ADVERTISEMENT

GG decommitting?

iu

This is looking more and more likely. If so, I’m sure Hubert knows and is making contingency plans.

I'm almost there with you about the OAD players that are almost guaranteed to leave (top 5 players) and here's why. I get excited about the basketball ability of a player like GG but I think that's because my brain hasn't adjusted to the fact he'll be gone in a year. So for a OAD, UNC has to absorb the inevitable adjustment a player goes through when they stop playing against boys and starts playing against men. Some absorb that more quickly than others but it still takes about half the season. If we are choosing players that will only don Carolina blue for one season, I'd rather have a grad student or Senior portal player who has already gained experience playing against colligate level players, had time to mature physically and mentally, and prove they are good people and teammates.

I was excited as anyone about GG when he committed and part of that was the vetting process he seemed to use, the family values his camp talked about as being so important and the desire to join a "family" program. If he decommits, that all seems to have been BS. That, to me, would put him in the same standing as the multitudes of Kensucky and dook OAD's.

Choose wisely young man. You would be leaving LOT on the table by walking away from UNC.

If he goes elsewhere for more NIL money, then it's really no different than the PGA dudes going over to LIV for lots more money and a lot less work. Can't really blame any of them. If someone offered me a different job for twice the pay, then it'd be hard to turn that down. I'll let y'all know when it happens. LOL.

I was just gonna say, I went to his account and didint see them. Soooo which way is everyone leaning on this? Where there is smoke there is fire? Or maybe his twitter account got hacked ???
Sounds like a per madonna too me,like all of top 5 player's in high school..we can do better than GG,trought he was different family had all of you fooled. He don't want The Tar Heels then go the hell own good READONS. We are the North Carolina Tarheels, we will be fine with him or without him.He is a family guy with bad intentions. CAROLINA will be fine with him or without him.One spoiled ass player will not break us or make us.like i said If i was Hubert i would drop this BOY like a hot potato. Move own recruit the guy's who want to be a Tar heel

Reactions: Oak ridger
Geeze the guy is getting more money dangled in front of him from Carolina lite and he and his fam are considering it as they should. That’s where we’re at these days. I just hope he’s not buying the hype that they would be instant final four contenders with him as many are claiming. He’s not that kind of talent.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Sounds like a per madonna too me,like all of top 5 player's in high school..we can do better than GG,trought he was different family had all of you fooled. He don't want The Tar Heels then go the hell own good READONS. We are the North Carolina Tarheels, we will be fine with him or without him.He is a family guy with bad intentions. CAROLINA will be fine with him or without him.One spoiled ass player will not break us or make us.like i said If i was Hubert i would drop this BOY like a hot potato. Move own recruit the guy's who want to be a Tar heel

From Marc Ryan for what it’s worth “Source: "I'm not saying G.G. Jackson isn't going to end up at North Carolina, but if he does, it's not going to be on a scholarship the 1st year. NIL at UNC is going to have to get creative to cover his cost of attendance and more."
Sooo sounds like he’s going to reclassify I guess it’s a good thing (can’t believe I’m saying this since he’s currently committed to UNC) but a good thing that UNC has a shot still??? If thats true and UNC can’t find a way to be get that dude some NIL to be a walk on then that’s downright embarrassing

Reactions: OldSchoo01
What will the preseason ranking of USC be? Top 10, Top 5 or somewhere in the lower half?
Rankings prove nothing except something to talk about.

From Marc Ryan for what it’s worth “Source: "I'm not saying G.G. Jackson isn't going to end up at North Carolina, but if he does, it's not going to be on a scholarship the 1st year. NIL at UNC is going to have to get creative to cover his cost of attendance and more."
Sooo sounds like he’s going to reclassify I guess it’s a good thing (can’t believe I’m saying this since he’s currently committed to UNC) but a good thing that UNC has a shot still??? If thats true and UNC can’t find a way to be get that dude some NIL to be a walk on then that’s downright embarrassing
To be blunt, if GG reclassifies and NIL covers his tuition, which of our current players get screwed?

Some here didn't think there was enough PT to bring Nance or Meyer on board without someone getting screwed,

Big losses of PT for some of our guys seem even more unavoidable if we also add GG for 2022-23.

Am I correct in thinking the portal is closed? Is there any other way for the UNC players who will be hurt by this to go elsewhere? Should they redshirt?

OTOH, if it turns out that Washington (or another player) isn't healthy this year and needs to redshirt, having GG could be a saving grace.

My bottom line is I'd rather have GG next year, as originally planned. But my opinion and $3 gets you Starbucks.

Reactions: RP12
Sc new budget went into effect July 1 and removes lots of restrictions on NIL. Simply put, those Clemson and cock
Loving politicians are making sure their teams have an advantage over others in offering NIL deals.

Reactions: gteeitup
Just can't believe this dude waited until 2 weeks after we got Nance to decide he was ready to reclassify.

Reactions: Sk1310
I say if he reclassifies make room for him some way some how
One of our guys will have to jump on the proverbial grenade and take one for the team. Another scenario is that GG reclassifies and redshirts at UNC, collects NIL money and goes to the draft and never plays a second at UNC. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer but you’re going to see that happen with some kids. I wish he’d just let everybody know what’s going on.

Meh. If he comes to UNC, fine. Ditto if he doesn’t. Waaaaaaay too much angst over the unpredictable decision of a spoiled 18 year old. GG knows the rumors are out there. Either he has quietly informed the staff that he’s still committed, or he’s stringing them along. After watching the podcast, I doubt it’s the former. Only time will tell but I’m not losing a minute of sleep over it. He’s a OAD at best so does it really matter that much? No.

Reactions: DrJaaay
My $0.02 - tell him the scholarship is there for next season and we'd love to have him after his senior season. If he wants to reclass to get to NBA quicker then wish him well. I would not be surprised to see him play early part of season against lesser opponents and shut it down with an "injury" when conf play begins. Do not let a kid use UNC to hype his brand the way Sharpe did at uk.

Tough situation all around. Mom wanted him at SC, dad wanted him at UNC. He chooses UNC. He then gets approached about reclassifying and him and his camp admit he isn’t ready. He balls out at some events and the family all of a sudden thinks he’s ready for prime time after receiving new information. I truly believe he wanted to be a Heel but if mama ain’t happy, no one is.

Reactions: Tarheels39
He's gone...just waiting for the official announcement.

What a waste, he had all the time in the world to reclassify and come to UNC before Nance came onboard.

Oh well, his loss.

He's gone...just waiting for the official announcement.

What a waste, he had all the time in the world to reclassify and come to UNC before Nance came onboard.

Oh well, his loss.
Thats your gut feeling? or is that from sources etc. It does seem from reading the tea leaves, the most likely scenario is he reclassifies, goes to USC for a year, gets a big NIL bag and then gets to NBA. If thats the case, it is what it is, timing of it sucks, but if we are talking strictly whats best for UNC bball THIS season, Nance is needed more then GG. i get the argument of at least going to UNC and playing against better competition and more exposure, but look at some of these guys in the NBA, that went to the obscure school and still got drafted high, Anthony Edwards, Jaylen Brown, Ben Simmons etc. Its not gonna hurt GG stock for him to play at USC. it would hurt a bit less if he just went straights to g league unite or overtime elite etc, but who knows

Last edited:
The various "experts" are not certain either as to what GG may or may not do, just alot of hemming and hawing.
I am going to remain confident in GG and his commital. Go Heels.

Reactions: tarwhiz
On THIS YEARS TEAM, would you rather have freshman GG Jackson at the 4 or Senior Pete Nance? I'm thinking Nance.

We have our 4 horsemen plus Puff, Styles, and the freshmen. Our need THIS YEAR seems to be a stretch 4 who can spell Mando. I'd go with the experienced, team-first guy Nance over the "show-me-to-the-league" guy who will take a while to acclimate.

I was stoked to have GG in '23-24 as a centerpiece but would prefer Nance over a reclassified GG.

Thats your gut feeling? or is that from sources etc. It does seem from reading the tea leaves, the most likely scenario is he reclassifies, goes to USC for a year, gets a big NIL bag and then gets to NBA. If thats the case, it is what it is, timing of it sucks, but if we are talking strictly whats best for UNC bball THIS season, Nance is needed more then GG. i get the argument of at least going to UNC and playing against better competition and more exposure, but look at some of these guys in the NBA, that went to the obscure school and still got drafted high, Anthony Edwards, Jaylen Brown, Ben Simmons etc. Its not gonna hurt GG stock for him to play at USC. it would hurt a bit less if he just went straights to g league unite or overtime elite etc, but who knows

He flipped to South Carolina last week.. if you had premium you would know that.

On THIS YEARS TEAM, would you rather have freshman GG Jackson at the 4 or Senior Pete Nance? I'm thinking Nance.

We have our 4 horsemen plus Puff, Styles, and the freshmen. Our need THIS YEAR seems to be a stretch 4 who can spell Mando. I'd go with the experienced, team-first guy Nance over the "show-me-to-the-league" guy who will take a while to acclimate.

I was stoked to have GG in '23-24 as a centerpiece but would prefer Nance over a reclassified GG.
GG Jackson

Yep, that is the reality, that is what Andrew and David spoke about on the pod cast, if the choice is Nance or GG to play next season and only next season, we should all prefer Nance and and his experience in the college game and the shown ability to succeed at this level that GG does not have.

Keep this in mind as all this unfolds, if we get GG to play for UNC, it will only be for 1 season, he is not going to do what Bacot has done, develop over multiple seasons, the best of his game will be seen as a NBA player. He is not physically mature at this point, he needs to get much stronger and fill out that frame, he will in time but that is not likely as a player for UNC even if he does not reclass. So if he reclasses we would not be losing the player most feel we are getting when he committed to UNC. That is not shade toward GG and should not be read as my wanting anything other than GG to play for us. It is more just realizing what a 6'9" kid that weights around 195lbs can do against grown men that have been in college programs for multiple years. You were not getting the soph or Jr version of the kid any more than we did with Naz.

Looks like 2023 PF Tj Tower just received an offer. Could be telling regarding the GG situation.

Good ole off season...

He flipped to South Carolina last week.. if you had premium you would know that.
That is not true, watch the latest pod cast from Andrew and David, you do not have to be premy members to see that on You tube. They are looking at his options but nothing final has been made, it may be close but nothing is a done deal yet, he could stay with the original plan and yes, he could reclass and yes that final decision could be released in the next 10mins but as of around midnight last night, nothing was settled.

That is not true, watch the latest pod cast from Andrew and David, you do not have to be premy members to see that on You tube. They are looking at his options but nothing final has been made, it may be close but nothing is a done deal yet, he could stay with the original plan and yes, he could reclass and yes that final decision could be released in the next 10mins but as of around midnight last night, nothing was settled.
I listened to that last night as well, they did an awesome job of saying there is soo many rumors out there, but never went into any detail of it all which was killing me. specifically at one point they said they heard from one of their sources who has never been wrong in football or basketball i really really wanted to know what that source was saying

Agreed ... a freshman GG might show out just as well as a freshman Nassir ... not saying that's a bad thing, but it isn't necessarily a great thing. Best of luck to them both, unless GG ends up squaring off against The Heels.

Reactions: NorCalTarheel

Nance without question. More experienced, can play multiple positions and is a better passer/shooter. GG obviously has the higher upside but I ‘d take the experienced proven player on a championship team.

Looks like 2023 PF Tj Tower just received an offer. Could be telling regarding the GG situation.

Good ole off season...
Ironic as I woke up this morning and did some digging into PF’s in the 2023 class and did some research on him. He tore it up over the weekend as he shot lights out with some 40 point performances. He wants to play both baseball and basketball, UNC would be the perfect fit.

Reactions: John_Mexico

Extra large size LOL

I listened to that last night as well, they did an awesome job of saying there is soo many rumors out there, but never went into any detail of it all which was killing me. specifically at one point they said they heard from one of their sources who has never been wrong in football or basketball i really really wanted to know what that source was saying
Honestly, the family just is not talking right now, Andrew nor David can tell you something they do not know. I really like that about Andrew and David, when they say something it has been vetted, they are getting either from the horse or some place close to his mouth. They are just not going to do what Jamie Shaw did, throw up a rumor as fact and then double down on it. The rumor is fact, we all know that much but we don't know how this will end up, we only know the family is looking at all the options. Guys if that is all there is to report then it is all there is to report, exactly what was said in that pod cast.

I think at this point, we all highly suspect GG will reclass, I do think both Andrew and David feel the same but in their position they can not report something they do not know is absolute fact. That is how the media is supposed to conduct itself, sad that many if not most do not follow that credo now days, we would all be better off if they did.

Good ole off season...
I'm afraid you are right about the offer providing the answer on GG. Oh well, enjoy your nightly ass-whuppins at lil Carolina.

I ONLY want players at Carolina who want to be at Carolina.

To quote Wild Bill from the movie Tombstone, "Well,... bye."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT