ADVERTISEMENT

Heart and sole: Detroiter walks 21 miles in work commute

Raising Heel

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2008
A van down by the river
Yup, it's exactly what you think it is:

But as he steps out into the cold, Robertson, 56, is steeled for an Olympic-sized commute. Getting to and from his factory job 23 miles away in Rochester Hills, he'll take a bus partway there and partway home. And he'll also walk an astounding 21 miles.
Five days a week. Monday through Friday.
It's the life Robertson has led for the last decade, ever since his 1988 Honda Accord quit on him.
His story has a happy ending. Several kind folks have chipped in to help him out:

Leedy created a Go Fund Me account for Robertson on Feb. 1. His goal was to raise $5,000. But in less than one day, he has raised more than $85,000 from more than 2,000 donors. The money will be used to buy Robertson a car, pay for car insurance, and provide him with financial services to help manage what's left from the donations.

Any person that makes that kind of an effort to get to and from work has my respect. Looks like a lot of folks and 2 car dealers are doing what they can to help James out . .

it takes me roughly a half-hour to walk 2 miles . . . and this guy walks 21 miles, daily . . ? Sheesh . .

Can y'all start a Go Fund Me account for me...? Thanks in advance.

Oh, what's my hardship you ask? I'm a die-hard Carolina Football fan......

The numbers aren't adding up for me with this story.

But if all of it is legit, yeah, this guy deserves a medal. 2 questions though:

1 - Why not get a place closer to where you work? Real estate in Detroit is ridiculously cheap.

2 - Why not get a job closer to your current home?

Out of those two, number 1 seems more likely it could happen.

Originally posted by gunslingerdick:

1 - Why not get a place closer to where you work? Real estate in Detroit is ridiculously cheap.

1 - The story said his girlfriend had inherited the house where they lived.

2 - He's been at the job 10 years and considers his co-workers family.

Both sound like he's a guy who doesn't like to change things, although it sounds pretty bizarre to me to be so strongly opposed to change that he would endure that commute for so long. The fact that he's never complained about it suggests that maybe he realizes he has the control to change his situation but chooses not to.

Originally posted by Raising Heel:

Originally posted by gunslingerdick:

1 - The story said his girlfriend had inherited the house where they lived.

2 - He's been at the job 10 years and considers his co-workers family.

Both sound like he's a guy who doesn't like to change things, although it sounds pretty bizarre to me to be so strongly opposed to change that he would endure that commute for so long. The fact that he's never complained about it suggests that maybe he realizes he has the control to change his situation but chooses not to.
He is happy to have a job...makes $10 something an hour....just accepts the commute as part of his daily routine!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT