ADVERTISEMENT

Home Attendance

UNC-75

Hall of Famer
Feb 11, 2008
Really is depressing and almost embarrassing to have had such a sparse crowd at the game today. Has the student body given up on this team? The alumni? Which part of the normal crowd doesn't show up these days. Even back in my day when the team was not very good we had a full crowd. Folks showed up and supported the team, win or lose and it was an event for the weekend. Hard to look at the pictures of a half empty at best stadium.

If you win, they will come.

Its hard to win without talent. And its hard to recruit talent when the game day atmosphere is lame. Even when people do show up, they sit on their ass the whole game and don't make any noise.

I too was embarrassed BUT lets cut folks some slack NC is STILL dealing with the Hurricane and its flooding and will be for some time I am willing to bet that a LOT of fans either could not get to the game due to traffic, roads, flooding issues at their house or a family members' house etc This is a terrible time in NC and a football game is really the last thing in the world I would want to go to

We DO have attendance issues no doubt. But today I certainly can understand if the crowd was sparse

I too was embarrassed BUT lets cut folks some slack NC is STILL dealing with the Hurricane and its flooding and will be for some time I am willing to bet that a LOT of fans either could not get to the game due to traffic, roads, flooding issues at their house or a family members' house etc This is a terrible time in NC and a football game is really the last thing in the world I would want to go to

We DO have attendance issues no doubt. But today I certainly can understand if the crowd was sparse
After effects of the hurricane are not the primary reason. Nor is it preponderantly about losinmg over the past couple of years. Following an 11 win season, fan support was lackluster. Fedora simply does not inspire fans, does not keep their passion aflame.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
After effects of the hurricane are not the primary reason. Nor is it preponderantly about losinmg over the past couple of years. Following an 11 win season, fan support was lackluster. Fedora simply does not inspire fans, does not keep their passion aflame.
I don't care for Fedora, but I do not believe that Larry Fedora's presence is what keeps people away from home football games. I don't think he HELPS to improve the situation. But, I also don't think the lack of butts in the seats is some protest against Larry Fedora.

UNC just doesn't have a fervent football fan base. Or, not as fervent as what you see at places like Clemson. It never really has had one that I ever saw. The last 10-20 years have really taken a toll. It also depends on the game. Look at the NC State game from 2012 and Gio's return for a TD. It was bulging that day.

Between Bunting, all of the NCAA crap going back to Marvin Austin, and then the AFAM crap, and Butch getting canned, and Fedora's failures, it's just been a buzzkill. Aside from 2015, it's been mediocre on its best day, with a few really shiny spots (the Gio game, for example).

I really believe that the basketball culture, and UNC fans used to winning so much, makes fans lack enthusiasm when you compare the lackluster football records.

I also think they enlarged that stadium way too much BEFORE they had a product on the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT