ADVERTISEMENT

Guitars

TarHeelMark

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 21, 2006
Southern Part of Heaven
I'd appreciate some advice from the guitar players out there. I still want to learn to play guitar (even though I'm an old dog, I want to learn a new trick), but would like to know what you suggest as the best way to learn.

I've heard of quite a few options:
* private lessons - obvious, but costly
* online - someone mentioned a site called JustinGuitars.com (IIRC)
* book or dvd lessons - I could work at my own pace, but how effective are these?
* rocksmith video game - they advertise that it's an easy, fun way to learn to play

Thanks in advance... THM

If you have a friend who plays, I would ask them if they will show you some stuff. I'm always happy to help friends learn, and I think that would be more effective than most of the options you listed, and cheaper than lessons. Plus, it's an excuse to hang out/have a beer with a friend on a semi-regular basis.

No matter which option you choose, though, the most important thing is DON'T QUIT. It's really frustrating at first, but if you stick with it, you will eventually get the hang of it no matter what method you're using.

If u dont get personal expert advice from the start u risk getting some bad habits with hand positioning that will be really hard to correct. Theres really no way around personal instruction. Strum i'm sure would know better than me.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

my son is a year into lessons...bought him a strat last year for his birthday.

i also advise personal instruction...you cannot go wrong.

i would also learn on electric...much easier than acoustic, imo, and more fun.

This post was edited on 3/25 2:03 PM by gteeitup

I will say learning on acoustic with some stiff new strings is like swinging a bat with a doughnut on it. When u do pick up an electric, fretting (mashing down the strings with your left hand) will seem very easy in comparison.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Man, I wish I'd had that list to choose from in 1980! Just turned 12 and got an old classical guitar for my birthday. Actually, the classical guitar has nylon strings that, while they are callus-producing, they aren't like bronze-wound acoustic strings, or even electric strings. They're less harsh on your fingertips.

But, I would encourage anyone to start on acoustic. Acoustic guitar allows you to express your abilities anywhere and it doesn't require a battery or wall socket. There is a transition and a getting-used-to when you switch from acoustic to electric, but I think the transition is easier than the other way around. The volume is more adjustable on an amp than it is on an acoustic guitar.

All of the choices will have their benefits. I took private lessons for a few months, but I just had/have a natural ear. I got bored with the instructor and taught myself. It took longer, however, than it could have, but I was impatient and hard-headed. But, I had the mimic ability down-pat. I "heard" what I wanted to play. That is actually somewhat essential in the level of development that anyone will exhibit with a musical instrument. I wish I'd had other players close-by who played as much as I did, because you learn things they picked-up and you share yours. Unfortunately, where I lived, or at the time, there weren't a lot of guitar players.

THIS IS IMPORTANT: Learning to play any instrument is similar to learning a new language, with a little twist. Your brain is now teaching your hands to communicate through the guitar,
like it taught your mouth and voice to communicate when you learned to speak. But, you already know the language in your head, you just have to teach your hands to manipulate the strings to reproduce what your mind "hears" through the instrument. You can HEAR the music in your head, and the music is the language. If you can simulate a guitar riff, or solo, chord progression, or anything a guitar does vocally (if you can mimic what you hear, basically, using your voice), then it's just a matter of time and patience and practice to get the sound reproduced by using the guitar. It's a lot of memorization and aural vocabulary. If you can hear it, remember it, and then repeat it, then it's just a matter of time. After a while, just like learning to talk, it becomes second nature. Playing guitar (or any instrument) is just communicating through the instrument instead of your voice. If you can sing in-tune, with decent time, you'll be okay. You don't have to sing "well", just good enough to be understood.

You Tube is probably putting some instructors out of business, or hurting their future clientele. It's hard for me to be objective NOW as to which way is best or most efficient. Try each one. I would try You Tube first because 1) it's basically free and 2) it's essentially the same as an instructor being there and you can pause and rewind them. I'm not familiar at all with Rocksmith.

Do it all, when you can. The main thing is to play. When I was learning I would play until my fingers bleed.
That Rocksmith game is awesome. I'd kill a whole day off playing it, my nefew has it and I play it when I visit my brother. I learned early playing bluegrass gospel music. Now I'm learning the dobro.

Originally posted by CrazyHeel:
Now I'm learning the dobro.
That is fun isn't it? I was somewhat fortunate in that I had a passion for open tuning bottleneck blues slide when I was young. I went to the theater and saw Crossroads (with Ralph Macchio) and was hooked. But, bluegrass/squareneck dobro is different. It's like a Hawaiian fusion, too. Playing with the bar and not a glass or metal slide on your finger, and playing it upright... that's tough. I can't use metal finger-picks, even when I play banjo. I have to keep my right-hand nails long and strong. I used to use Lee Press-On Nails years ago, when I played professionally, full time! I just could never get used to the cumbersome metal on my fingertips.

Strum:

I fell in love with the dobro years ago. My uncle broke one out at a family reunion ( our family reunions would be a gospel/bluegrass show) I'll never forget being hypnotized by that thing. My dobro is a Gibson Hound dog (USA) not the china mans version. Sounds really good. Right now I'm trying to learn songs playing tuned down to D. That sound is dark and gritty and adds a lot to what I all ready play. The picks and bar wasn't a big adjust for me because I'm a flat picker on the guitar and never used glass slides and stuff, beside that not really used in gospel type music anyway. The banjo is next on my bucket list. There's a man I work with who's be invited to play with Allsion Krause, Vince Gill and Ricky Skaggs and once he retires he said he was gonna start giving lessons so I'm looking forward to that. Here's a bluegrass cover of Freebird, it's worth a listen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbUL4zC70Wo

This post was edited on 3/30 2:27 PM by CrazyHeel

Thanks guys for all the advice. I'm definitely going to get started soon. I plan to take the slow, steady approach, but it's something I still feel I can get many years of enjoyment.

Originally posted by CrazyHeel:
Strum:

I fell in love with the dobro years ago. My uncle broke one out at a family reunion ( our family reunions would be a gospel/bluegrass show) I'll never forget being hypnotized by that thing. My dobro is a Gibson Hound dog (USA) not the china mans version. Sounds really good. Right now I'm trying to learn songs playing tuned down to D. That sound is dark and gritty and adds a lot to what I all ready play. The picks and bar wasn't a big adjust for me because I'm a flat picker on the guitar and never used glass slides and stuff, beside that not really used in gospel type music anyway. The banjo is next on my bucket list. There's a man I work with who's be invited to play with Allsion Krause, Vince Gill and Ricky Skaggs and once he retires he said he was gonna start giving lessons so I'm looking forward to that. Here's a bluegrass cover of Freebird, it's worth a listen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbUL4zC70Wo

This post was edited on 3/30 2:27 PM by CrazyHeel
Very cool!
I had 2 old Gibson Lap Steels (a 6 and 8 string) and played them for years. The only down-side I got from that style is it seemed to exacerbate my carpal tunnel. Holding that bar made my left hand cramp-up a lot. I sold the laps. I have a Dobro rond neck and an old National metal-body resonator with a round neck. Bottleneck was always my preference and I had a natural feel for that.

Thanks for the share. By the way, Gary Rossington used to stick a heavy nail at the nut of his SG to raise the strings for playing Free Bird.

Rocksmith is good for learning chords, scales, and timing all the while you're learning to play hit songs and developing your ear.. It's not gonna make you a guitar master or anything but I think it's a useful tool.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT