ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (Lehigh game)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and ideally we learn something.

OK... we weathered poor outside shooting (other than RJ) and lazy 3-pt denial and close-outs in a frustratingly listless game, and as I warned previously, that could've been very dangerous vs a more gifted squad than Lehigh. So... let's get to why:

- Truth be known, Mando should have a monster game vs these guys and he did, and it's the biggest reason we ended up winning comfortably. Also, as I mentioned earlier, having the DEPTH to play Mando FEWER minutes is actually helping his production.

- RJ making timely shots was also needed to keep these guys at bay. Why?
1) We spent WAY TOO MUCH time playing at their pace
2) The aformentioned slackness on their shooters (again, relates to pace)

- As for defense, with our depth, there's no reason not be be aggressive on D but once again we played 21.5 with only a modicum of 23/24 with no Scrambles

- On offense, it's NOT about half-court execution with this bunch --- we actually run our set plays and Freelance stuff REALLY well (night-and-day better than recent seasons), BUT... as I've warned, sometimes the shots nonetheless don't fall, and you keep opponents in games and at their pace.

- Transition, in contrast, is a CONSTSANT. We need to be about PACE, PACE, PACE. Today reinforced initial impressions that we are a transition team with Cadeau at PG (30 transition pts today) and much more of a half-court team when he's not (12 transition pts today).

- Interesting to see Seth get good minutes at the 2, and largely comporting himself well.

- Speaking of EC, as I mentioned previously, he learns really fast and his defensive footwork today was yet another level better. Y'all know how I watch PGs, and he was way better both on and off the ball (and hallelujah, he actually STOPS the ball in transition). In fact, per my notes, EC pitched a shut-out on his men (all without fouling). This bodes very well moving forward.

- Finally, look... there were some rotation tweaks today (especially at the 2/3). We'll see what happens going forward, or if it was just a result of Woj's shoot-around stitches. But once again, what I'm seeing SCREAMS for Cadeau to start. With better opponents looming, we need to start the game establishing our first, best identity and pace from the tip. And I'll bet ya, if/when he does, his 3-pt shooting will pick up. This kid is not a bench player. He's an alpha and a starter, and believe me, it matters.

Anyway, wish we played again before Friday, but hey, chalk up another win and keep moving and, hopefully, keep progressing...
:cool:

Last edited:
Correct, and he's thinking about them now. He needs to know he's in the driver's seat.
I Tried to watch ball movement ant it felt better than last year. Did a really poor job end of shot clock on D. I remember 3 or 4 times team relaxed and gave up shot in last 2/3 seconds

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and gary-7
But once again, what I'm seeing SCREAMS for Cadeau to start.
Thinking a seeing eye dog could see that but for whatever reason HD can't or won't make the move sooner rather than later. EC is most always moving forward and looking and his defense looked a lot better .. and RJ is so much more effective OFF THE BALL !! Really like some of Ingrams aggressiveness and athleticism and hoping Washington and High see more floor time together. Some serious kudos to Seth and he gets an A for effort and hustle every minute he was on the floor. Winning the games you should by a good margin is a positive early in the year but thinking the starting line up now is not the best starting line up. jmo .. GO HEELS !!

Gary, from my vantage point it was evident that most of the guys stayed out too late celebrating the dook football victory. As I have said in our discussions, better defense will be necessary going forward, as the competition gets a lot tougher shortly.
Amen to that. Some lollygagging closeouts and too much space given.
Gotta make teams like that drive.

Thinking a seeing eye dog could see that but for whatever reason HD can't or won't make the move sooner rather than later. EC is most always moving forward and looking and his defense looked a lot better .. and RJ is so much more effective OFF THE BALL !! Really like some of Ingrams aggressiveness and athleticism and hoping Washington and High see more floor time together. Some serious kudos to Seth and he gets an A for effort and hustle every minute he was on the floor. Winning the games you should by a good margin is a positive early in the year but thinking the starting line up now is not the best starting line up. jmo .. GO HEELS !!
On that note, BTW, the EC/RJ backcourt accounted for 19 of our transition points.

Gary, from my vantage point it was evident that most of the guys stayed out too late celebrating the dook football victory. As I have said in our discussions, better defense will be necessary going forward, as the competition gets a lot tougher shortly.
Exactly what I was thinking!!!

Reactions: gary-7
This^

Seems like a curfew or pulling in the reigns on your team might not be a bad idea before a game .. but that's a coaching thing.

Thanks for the write-up Gary. I haven’t had the chance to watch yet but will catch the replay later.

For early season play, a few miscues and some mistakes are all good… so long as the team learns from them and keeps improving.

Just looking at the box score, great to see no one played more than 30min and extended minutes for key reserves. Whether that is Hubert changing his approach or being more comfortable with the reserves he has, either are a welcome sight.

It’s a delicate balancing act. I’m sure Hubert wanted the team to celebrate the football win, but also wanted to keep a limit to it. And if they tested the boundaries, let them learn.

OK... we weathered poor outside shooting (other than RJ) and lazy 3-pt denial and close-outs in a frustratingly listless game, and as I warned previously, that could've been very dangerous vs a more gifted squad than Lehigh. So... let's get to why:

- Truth be known, Mando's should have a monster game vs these guys and he did, and it's the biggest reason we ended up winning comfortably. Also, as I mentioned earlier, having the DEPTH to play Mando FEWER minutes is actually helping his production.

- As for defense, with our depth, there's no reason not be be aggressive on D but once again we played 21.5 with only a modicum of 23/24 with no Scrambles

- On offense, it's NOT about half-court execution with this bunch --- we actually run our set plays and Freelance stuff REALLY well (night-and-day better than recent seasons), BUT... as I've warned, sometimes the shots nonetheless don't fall, and you keep opponents in games and at their pace.

- Transition, in contrast, is a CONSTSANT. We need to be about PACE, PACE, PACE. Today reinforced initial impressions that we are a transition team with Cadeau at PG (30 transition pts today) and much more of a half-court team when he's not (12 transition pts today).

- Interesting to see Seth get good minutes at the 2, and largely comporting himself well.

- Speaking of EC, as I mentioned previously, he learns really fast and his defensive footwork today was yet another level better. Y'all know how I watch PGs, and he was way better both on and off the ball (and hallelujah, he actually STOPS the ball in transition). In fact, per my notes, EC pitched a shut-out on his men (all without fouling). This bodes very well moving forward.

- Finally, look... there were some rotation tweaks today (especially at the 2/3). We'll see what happens going forward, or if it was just a result of Woj's shoot-around stitches. But once again, what I'm seeing SCREAMS for Cadeau to start. With better opponents looming, we need to start the game establishing our first, best identity and pace from the tip. And I'll bet ya, if/when he does, his 3-pt shooting will pick up. This kid is not a bench player. He's an alpha and a starter, and believe me, it matters.

Anyway, wish we played again before Friday, but hey, chalk up another win and keep moving and, hopefully, keep progressing...
I like using these games to get looks at different combos with the depth, and there are options.

I'm not sure Mando is going to be sitting as much as some do though. Even in these non conference comfortable "cupcake" type wins, without sitting out the last 5 minutes or so with the lead he was on pace for 30+ or so. I think 1 couple minute blow each half is going to be the norm when facing the big boys for Hubert.

Things could change, but I think Hubert is really leaning toward RJ, Mando, and it looks like Ingram and Ryan to clock big minutes.

I agree along with Cadeau those 4 look like the optimal go to unit.

Last edited:
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Again it's early, but Mando looks so much more comfortable and consistent at the line, less varying arc to his free throws. That would be HUGE if he is knocking them down at a high rate. Having his legs fresh would help there as well.

- Truth be known, Mando's should have a monster game vs these guys and he did, and it's the biggest reason we ended up winning comfortably. Also, as I mentioned earlier, having the DEPTH to play Mando FEWER minutes is actually helping his production.

Crazy thing is we've scored 86 and 90 in our first 2 games, and we're not even scratching the surface with how good we could be in Transition. We're also only 12/37 (32%) from 3, which can and should get better. If we can get some kinks worked out defensively, and really force pace, this team has a chance.

Ingram needs to stop trying to lead the fast break when he gets a rebound. Get it to a PG, run the floor hard, and let the PG reward you.
Yeah, I meant to mention that. I don't mind bust-outs but only when you're ahead of your teammates, and Ingram's strength isn't open-court agility.

I agree Cadeau was much better defensively and had some good passes despite not getting any assists (also had a couple good drives for scores), but he has to shoot better or it'll be hard to be an impact player. The Lehigh defenders were sagging off him so much, it was a bit alarming to see him stand wide open at the top of the key and not shoot. Looked a lot like Trimble's coverage last year.

I assume it's just early season jitters because he shot pretty well in high school, but his shot looks a little off so far. He doesn't look super comfortable from the college distance, as he's shot several within a couple steps inside the arc. He's also missed 3 of his 5 free throws so far. He would be more effective passing in half court offense if his guy has to guard him tightly.

Easy to say after such a monstrous game, but Bacot looks great. He does seem to be more aware with the ball and in a bit better shape. I'm hoping he can be even better than last year. I like Ingram's game so far too, but curious to see how he plays in Bahamas against better athletes.

If Trimble and High can carve out any kind of offensive role they deserve consistent minutes. Great motors and defense; Trimble's started looking more comfortable on drives too and his free throws didn't have the big hitch we saw last year. I'm impressed with his year-over-year progress.

I'm also scratching my head as to why Wojcik gets the nod to start but but am guessing this is all to ease Cadeau in- maybe temper with some humility of not giving him the reins from the very start giving the more experienced player in Paxson the nod early on?

With RJ truly showing everyone he's a scorer- and Ingram showing everyone he's the real deal - and Cormac being exactly who we hoped we'd get: a starting 5 with those mentioned + Mando and Cadeau seems inevitable.

I am impressed with what I've seen from this team and am being patient as i know all of these new pieces will take time to gel especially when we have so many- you cannot have the 5 starters and not still give healthy minutes to High, Washington, Withers, Tremble, and some for Wojcik and Okonkwo as well. It's alot to manage and I especially like the respect i see from the kids giving each other on the court- i see very little ego out there and it's feels like old school Carolina ball IMO.

One play that stuck out to me was Cadeau trying to pass ahead to Ryan in transition, and Ryan never even turned to look for it.

Hope that's the last time Cormac makes that mistake.
That will change after more time on the court with EC.
Everyone will be expecting those passes.

It is kind of funny, we see a lot of considered lesser programs play strong this time of the year against big time programs. What a lot of folks don't realize is that these so called lesser programs are closer to being able to play against top D-1 schools than folks realize. The advantage that the bigger programs have is in the front courts, the major programs get the big time front court guys. Those lower level programs tend to have guards that can play with most anyone, they play without fear because they are expected to lose, the pressure is on the major D-1 teams because you feel like you have to blow out the lower level teams. Frankly, many times the coaching is better because those lower level programs don't get to rely on the ability to out talent, they don't have the guy that is more concerned with his NBA future than the game he is playing in. Their NBA is teams like UNC and they play us like their life depends on the out come.

EC will eventually be our starter. That much is clear. Bacot has improved in every aspect. RJ is a stone killer on both ends. Transfers + youngsters seem to be totally bought in and are developing in front of our eyes. Pax is starter worthy and I really don't understand why anyone would say otherwise. I don't see enough acknowledgement of the obvious learning curve from our staff though. Even when we praise Hubs for his bench usage, it is qualified by wondering if he will revert. Let's fully embrace all the positives and enjoy this special group of youngsters together! If EC can't handle coming off the bench, then he is not the mentally strong, smart, and skilled youngster I think he is!

Great write-up as usual G-7! I absolutely love the fact that we won handily without shooting a high 3 pt %. I guess rebounding and efficient 2s can win.....hmmmm. I also saw that many of their made 3s (& 2s) were contested even though we didn't always contest well or rotate properly. I am pleasantly surprised in the learning curves or EC, High, Washington, and Ingram! I am not at all surprised by Bacot, RJ, or Ryan!

I agree Cadeau was much better defensively and had some good passes despite not getting any assists (also had a couple good drives for scores), but he has to shoot better or it'll be hard to be an impact player. The Lehigh defenders were sagging off him so much, it was a bit alarming to see him stand wide open at the top of the key and not shoot. Looked a lot like Trimble's coverage last year.

I assume it's just early season jitters because he shot pretty well in high school, but his shot looks a little off so far. He doesn't look super comfortable from the college distance, as he's shot several within a couple steps inside the arc. He's also missed 3 of his 5 free throws so far. He would be more effective passing in half court offense if his guy has to guard him tightly.

Easy to say after such a monstrous game, but Bacot looks great. He does seem to be more aware with the ball and in a bit better shape. I'm hoping he can be even better than last year. I like Ingram's game so far too, but curious to see how he plays in Bahamas against better athletes.

If Trimble and High can carve out any kind of offensive role they deserve consistent minutes. Great motors and defense; Trimble's started looking more comfortable on drives too and his free throws didn't have the big hitch we saw last year. I'm impressed with his year-over-year progress.
Trimble will get Wojcik min soon if Wojcik only shoots 2 times per game ( His strength) I would like to see some set action to get both Wojcik and Ryan an early look in tge next game. If Wojcik is not shooting the basketball, then there are not many things he does better than the ultra athletic Trimble.

I can't wait to see this team operating at 100% efficiency and I agree that EC will need to be in the lineup for this to happen! Wojcik is also rebounding well and playing D well for his position. I think Trimble's minutes will increase and I hope they come from Bacot and RJ not the others. Keeping those two fresh is paramount. I would love to see more Trimble,High, Washington, and Okonkwo (wonder what in practice is keeping him on the bench) My favorite lineup (and the one I thought would start):
EC, RJ, Ingram, Withers, Bacot. They played together twice last game and each time extended the lead! (same for the previous game)

I remain not taking too much away until Cadeau starts.

Reactionary positives:
- Bacot's free throw shooting. Maybe a 70%+ FT season is within reach for him?

Reactionary negatives:
- Ingram's FT shooting remains something that's worth keeping an eye on.

Hooray for small sample size percentages though! It's early but it doesn't look like we're going to have a defense that forces a lot of turnovers. It means our shot defense and rebounding will need to be pretty solid in order to be a good defensive team.

Advanced stats vs Lehigh:
Pace: 76 possessions. That would've ranked #1 in the country by a mile last year (73.4)
Adjusted Offensive Efficiency: 113.0
Adjusted Defensive Efficiency: 98.4

Last edited:
One play that stuck out to me was Cadeau trying to pass ahead to Ryan in transition, and Ryan never even turned to look for it.

Hope that's the last time Cormac makes that mistake.
Yep. Yet another example of why EC needs to be on the floor from the tip now so guys can get used to playing with him. Trust me, the right transition mentaility that he brings will be internally viral.

Reactions: Tarheelsman71
I can't wait to see this team operating at 100% efficiency and I agree that EC will need to be in the lineup for this to happen! Wojcik is also rebounding well and playing D well for his position. I think Trimble's minutes will increase and I hope they come from Bacot and RJ not the others. Keeping those two fresh is paramount. I would love to see more Trimble,High, Washington, and Okonkwo (wonder what in practice is keeping him on the bench) My favorite lineup (and the one I thought would start):
EC, RJ, Ingram, Withers, Bacot. They played together twice last game and each time extended the lead! (same for the previous game)
Okonkwo is currently using Roberto Durans hands to catch passes. I really don't think he will play beyond mop up min this season.
I think he is a Brandon Huffman type insurance policy.

Okonkwo is currently using Roberto Durans hands to catch passes. I really don't think he will play beyond mop up min this season.
I think he is a Brandon Huffman type insurance policy.
Yeah. It's been limited minutes but so far Okonkwo looks significantly worse than Jalen/High. You can't really play four true bigs, so I think Okonkwo will have pretty limited minutes. Even one of Jalen/High could get short stick in bigger games where the rotation is tighter.

Any inkling when Cadeau starts?

Before December? During December? I can't imagine it would be after December right?

Okonkwo's big issue is his hands. Dude keeps fumbling perfect passes that should be easy dunks or layups.

But, he's definitely stronger and more physical than Washington and High. So I could see him getting playing time against beefy centers when Bacot needs a rest.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT