another P5 that runs it. I for one can't stand that Paul Johnson system. I think the majority of Tar Heel fans would not want to see that either.

Reactions: tarheel0910
McCauley gained most of his 1,720 on option plays.
So what is your expectation for UNC football? The triple option isn't going to win a national championship, so obviously that's not your expectation. Is it an ACC championship? GT did that once, but it was probably during the worst year of ACC football ever. The chances of that happening again are remote. If your goal is to get to 6-8 wins a year then it might work, but that's what we are doing now. Why should we change to a product that no one wants to see without getting better results?

Reactions: TarHeelMark
So what is your expectation for UNC football? The triple option isn't going to win a national championship, so obviously that's not your expectation. Is it an ACC championship? GT did that once, but it was probably during the worst year of ACC football ever. The chances of that happening again are remote. If your goal is to get to 6-8 wins a year then it might work, but that's what we are doing now. Why should we change to a product that no one wants to see without getting better results?
UNC is never going to have the cache to recruit a big and deep defensive team. For those that think otherwise, aka yourself this:

Do you ever see a team like Bama or UGa winning a national title in basketball?

In light of that, Fedora has proven he can recruit and coach up an offense that can run with any team in the country. I believe Fedora can roll out average/good teams consistently and once every 3 years or so make a run at winning the ACC title.

For me, that’s about as much as I can expect from UNC football.

Reactions: UNC71-00
Well I know this is just a forum for fans to give their opinions, but for at least one more year we still have the Fed. I still have some faith that we will bounce back next year. But if we end up with another 2-3 wins, then it's time for him to go.

UNC football is not in a position to take any successful HC from schools like Clemson, FSU, VT, Miami. I'd take Dabo over any coach in the country right now, in part because Saban is much older, but as that is impossible, it doesn't matter.

Save in this sense: unless you are happy with UNC football always looking up, then you must demand a coach who can beat out the above 4 programs, as well as GT. And no UNC coach can come close to doing that halfway consistently if he cannot dominate Dook and Moo.

If we were restricted to ACC HCs, things are a bit less obvious. Petrino would put up nice offensive numbers at UNC, and when he can get a top D, his teams can win truly big. But his baggage is just too much for UNC.

Clawson is a possibility, because he knows how to rebuild and build up from what he inherits. He coached at 3 schools before Wake and won a least 1 league championship at each. Clawson at a state school might prove to be the real deal. And he is a class act.

Mendenhall has UVA turned around. He inherited a dumpster fire, and in his 2nd season has the Hoos in a bowl. He coached at BYU 11 years and never had a losing team. He had 5 teams that were double digit in Wins. His last BYU team won 9.

Nor did Mendenhall inherit a winner at BYU. The last 3 teams before Mendenhall took over were: 5-7, 4-8, 5-6.

The current coach in the ACC I would most want as UNC HC, with a caveat, is Brent Venables. The caveat being that Kevin Wilson be his OC. Yes, I would take the uncertainty of a 1st time HC, because Venables may be the best all around DC in the country, and now he knows the ACC.

You haters can say what you want,but we had that type of coach had UNC stuck with Butch.We also could've had Richt also,but no...Ole Bunting was our savior.Admit it,this school has made some dumb moves when it comes to football.Not hating on Fedora,but he needs to concentrate more on getting the right staff to build the defense .Scoring 60 and giving up 55 isn't gonna work against the Clemson's of the world.

You haters can say what you want,but we had that type of coach had UNC stuck with Butch.We also could've had Richt also,but no...Ole Bunting was our savior.Admit it,this school has made some dumb moves when it comes to football.Not hating on Fedora,but he needs to concentrate more on getting the right staff to build the defense .Scoring 60 and giving up 55 isn't gonna work against the Clemson's of the world.
Technically speaking scoring 60 against Clemson while holding them to 55 would work.

Reactions: uncboy10
This year Oklahoma is doing well with a high power offense and a so so defense - but their so so defense is probably higher rated than any of Fed's defenses. Maybe they will win it all this year, we'll know in a couple of weeks. Bama, Clemson and Georgia all have good defenses and also have good offenses. I prefer that model. Our defense has to improve if we're going to be a serious team on a consistent basis. Watching us try to win each week 60 - 55 is more exciting than watching us try to win 10 - 7 but it's really the same thing when you get down to it. I would settle for trying to win 35 - 14 each week - and I think it gives you a better chance to

I get that. But the game has evolved tremendously in the last 40+ years. Are you seriously wanting the Heels to run an option?

There's a reason that armed forces teams usually revert to that style offense but other than GT, I can't think of another P5 that runs it. I for one can't stand that Paul Johnson system. I think the majority of Tar Heel fans would not want to see that either.

Yep! I think the

Since the ACC was founded we have won or shared the Conference Championship a total of times ('63, 71, 72, 77, 80).
My goal would be to win 8-10 games a year and challenge for a division every 3-4 years, and a championship every 5-7 years, based on a strong defense and being able to control the football.

Why should we change the product?
Larry's style is flashy but not very intense/exciting (if it were we would have better attendance).
Our games now take way too long to play
Our offense is great when it works but places too much burden on the defense when it doesn't. Maybe you don't prefer to run the football, but I do and obviously Carolina has a history of running the ball which gives the fans more opportunity to engage in the game.

Everybody has preferences. The most disturbing thing about Larry's style of play is that it has never "caught the imagination" of the average Carolina fan and attendance and enthusiasm has suffered. I am for any change that will get it back.

Yep! I think the

Since the ACC was founded we have won or shared the Conference Championship a total of times ('63, 71, 72, 77, 80).
My goal would be to win 8-10 games a year and challenge for a division every 3-4 years, and a championship every 5-7 years, based on a strong defense and being able to control the football.

Larry's style is flashy but not very intense/exciting (if it were we would have better attendance).
Our offense is great when it works but places too much burden on the defense when it doesn't. Maybe you don't prefer to run the football, but I do and obviously Carolina has a history of running the ball which gives the fans more opportunity to engage in the game.

Everybody has preferences. The most disturbing thing about Larry's style of play is that it has never "caught the imagination" of the average Carolina fan and attendance and enthusiasm has suffered. I am for any change that will get it back.

It is utterly moronic to suggest that switching from a spread offense to an option offense would result in greater attendance and fan enthusiasm.

Attendance was poor long before Fedora came here, so your logic is completely flawed anyways.

I'm sure watching the same three plays over and over again every week would really "capture the imagination" of fans. They'd be imagining how to kill themselves so they never have to watch that boring crap again.

It is utterly moronic to suggest that switching from a spread offense to an option offense would result in greater attendance and fan enthusiasm.

Attendance was poor long before Fedora came here, so your logic is completely flawed anyways.

I'm sure watching the same three plays over and over again every week would really "capture the imagination" of fans. They'd be imagining how to kill themselves so they never have to watch that boring crap again.
If it were 1971, you'd be dead wrong. Option offenses (wishbone and veer) so dominated that even stodgy Power I teams added option plays. And fans loved it.

But the last hurrah of option offense capturing a large number of fans hearts may have been SMU with Lance McIlhenny at QB and Dickerson and James alternating at RB. Fans and sportswriters both loved seeing how close to the ground McIlhenny could be and still make a perfect pitch.

If you are going to have a head coach today based on hope to draw the most fans, to the stadium and to TV sets, with offense, then you need a coach who runs a hardcore passing game that also features major RB talent that gets the rock.

Yep! I think the

Fedora and his offense indeed have never caught the imagination of anyone. They do not inspire and rile up existing fans, and they do not draw new fans. Nor do they draw top recruits in significant numbers, not even at the positions most assume would be most easy to recruit well: QB, RB, WR.

The Fedora offense is terribly limited in that it is a mess inside the Red Zone - from refusal to snap under center even at our own half yard line; and from wanting/expecting the QB to run too much, and thus from under-using RBs, and thus from poor RB development and recruiting, and thus from a focus on 'gimmicky' OL blocking, which can be a big help in QB draws but a rotten egg on traditional RB run plays and on traditional pass plays.

This year Oklahoma is doing well with a high power offense and a so so defense - but their so so defense is probably higher rated than any of Fed's defenses. Maybe they will win it all this year, we'll know in a couple of weeks. Bama, Clemson and Georgia all have good defenses and also have good offenses. I prefer that model. Our defense has to improve if we're going to be a serious team on a consistent basis. Watching us try to win each week 60 - 55 is more exciting than watching us try to win 10 - 7 but it's really the same thing when you get down to it. I would settle for trying to win 35 - 14 each week - and I think it gives you a better chance to
The OU so-so D definitely has more talent than the UNC D. Equally important is that OU has much more RB talent than UNC and an offense that uses the RBs much more effectively. That helps ball control and time of possession, which help the D.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT