ADVERTISEMENT

GG decommitting?

His twitter page being private is pretty telling. I recall Kerwin or his mother doing that right before he transferred.
It's in protected mode where only his followers can see it. He did that earlier today when he was deleting the infamous retweets. Then he set it back to normal. I wonder why he's put it back in protected mode? All of his many Tar Heel followers can still see the page.

I don't like this at all. This stuff RARELY happens randomly. I'm guessing if he doesn't squash this first thing in the morning, it's because it has legs.

That would really suck.

I don't like this at all. This stuff RARELY happens randomly. I'm guessing if he doesn't squash this first thing in the morning, it's because it has legs.

That would really suck.
Twitter account is still set to private now for what it’s worth… if he was going to scrub certain UNC things it wouldn’t take half a day to do it. But on the flip side he hasn’t posted anything anywhere dispelling any of the rumors. So maybe as people have suggested 2 weeks ago it was not an option. Then he dominated the camp and he’s got people in his ear saying just get to the nba now. Maybe g league unite is an option.

Most of us would rather UNC basketball be better than ok.

GG is our best commitment in more than a decade. Without him UNC basketball will have signed 1 single 5-star recruit across 3 recruiting classes (2021, 2022, 2023.)
That may be true, but we're not uk or duke. We've been to the NC game 3 times in the last decade without a boatload of often overranked freshmen.
UNC will be ok...

That may be true, but we're not uk or duke. We've been to the NC game 3 times in the last decade without a boatload of often overranked freshmen.
UNC will be ok...
We had multiple 5-star recruits in each of those championship appearances. The single time we won the championship in your examples, we started four 5-star recruits (Berry, Pinson, Jackson, Hicks), had a McDonald's All American at Center (Meeks), and had a fifth 5-star recruit coming off the bench (Bradley.)

We had zero 5-star recruits and zero McDonald's All Americans in 2021 and 2022. 2023 was/is our chance to start recruiting at a UNC level again. But GG is a huge part of that. Not only would he be the most talented recruit we've gotten in over a decade. He was our chance to finally get back to putting players into the top 5 picks of the NBA draft, putting our NBA pipeline back to the level we all grew up with. That Worthy, Jordan, Daugherty, Stack, Sheed, Carter, Jamison level. NBA success used to be something we could use as a major selling point on the recruiting trail. It would be nice to be able to do that again. But for that to happen, our best NBA player can't be a guy coming off the bench in Phoenix.

Don't get it twisted. Losing GG would be a big hit. We aren't currently recruiting at a good enough level where you can just brush it off like it's no big deal. Without him you're looking at a sophomore Tyler Nickel (ranked 76th) as your starting Stretch 4 in 2023.

For what it’s worth (and I’m 100 percent reading way to much into the situation) he still has his instagram up and public and it says UNC bball commit right at the top.

Reactions: OldSchoo01
The whole thing makes no sense. He had the last 3 months to get on the same page with Hubert about reclassifying. It could have been already worked out so that as soon as Kerwin’s scholarship came open GG announced his reclass and he gets the last scholarship. Instead, he was adamant he was staying in the 2023 class and therefore Hubert took a grad transfer.

I just don’t understand why any kid would forego playing on a championship contender team that had an opening at his position to instead play for a perennial bottom feeder like USC. The absolute only explanation would be a load of NIL cash to reclass and play now for the hometown program.

OK insiders, anyone care to explain why GG just retweeted 2 tweets of an article saying he may decommit and reclassify?
Look guys, the internal stuff within his camp --- as well as the motivations of those who still want him --- that some of us talked about during his recruitment hasn't changed, and GG showing out at the Top-100 camp as the legit #1 recruit just adds fuel.

In other words, the G-League wants him even more than ever and are dangling big $$$, and as for USCjr, now that Nance has filled our last '22 spot, they are trying to sneak in the back door renewing their reclass push for his one year in college.

And both of the above would certainly be peddling the carrot that their route gets him to the NBA a year sooner. So... if he's now thinking he's closer to being ready than he was when he committed, welp, that could be a problem for us. Alas, such are the pitfalls of recruiting top-rated kids, so we just have to hope he sticks amidst these temptations.

Look guys, the internal stuff within his camp --- as well as the motivations of those who still want him --- that some of us talked about during his recruitment hasn't changed, and GG showing out at the Top-100 camp as the legit #1 recruit just adds fuel.

In other words, the G-League wants him even more than ever and are dangling big $$$, and as for USCjr, now that Nance has filled our last '22 spot, they are trying to sneak in the back door renewing their reclass push for his one year in college.

And both of the above would certainly be peddling the carrot that their route gets him to the NBA a year sooner. So... if he's now thinking he's closer to being ready than he was when he committed, welp, that could be a problem for us. Alas, such are the pitfalls of recruiting top-rated kids, so we just have to hope he sticks amidst these temptations.
I guess the real question is whether this means we need to step up front line recruiting in the 2023 class, just in case?

Alternatively we could rely on the portal, and not worry about it for now. Hubert has done well in the portal, so far.

If we step recruiting in the 2023 class, which player(s) should we be considering?

So long story short this decommitment story has some legs to it ? Maybe nothing is final but things are murkier then they were say 3 weeks ago ?

If all the vetting of the person (not the player) and the family showed the truth, he will come. If not, might not be the fit for the Carolina family we all hoped for.

We have had #1 recruits say they were coming, only to end up elsewhere before. UNC will continue to thrive but this would sting

So long story short this decommitment story has some legs to it ? Maybe nothing is final but things are murkier then they were say 3 weeks ago ?
Well, only GG ultimately knows the answer to the first question, but the answer to the second (for the reasons stated) would logically be "yes".

If all the vetting of the person (not the player) and the family showed the truth, he will come. If not, might not be the fit for the Carolina family we all hoped for.

We have had #1 recruits say they were coming, only to end up elsewhere before. UNC will continue to thrive but this would sting
I wouldn't put it in such a stark dichotomy. GG and his dad have always wanted to come to UNC, and his mom (and some in their camp) wanted USCjr (but that went out the window once Frank was canned). That hasn't changed, per se.

What may have changed is how they now feel about GG"s NBA readiness timeline. They had always been realistic about not jumping the gun, BUT... GG's perfomance at Top-100 might have changed that perspective. Thus if indeed they are suddenly looking at upping that timeline by a year, we could have a problem --- if not?... then no.

Now, what would legit suck for us is the fact that, if a reclass decision had been made previously, we still would've taken him. But once they took that off the table, well, we filled the 22 spot. Thus, a late reclass decision (or even G-Leagiue) would definitely box Hubert in. So, I suppose there's not much the staff (or us as supporters) can do but hope GG wants to play college ball in the 2023-4 season...

Reactions: Oak ridger
I wouldn't put it in such a stark dichotomy. GG and his dad have always wanted to come to UNC, and his mom (and some in their camp) wanted USCjr (but that went out the window once Frank was canned). That hasn't changed, per se.

What may have changed is how they now feel about GG"s NBA readiness timeline. They had always been realistic about not jumping the gun, BUT... GG's perfomance at Top-100 might have changed that perspective. Thus if indeed they are suddenly looking at upping that timeline by a year, we could have a problem --- if not?... then no.

Now, what would legit suck for us is the fact that, if a reclass decision had been made previously, we still would've taken him. But once they took that off the table, well, we filled the 22 spot. Thus, a late reclass decision (or even G-Leagiue) would definitely box Hubert in. So, I suppose there's not much the staff (or us as supporters) can do but hope GG wants to play college ball in the 2023-4 season...
I am the first to realize that I only know what I know (and usually that isn't much) but the message repeatedly provided by the GG camp was they were NOT interested in reclassifying because he wanted to be more physically ready and mature. I can't see how a great showing by the #1 rated recruit against competition that is sub-par to that which he would face at UNC would suddenly accelerate him from where he said he was to NBA ready. Agreed IF that is what is happening, it is terrible timing and he has to realize the position it puts UNC in. That point is amplified when you add the fact that the spot was there waiting for him if he had that inclination a little earlier.

I'm old enough to have it installed in me that if you make a commitment, you honor it. Not certain the generations now have that value set.

This is why I don't follow recruiting. There's only two outcomes here. Either he keeps his commitment and people have worried for no reason or people got super excited, only to be disappointed. All of that over where a kid will go to college.

Reactions: strummingram
I didint see it live but appearnttly he went on instagram live and said it’s all just rumors multiple times . Not sure how to find a replay of it

Reactions: NorCalTarheel
GG showing out at the Top-100 camp as the legit #1 recruit just adds fuel.
This is the only part of the story that makes it seem at all plausible. If he didn't think he was ready before, but now he does feel ready, then it makes sense to consider reclassifying.

Before we got Nance, we would have been delighted if he wanted to reclassify. But now reclassifying means changing schools. So that's not a happy prospect for us.

I am the first to realize that I only know what I know (and usually that isn't much) but the message repeatedly provided by the GG camp was they were NOT interested in reclassifying because he wanted to be more physically ready and mature. I can't see how a great showing by the #1 rated recruit against competition that is sub-par to that which he would face at UNC would suddenly accelerate him from where he said he was to NBA ready. Agreed IF that is what is happening, it is terrible timing and he has to realize the position it puts UNC in. That point is amplified when you add the fact that the spot was there waiting for him if he had that inclination a little earlier.

I'm old enough to have it installed in me that if you make a commitment, you honor it. Not certain the generations now have that value set.
Well, in fairness, the Top-100 is the creme-de-la-creme, not just in talent, but the way the competition is set up and coached. It's taking the McD/Jordan-Brand level guys and playing real games in team settings (as opposed to a one-off TV "all-star" exhibition). For example, last year's MVP Jaden Bradley removed any and all doubt as to who was the top PG in that class.

As for GG, in the not distant past he would sometimes be physically overmatched in these environments. Not any more. I think it's fair to say his MVP performance showed he's ready for college ball right now, and being honest, I can see how that could possibly alter an outlook about another year in HS, even if was at a place like Oak Hill. And the last I heard, BTW, he hasn't enrolled anywhere for Fall semester yet, so I imagine it's possible that skipping a senior year could be on the table. I sure hope not. I totally get your frustration with the current state of recruiting, but all any of us can do is hope it works out for him and UNC.

I didint see it live but appearnttly he went on instagram live and said it’s all just rumors multiple times . Not sure how to find a replay of it
Yeah, that is quite encouraging.

In general, we must always keep in mind that one tried-and-true recruiting "tactic" is starting these rumors and making it look like they're coming from the kid's camp, and then hoping the chaos causes someone to f*** up the situation (on top of that, unfortunately some of the actual rumor-mongers are those who are supposed to be "objectively" covering recruiting... but that's a whole 'nuther story).

My point, as with everything else I posted ITT, is that NONE of this should be unexpected with a kid so coveted. Fact is, all the scenarios mentioned ITT are quite plausible, but ultimately only GG will give them "legs", or cut them off, as it were.

If you don't see the value of having a Premium subscription, than I can't help you. There are several folks on the site that "have both" and I have not seen anyone say there is not value.

Do you know who Jamie Shaw is and his history in the industry? Also, his connection to this rumor? Do some research and report back.
Works for On3 and is a S. Carolina graduate maybe? He has spewed falsehoods in his articles in the past. I don't put any stock in anything he reports and perhaps none on this forum should. I would suggest all be patient and let these rumors play out.

This is why I don't follow recruiting. There's only two outcomes here. Either he keeps his commitment and people have worried for no reason or people got super excited, only to be disappointed. All of that over where a kid will go to college.
It's kinda funny watching old men pin their hopes and potential happiness on what a total stranger... a 17 year old kid... is deciding to do with his basketball career.

These OAD prima donnas just don't impress me much.

It's kinda funny watching old men pin their hopes and potential happiness on what a total stranger... a 17 year old kid... is deciding to do with his basketball career.

These OAD prima donnas just don't impress me much.

We agree on something today.. time to buy a lottery ticket.

If you don't see the value of having a Premium subscription, than I can't help you.
If the premium side, which supports this side, is to much coin then you're either cheap or clueless. They not only have some good inside info they also have some really good articles written by AJ and staff and it's a little more than a McD burger meal a month .. and your better off reading that than eating that engineered bio-isht. jmho

If the premium side, which supports this side, is to much coin then you're either cheap or clueless. They not only have some good inside info they also have some really good articles written by AJ and staff and it's a little more than a McD burger meal a month .. and your better off reading that than eating that engineered bio-isht. jmho
But what if I'd rather spend the money on beer?

I believe there is a chance he could go G League after his Top-100 performance and MVP. They had two players in the first round of the draft, one was a lottery pick. Hard to make a case for him not going if he and his family change course.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT