ADVERTISEMENT

Greetings from Pittsburgh

I think two good football programs show up.....
The best team will win this game. The best team so far .... has been UNC.
More experience, more talent, and ... they have played pretty good competition.

We will see ... on Saturday.

Eh, I hear hardcore people say this all the time. My experience says that they cheer during the right times. Maybe my section is the exception.

Granted, I haven’t been to a game in a couple of years but the last time I was there, my entire section was sitting for 98% of the game. They’d occasionally stand up for a significant 3rd down but that was about it. I may make it up for a game at some point this year, hopefully Mack has livened up the environment since my last trip.

Granted, I haven’t been to a game in a couple of years but the last time I was there, my entire section was sitting for 98% of the game. They’d occasionally stand up for a significant 3rd down but that was about it. I may make it up for a game at some point this year, hopefully Mack has livened up the environment since my last trip.
Standing up means nothing. It's about making noise. Standing doesn't disrupt the other team. I think it's more of a seeing what you want to see. If you're the type of person that never sits down and everyone else does, then no one is a good fan if they don't do exactly what you do.

ETA: There's also this perception among UNC fans that every other team has great fans that are cheering and jumping up and down for the whole game. Outside of the blue blood teams, that doesn't really happen.

• Love
Reactions: bluetoe
Post feels like a Psyops operation to me. The ole "look how bad we are, us poor little things," all in an effort to get us lax. Hey, the "New QB, Backup QB" thing, or whatever, is all we need to know. These people transform into Tom Brady at the sight of Carolina Blue, have other "one shining moment," and then turn back into rotten pumpkins at the stroke of midnight.
I have degrees from Pitt and Carolina, and follow both programs very closely. I’m probably about as unbiased as you can get, because I’ll be pissed either way given that one of my teams is guaranteed to lose.

There is no psy ops here. Jurk is THAT bad this year, and unless Duzz is pulling the wool over all of us, he seems inexplicably destined to stick with Jurk. I am pretty sure any other coach in the country would have pulled him, if not in the Cincy game, then definitely in the WVU game.

Reactions: DonBrown
Eh, I hear hardcore people say this all the time. My experience says that they cheer during the right times. Maybe my section is the exception.
my experience is that they might have been less savvy at some point in the past about not cheering when we are on offense and trying to snap the ball. They are better about that now, and any criticism there is unjustified at the present. However, I wish someone would tell them that ANY time is time to get off their dead asses and raise hell when the other team is on offense, and not just on third down.

Standing up means nothing. It's about making noise. Standing doesn't disrupt the other team. I think it's more of a seeing what you want to see. If you're the type of person that never sits down and everyone else does, then no one is a good fan if they don't do exactly what you do.
thank you, thank you, and thank you. I have been telling the brainless for many years exactly what you posted. The players on the field hear the noise you make. They don't hear you stand up. Standing up and believing that you have demonstrated superior fansmanship, especially to the point of criticizing those who don't stand all during a game, is nothing more than self-indulgence. Sit down and let others see, unless Gio Bernard is returning a punt for the winning TD and you absolutely just can't help yourself.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Our problem is the culture around the casual fandom. At Clemson you have casuals that barely know anything about football, but they at least know when to be loud.
And they arrive on time, don't leave early.

and IMO, respect the players and the program enough to hang around until the game is over.
I don't have a problem with people leaving early. Depending on the score and opponent, I'll leave a few minutes early. I show my respect when I buy the tickets, went to games during the Bunting era and make my donation to the Rams Club. Maybe they should show me some respect and become a good program so I don't feel like I'm wasting my time and money.

I don't have a problem with people leaving early. Depending on the score and opponent, I'll leave a few minutes early. I show my respect when I buy the tickets, went to games during the Bunting era and make my donation to the Rams Club. Maybe they should show me some respect and become a good program so I don't feel like I'm wasting my time and money.
I don't disagree in principle with your post, but if I put myself in the players shoes...the players you are supporting...they don't know who donates to what. They just see seats emptying out. I'm not sure I see the difference in leaving early and getting there late.

The story goes that when Mack Brown should have been getting major support back when he had us rolling, what he saw was a stadium emptying out in an important game because there was a BB game about to be played. Supposedly, he said that factored into his decision to take the Texas offer.

Did you take the field after that Bunting win over FSU and the spectacular Miami night game? My dumb ass did. But I also used to stick around when we lost.

The story goes that when Mack Brown should have been getting major support back when he had us rolling, what he saw was a stadium emptying out in an important game because there was a BB game about to be played. Supposedly, he said that factored into his decision to take the Texas offer.
Well, they had to build out the stadium when he had everything rolling. I think that should be proof that there was support for the football team. There has also been more money spent on football than basketball. The difference is football hasn't been good for almost three decades.

Did you take the field after that Bunting win over FSU and the spectacular Miami night game? My dumb ass did. But I also used to stick around when we lost
Never been the type to rush a field. I do remember there being some Miami fan that I wanted to go find after the game. He kept yelling and screaming before the game about how they were going to destroy us. Would have loved to find him.

Well, they had to build out the stadium when he had everything rolling. I think that should be proof that there was support for the football team. There has also been more money spent on football than basketball. The difference is football hasn't been good for almost three decades.

Never been the type to rush a field. I do remember there being some Miami fan that I wanted to go find after the game. He kept yelling and screaming before the game about how they were going to destroy us. Would have loved to find him.
"Never been the type to rush a field."

me either. But those two and the goal line stand against NC State with TJ McLendon not getting in were just too good to not celebrate a little. The FSU game was the first time I had been on the field at Kenan, and it was a blast. It took the fans like half an hour to bring down a goalpost and it was hilarious.

And again, I'm talking about the appearances of leaving early and not the amount of money spent. Referring back to Mack, his point was that football seemed to take a back seat to basketball fan-wise, and I couldn't disagree.

"Never been the type to rush a field."

me either. But those two and the goal line stand against NC State with TJ McLendon not getting in were just too good to not celebrate a little. The FSU game was the first time I had been on the field at Kenan, and it was a blast. It took the fans like half an hour to bring down a goalpost and it was hilarious.

And again, I'm talking about the appearances of leaving early and not the amount of money spent. Referring back to Mack, his point was that football seemed to take a back seat to basketball fan-wise, and I couldn't disagree.
Mack left because it was Texas. Some jobs you don't turn down if you want to be on the mountain top. One of those is Texas football.

Has there been any other program that has reduced the amount of seats in their stadium?
Seats were a significant upgrade to the stadium. Why does it matter that we removed empty seats? And don't give me the "perception" line. No one knows that the seats were reduced.

I have degrees from Pitt and Carolina, and follow both programs very closely. I’m probably about as unbiased as you can get, because I’ll be pissed either way given that one of my teams is guaranteed to lose.

There is no psy ops here. Jurk is THAT bad this year, and unless Duzz is pulling the wool over all of us, he seems inexplicably destined to stick with Jurk. I am pretty sure any other coach in the country would have pulled him, if not in the Cincy game, then definitely in the WVU game.
Well, given our recent history, look for Jurk to turn into Tom Brady on Saturday. I hope that doesn't happen and that Gene has finally righted the ship. But look on the bright side. One of your teams is guaranteed to win.

PS, I have degrees from multiple schools too, including UNC. But I have only one team. Just saying '.

Go Heels!

Last edited:
Reactions: razzaba and bluetoe
Mack left because it was Texas. Some jobs you don't turn down if you want to be on the mountain top. One of those is Texas football.
well duh, of course he left because it was Texas...and because we weren't (aren't). Now do you see what I'm saying? Mack said he didn't want to leave but we just didn't show the kind of support for football that a program like Texas has. As a matter of fact, the rumor is that Dick Baddour told him that we would never have that kind of support...that is, the support we had (have) for BB.

Well, given our recent history, look for Jurk to turn into Tom Brady on Saturday. I hope that doesn't happen and that Gene has finally righted the ship. But look on the bright side. One of your teams is guaranteed to win.

PS, I have degrees from multiple schools too, including UNC. But I have only one team. Just saying '.

Go Heels!
I learned long ago that I hate losing more than I enjoy winning 😅

But I grew up in Pittsburgh as a Pitt fan, and my dad, grandfather, uncles, aunts, brother, etc all went there too (we’ll forget the brother that decided to go to Penn State and might as well be adopted). I came to UNC in ‘04-05 really knowing nothing about the history on the football side other than LT. The Bunting era maybe wasn’t the best way to get introduced to football haha, but I still had a great time going to every game and quickly made Carolina my second love, and hating Dook and State was very easy.

It didn’t hurt having the ‘05 bball championship to cap off a great first year.

Reactions: DonBrown
I came to UNC in ‘04-05 really knowing nothing about the history on the football side other than LT.
you might be interested to know that Jack Palance played football under scholarship at UNC for several years. He was originally from the other end of Pennsylvania from Pittsburgh.

I'm assuming you know who Jack Palance is (was).

Reactions: razzaba
well duh, of course he left because it was Texas...and because we weren't (aren't). Now do you see what I'm saying? Mack said he didn't want to leave but we just didn't show the kind of support for football that a program like Texas has. As a matter of fact, the rumor is that Dick Baddour told him that we would never have that kind of support...that is, the support we had (have) for BB.
Mack verified almost all of that in his autobiography. But he did it in a very polite way. And everybody knew that Baddour was Dean Smith's boy.

Reactions: bluetoe
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT