ADVERTISEMENT

Garrison Brooks...

She knows "alot" and they(MSU) know that she knows alot.
Lol, wow.

I'm wondering if we should touch this kid and mom.
o_O
I wouldn't worry too much. Her ex and Howland tried to pull a fast one --- I'm even hearing the kid was guilted by the claim his dad would lose his job if he didn't go there. Honestly, I have no worrries here. We have nothing to hide. Momma just looking out.

He is a national composite #134. Call him a 3 or a 4 and then name me the UNC players in that range who were big contributors. We would be LMAO if dook was taking players in this range.

Use a ranking beside 247. Scout, ESPN, and Rivals all have him as a 4 *. He was also the main target we were going after before Huffman and Manley.

What I LMAO at is this slaving to rankings. People that have actually watched him have given positive reviews about him. Is he an elite OAD prospect that people yearn for? No. Can he still make an impact on next year's team? Absolutely

I also LMAO at the fact that Dook got bounced in the first week with the type of talent some of you pine for.

Use a ranking beside 247. Scout, ESPN, and Rivals all have him as a 4 *. He was also the main target we were going after before Huffman and Manley.
No. we missed on our "main" targets

What I LMAO at is this slaving to rankings. People that have actually watched him have given positive reviews about him. Is he an elite OAD prospect that people yearn for? No. Can he still make an impact on next year's team? Absolutel
You didn't answer my question. Who was the last player rated #134 that made an impact at UNC? Not counting Luke..

I also LMAO at the fact that Dook got bounced in the first week with the type of talent some of you pine for.
I don't "pine" for dook talent. Give me the guys ranked 15 thru 55. Roy can excel with these type guys.

What I LMAO at is this slaving to rankings. People that have actually watched him have given positive reviews about him. Is he an elite OAD prospect that people yearn for? No. Can he still make an impact on next year's team? Absolutely

Well said

247 has him as a 4 star. You do understand what composite means? Right? 25-137 are 4 stars in basketball...that's a lot of 4 stars.

No. we missed on our "main" targets

Either you paid zero attention to this recruiting cycle or don't know how our recruiting has works. We were never going to build a class of top notch 5 * recruits like Kentucky. At least not this class. And anyone that thought that is naive.

The consensus was always at 1 Elite Big, along with 1-2 multi-year guys. Brooks and Stokes were the 2 top guys for the latter category. So yes, we missed the elite target, but Brooks was our "main" target, nonetheless.

You didn't answer my question. Who was the last player rated #134 that made an impact at UNC? Not counting Luke..

Lol I like how you automatically exclude Luke because it renders your point null. Maye is the prime example. Our own fans tried to claim he was a "wasted scholarship". Meanwhile, he's one of the reasons we have a NCAA title. Brooks is much better off than Maye was at this position.

That wasn't even a question. That was a request that you thought you knew the answer.

I don't "pine" for dook talent. Give me the guys ranked 15 thru 55. Roy can excel with these type guys.

only part of your post I can agree on.

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
247 has him as a 4 star. You do understand what composite means? Right? 25-137 are 4 stars in basketball...that's a lot of 4 stars.

Yes, and 247 is the only website that carries the Composite. You act like you haven't been mentioned for apologist attitude towards 247 before.

Regardless, you claimed we have enough 3 * Centers in the same class and Brooks is not a 3 *. We'd be better off with him than holding a scholarship for some unnamed big in 2018 that ends up elsewhere. Especially considering the talent in 2018 for bigs is slim pickings. Really not this difficult.

He is a national composite #134. Call him a 3 or a 4 and then name me the UNC players in that range who were big contributors. We would be LMAO if dook was taking players in this range.

As of right now he is "better" (by recruiting stars) than our first big off the bench, or if Tony leaves one of our starters. Not sure if Roy has interest anymore, but if he does I have to think this is a no-brainer for both sides.

Like you, I'm still perplexed as to why top bigs are so scared of UNC. Even with Luke's emergence, there is a starting 4 spot staring an elite player in the face. Instead they'd rather be the third option off the bench at Kentucky. Even mid-level guys, we were going after Nate Watson for awhile, and then he decided he'd rather play at Providence?

I would be more then surprised if someone from Brooks camp hasn't contacted Coach William's to gauge Carolina's interest.

Yes, and 247 is the only website that carries the Composite. You act like you haven't been mentioned for apologist attitude towards 247 before.

Regardless, you claimed we have enough 3 * Centers in the same class and Brooks is not a 3 *. We'd be better off with him than holding a scholarship for some unnamed big in 2018 that ends up elsewhere. Especially considering the talent in 2018 for bigs is slim pickings. Really not this difficult.
I think his point is that Brooks is right on the edge of being a 3-star, which starts at the #138 recruit. While technically they all get the blanket title of 4-star, we all know there is a big difference between #26 Jalek Felton and #134 Brooks. Technically you are right RoseHeel, but looking a little deeper Brooks is a low-level recruit for UNC.

That said, he may still be a take.

David noel was a 4 and a 3* reshon terry.... Wes Miller, and Justin watts were walk ons.... Do I need to keep going or can we agree that maybe you shouldn't have said that...Oh I forgot about Nate Britt was. 3* when he finally arrived on UNC's campus tokato was barely in the 100...

I think his point is that Brooks is right on the edge of being a 3-star, which starts at the #138 recruit. While technically they all get the blanket title of 4-star, we all know there is a big difference between #26 Jalek Felton and #134 Brooks. Technically you are right RoseHeel, but looking a little deeper Brooks is a low-level recruit for UNC.

Guys just watch his tape. The kid is a hooper. He's much more skilled than every big on our current roster except Bradley. He has a Brice ceiling. He's aggressive. He's built long and strong. He's coordinated. He'd be our first big off the bench unless Huffman really surprises.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
Lol I like how you automatically exclude Luke because it renders your point null. Maye is the prime example. Our own fans tried to claim he was a "wasted scholarship". Meanwhile, he's one of the reasons we have a NCAA title. Brooks is much better off than Maye was at this position.

That wasn't even a question. That was a request that you thought you knew the answer

I was a Luke supporter from day one and when I voiced support for a scholly offer to him , I was basically laughed off the board. I came back with "no one else was knocking down our door" but was still laughed at. Maye is a special case , he is a legacy , he grew up loving UNC.

As of right now he is "better" (by recruiting stars) than our first big off the bench, or if Tony leaves one of our starters. Not sure if Roy has interest anymore, but if he does I have to think this is a no-brainer for both sides.

Like you, I'm still perplexed as to why top bigs are so scared of UNC. Even with Luke's emergence, there is a starting 4 spot staring an elite player in the face. Instead they'd rather be the third option off the bench at Kentucky. Even mid-level guys, we were going after Nate Watson for awhile, and then he decided he'd rather play at Providence?
Roy stopped recruiting Nate Watson.

I will trust Roy's opinion on this over anyone on this board!!!! If Roy wants the young man....then I want the young man....I mean after all......Roy did just win a National Championship! I think the man knows just a little bit more then most of us do!!!

David noel was a 4 and a 3* reshon terry.... Wes Miller, and Justin watts were walk ons.... Do I need to keep going or can we agree that maybe you shouldn't have said that...Oh I forgot about Nate Britt was. 3* when he finally arrived on UNC's campus tokato was barely in the 100...
We didn't recruit Noel , Miller and Watts in the same class. Miller career average 3.8 , Watts career average 1.4 , Noel career 6.9 (12.9 senior year) and Terry the best of the group career 7.5 (almost double figures in junior and senior seasons). Reyshawn Terry was a national composite #57 so his comparison is invalid. Noel was a big time FB prospect and was never ranked as a basketball prospect. Tokoto national composite #67 relatively high 4*. Nate did fall to national composite #121 and don't forget all the abuse he has taken on this board......school is out.

Furthermore, bigs in 2018 are in slim pickings. A 2 year Brooks would work well for us.

How are bigs in 2018 slim pickin's? Silvio De Sousa , Nazreon Reid , Moses Brown , Emmitt Williams as far as I can tell we never seriously recruited any of these. We have looked at McCormack and Miles Norris but that appears to be it.

Could we not get some kids on campus, give Roy & Company time to work with them BEFORE condemning them?

Rankings be danged. Some of the same ones complaining are some of the same ones who yell, "why didn't Roy go after him" when they show out playing us.

Just give them a chance.

Thanks for making my point. We will need 1 of the duo or trio to be an impact player or either change our offense to wing oriented.

No, as usual you miss the point. :p

Bet we get some very good surprises out of the bunch. There is a good reason others wanted them.

You didn't answer my question. Who was the last player rated #134 that made an impact at UNC? Not counting Luke.

Heck - count Luke. 1/2 as a Fr. and 5/4 as a so. I think he will develop into a fine player and maybe one of this years bigs will too, but don't expect a heck of a lot until 2019/2020.

CC

A while back there were a few of us who really wanted Brooks, even though we had Huff and Manley on board. A lot of others here said they would rather save that scholarship for another year and just focus on Knox.

Sounds like more people want Brooks now.

My concern with Roy's recruiting of bigs in the 2017 class was not who he offered but who he didn't offer.

Roy extended a lot of offers to bigs in the top 30:

03 Bamba
04 Carter
13 Washington
20 Vanderbilt
29 Tillman

Plus a couple of tall SFs in the top 20:

08 Knox
17 Wilkes

But he offered nobody in the 30-120 range.

I don't know why. Maybe he didn't like the bigs in that range. But I suspect the real reasons were

1. He thought he would succeed with at least 1 or 2 of those top players now that it would be clear to everybody that there are starting spots available; and

2. He wanted to send a message to those top players that he wasn't recruiting other fairly high-ranked bigs who might fill the starting spots.

That's not a bad strategy, imo. But by the time it was clear it wasn't working, most of the next tier of bigs were gone or we were too far behind on them.

So, anyway, Brooks is free. I hope he comes on board here.

He looks more ready than Huff or Manley.

With 3 lower-ranked guys on the squad, the odds improve that at least 1 of them will be ready to go or that, combined, they can give us starter minutes.

We still need Tony to return.

But he offered nobody in the 30-120 range.

I don't know why. Maybe he didn't like the bigs in that range.

I honestly think it's that simple and we're overthinking it.

Roy has offered bigs in that range very regularly in the past so it's not a strategy thing. I really just think he offers guys who he thinks will make an impact on the program and/or be a good fit for us.

He just happened to not see any in that range this class. I'm done questioning Roy (outside of the FREAKING Britt, Theo, Seventh, Maye, Bradley lineup!) when it comes to anything. 3 natty's in 12 years, Roy can do whatever he pleases in my book.

So, anyway, Brooks is free. I hope he comes on board here.

He looks more ready than Huff or Manley.

With 3 lower-ranked guys on the squad, the odds improve that at least 1 of them will be ready to go or that, combined, they can give us starter minutes.

We still need Tony to return.
Good points all. I'll start with the last:

1. Yes, we need Tony to return, and in all honesty Tony NEEDS to return. There are some disingenuous people trying to get in the Bradleys' ears right about now, but there is no legitimate reason nor long-term advantage to him leaving. Hopefully his experience in the Combine will snap them back to reality. If he returns he will be a starter, likely a star and make all the watch-lists for Bigs, and more importantly for his future, will get WAY more development in Chapel Hill than anything he'll get as a seldom-used rookie in the NBA, or even playing in D-League.

2. I said from he outset that Brooks was the most ready of the three Bigs we were recruiting to contribute here early. He runs the floor, protects the rim, has a variety of ways of getting the ball in the basket down low (not just dunks) and sports a nice natural face-up touch. He can play the 4 or 5 without too much adjustment. I've heard him called "soft", but I don't see that.

3. As for the other Big three, I stand by my assessment that Huffman is the biggest "project" of the three. He has a limited offensive repertoire and will likely only play the 5 early. The good news is that he is a raw physical specimen --- sort of in the mold of some of Louisville's recent BIgs --- who also has a good attitude and many would say a whole lot of upside. That upside however, will take a couple of years to show.

4. Manley, again, I'll just reiterate that the thoughts on him were that he would have easily progressed thru HS to a high 4-5* if not for the catastrophic injuries. Hell, a kid with that kind of size combined with his hand-eye coordination couldn't hardly help being a Top-50 recruit. In that sense alone, Roy got a steal. The question with him will be how ready is he physically to compete at such a demanding level? Who knows?... maybe we'll luck up and he's 100% and has a good Summer and he'll contribute from Day-1... or maybe he also will take a while.

Therefore, because of the uncertainty found in points 3 and 4 above, Brooks may still be a take. If (God forbid) Bradley goes, he's a no-brainer take... but even with Tony coming to his senses, I can see the rationale. Garrison and mom have expressed the hope we're still interested. Lessee what Roy has in mind...

Still hoping to hear someone's take on why Roy has not been reaching out to more bigs in the 2018 class (that we know of). Why do you think that is?

Still hoping to hear someone's take on why Roy has not been reaching out to more bigs in the 2018 class (that we know of). Why do you think that is?

I think we all have no idea exactly what Roy has been up to, but should trust him to know best what we need and get it done.

The main point I was trying to make is that he was our main target, which is what he denied. People put way too much stock into rankings. If he can come in and play, that's all I'm concerned with. As long as he can come in and contribute, what does it matter?

His other point is that we should "hold the scholarship" for someone down the road, so I'd like to know who he thinks that will be? 2018 class is very weak for bigs. Not to mention we haven't even offered any yet. 2019? Brooks would be a Junior, who knows how well he could play by then. Point is, We don't know what will happen down the road. I'd rather be prepared now than wait for some prospect that may not even happen.

And I know this is besides the point, but Jalek is on the very top cusp of a 4 * while Brooks is on the bottom cusp. By most accounts, Jalek can be considered a 5 *. Not the best comparison.

I was a Luke supporter from day one and when I voiced support for a scholly offer to him , I was basically laughed off the board. I came back with "no one else was knocking down our door" but was still laughed at. Maye is a special case , he is a legacy , he grew up loving UNC.

How are bigs in 2018 slim pickin's? Silvio De Sousa , Nazreon Reid , Moses Brown , Emmitt Williams as far as I can tell we never seriously recruited any of these. We have looked at McCormack and Miles Norris but that appears to be it.

That's my point. The last offer we handed out in 2018 was months ago. If this ends up yet another wild recruiting period for guys that want to take us for a ride, I'd rather have some guys waiting in the wing in case they decide to jerk us around and go elsewhere. Guys like Brooks.

De Sousa says we've been one of the schools working the hardest. I hope that he is our next target. Outside of that, we don't have many inroads right now.

The main point I was trying to make is that he was our main target, which is what he denied. People put way too much stock into rankings. If he can come in and play, that's all I'm concerned with. As long as he can come in and contribute, what does it matter?

His other point is that we should "hold the scholarship" for someone down the road, so I'd like to know who he thinks that will be? 2018 class is very weak for bigs. Not to mention we haven't even offered any yet. 2019? Brooks would be a Junior, who knows how well he could play by then. Point is, We don't know what will happen down the road. I'd rather be prepared now than wait for some prospect that may not even happen.

And I know this is besides the point, but Jalek is on the very top cusp of a 4 * while Brooks is on the bottom cusp. By most accounts, Jalek can be considered a 5 *. Not the best comparison.
Yeah, Jalek not being ranked a 5* by someone is almost as silly as Berry not being given 5* by some suspect services. #Idiots

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT