ADVERTISEMENT

Greetings from Pittsburgh

May 16, 2016
How yinz doing? Probably better than us. While the Tar Heels handled business against your future conference rival (I know, not supposed to say that part out loud), we got our ass whooped by a bottom-tier Big 12 team. I think that makes us a bottom-tier ACC team.

Here’s what you need to know about next Saturday. You’re going to win. Big time. The new QB we brought in from Boston College literally cannot complete a pass to a receiver three yards in front of him (he can complete them to the other team, though). Our running game is supposed to be a strength but is sub-par. We’re going to dominate you in time of possession and maybe get two field goals out of it.

Our defense can’t stop a cold, much less a decent running back. We let a backup true freshman quarterback beat us; I’m terrified by what Maye will do. The stubborn coaching staff will continue running the ball when we’re down two possessions in the fourth quarter. Everything is OK here.

All I ask is that when you take the lead, don’t let off the pedal. Run it up to 80 and give us no choice but to make some sort of change. Quarterback, offensive coordinator, head coach. I’m open to all of it. Thanks, and good luck on Saturday.

I think you’re underestimating how bad Phil specifically and Pitt in general are this year.
Based only on history, Pitt would be wise to put in the backup QB... at least this will guarantee some poor secondary play.
Unc football is to backup QBs what the Dean Dome is to random shooting guards looking to finally get hit beyond the arc.

^caveat: minn backup was horrendous and quickly yanked.

I think you’re underestimating how bad Phil specifically and Pitt in general are this year.
I am shocked at what I've seen. I exited Pitt to once again play tough. I didn't expect a 10-2 season, but I would have bet that Pitt would win 7 or maybe 8.

I am shocked at what I've seen. I exited Pitt to once again play tough. I didn't expect a 10-2 season, but I would have bet that Pitt would win 7 or maybe 8.
Most seemed to thing we were going to have an 8-4 type year, before the season. But now? UNC, FSU, and Notre Dame are definite losses. Duke a probable loss, as are Wake and Louisville, but wouldn’t be surprised if we get 1 of those 3. Toss ups for Virgina Tech, Syracuse, and BC. Maybe 2 of those 3. So like a 4 win season. It’s that bad.

Play your backup QB. UNC has long history of making them look like Heisman contenders. I think it started when Montana came off the bench for ND to beat us.

Most seemed to thing we were going to have an 8-4 type year, before the season. But now? UNC, FSU, and Notre Dame are definite losses. Duke a probable loss, as are Wake and Louisville, but wouldn’t be surprised if we get 1 of those 3. Toss ups for Virgina Tech, Syracuse, and BC. Maybe 2 of those 3. So like a 4 win season. It’s that bad.
Every coach who does not step down in time will go over the the hill in that job and simply not be able to get back to the heights he once reached. Do you think Narduzzi has reached that place, or do you think he can get Pitt back on track next year?

Based only on history, Pitt would be wise to put in the backup QB... at least this will guarantee some poor secondary play.
Unc football is to backup QBs what the Dean Dome is to random shooting guards looking to finally get hit beyond the arc.

^caveat: minn backup was horrendous and quickly yanked.
He will be in the talk for heisman after the game

Reactions: blazers
Play your backup QB. UNC has long history of making them look like Heisman contenders. I think it started when Montana came off the bench for ND to beat us.
The entire fanbase and local media want this to happen. But unfortunately the only 2 guys that matter (Narduzzi and Cignetti) seem intent to start Phil.

Every coach who does not step down in time will go over the the hill in that job and simply not be able to get back to the heights he once reached. Do you think Narduzzi has reached that place, or do you think he can get Pitt back on track next year?
He seems to only want to win his way, which is with a tough D and an archaic offense. He’s a defensive guy. The Pickett ACC championship year seems to be an anomaly. He chased off Whipple and threw him under the bus, made some references to Pitt needing to be more balanced and run the football more, after having a Heisman candidate QB, a Biletnikoff receiver, and one of the best offenses in the country. This is not the first OC he’s made comments about after they’ve left town.

He seems to only want to win his way, which is with a tough D and an archaic offense. He’s a defensive guy. The Pickett ACC championship year seems to be an anomaly. He chased off Whipple and threw him under the bus, made some references to Pitt needing to be more balanced and run the football more, after having a Heisman candidate QB, a Biletnikoff receiver, and one of the best offenses in the country. This is not the first OC he’s made comments about after they’ve left town.
Then Pitt is headed for some rough days. In today's world, you must pass a lot. It is the full flowering of that the Run and Shoot portended. Today, if you do not have a first rate passing game, the odds that you can have a good running game are quite slim. Narduzzi should find an OC who is in the school of Mike Leach or some other other pass game guru, and then turn that OC loose, while he focuses all his energy on the D and Special Teams.

And a high flying passing game will draw fans.

Then Pitt is headed for some rough days. In today's world, you must pass a lot. It is the full flowering of that the Run and Shoot portended. Today, if you do not have a first rate passing game, the odds that you can have a good running game are quite slim. Narduzzi should find an OC who is in the school of Mike Leach or some other other pass game guru, and then turn that OC loose, while he focuses all his energy on the D and Special Teams.

And a high flying passing game will draw fans.
I don’t think he has it in him. I think it’s an ego thing. Success can’t be because someone else (like the OC) is competent, it has to be because he’s got his thumb on the scale

I don’t think he has it in him. I think it’s an ego thing. Success can’t be because someone else (like the OC) is competent, it has to be because he’s got his thumb on the scale
That's a killer in this age. Winning big consistently, not a rare season here and there, requires a very good staff, and that means coordinators especially.

Narduzzi clearly likes the area and ACC play. So I don't see him leaving for any other HC job he could get. If Pitt were doing well this year he might get a good look from Mich St should they fire Tucker.

Anyone want to touch the over/under at 300yards by the Pitt QB? LOL We gonna find a way for him to get 300, don't know how but leave it to us, we will find a way! LOL

Post feels like a Psyops operation to me. The ole "look how bad we are, us poor little things," all in an effort to get us lax. Hey, the "New QB, Backup QB" thing, or whatever, is all we need to know. These people transform into Tom Brady at the sight of Carolina Blue, have other "one shining moment," and then turn back into rotten pumpkins at the stroke of midnight.

Reactions: blazers
The entire fanbase and local media want this to happen. But unfortunately the only 2 guys that matter (Narduzzi and Cignetti) seem intent to start Phil.
here's your plan. Start your backup. He will then no longer be the backup, so our backup jinx is alleviated. *But then you yank the backup-starter immediately and put in the starter-backup. So the backup jinx is back in play against us but now with the better QB. And we are so screwed.

*Immediately means as soon as he mucks it up. Leave him in long enough to see if he might spank us, because that's also a possibility. Our other jinx is making teams that are failing to live up to expectations come alive to way exceed them.

ETA; almost forgot our other, other jinx. The pollsters moved us up a few notches. You can pretty much go ahead and pencil in a W.

Last edited:
UNC on a late-night, televised game in Pittsburgh???

Pitt would literally have to play their worst-ever game in order to lose.

UNC is even now a 7.5 favorite. Pitt's chances just got btter.

And, the dookies are going to be 4-0 after this weekend.

I love the comments here. Tar Heels have been burned so many times, they're now doing as much "negative self talk" as possible to try and tamp down the feelings of hope.

We've all been saying Drake just needs a slightly better D. So far the D is showing potential of being slightly better. We just need Drake to be able to be Drake. Aside for some self-inflicted INTs Drake is still mostly Drake.

I see us crapping the bed soon too, but regarding 7.5, I'm taking the over - unless Drake shows up hurt.

I love the comments here. Tar Heels have been burned so many times, they're now doing as much "negative self talk" as possible to try and tamp down the feelings of hope.

We've all been saying Drake just needs a slightly better D. So far the D is showing potential of being slightly better. We just need Drake to be able to be Drake. Aside for some self-inflicted INTs Drake is still mostly Drake.

I see us crapping the bed soon too, but regarding 7.5, I'm taking the over - unless Drake shows up hurt.
bet like a fool, you might win fool's gold. I have no idea how that applies to anything but I thought it sounded clever.

Actually a good post. Mine, not yours. Just kidding, I mean yours. And mine.

I see WR failures, in all parts of the game, as a key part of all Drake Maye failures this year. The WRs overall just look lost.

I've been burned enough to know I shouldn't expect anything. I'll let you know if I think we can win after the game. But you're right about saying Drake just needed a better D. On paper this is at least a 10-2 team. UNC football has burned a lot of paper, though.

Reactions: uncboy10
Pittsburgh stack the box Maye will go for 400+ again….They lay back Hampton and Brooks will run wild…

38-17 Tar Heels…

If our OL can control the LOS then we win by 10 after letting them hang around until basically the very last possession in a game that should never have been close.

But we won’t control the LOS, and Drake will get sacked like 7 times. One of the RB’s will fumble at the goal line. One of our corners will hold a receiver on 3rd and 35 from their own goal line sparking a 97 yd TD drive. Throw in a few missed tackles, wasted timeouts, and dropped passes and you’ve got yourself a Carolina football game.

21-17 Pitt

If our OL can control the LOS then we win by 10 after letting them hang around until basically the very last possession in a game that should never have been close.

But we won’t control the LOS, and Drake will get sacked like 7 times. One of the RB’s will fumble at the goal line. One of our corners will hold a receiver on 3rd and 35 from their own goal line sparking a 97 yd TD drive. Throw in a few missed tackles, wasted timeouts, and dropped passes and you’ve got yourself a Carolina football game.

21-17 Pitt
And you people think I'm negative. The difference between us is that you all just cceopt failure and I try to see how the program;s weaknesses can be overcome. So y'all make unless jokes bout screw ups tnbat you accept as the given, and then are angry at me for stating that various couches need to be fired for failing to do their jobs.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
And you people think I'm negative. The difference between us is that you all just cceopt failure and I try to see how the program;s weaknesses can be overcome. So y'all make unless jokes bout screw ups tnbat you accept as the given, and then are angry at me for stating that various couches need to be fired for failing to do their jobs.
I'm not angry at you. Can't speak for anyone else though.

One day I'll be a real fan like you.

• Haha
Reactions: tarheel0910
my friends, this squabbling is unnecessary. there are basically three kinds of carolina football fans. a) rose colored glasses fans enjoying the successes without being too disappointed with the letdowns, b) fans who are highly critical of our coaches and players when they failure to produce, expecting more, and c) casual wine and cheese fans using football as an excuse for social interaction. i like a) and b) -- they both care about carolina football in their own way and need to remember they're on the same side. i have no liking at all for type c), i find them extremely annoying at games, and would pass a law against them if i could.

• Love
Reactions: bluetoe
my friends, this squabbling is unnecessary. there are basically three kinds of carolina football fans. a) rose colored glasses fans enjoying the successes without being too disappointed with the letdowns, b) fans who are highly critical of our coaches and players when they failure to produce, expecting more, and c) casual wine and cheese fans using football as an excuse for social interaction. i like a) and b) -- they both care about carolina football in their own way and need to remember they're on the same side. i have no liking at all for type c), i find them extremely annoying at games, and would pass a law against them if i could.
You forgot 1…They are on both boards and I don’t know if they are UNC fans or not…Because they act the same about Bball…They only post when things are going bad…You never hear them when the Tar Heels are winning…

Type C fans are the fans that help fill stadiums. I've never understood the hate for them. They can actually be the most important, because it's a way to show the athletic department that they need to make changes.

Also, you have one more type of fan. One that is a die hard fan, but doesn't let the lack of success make their own life and others around them miserable.

Type C fans are the fans that help fill stadiums. I've never understood the hate for them. They can actually be the most important, because it's a way to show the athletic department that they need to make changes.

Also, you have one more type of fan. One that is a die hard fan, but doesn't let the lack of success make their own life and others around them miserable.

Our problem is the culture around the casual fandom. At Clemson you have casuals that barely know anything about football, but they at least know when to be loud.

You forgot 1…They are on both boards and I don’t know if they are UNC fans or not…Because they act the same about Bball…They only post when things are going bad…You never hear them when the Tar Heels are winning…
maybe that's because winning is what we are supposed to do....

I don't tell people 'hey, today I did what I was supposed to do'. Come to think of it though, I don't tell people I didn't do what I was supposed to do either.

Our problem is the culture around the casual fandom. At Clemson you have casuals that barely know anything about football, but they at least know when to be loud.
Eh, I hear hardcore people say this all the time. My experience says that they cheer during the right times. Maybe my section is the exception.

maybe that's because winning is what we are supposed to do....

I don't tell people 'hey, today I did what I was supposed to do'. Come to think of it though, I don't tell people I didn't do what I was supposed to do either.
Didn’t take long…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT